Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Think I'm done with the game tried to beat that Samuari General in the 2nd area I almost had him after I stealth him from above for the first red dot. Then he just kicks my butt if I go past him to the next area there are about 6 guys and a big guy with a club to kick my ass just no fun.... I'm not going to spend the time to finish the game might try for a refund since I'm still under 2 hours. This game Bullies you around not the other way around. Way harder than Dark Souls ever was not a fan of the new combat system.....

View attachment 151222
You gotta use stealth to clear out the area first. You need to learn how to deflect/etc

I got my refund pending that is a preorder from August 2018 people tell me it's easy once you learn the mechanics. I have and so many other games out there that rather divert my attention to. Steam rocks for refunds if they refunded a impulse decision from 9 months ago.

FFS people, it's really not that hard. It becomes genuinely fun the moment you stop trying to play it like Dark Souls/Bloodborne and instead start using the mechanics it wants you to use.
Stay close to enemies, look at their attacks, deflect them. Failed deflects become blocks too, so it's much more forgiving than parrying in DaS.

I was frustrated at first as well, but after some time when you reach bosses that you can't simply just button mash, the game forces you to learn the mechanics and get good. That or you quit.

FFS people, it's really not that hard. It becomes genuinely fun the moment you stop trying to play it like Dark Souls/Bloodborne and instead start using the mechanics it wants you to use.
Stay close to enemies, look at their attacks, deflect them. Failed deflects become blocks too, so it's much more forgiving than parrying in DaS.

Yeah, you can't be timid at all in this game. You have to pretty much always be on the attack, and learn the key moments when you need to dodge/deflect/counter or just run around.

The lightning guy is the best example of this. I kept trying to play it safe, but when I just went straight at him and learned his move sets he became one of the easiest bosses in the game. Generally, most of the human mini/bosses are this way. You've just gotta always be on the attack and deflect/counter/dodge as needed.

The other thing people need to realize is that the prosthetics generally are of no help with the bosses unless it's firecrackers. So don't even bother. They open you up for way to long, and will take your concentration away from what matters. The prosthetics are really only there to deal with generic enemy types.

Although, you can easily win the fight against the spear samurai general by just spamming the axe at him, he can never respond in time, and you win the fight. Only time i've found a prosthetic can work on a boss like that.

Last edited:
Snake Eyes Shirafuji mini-boss in Sunken Valley might be the most annoying mini-boss I've run into so far...luckily I finally beat her...

Yeah, this one is pretty annoying. Between the initial jump with 25 of the worlds best musketeer snipers shooting at you from miles away through a snow storm, and the boss itself.. It's not easy.

By the way, wait until you get to this bitch's brother. He's even worse.

Last edited:
It's interesting how some people have trouble with bosses that others don't. My friend and I have troubles on the opposite bosses. If he has trouble on one, I breezed through it, and likewise.

The human centipede has to be the easiest mini boss in the game. Literally just mash the block button as fast as you can and jump every now and again.

Think I'm done with the game tried to beat that Samuari General in the 2nd area I almost had him after I stealth him from above for the first red dot. Then he just kicks my butt if I go past him to the next area there are about 6 guys and a big guy with a club to kick my ass just no fun.... I'm not going to spend the time to finish the game might try for a refund since I'm still under 2 hours. This game Bullies you around not the other way around. Way harder than Dark Souls ever was not a fan of the new combat system...

the game is difficult but if you take the time to master the various moves you'll be really good in no time...that mini-boss in the 2nd area also kicked my ass a lot but then I learned his moves and when the best time to attack him is...unlike the Souls games you really need to learn to parry/deflect in Sekiro and you can't turtle/shield your way through the game...if you play defensive and back away too much you will always die or each fight will take an hour

it's a dance between staying aggressive and deflecting...posture is somewhat like stamina in that you need to watch your posture and back off a bit if you see it getting too high...but like others have said the game is not for everyone...me personally I love it...you really feel yourself getting better and better after each new enemy...I'm up to the giant ape boss and while he may look intimidating you need to not be afraid to attack him

Attachments

• SK6.png
    SK6.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
Think I'm done with the game tried to beat that Samuari General in the 2nd area I almost had him after I stealth him from above for the first red dot. Then he just kicks my butt if I go past him to the next area there are about 6 guys and a big guy with a club to kick my ass just no fun.... I'm not going to spend the time to finish the game might try for a refund since I'm still under 2 hours. This game Bullies you around not the other way around. Way harder than Dark Souls ever was not a fan of the new combat system.....
ragequit?

I got my money back which is pretty amazing since I pre-ordered this in August but I was under 2 hours.

I'm up to the giant ape boss and while he may look intimidating you need to not be afraid to attack him

geez the 2nd phase of that Guardian Ape fight was no joke...getting the timings down took a lot of deaths...his movement in Phase 2 was so different which is what threw me of as well...he moved like Dancer of the Boreal Valley from Dark Souls 3

I'm @ the part with the monks I love it. Only boss I have touble with is the 3 bar douche on the temple.

I had way more issues with the stupid bull compared to the horse douche. The bull is, still, the only boss/mini-boss that I feel is just poorly designed, and the only way you can win is by constantly running around chasing the stupid thing.

I had way more issues with the stupid bull compared to the horse douche. The bull is, still, the only boss/mini-boss that I feel is just poorly designed, and the only way you can win is by constantly running around chasing the stupid thing.

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    474.7 KB · Views: 0

just wait for the bull to run into a wall and stand behind him hacking away at his ass the entire time. he's one of the easier mini bosses.

just wait for the bull to run into a wall and stand behind him hacking away at his ass the entire time. he's one of the easier mini bosses.

That's the point - You have to wait for the Bull to be stupid like that. It's a bit of a gimmick, honestly. I like having actual fights, not just running around like an idiot waiting for the bull to smash into a wall and whacking his ass a few times.

That's the point - You have to wait for the Bull to be stupid like that. It's a bit of a gimmick, honestly. I like having actual fights, not just running around like an idiot waiting for the bull to smash into a wall and whacking his ass a few times.

it's a dark souls style boss. there's a few of them in the game.

the worst designed ones are probably the monkey and the mini bosses later in the game with guns which i won't say anymore about because you'll eventually see why they're stupid.

Last edited:

the worst designed ones are probably the monkey and the mini bosses later in the game with guns which i won't say anymore about because you'll eventually see why they're stupid.

I just completed the Folding Monkey boss...total gimmick boss but From Software puts at least one of them in every game...plus it breaks up the flow of crazy difficult bosses so I didn't mind it...crazy thing is that they give you one of those memory things after defeating it which increases your attack power

Favorite boss so far has to be the lightning dude. That was really a solid fight where I was really forced to learn all the game mechanics, and nothing about it felt like a gimmick or unfair. It just required solid knowledge of the various mechanics.

I would recommend everyone playing not use a walkthrough or guide for your first run through the game...if you're really having difficulty beating a boss you can look for help but overall in terms of where to go and finding things I would play it solo...I only read walkthroughs/guides after I finish my first run to see what I missed...exploration and discovery is a critical part of From Software games...there's nothing like playing a From game for the first time

if you had ton of issues with some of mini bosses then you probably didn't use right prosthetic tool.

I just finished Corrupted Monk (illusion)...you get a pretty cool item after beating him...this game is beyond epic...I hope people don't get scared off by the difficulty...stay for the amazing level design, combat, movement etc...pretty much a perfect single player game...one of the best games I've played this decade

Nope, and honestly i'm glad it's not in the game. I never liked it much in dark souls.

Co-oP in Demon Souls was the best due to the weird level design they became my Friends all the way though my PS4 ownership.

any co-op or multiplayer? is it like dark souls online stuff?

I enjoyed the co-op, but not the invasions. NPC invaders were one thing, human invaders another. It usually turned into who could exploit the game more. They start to die, and they run into multiple mobs so that you can't follow you, and they don't bother attacking unless there's an opening (such as if you need to heal). I don't remember which Dark Souls game it was, but the one where you could turn the enemies on an invader. I remember getting a ton of kills, as well as salty messages when I turned it into a fair fight.

That's where I think From could make some concessions. Allow co-op for killing monsters, and just don't have invasions. But their AI honestly just isn't there at the moment. Excluding a few bosses, and when you're lucky enough to have no invasions, co-op usually ends with the entire zone being cleared in a couple minutes with zero difficulty. Maybe that's how From can make an easy mode.

There is an easier way to defeat him. Be a matador, but instead of stepping aside use deflect when he charges. If he does the correct attack (which it usually does when you are at a range) where he slows down slightly before attacking the deflect flips him over, giving you quite a lot time slice him up and deal massive posture damage. You may even manage to defeat it before it goes into his "second form" where he is even more ballistic than usual. And firecracker is always useful in tight spots.

Anyway, I was very close to rage quitting this game. I love the setting but the difficulty was just too hard even by Souls standards. Turns out, this was me brainfarting. In the very beginning of the game after the first miniboss when I got the bell that allowed me to teleport into Hirata Castle I thought this was the correct route to take. With great difficulty (screw the optional purple ninja and the drunkard miniboss!) I managed make my way to the Butterfly lady. I did not have even a single vitality and damage upgrade at that point yet! I understand defeating her is possible even at that state if you are skilled and patient, but I am not that hardcore. I tried to defeat her for hours until I was inches away from giving up. Then I figured out that I have not even touched the Ashina region, the damn beginning area! Oh it was so much easier, the Ogre, the horseback dude and even the bloody bull were much more manageable.

Anyway, I was very close to rage quitting this game. I love the setting but the difficulty was just too hard even by Souls standards. Turns out, this was me brainfarting. In the very beginning of the game after the first miniboss when I got the bell that allowed me to teleport into Hirata Castle I thought this was the correct route to take. With great difficulty (screw the optional purple ninja and the drunkard miniboss!) I managed make my way to the Butterfly lady. I did not have even a single vitality and damage upgrade at that point yet! I understand defeating her is possible even at that state if you are skilled and patient, but I am not that hardcore. I tried to defeat her for hours until I was inches away from giving up. Then I figured out that I have not even touched the Ashina region, the damn beginning area! Oh it was so much easier, the Ogre, the horseback dude and even the bloody bull were much more manageable.

it seems like outside of a few main bosses you can pretty much go anywhere and fight any boss...I'm not using any guides but I definitely did not do things in the 'right' order...if the order of bosses is really that open then this makes the game even more impressive...I'm in an area now and it's pretty brutal...one of the mini-bosses really had me thinking if this was the end for me...it really seemed impossible...I finally beat the boss but I'll admit it was more luck then skill

Last edited:

LOL Ok I never knew you could equip this..... I was at the same area this is where I gave up just past the Shunken attachment I never used the prosthetic arm.
I'll look for the game on sale again and give it another try =)

With great difficulty (screw the optional purple ninja and the drunkard miniboss!) I managed make my way to the Butterfly lady. I did not have even a single vitality and damage upgrade at that point yet! I understand defeating her is possible even at that state if you are skilled and patient, but I am not that hardcore. I tried to defeat her for hours until I was inches away from giving up. Then I figured out that I have not even touched the Ashina region, the damn beginning area! Oh it was so much easier, the Ogre, the horseback dude and even the bloody bull were much more manageable.
Lady Butterfly is beatable without any upgrades and using/abusing techniques. Well, almost. I beat her with just 2 gourd upgrades (i.e. 3 charges). No attack upgrades. Didn't even bother using any items or techniques. It took me a long time (and countless deaths) to figure her out though. At one point, I was getting frustrated with her that I sought out guides. Those guides were all bad advice. Most of the guides assume you have this or that skill/technique/upgrade to use/abuse. My situation did not have that luxury. And I wasn't about to cop-out on that by dropping her for later. Call me stubborn...

There are going to be different approaches to each boss, and no single strat is going to apply to everyone because everyone's playstyle is different. This new combat system pretty much ensures that.

In Lady Butterfly's case, at least with me, the best strat was to go full on in-her-face aggression. If you are relentless with attacking/deflecting, for both phases, she'll never set herself up to cheese you with her more unique attacks. To me that was a more appealing and efficient. The problem I ran into with her was, initially, I couldn't quite get the timing right on her sweeping kick (i.e. perilous attacks). In fact, my jumps were not registering because, as it turns out, the game thought I was button spamming attack/block (This is not spam, Miyazaki, but whatever). That was pretty much a revelation to me. So I backed off on the so-called spam and that did the trick. When Lady Butterfly goes flying, I'm running right to where she's coming back down and just continuing the pressure. Blocking her attacks is rather easy. Too bad my non-deflected attacks (when I can sneak one in) did nothing but chip damage against her. Again, I was too stubborn to continue the game seeking more upgrades to make the fight easier. Using this stubborn aggressive strat I was eventually able to get her posture bar filled far more quickly than if I were to try and whittle away her vitality.

This new combat system is a lot more fair and forgiving. Lady Butterfly would have been a far more difficult boss if Sekiro were using the Souls combat system.

Butteryfly I found super easy. You didn't even need anything special to deal with the apparitions. Just run around until they go away. When they go away just hide behind one of the pillars so the projectiles don't hit you. Then you can get some solid damage in on her before you rinse/repeat.

I haven't beat the game yet, but the hardest boss i've seen at this point is guardian ape encounter number 2. The first health bar is easy, after that it's a cluster fuck and there is a bit of luck involved with how things are positioned.

I've heard that one of the later bosses is super BS though, so we'll see.

I still stand by my opinion that lightning dude is the best boss in the game. That fight is outstanding, and no gimmicks are used, it's just pure skill, and learning all his different moves. You don't have to run around like an idiot, etc.

Last edited:
Lady Butterfly is beatable without any upgrades and using/abusing techniques. Well, almost. I beat her with just 2 gourd upgrades (i.e. 3 charges). No attack upgrades. Didn't even bother using any items or techniques. It took me a long time (and countless deaths) to figure her out though. At one point, I was getting frustrated with her that I sought out guides. Those guides were all bad advice. Most of the guides assume you have this or that skill/technique/upgrade to use/abuse. My situation did not have that luxury. And I wasn't about to cop-out on that by dropping her for later. Call me stubborn...

There are going to be different approaches to each boss, and no single strat is going to apply to everyone because everyone's playstyle is different. This new combat system pretty much ensures that.

In Lady Butterfly's case, at least with me, the best strat was to go full on in-her-face aggression. If you are relentless with attacking/deflecting, for both phases, she'll never set herself up to cheese you with her more unique attacks. To me that was a more appealing and efficient. The problem I ran into with her was, initially, I couldn't quite get the timing right on her sweeping kick (i.e. perilous attacks). In fact, my jumps were not registering because, as it turns out, the game thought I was button spamming attack/block (This is not spam, Miyazaki, but whatever). That was pretty much a revelation to me. So I backed off on the so-called spam and that did the trick. When Lady Butterfly goes flying, I'm running right to where she's coming back down and just continuing the pressure. Blocking her attacks is rather easy. Too bad my non-deflected attacks (when I can sneak one in) did nothing but chip damage against her. Again, I was too stubborn to continue the game seeking more upgrades to make the fight easier. Using this stubborn aggressive strat I was eventually able to get her posture bar filled far more quickly than if I were to try and whittle away her vitality.

This new combat system is a lot more fair and forgiving. Lady Butterfly would have been a far more difficult boss if Sekiro were using the Souls combat system.

I did manage to beat her today. Turns out she is quite simple, go aggressive and spam dodge-attack. Dodge on her side, attack. Dodge on other side, attack. This also worked on her second form (and thankfully at the times prevented her from summoning her illusion helpers) although you had to be more careful.

Butteryfly I found super easy. You didn't even need anything special to deal with the apparitions. Just run around until they go away. When they go away just hide behind one of the pillars so the projectiles don't hit you. Then you can get some solid damage in on her before you rinse/repeat.

I haven't beat the game yet, but the hardest boss i've seen at this point is guardian ape encounter number 2. The first health bar is easy, after that it's a cluster fuck and there is a bit of luck involved with how things are positioned.

I've heard that one of the later bosses is super BS though, so we'll see.

I still stand by my opinion that lightning dude is the best boss in the game. That fight is outstanding, and no gimmicks are used, it's just pure skill, and learning all his different moves. You don't have to run around like an idiot, etc.

Strangely enough, Guardian Ape 2.0 was one of the few bosses I managed to one shot, and I did that mistakenly with the Demon Bell on. Guardian Ape 1.0 I had a hard time with. The second form I found ridiculously easy (e.g. The first form on 2.0). But it was the first form which I struggled with. At least 2.0, in part 2 of the fight, that ape only had a sliver of health.

The lightening guy I took awhile with to get the first form down. The problem is, any time I took a hit, I never seemed to be able to get a heal off. His lightening form though I was shocked at how easy it was. Just spam attack and if he jumps up in the air, dodge forward, and repeat the process.

You didn't even need anything special to deal with the apparitions. Just run around until they go away. When they go away just hide behind one of the pillars so the projectiles don't hit you. Then you can get some solid damage in on her before you rinse/repeat.
The phantoms won't even show up if you keep the pressure on her. You can literally avoid that part altogether. In the second phase, she always spawns and drops down in the same spot. Don't even give her time to breathe, otherwise she'll float up and call them in. She does that, then you were not trying hard enough. She'll eventually give up on the summon idea altogether.

it's weird how after multiple attempts at beating a boss all of a sudden everything just clicks and they become pretty 'easy' or at the very least not as difficult as you originally thought...it's all about memorizing patterns and moves...going through all the Souls games I've always had the most difficulty with very fast bosses

In this game the fast bosses, to me, seem easier. You learn how they work faster, and there isn't as much guess work when you need to deflect strikes.

Back