Selecting an AM3+ chip

GhengisKhan

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm pretty sure that I damaged my current FX6300 and my 970 Mobo by OCing too far, with too high of a voltage. I set BIOS back to defaults, but the PC is very slow to boot, having problems even getting into Windows or Linux every time.
I bought a new Gigabyte 990FX Gaming+ motherboard, but it won't even post with this CPU in it. Worst case scenario is that I end up building a new PC, one part at a time.
I live a short drive from Microcenter, so I'm shopping there since I save up by stashing a little cash away each payday.
I'm looking at their "Hot Deals", and they have an FX8320E Black @3.2Ghz for $89.99 here and an FX8350 Black @4.0Ghz for $129.99 here. I'm leaning towards the 8350 just because it's 4.0ghz. But, they also have an FX9590 Black @4.7ghz for $169.99 here which would require me to save up for another 2 weeks (paid every 2 weeks).
Would I be that much better off getting the 9590, or would one of the other 2 be a better bang for my buck? Also, if I wait to get this one I would be past the 10 day return period for the mobo.
Right now I'm installing Mint Linux over top of Win10 on my SSD to see if this clears up at least one of the problems with this system, but it would only be a temporary fix, since I really want to use the new motherboard instead of this one.
I'm also open to other suggestions.

Why don't you wait 2-3 weeks and wait for Ryzen to launch?
Would a Ryzen work with the mobo I just bought? Or am I looking at spending $1000, when I can barely squeak by the money I'm spending/spent on this setup already?

Oh, and I don't do anything that would require the newest, best processor around. I do some photo editing, web browsing, and the occasional game. Hell, I'm still using my GTX 460.

I was gonna say wait for Ryzen only because prices might drop even further, but no it won't work with that mobo. I would probably just get the 8320E if you want to save money, maybe get a decent cooler and overclock a bit.

I have the 8320E in my Hyper-V rig, good processor. Lower power usage than the other two options you listed.

I have the 8320E in my Hyper-V rig, good processor. Lower power usage than the other two options you listed.
Power usage shouldn't be a problem, I have a KingWin 850w PSU. I'm thinking which I would get the best bang for my buck with. I do plan on upgrading the GPU within the next few months, and trying out a little bit more gaming. With this in mind, would I be better off going with the 8350?, or is the 8320E still a better deal?

well the 9590 needs an aio. so keep that in mind. pretty much every 8xxx chip will clock to 4.5ish on air even the "E" chips, just at lower power. so you might as well go with the 8320e and clock it up. just watch that voltage, 1.45v-ish max on air! I'm still unsure of that psu though. yes it was decent when it came out but its starting to get old. maybe ask MC to test when youre there next. just to be sure.

well the 9590 needs an aio. so keep that in mind. pretty much every 8xxx chip will clock to 4.5ish on air even the "E" chips, just at lower power. so you might as well go with the 8320e and clock it up. just watch that voltage, 1.45v-ish max on air! I'm still unsure of that psu though. yes it was decent when it came out but its starting to get old. maybe ask MC to test when youre there next. just to be sure.
What do you mean by aio? I think All In One... All in One, what? Also, as for cooler, I've got a CM 212 EVO with 2 high-pressure 120mm fans, so I should be good there. At stock speeds/volts with my 6300, it keeps idle at about 3-4C above ambient, and only goes up about 15C up from there when at full load on all 6 cores for 45min.
I will definitely take the PSU with me to MC if they can test them out.

yup a water cooler and yeah your 212 if fine for 4.4-4.5 on any of these chips.

Get the 8320E, it'll do the same thing as all the others. Seriously, a vishera chip is a vishera chip no matter which way you slice it. 9590 will be a pain in the ass to run because they overvolt the hell out of them to get that 5.0ghz boost out of the box, they're all leaky power hungry chips.

Thank you all for arming me with the info I need on this. I'll be getting the 8320E tomorrow morning then.

Get the 8320E, it'll do the same thing as all the others. Seriously, a vishera chip is a vishera chip no matter which way you slice it. 9590 will be a pain in the ass to run because they overvolt the hell out of them to get that 5.0ghz boost out of the box, they're all leaky power hungry chips.
I just looked at the chips again, the 8320 is a piledriver, not a vishera. I'm thinking that I might just go with the 8350 because it is a vishera.

That article says that the vishera is based on the bulldozer/piledriver architecture and the 32nm process. That would tell me that it's not the same thing.

I'm pretty sure that I damaged my current FX6300 and my 970 Mobo by OCing too far, with too high of a voltage. I set BIOS back to defaults, but the PC is very slow to boot, having problems even getting into Windows or Linux every time.
I bought a new Gigabyte 990FX Gaming+ motherboard, but it won't even post with this CPU in it. Worst case scenario is that I end up building a new PC, one part at a time.
I live a short drive from Microcenter, so I'm shopping there since I save up by stashing a little cash away each payday.
I'm looking at their "Hot Deals", and they have an FX8320E Black @3.2Ghz for $89.99 here and an FX8350 Black @4.0Ghz for $129.99 here. I'm leaning towards the 8350 just because it's 4.0ghz. But, they also have an FX9590 Black @4.7ghz for $169.99 here which would require me to save up for another 2 weeks (paid every 2 weeks).
Would I be that much better off getting the 9590, or would one of the other 2 be a better bang for my buck? Also, if I wait to get this one I would be past the 10 day return period for the mobo.
Right now I'm installing Mint Linux over top of Win10 on my SSD to see if this clears up at least one of the problems with this system, but it would only be a temporary fix, since I really want to use the new motherboard instead of this one.

The 9590 also needs a logic board that can handle the current draw. For some reason I cannot get to the CPU support list for that board.

Assuming the board can handle the current draw, you have a beefy enough PSU, and you have a basic watercooler or good aftermarket air cooler: the 9590 is nice if stuck in that world.

Otherwise- the 8350 is where I'd go. Nice thing about that chip is it can be overclocked very easily. Sometimes to 9590 levels.

If your workload is threaded, these are very underrated processors.

I just looked at the chips again, the 8320 is a piledriver, not a vishera. I'm thinking that I might just go with the 8350 because it is a vishera.

Piledriver = Vishera. They're the same thing. Just like Bulldozer = Zambezi.

Piledriver is the second iteration of the Bulldozer architecture. Vishera is the code name for Piledriver dies built for AM3+. Trinity and Richland are Piledriver dies built for FM2/FM2+.

8320e is binned for low voltage. Conversely, there is more room for overvolting to reach higher clock speeds.

You will have no issue with the FX 8320E. One thing though, if you can, I would return the Gigabyte 990FX Gaming and pick up a Asus 970 Pro Aura and save $30 right there. I use the 970 Pro in my home computer and it does well with overclocking, an Intel NIC and RGB lighting, if you want that. I am running a FX 8300 at 4.6 GHz on the 970 Pro and it is solid and stable. (I am using the Noctua NH-D15 in a Coolermaster Master Case 5 though.) Enjoy.

You will have no issue with the FX 8320E. One thing though, if you can, I would return the Gigabyte 990FX Gaming and pick up a Asus 970 Pro Aura and save $30 right there. I use the 970 Pro in my home computer and it does well with overclocking, an Intel NIC and RGB lighting, if you want that. I am running a FX 8300 at 4.6 GHz on the 970 Pro and it is solid and stable. (I am using the Noctua NH-D15 in a Coolermaster Master Case 5 though.) Enjoy.
Thanks for the recommendation. With the speed of current PCs, I don't think I'm going to be overclocking this build any time soon. As for case, I'm still rocking a Cooler Master HAF 912. Great case, good airflow, plenty of drive bays, still looks sexy. And for cooling, I'm pretty happy with my 212 EVO.

One thing though, if you can, I would return the Gigabyte 990FX Gaming
That part I agree with.

and pick up a Asus 970 Pro Aura
...but not this. If you can return the MB, do so and wait for Rizen. Only a couple of weeks (supposedly).

I mean, there's nothing really wrong with staying with AM3+, except that AM4 is soooo close.

That part I agree with.

...but not this. If you can return the MB, do so and wait for Rizen. Only a couple of weeks (supposedly).

I mean, there's nothing really wrong with staying with AM3+, except that AM4 is soooo close.
Except he would be looking at 300 for a CPU and 200 for the am4 Mobo and ddr4 where for 90 he can get the 8320e

Yea, I'm definitely not interested in getting a Ryzen at this point. AM3+ is more than capable for what I do with it. I love building my own systems, modding the hell out of them, and doing a lot of other [H] type of activities, but I just don't feel the need to pay a premium to have the latest and greatest stuff available. I've just got too many other things to spend my money on that is more important to me at this time. (Like spoiling our grandson rotten). No, I'm not really old enough to have a 2 year old grandson, but we started early, and so did our daughter. Not Springer early, but I'm 42 and the wife is 44.
Back to the task at hand. I'm going to swap the mobo out for the ASUS 970 one, and pick up the 8320E. Are we sure that MC would be able to do a proper test of my PSU? And, if so how much they would charge?

I've just got too many other things to spend my money on that is more important to me at this time. (Like spoiling our grandson rotten). No, I'm not really old enough to have a 2 year old grandson, but we started early, and so did our daughter. Not Springer early, but I'm 42 and the wife is 44.
A grown man with his priorities in order. No sweat. If AM3+ will do it for you, then that's great. My folks are still running Phenom II x4 970BE's and are totally happy with 'em.

Last edited:
A grown man with his priorities in order. No sweat. If AM3+ will do it for you, then that's great. My folks are still running Phenom II x4 970BE's and are totally happy with 'em.
I'm not that old. ;)
I am going to get a much needed GPU upgrade, just had some hard times over the past few years, but things are looking up. I just can't justify the cost of current gen stuff. Never have. I usually get stuff that was great just before or after something newer comes out. And then I'll OC it to make it run at least as good, if not better than the stock new stuff.

I would recommend the FX-8300 over the 8320E, it's basically the same chip just binned lower but if you plan on overclocking anyway you will be fine. I run my 8300 at 4.8GHz with an H100i AIO. I just looked and the price difference on amazon is only $5 between the 8300 and 8320E, but I still don't think you are guaranteed any higher overclocks with the 8320E versus the 8300.

That part I agree with.

Yeah, but he made clear that his budget does not fit that scenario. Otherwise, I would agree.

Edit: Ah, I see you already responded to the OP later, good. :)

Dude, I don't mean to hit below the belt, but if you need to save up for an additional two weeks to spend an extra $40 on a microprocessor, you are doing it entirely wrong.

I also have concerns being that you are 44 with a 2 year old grandchild in this scenario.

I had my first at 20 and ran hand me down computers for about 6 years... No buying anything until I could truly afford it.

Get the FX8320e. Mine was not a great overclocker. (not even stable at 3.6ghz at stock volts) With a All in one water cooler i set voltage to 1.275V and it was stable at 4ghz. Temps were not a concern, i never tried to push it further. I have no doubt you could hit 4.4 or something with 1.4v if you so choose, but i found at completely stock settings the FX-8320e worked great for me until i got VR.

I am now waiting for Ryzen and im shooting for a $259 1600X with a $150 x370 motherboard.

Dude, I don't mean to hit below the belt, but if you need to save up for an additional two weeks to spend an extra $40 on a microprocessor, you are doing it entirely wrong.

I also have concerns being that you are 44 with a 2 year old grandchild in this scenario.

I had my first at 20 and ran hand me down computers for about 6 years... No buying anything until I could truly afford it.
It's not that I don't have the money to just go buy whatever I want, I just have to clear it with the wife. She handles the budget at our house. Always has, since I was in the Navy and she didn't have a choice. She does such a great job with it, that for the most part I don't mind. I just get an allowance each week for gas, snacks and drinks at work, and to buy lunch out a couple of times a week. To save up for my hobbies, I just skip eating out and cut back on the snacks/drinks at work. We're definitely not poor by any sense of the word. If I wanted to I could retire by the time I'm 50, but I like my work.

Damnit... I need a new PSU. I plug it in and the power light comes on, and when I hit the power button the other lights blink and the fans spin about 1/4 inch, but nothing else happens. This is the same thing that was happening before hooking up this setup. The only things in common between this system and the one with the Gigabyte board that wouldn't boot either is the case and the PSU. Guess I'll just be using my phone to browse the web for a week or so, before I'll be able to see how the new mobo-CPU combo work. Not too big of a deal. I can stay pretty busy with work, other hobbies, and spending time with the wife.

Since you're running the same thing as me, do you have any issues under Windows 10 with the whole machine just hanging for 2-3 seconds sometimes? I picked up the 970 Pro Aura last week for my spare 8350 and put on 8GB of EVGA 2133 and it seems to have some weird stutters. No OC yet, although I did turn APM off and it still does the same thing.

I tried windows 7 and it runs flawlessly, no stutters. Only happens in 10.

Since you're running the same thing as me, do you have any issues under Windows 10 with the whole machine just hanging for 2-3 seconds sometimes? I picked up the 970 Pro Aura last week for my spare 8350 and put on 8GB of EVGA 2133 and it seems to have some weird stutters. No OC yet, although I did turn APM off and it still does the same thing.

I tried windows 7 and it runs flawlessly, no stutters. Only happens in 10.

Hard drive or SSD? So far, no but, ever since I physically moved my computer, my wireless Logitech G602 will briefly stutter for a couple of seconds, once in a great while.

Hard drive or SSD? So far, no but, ever since I physically moved my computer, my wireless Logitech G602 will briefly stutter for a couple of seconds, once in a great while.

Using a 950 Pro. I was going to use a SATA m.2 X400 but I didn't realize the slot is PCI-E only. Its really weird, like when I open Origin or a game the whole computer goes into slo-mo for several seconds.

Using a 950 Pro. I was going to use a SATA m.2 X400 but I didn't realize the slot is PCI-E only. Its really weird, like when I open Origin or a game the whole computer goes into slo-mo for several seconds.

Do you have any other drives connected or an external hard drive?

Back