Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

I was reading this RPS post about the current Steam top sellers, and laughed out loud at the writer's take on Sekiro (in #1):
Odd to see this unknown release topping out the Charts on such a busy week. I booted it up, curious, and wow are there some balancing issues in this action game. It’s ridiculously hard, like crazy difficult, far too tough for anyone to reasonably enjoy.

That, and there just seems to be so much content missing. It’s as if someone took an action game and just removed all the fun stuff between the boss fights. I guess after a few updates, when they reduce the difficulty to something accessible, and perhaps flesh out the main game a little more, this could become something interesting. Until then, I’d give it a miss.

Reviewer's second part is just idiocy. The game has plenty in it, you just have to discover it without your hand being held the entire time.

The difficultly is a valid complaint. They should put different options in for less skilled players.

I disagree with that. Not all games are meant to be for all people. If a developer has a specific vision, and that includes difficulty, by widening it for a larger audience, you're most likely dumbing down the game and turning it into a worse game, further from the original vision. Yes, game companies want to make money, but I honestly respect a company that's willing to accept a good enough return to bring about a closer version of their vision than a terrible game meant to sell a lot.

I disagree with that. Not all games are meant to be for all people. If a developer has a specific vision, and that includes difficulty, by widening it for a larger audience, you're most likely dumbing down the game and turning it into a worse game, further from the original vision. Yes, game companies want to make money, but I honestly respect a company that's willing to accept a good enough return to bring about a closer version of their vision than a terrible game meant to sell a lot.

I mean, i'm fine with the game.

That being said, adding a difficulty option.. isn't difficult. You could literally just put a thing in where damage taken and damage given is marginally scaled in whatever direction a player wants.

However, the game doesn't advertise itself as anything other than being a very difficult game. So I agree, it's a dumb complaint.

I totally agree...no way should From Software add any sort of difficulty slider...the game is meant to be played one way...anything else would lessen the game

I'm cool with toughing it out ! These games never upset me either, the challenge is great. I love how you can reset things and even farm a bit. Every area is a joy to discover and explore. Danger always lurking around the corner. When I launch this game I am almost in overload on what to do next. Thinking about areas with bosses that I need to figure out and tying it all together is a joy of gameplay for me. I love how when you think you've got your bearings and things are getting easy the game always reminds you ! I put this one up there with the first DS. I liked DS2 better than 3 but loved 3 anyway. I think it's up there with bloodborne to, I might like it better right now. I will probably go another round after the first playthrough right away.

I heard to do everything, get all the endings and fight every boss you need to do 4 playthroughs...

I saw that but been trying not to cheat and read much that might make it easier for me ! I usually do a bit of digging after the first or second playthrough because I would never get all the NPC stuff and endings in a million years probably.

I wouldn't mind if there was an "easy" difficulty that keeps the game same but instead of you getting killed by 1 or 2 hits by bosses you can take 3 or 4 instead. The game would still be ridiculously hard but it would certainly reduce the rage. I love the game but I genuinely do not have time and patience to grind same bosses hours upon hours until I either get lucky or figure out how the boss works. And even managing to stay focused and not make a single mistake is another story, a slight mistake (like pressing the wrong button by accident) can be too punishing at the times.

Hell, even Souls games had the option to simply grind and level your character up so you have some breathing room during battles. Sekiro has none of this, you either play it perfectly or you die.

I wouldn't mind if there was an "easy" difficulty that keeps the game same but instead of you getting killed by 1 or 2 hits by bosses you can take 3 or 4 instead. The game would still be ridiculously hard but it would certainly reduce the rage. I love the game but I genuinely do not have time and patience to grind same bosses hours upon hours until I either get lucky or figure out how the boss works. And even managing to stay focused and not make a single mistake is another story, a slight mistake (like pressing the wrong button by accident) can be too punishing at the times.

Hell, even Souls games had the option to simply grind and level your character up so you have some breathing room during battles. Sekiro has none of this, you either play it perfectly or you die.

Sekiro gives you options to make the difficulty less brutal- prosthetics such as Fireworks and Battle Axe I find very useful...combat arts such as Mortal Blade and Ichimonji Double I use a lot...but in the end it's all about learning the moves and patterns of enemies which does take time...I think I'm close to the end now...I'm sure I missed a lot as far as NPC's and side quests...I do hear the final boss is ridiculously hard so I'm not sure I'm ready for that

I've been thinking in what way could From 'tweak' the game without the bad publicity of "omg they nerfed the difficulty thanks to the whiners!", and I think if they just made the time-window for a successful deflect/parry/block *slightly* longer (and nothing else) it would be acceptable to both the casual and hardcore crowds.

You can absolutely keep the game more difficult if you don't turn in the gourd seeds, don't convert memories to attack power, and don't use the prayer beads - But for some people it's too difficult even with these item drops.

you can make the game even more difficult by using a certain item in the game-world...I used it just to see what it does...luckily they give you an easy way to change things back

finally...actually had a lot of fun getting to 100%.
oh and don't farm skill points if any of you are going for 100%, its much more enjoyable to just do ng runs over and over

Attachments

• itwasfun.png
    itwasfun.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
finally...actually had a lot of fun getting to 100%.
oh and don't farm skill points if any of you are going for 100%, its much more enjoyable to just do ng runs over and over

in order to get the 'defeat all bosses' achievement don't you have to do the Purification ending in NG and then the Shura ending in NG+ (or vice-versa)?...I think those are the only 2 endings with unique bosses...doing the other 2 endings won't get you every boss...

20190404121024_1.jpg
Go eat a Bag of salty Ramen you punk!!

So I bought the game again after refunding I beat that Damn Samurai took me about 30 tries [You need to kill this guy for the 1st Seed which is like a Estes flask] I didn't want to cheese him. Now I'm leveling a bit have 2 skill points.I got to the chained bastard the thing is the same moves that took down the Samurai are engraved in my head or he just scaled and became harder. I just need a break played for about 3-4 hours today. The only thing I hate about the game is damn blocking I mean I don't feel like blocking but it's required not used to it after resting ect.. I got to the other area by worshiping the Idol maybe I should of kept my refund LOL this game is tuff and a pain. I don't plan on fishing this game at this rate that is for sure....

Last edited:
The only thing I hate about the game is damn blocking I mean I don't feel like blocking but it's required not used to it after resting ect.. I got to the other area by worshiping the Idol maybe I should of kept my refund LOL this game is tuff and a pain. I don't plan on fishing this game at this rate that is for sure....

it's not really about blocking...it's about deflecting...if you stand there and just block everything you're never going to progress...it's about timing your deflects, blocks and attacks to bring the enemy down (while keeping track of your own posture meter)...you should practice against those early enemies in the very first open area...that's much better then practicing combat with Hambie at the main hub (Dilapidated Temple)...if you're continuing to have trouble with those early enemies then just give up because it's only going to get tougher

*also remember that keeping your sword in the defensive block position makes your posture meter recharge faster

He's not. You've just got to be patient and learn when to attack, etc.

And yeah, you really need to learn how to deflect. You absolutely won't progress in the game if you can't learn to deflect.

This game rocks for me I get the same feeling like I did on dark souls. Just immersed in the world. Today I had an hour to kill and just farmed a bit before work. Need to get a Max level skill upgrade and getting 9 skill points is a PITA.

I'm pretty much in the final area so I decided to look up some things online...finally killed the giant snake (I never would have figured that out on my own) and found out about some NPC quests...I also read about the 4 endings...looks like I'm past the point where I could have backed up a save and gotten 3 of the endings...you pretty much need to complete 2 playthroughs to get all 4 endings...1 by itself and 3 you can do with 1 save...I definitely missed some things in my first run but I plan on doing multiple runs of this game so it's no big deal

You have to kill the giant snake anyways to progress in the game. So i'm confused as to what you're talking about.

You have to kill the giant snake anyways to progress in the game. So i'm confused as to what you're talking about.

I didn't kill it until I reached the final area...I don't think it's a mandatory boss...you need to do it to unlock one of the endings but other then that it's an optional kill (I wouldn't even call it a boss)...stabbing it in the eye when you first encounter it doesn't kill it (if that's what you're referring to)

I thought it was mandatory to progress to kill it and get the heart, cause you need the ingredient.

Leveling at the Estates for a few hours today to get some much needed skills most of the skills are useless though but do help mildly. How do I go about unlocking that other skill thing on the bottom? Do I need to max out a skill tree or something?

20190405081555_1.jpg
20190405072221_1.jpg

Demon of Hatred is one of the harder bosses I've encountered in the game...his unblockable charge move activates so quickly...

Attachments

• SK10.png
    SK10.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • SK11.png
    SK11.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
another boss bites the dust...Demon of Hatred is down...he actually wasn't as bad as I initially thought...he's tough but as with all the other bosses just memorize his moves and patterns...the unblockable charge was annoying but it's pretty easy to jump out of the way...luckily he didn't have multiple unblockables...I think I'm down to the final boss...and yes I've played the entire game using kb/m...it's fine with some creative remapping of keys...I think a controller would probably be easier as far as directional dodging but other then that kb/m is just as good...

Attachments

• 952.png
    952.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I'm up to the final boss...I beat every mini-boss and all the bosses (even the optional ones)...I'm worn out...they need to give players some kind of award for finishing this game...their names engraved on some plaque in From Software's next game...

there are still 2 bonus bosses when you do the Purification ending so I still need to do that with another playthrough

I just hit sunken valley but I don't want to rush it. Gonna roll soon as I'm done though :p Awesome game for me !

I'm up to the final boss...I beat every mini-boss and all the bosses (even the optional ones)...I'm worn out...they need to give players some kind of award for finishing this game...their names engraved on some plaque in From Software's next game...

there are still 2 bonus bosses when you do the Purification ending so I still need to do that with another playthrough

If you had a hard time I'm really going to need help. Took vacation next week if I play Sekiro it probably won't be much if a vacation.

If you had a hard time I'm really going to need help. Took vacation next week if I play Sekiro it probably won't be much if a vacation.

all of the bosses are beatable...it just takes a lot of practice for some of them...if you use the right Prosthetic tool (Fireworks, Flame Vent, Malcontent Whistle) it makes some of them even easier...I'm up to the final boss and he really seems impossible...

Back