Selfies Killed More People Than Sharks This Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
Did you guys know that more people were killed by selfies than sharks this year? Now you do. :D

According to a new study, there have now been more deaths this year from selfies than there have been from shark attacks. Ahem, we repeat, sharks! The death toll for selfie-related deaths now totals 12 people, whereas deaths related to shark attacks totals 8 people.

I gotta say, that selfie in the post looks badass though.

Two of the other interesting selfie deaths:
*old guy died falling down the stairs at the Taj Mahal
* guy was gored to death by a bull at a "bull run" where the let the bulls run through the streets. I can't believe this event exists.

It's definitely sensationalist to say there's been only 8 shark deaths this year; that's only where they were recorded.

Point the camera away from you, or let someone else take the picture; it could save your life, and your dignity.

To be fair to selfies, more people were taking selfies this year than swimming with sharks. How often are you swimming in water with sharks? For me, this year so far it's 0 minutes.

To be fair to selfies, more people were taking selfies this year than swimming with sharks. How often are you swimming in water with sharks? For me, this year so far it's 0 minutes.

Good consideration

Every time you swim in the ocean. It's kinda where they live.

This article mentions deaths only, but I wonder how many serious (need hospitalization) injuries there were.

To be fair, that picture is actually selfie worth IMO. At the link though the guy driving his jeep while a hilarious conclusion was not selfie worthy.

So you haven't swam in the ocean this year?

If you have, then you went swimming with sharks. Anything you go into the ocean there are sharks just a short swim away, it just that most sharks don't attack people.

I wonder if there have been any people killed by sharks while taking a selfie? :)

Since shark attacks don't result completely from the person who was attacked being stupid and selfies-inflicted deaths are basically totally being dumb, I'm not sure they're fair to compare to one another. I mean, like use something else where someone gets killed by making a choice to be stupid, like driving too fast or smoking.

Since shark attacks don't result completely from the person who was attacked being stupid and selfies-inflicted deaths are basically totally being dumb, I'm not sure they're fair to compare to one another. I mean, like use something else where someone gets killed by making a choice to be stupid, like driving too fast or smoking.

But how would the journalist get people to click their article if it doesn't have search terms like "selfie stick and shark deaths"?

For me it was plenty of time - Mexico, San Diego, South Florida. Although I've managed to take 0 selfies - even with my wife present on vacation.

I think it's a fair comparison. Every now and then you get media hysteria over "OMG shark attacks are spiking worldwide, there has been a 33% increase@(!*(@!! Hide yo children!"...and all that happened is that it went from 6 to 8.

Meanwhile, selfie stick are dumb, but don't require hysteria, and still kill more people. Although I think that could probably roll up into a broader category of "being stupid" that probably kills many, many people each year.

But how would the journalist get people to click their article if it doesn't have search terms like "selfie stick and shark deaths"?

Hey. If article/headline says more people die from selfies than smoking:eek:.... you got my attention.

If you're taking a selfie, it better damn be a place that makes sense (like the OP photo).

Personally, I prefer self portraits. A lot more equipment (tripod, lighting, etc etc), they have so much more flair!

If you have, then you went swimming with sharks. Anything you go into the ocean there are sharks just a short swim away, it just that most sharks don't attack people.

I wonder if there have been any people killed by sharks while taking a selfie? :)

Not everyone lives close to the ocean or visits it every year ... I think the last time I went in the ocean was over 10 years ago ... although I have been around several tornadoes so I guess there was some risk of a Sharknado attack :cool:

yes. we need more
more ways to give humanity the tools to kill itself.

If Darwinism actually worked, humans should all be geniuses by now. It seems the opposite has happened: More stupid people are breeding and doing even dumber things each year.

Every time you swim in the ocean. It's kinda where they live.

Clearly he's part of the 1% who doesn't live near an ocean... (Or does and just swims in their backyard pool) You know, that small percentage that doesn't live on the coast. :p

If Darwinism actually worked, humans should all be geniuses by now. It seems the opposite has happened: More stupid people are breeding and doing even dumber things each year.

it is "fittest", not "smartest"

a lot of "smart" people are pretty dumb for certain things

And GM has killed more people than selfi takers and shark attacks combined.

Did you guys know that more people were killed by selfies than sharks this year? Now you do. :D

According to a new study, there have now been more deaths this year from selfies than there have been from shark attacks. Ahem, we repeat, sharks! The death toll for selfie-related deaths now totals 12 people, whereas deaths related to shark attacks totals 8 people.

You have to question that stat, when the only example of a death given is a guy who had a heart attack

I gotta say, that selfie in the post looks badass though.

Yes. I'd buy a selfie stick and go to the roof of that building to get that picture.

Back