Selecting a 24" monitor. I'm going insane.

Wihl

n00b
I'm in the process of trying to figure out what 24" monitor to buy. I've read *a lot* of reviews so far. Everyone single monitor seems to have some kind of huge problem but so far I've narrowed it down to two:

1. BenQ 24" LCD G2400WD TCO03 Black 1920x1200,5ms,4000:1,VGA/DVI/HDMI

2. Samsung 24" LCD Syncmaster 245B+ TCO-03 Black, 1920x1200, 5ms, 8000:1, DVI

What should I pick? Is there anything better in the same price range?

(I'll be using the monitor for gaming and watching movies from time to time.)

Welcome to the club ;)

While the Samsungs aren't very popular on these forums, people here love the V2400W, so i would go with that.

Btw, i think the G2400WD is out of stock in the US until late October from what i have heard.

I have two G2400WDs right now, getting a third on Friday so obviously I think these are amazing monitors, HDMI, DVI and VGA are more then enough, I even got an HD cable box to hook up to one of my monitors. I don't use consoles on these monitors as I am actually in the process of selling my Xbox 360 but for pc gaming or movie watching, I think these are great.

I have two G2400WDs right now, getting a third on Friday so obviously I think these are amazing monitors, HDMI, DVI and VGA are more then enough, I even got an HD cable box to hook up to one of my monitors. I don't use consoles on these monitors as I am actually in the process of selling my Xbox 360 but for pc gaming or movie watching, I think these are great.

Where are you buying that third one?

not to confuse things more but after much decision I went with the E2400HD

lol. Welcome to the unsatisfied monitor shopping club. I am pretty sure if LCD monitor shopping had been around during WW2, the Nazis would have used it to torture the Jews. I think I would RATHER move rocks for no reason and be starved than to have shop for another LCD.

lol. Well maybe that is a little harsh... but only a little...

i bought the sceptre x24wg 24" 1080p at the egg for 259.99. couldn't be happier with it. it looks great, upgraded from a viewsonic vp191b. i have zero complaints...and for 259, it's a steal.

How does the E2400HD compare to the G2400WD? Anyone that has had a look at both? And how much better is the V2400W compared to the G2400WD?

Also, to the guy that said that I should use the thankyou10 code, I'm Swedish so I don't think it applies to me :< Had a look at newegg, damn you guys are lucky :/ Everything is so cheap (the G2400WD is about $400 here, the V2400W is $600 - and that's the cheapest ones around).

EDIT:
Bah, screw this - I'll just get the V2400W.

V2400W has the same panel as G2400WD. The only difference is the look.

E2400HD isnt out yet.

I take it you're okay with the TN panels in these monitors? Here's a little ditty that everyone who is new to LCD monitor searching should read:

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

I recently went through this ordeal. I started with a Samsung 245BW (TN), which is a beautiful monitor, but the viewing angle color and luminousity shifts made it unsuitable for graphic design. I then bought a Lenovo L220X (S-PVA), which is a 22" 1920 x 1200 monitor. It's fantastic, and is better than the Samsung for viewing angles, but it still sports color shifts at different angles. If this doesn't work out for me, I'm going to get a used 20 or 23 inch Apple Cinema Display, or maybe an NEC, but definitely something with an S-IPS panel.

If your looking for good viewing angle with no color shifts, I would suggest the HP 2475 that has a thread going in here. It is an S-ips screen and runs for about 650$. It is what I would have gotten if Pell Grants had not freed up cash for the NEC 2490.

+1 to the difficulty of choosing a LCD monitor...
I know i't kind an of topic, but a few companies are transitioning in the laptop segment to LED-backlit monitors. I wonder how far away is the desktop LCD monitor of geting the LED backlit into it's panel without spending 1000' €/$...

I can only say positive things about my V2400W. No dead pixels, very little black light bleeding, colors are great. I've watched a few HD movies with the DCR on and I really liked it (not so much for games though, stick to regular settings for that).

Oh yea and it's hawt.

Back