Self-Driving Cars Will 'Always' Cause Motion Sickness

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember that article a couple months ago (here) that claimed self-driving cars will often cause motion sickness? Apparently "often" has been upgraded to "always."

Mr. Sivak and his co-researcher Brandon Schoettle looked at the three main factors that cause motion sickness (conflict between vestibular and visual inputs; inability to anticipate the direction of motion; and lack of control over the direction of motion) and determined that they are elevated in self-driving vehicles.

So...in other words like every other time someone else is driving...

So...in other words like every other time someone else is driving...

Yeah, I don't get why this would be different than being a passenger, riding in a limo or in a taxi. What makes this different from those scenarios.

The difference is your precious clicks on the advertisements surrounding this article.

I have only gotten motion sick once, and that was sitting on a couch after trying weed for the first, and last, time. I doubt I'd have issues with self driving cars.

iI so often get motion sick when Im not driving. i cant even eat in a going car

I have only gotten motion sick once, and that was sitting on a couch after trying weed for the first, and last, time. I doubt I'd have issues with self driving cars.

really not trying to be argumentative here, but are you sure that was motion sickness? I ask because maybe it was just being high. Again not to be rude, but if you've never experienced motion sickness from moving or observing motion and never been high before or after how can you really say just what it was that you were feeling? Granted you were likely high after having smoked marijuana, but the motion sickness just seems like it could be lost in interpretation somewhere along the way. I say this having regularly suffered from both conditions myself far more than one time.

really not trying to be argumentative here, but are you sure that was motion sickness? I ask because maybe it was just being high. Again not to be rude, but if you've never experienced motion sickness from moving or observing motion and never been high before or after how can you really say just what it was that you were feeling? Granted you were likely high after having smoked marijuana, but the motion sickness just seems like it could be lost in interpretation somewhere along the way. I say this having regularly suffered from both conditions myself far more than one time.

I agree. Pot can make some people nauseous (and the better the pot, the more likely you are to get ill). Doesn't mean it wasn't motion sickness, but pot seems like a better suspect.

I had the same problem he had once. It is really bad, similar to motion sickness but amplified due to the THC. Same sick feeling but your brain matches the distortion of motion sickness more heavily, so if the room is spinning you whole body will feel it not just your head.

You sound high.

"regularly suffered from both conditions"? :D

The only thing that makes me motion sick in a car is trying to read. Other than that I'm pretty good with being a passenger.

Maybe we'll start seeing some new upgrade packages available for vehicles.

"Motion sickness? No worries, for only $3499 you can get the premium 'vomit comet' package ... "

Motion sickness... from sitting on a stationary couch :confused:

Motion sickness... from sitting on a stationary couch :confused:

You don't have to be in something that's moving to feel motion sickness

I had a serious head injury a few months ago, and I still get motion sickness just lying down or looking up. Before this happened I had little or no problem with motion sickness, I was ok even on a boat or while reading in a car.

Its usually caused by a conflict between what the brain thinks should be happening vs. what the inner ear is reporting. It's very possible that pot could have that effect on some people.

Good posture and focusing your eyes to the distance in front of you usually helps to avoid motion sickness. I learned this recently and my life-long struggle with motion sickness in backs of cars an airplanes is almost never an issue now. Oh, and proper diet/exercise helps as well, of course.

The only time I've ever gotten motion sickness was in the back of a V-22 Osprey...in straight and level flight. There's something with the vibration that gets me I think. I've been in nearly every other military transport aircraft, but the Osprey is the only one that makes me sick to me stomach. Cars...eh, no issues.

Cars Driven By Your Aging Parents Will Cause Motion Sickness ‘Often’ to ‘Always,’ Study Finds
Now that's a headline I can agree with.

"Apparently "often" has been upgraded to "always.""

Well that explains why every single bus and train window I see is covered with vomit.
/s

Plebs, getting sick from being chauffeured around... how will you ever become rich and famous?

The only difference between riding in a taxi and a self-driving car is that the taxi has a far better driver...;)

Yeah, passengers get sick. But whatever, I'd rather have a computer drive me around than a person considering how awful I drive and how unsafe and enraged a lot of people I see around me like to drive. Totally worth the vomit.

I think vertigo is probably more likely what you are talking about.

The only time I've ever gotten motion sickness was in the back of a V-22 Osprey...in straight and level flight. There's something with the vibration that gets me I think. I've been in nearly every other military transport aircraft, but the Osprey is the only one that makes me sick to me stomach. Cars...eh, no issues.

I never was in an Osprey, Hueys, Blackhawks, Shithooks, C131s and 140s, and even a piece of shit flying wooden crate with wings that I can't remember the name of. Holy shit that was a scarey ride landing in the back of that into Mosul at night. I couldn't see anything except the flairs popping off and couldn't tell if I was upside down, climbing or diving. Well I actually could but the directions switched so fast it was the transitions the keep you from knowing what was coming up next. When we got off that bird and we could see each others faces again we all had that stupid grin. You know the one I am talking about if you've seen it.

Then there is all the Tanks and APCs and shit I have been in or drove, never any motion sickness. The only thing that ever gave me motion sickness was video games, Doom Was terrible, specially the crawling wall patterns. Deus Ex was bad too, turning off weapon bob usually helps. I do better with 3D titles that are less frantic.

I'm pretty sure you do. That's why they call it motion sickness.

No, motion Sickness is what you get when your body is confused about motion. That's why games can do it, the disconnect from what your eyes are telling you and what your body isn't feeling fucks you up.

Don't forget vertigo... I woke up one night with that and was like WTF!!!?!?!?!

"Apparently "often" has been upgraded to "always.""

Well that explains why every single bus and train window I see is covered with vomit.
/s

The size of the vehicle matters when it comes to motion sickness, at least it matters to my motion sickness. I only get motion sick when reading in cars and not on trains, buses or planes. No idea why, but that's how it works.

For gamers who get motion sickness, maybe the fix is a seat that moves, shifts back and forth as you run. Forget all that stupid force feedback vibration crap. When your character runs, seat has a little bob to it, maybe some bounce when you jump. Just a thought, for those that suffer of course.

For gamers who get motion sickness, maybe the fix is a seat that moves, shifts back and forth as you run. Forget all that stupid force feedback vibration crap. When your character runs, seat has a little bob to it, maybe some bounce when you jump. Just a thought, for those that suffer of course.

Oh yea that is exactly what I want. Something that spills my doritos and mtn dew all over the place (facepalm)

I got motion sickness from riding the loop-the-loop demo on Oculus Rift. Good times. :D

I think the idea is that people in the cars will be more focused on doing other things, phone,laptop/movies etc. Typically the act of simply reminding your self that you are moving is enough for most people to avoid motion sickness the trouble comes when people are very focused on other things and are getting jostled around.

Not every one gets motion sickness though but I'll bet for the people who get it badly these cars wont be a great experience.

The only thing that makes me motion sick in a car is trying to read. Other than that I'm pretty good with being a passenger.

Just move the thing you're reading around enough so your brain 'knows' that your body is moving; you don't have to wave it around, just move it a few inches, and not so fast that you have difficulty reading it. It resolves the discrepancy between your eyes telling you that you're still, and your inner ear telling you that you're moving. That can cause motion sickness. Works for a lot of people I've hired as new drivers.

Back