Selecting a file auto ajusts it left. Don't want it to do this.

mr. nails

Limp Gawd
there's got to be an option on how to make folders NOT do this. not sure if it did this before or not. i recently formatted and am now noticing it. using windows 7 now and it DID NOT do this in vista.

not sure how to explain.

if u have 30 files in a window. 10 in the 1st column,10 in the 2nd and 10 in the 3rd. if i select a file out of the 2nd column the folder that the files are in auto adjusts itself left and now i'm on the 3rd column. if i were to double click the file i wanted in the 2nd column i would in fact be double clicking on a file in the 3rd column. if that makes sense.

how to make it NOT do this. i want to click on a file and the screen stays as is without moving. i looked into folder options, but did not see anything like that.

edit* i take that back. if i double click all it does is scroll the files left until i have no more files. very annoying.

uninstalled mouse, used a new mouse, and unplugged keyboard too. still does the above.

edit** apparently there is NO fix for this unless u maximize the window you are in. then what's the point of having windows? i miss vista already.

http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/2097

Last edited:
I've just had to get used to this by not clicking on files unless I need to. Use the scrollbar to navigate through the file list and click files until you're "ready".

So I had to play around with this to understand your point. All my views are Detail or Icon so I've never noticed this before. One thing you can do is go to the Small Icon view. The issue there is that you don't get the full file name and you don't get partial files, everything fits in the view.

I don't think that this is an issue that most would consider major enough to go back to Vista.

yeah this really bugs me too..

I've gotten use to just clicking once, then double clicking the file...

I've never ran into it, but yea this would be a PITA, I don't know if it's an oversight on Microsoft's part or by design for whatever reason (I can't think of any reason why they'd have it do this).

But I'd +1 Heatless, it's hardly a reason to go back to Vista for.

just for those who don't understand what we are talking about...

say I want to open the file with the red arrow, so I try to double click it...

2pry0c4.jpg

but before you can even double click it a single click will do this...

2hd18j4.jpg

That is because the file name is partially shown. it shifts it so that the full file name is shown.
I always use detail view myself, personally.

Ahh, I thought we were talking of something else.

Now that you post screenshots, yep- Zepher is correct.

Microsoft assumes you want to see the full file name, so it adjusts the window so that you can see the file. It'll do this on just about any view, if you've got it to where it's only partially seen. Details obviously is just one column, so you won't have that issue. Icon view will automatically throw only the amount if icons that fit, so that won't be an issue.

Still a pain, I'd kindof agree, but it's also understandable why it uses that.

The really stupid part is that the file you want to click on may not even be pushing off the right edge. If *any* file in that column pushes off the right edge it will still exhibit this behavior. So you need to be aware of the positions of every file in the column to avoid doing this.

The windowing system was practically gutted between Vista and Win7, and this is one of the annoying side effects of it. I'm still having trouble getting past folders not having their own individual positions and sizes.

agreed like the post above me. in the next column u could see the whole file name and it still does this. NO OTHER OS has did this. c'mon sp1 with the fixes? also, putting the files in detail mode is retarded for me. i don't need all that info and i know what file i already want.

agreed like the post above me. in the next column u could see the whole file name and it still does this. NO OTHER OS has did this. c'mon sp1 with the fixes? also, putting the files in detail mode is retarded for me. i don't need all that info and i know what file i already want.

How about small icon mode? For me detail mode is kind of necessary because a file without a date on it is not all that useful.

lol, i just tried small icon and i can't do that. i'm so used to looking at files in alphabetical order and small icon mode shifts it from left to right. also, i don't need to see the date of the file. i could care less when the file was placed on the pc.

lol, i just tried small icon and i can't do that. i'm so used to looking at files in alphabetical order and small icon mode shifts it from left to right. also, i don't need to see the date of the file. i could care less when the file was placed on the pc.

Ahh, yes, small icons doesn't snake down and then left to right, its left to right and then down.

For me the date isn't simply a matter a when a file was created, its a way of distinguishing between different files of the same or similar name. I use Libraries extensively and when I started merging directories I end up with a LOT of stuff that's named the same and it's impossible to distinguish between things with only the name.

What's wrong with details mode? It's like your list mode, except it's one column and a whole lot more information about the file.

I personally don't think it makes sense having your stuff go down one side and start again in another column, give me my stuff in a single column list with all the information about that file to the right of it.

Back