Sell 3-290(x) for single 780ti

veedubfreak

2[H]4U
I'm debating on dumping my 3 unlocked 290s and picking up either a single Titan Black or Ti Classified. How bad of an idea is this.

Here's the thought process.
Miners have run the price of 290s up to the point that I could easily turn a 200 dollar profit on each card.
The game I spend the vast majority of my time playing doesn't support Crossfire.
A single Ti will overclock higher than a single 290x
I can't stop tinkering with my damn machine.

Thoughts?

Oh right my machine:
4770k running at 4.3ghz on water
3x Dell 27" ultrasharps at 2560x1440 (7990x1440 bezel corrected)

I would sell them and go for a titan black and pocket the difference. Or keep them and make some money mining. Since you can only use one card and you have tri 1440's you're going to need the most vram and power possible out of a single card.

With that many pixels, aren't you going to want a dual card setup? Does your current game work with SLI?

Buying a single Titan Black was also something I was debating on, but memory is less of an issue with single card vs multi-card setups.

What are the overclock numbers looking like on the Ti Classified vs Titan Black? From most of the reading I have been doing, a single card isn't fast enough to really turn everything up to the point where you need the extra memory. And the whole point of this is to go back to single card due to the game I am playing.

Mining at the price of my electricity isn't really viable. These were bought before the 780Ti was a thing so at the time of purchase it was the best thing to do and for the price I bought 2 and ended up buying the third off of a buddy who decided he only needed 1 also :)

Read his post, the game he plays the most can only utilize one card. If you wanted to pocket even more money you could sell those 290's and buy a used regular Titan. Without knowing the game you're playing it's hard to recommend a card.You are going to need something very powerful unless it's a game that is old or not demanding graphically.

Buying a single Titan Black was also something I was debating on, but memory is less of an issue with single card vs multi-card setups.

What are the overclock numbers looking like on the Ti Classified vs Titan Black? From most of the reading I have been doing, a single card isn't fast enough to really turn everything up to the point where you need the extra memory. And the whole point of this is to go back to single card due to the game I am playing.

Mining at the price of my electricity isn't really viable. These were bought before the 780Ti was a thing so at the time of purchase it was the best thing to do and for the price I bought 2 and ended up buying the third off of a buddy who decided he only needed 1 also :)

What is the price of your electricity? I pay $0.17/KWH and can still mine a hefty profit!

what game are you playing that doesn't support CF or SLI? at that resolution, when you move on to the next game you'll probably regret having only a single card.

what game are you playing that doesn't support CF or SLI? at that resolution, when you move on to the next game you'll probably regret having only a single card.

I figure by the time a newer game comes out Maxwell will be out :)

Mechwarrior Online is what I'm playing pretty much solely.

oh well just play Titanfall instead.

*ducks*
*i had fun with the Titanfall beta*
*ducks lower*

I would sell them for a profit and buy one card , 78ti, to hold me over until Maxwell comes out. Titan black would be pointless unless you SLI them as you like changing things regularily. Then take the rest of the money and buy AMD cards at MSRP and flip them to miners. :)

I'd probably sell them and pick up a 780ti. No one knows how long mining will hold card prices up. If you can turn a profit now, I would go ahead and do it. When the mining bubble pops, I would assume the resale value of your cards will tank very hard.

oh well just play Titanfall instead.

*ducks*
*i had fun with the Titanfall beta*
*ducks lower*
I had tons of fun, myself. Going to buy it, almost certainly. Runs on any system (and looks good. Love what they did with the Source Engine), which is pleasant.

On-topic though, I think this is a pretty good idea, though if I were you and had some extra cash on hand, I'd make two of them into a mining rig and sell the third, then buy a 780Ti, but that's a bit expensive to do. You could make money selling them and buying a 780Ti, most certainly, and if you don't want to spend, that's a good idea.

I would highly suggest it im about to do the same with mine. Crossfire has been buggy since november

I have some 290 cards,also got a 780Ti.
Going to return the 780Ti.There is no real performance over a single 290 in games I am playing,plus I am just plain disappointed with the 780Ti.

Now lots of folks on here will tell you 780Ti is just better,but I actually own the cards and I do not find this to be true.

If you like geforce experience then 780ti is best. Than a 290x. And that's it small performance upgrade not worth theprice if card wasn't inflated (amd)

Iis that the place you need to wait 1-3 months to get the card? And yes i agree you need 4gb ram for 4k. Considering arma3 in 1440 res uses 3.6 gb+ (Highest ive sern while playing)

Ordered the 17th with ETA for delivery on the 24th with the free shipping option.

My 290x is sitting on 1325 core and 1600 memory, so I don't think your statement is exactly right. Let's just say some oc better than others.

1440x3 on a single card? Add to that at that res a Titan Black probably won't be any faster than a 290X. Look at 4k benches.

Seriously? :confused:

at 1440x3 you kinda need 3 290X's or atleast 2 Titan's. Its part of the price for playing at such high resolutions.

You don't need amd cards to make money off coins. You can spend that money on the exchange and profit similar to a stock exchange. Also no wait times since you are just buying and selling coins. Plus the money you make is a pittance anyways.

at 1440x3 you kinda need 3 290X's or atleast 2 Titan's. Its part of the price for playing at such high resolutions.

290X is faster than Titan. So is the 290 (non X). Especially in crossfire at hires. At that res they'd probably be faster than Titan Blacks.

I hope you are kidding??

I would like to see you play all games at low settings at 7680x1440 because you have a single GTX Titan Black.

For that resolution, you would need 3 x Titan Black or 3 x GTX 780ti for High settings or of course 3 x R9 290, which you already have.

My 290x is sitting on 1325 core and 1600 memory, so I don't think your statement is exactly right. Let's just say some oc better than others.

Your 290x is probably just stable for a benchmark run at those clocks. And you are probably pumping 1.5v into it for sure. Your clock is not 24/7.

Crossfire actually does work with MWO, you just have to add a custom profile for it to work:

- Open CCC and navigate to the 3D Application Settings tab
- Add MWOClient.exe, default installation path is C:/Program Files (x86)/ Piranha Games/ Mechwarrior Online/ Bin32
- Scroll down and change AMD CrossfireX mode to: Use AMD pre-defined profile
- Then select Bioshock.exe as the Application Profile
- Finally add this to your user config file: r_MultiGPU = 1

WVUXTYW.jpg

Afterburner shows ok utilization on both GPUs:
wX1sZVG.jpg

And framerate is pretty smooth as well will all details to the max. Screenshot: 170fps@1920x1200 running fraps with Crossfire Sapphire tri-x OC 290Xs, i7-980@4Ghz
Full size 1920x1200: http://i.imgur.com/Ew7EJVh.jpg
AY5tAaM.jpg

The game just got the new UI patch. In March they should be releasing the DX11 patch (and hopefully proper multi gpu support) and finally in April a full launcher.

Last edited:
I'd run some Eyefinity tests for you but my rig is currently mining and the time that would take me to set it all up is literally money lost for me :p

IMO...I don't see any reason to get used Titans over a 780 - the 780 with a custom PCB overclocks to easily surpass the Titan performance wise, and by a good margin at that.

I guess just in terms of value the GTX 780 provides far more than the Titan does, and easily matches/passes it performance wise with an overclock. With all metrics considered such as OC'ing, cost, heat, noise, software, I do think the vanilla 780 is the best bang for the buck for the time being... You can also match 780ti performance with a 780, assuming you buy (again) a custom PCB overclocked 780.

edit: Nevermind! I see now that the OP is running 1440x3 in surround. I guess that would make a stronger argument for more VRAM and perhaps used Titans, I suppose.

Back