Self-Driving Car Game Proves You Suck At Driving

HardOCP News

[H] News
This self-driving car game is supposed to show you how self driving cars are vastly superior to their human counterparts but, for some reason, the game seems incredibly easy. Give it a go and see what you think.

"26 cars autonomous cars"?

do my eyes deceive me or is W missing? is this WASD discrimination?

Pfft.

It doesn't take much to program a "You did okay, but X would have done better! So NYAH!" response to everything.

Let me state this.

This game is bloody fricken awful.

Show me a car in real life where you drive it and the only functions are ramming on the brakes or flooring the gas.

Game is instantly invalid.

Let me state this.

Show me a car in real life where you drive it and the only functions are ramming on the brakes or flooring the gas.

You obviously haven't seen people drive around here :cool:

Way more fun to crash the cars. I wait for some of the initial wrecks to clear up, and get a car that moved into the inside track. If you get that car up to speed in a loop or two, the next car it hits will cause it to flip around in the air on impact. Much more fun.

The 'simulation' does not simluate analog controls found in real cars. The throttle is simply OFF or MAX.

While the computer in the game gets full analog control.

Now what happens when i spoof the automated car's gps location and put radar reflective/absorptive material on the road?
Technology isn't infallible. All it takes is a little bit of ingenuity and an understand on how it works to produce disastrous results.

Way more fun to crash the cars. I wait for some of the initial wrecks to clear up, and get a car that moved into the inside track. If you get that car up to speed in a loop or two, the next car it hits will cause it to flip around in the air on impact. Much more fun.

I agree, I'm not sure what happened but I actually had a car move inside the circle of cars and zoom around super fast without colliding with others. Take that Google, yes, I can't do better than Google self driving cars if cars are tailgating each other driving at a regular speed, however what I can do is switch lanes and zoom by all those accidents waiting to happen :)

Now what happens when i spoof the automated car's gps location and put radar reflective/absorptive material on the road?
Technology isn't infallible. All it takes is a little bit of ingenuity and an understand on how it works to produce disastrous results.

And you hope there's no way to track you down because then you get brought up on attempted murder or manslaughter charges.

lets create a game to prove a point, with no relevance to real world scenarios

Let me state this.

you just described my wifes driving.

And you hope there's no way to track you down because then you get brought up on attempted murder or manslaughter charges.

It was a silly idea to present as a flaw. It's like saying all conventional vehicles and drivers will fail, because they are all vulnerable to napalm.

Let's just say that in 15 000 miles I needed new rear tires. Front ones were like new :)

Kind of hard to track down someone who can be mobile who's doing this.
GPS signals are radio. Last i checked you can transmit on the go. The new way of assassinations will be to tell the car to jump off a bridge or move onto oncoming traffic, or move onto train tracks. It would be pretty hard to find physical evidence.

you just described my wifes driving.

Which is far better than most men as guys tend to ignore the break completely and just jam the gas pedal to the floor while snarling and cussing in a hormone-fueled rampage of sweat, body odor, and endlessly shedding back hair.

Let me state this.

I came to say this exact thing. It's either 100% Gas or 100% Brakes.

Since it's binary on/off, I wonder if I can beat the autonomous cars by pressing all the keys at once, taking control of all the cars and going at full speed.

Kind of hard to track down someone who can be mobile who's doing this.
GPS signals are radio. Last i checked you can transmit on the go.
And has anyone ever gotten in trouble for jamming cell signals while moving about? Yes they have. It's hard to track someone down yes, but not impossible. So the question you want to ask yourself (or whomever hypothetical hacker) is do you really want to risk a murder/manslaughter charge for the sake of hahas? Or even if it is an assassination attempt, a bullet to the head as you drive by works just as well, or cutting the brakes if they're at the top of a hill, or ... bottom line is there is going to be ways to kill people, lets dispense with the idea that it's something to worry that much about because there's now a new way to kill someone.

looks like the same thinking behind the mcdonalds game made a few years ago

And has anyone ever gotten in trouble for jamming cell signals while moving about? Yes they have. It's hard to track someone down yes, but not impossible. So the question you want to ask yourself (or whomever hypothetical hacker) is do you really want to risk a murder/manslaughter charge for the sake of hahas? Or even if it is an assassination attempt, a bullet to the head as you drive by works just as well, or cutting the brakes if they're at the top of a hill, or ... bottom line is there is going to be ways to kill people, lets dispense with the idea that it's something to worry that much about because there's now a new way to kill someone.
People get tracked down jamming because they're stupid. I understand how triangulation works, i know how foxhunting works as well. You switch to a directed antenna it becomes a hell of a lot harder to triangulate. You also don't do it all the time, only for when it matters.
It's a lot harder to hide a bullet to the head or cutting someone's brakes because it leaves physical evidence. When the only evidence you have is something went awry with the navigation system, it isn't conclusive. Who's to say it was a sensor malfunction or a murder?

When you don't have a variable speed control and instead have wide open throttle/full braking, of course an autonomous version that features linear throttle and braking is going to do better. Give me the ability to vary the throttle and I'll be as efficient as the autonomous cars are.

Same here. Driving is a binary thing to many. 1 = go, 0 = stop

Pfft. Easy.

Capture_zpsebgck4jp.png

Same here. Driving is a binary thing to many. 1 = go, 0 = stop

My mother has three positions for each pedal:
Not pressed at all.
Pressed very slightly (barely maintain current speed for gas pedal; decelerate so that you go from 20 to zero in three blocks for the brake pedal.)
Pressed to the floor.

There are certain speeds at which she seems incapable of maintaining. Like 45 MPH. It's "slow down to 40 MPH, then floor it up to 50 MPH, then steadily slow back down to 40, ad nauseum. (And I do mean nauseum...)

Is your name Wile E. Coyote?

What this game teaches is that if you want to get far you've gotta take a few others out first, and block everyone else.

SelfDriving_zpsb1jjupwu.jpg

yes, bad game. Had they given you some control, it would have different results, which would be counter to what they want you to achieve (or fail...)

Weak sauce.

Meh game. Point well understood at possibly better efficiency, when the removal of possible douchebag is pulled from equation. That is after the tech matures. The idea of self driving cars has some potential I suppose. I personally enjoy driving myself.

Now bring on self driving RV's and then I may liven up a bit.

Curious though where this thinking could lead. Surely burly bus drivers will wail when they are removed form city transit, or cabby's. Where would this tech be introduced first? Will it come with a firewall? :)

Let me state this.

You just described my wife's driving to the T.

Master shake and blown should go on a double date sometime. Wonder who the third wheel will be.

Back