Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

To me it says:
You are using
3072 X 1728
BUT: I am using 125% scaling for Windows (Win7 64 ult) and 1,25*3072 X 1728 equals 3840x2160

The link in the quote in post #1777 of this thread.
I use it on a 39" model.

And you're not having any audio issues using this firmware? I installed this same one and I no longer get any audio from the built in speakers, regardless of what input or device I'm using.

You Seiki guys with 4k

What resolution does this site says you are using?

http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/

I want to see if the site is wrong.. I'm on 4k(changhong) but it says 1920x1080... I have some suspicions about this TV just need to be sure.

On my Seiki 50" - "YOU ARE USING 3840 x 2160"
On my Seiki 39" - "YOU ARE USING 3840 x 2160"

Edited to add:

I use the firmware from the 50" on my 39" and I have no audio problems. Works fine.

So I have the 50" Seiki TV and was playing Path of Exile last night and the picture looked great at 3840x2160. Just a little blurriness with fast action since the 30hz limitation.

The problem is trying to watch videos. Using VLC media player or youtube the video has random horizontal tears going through it all the time. Doesn't matter if at 1080P or 4K. This makes no sense to me. I know the TV is capable of producing a clear picture. Why can't video files play flawlessly?

This firmware does not give any audio from the onboard speakers, on the 39" model... I just rolled back to my old firmware and audio is working. Bummer, this newer firmware produces a better picture.

Are their any audio drivers that could be swapped with the older firmware into the new firmware package?

i can confirm that version jul-2014 firmware on page 9 of this AVSforum topic.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-se50uy04-50-inch-4k-uhd-owners-thread-9.html

this unlocks the pixel clock past the so called 297Mhz Limit imposed on previous firmwares
I tried 4k @ 31hz works fine

32, 34, 35, 38, 39, 40, 45hz Work.. But scaler ruins the images

39-45hz works but sometimes blanks for 5 seconds sometimes, mouse is soooo smooth... I want scaler disable option...

to be expected @ 397pixel clock...

the image scaler kicks in anywhere past 31hz...

so i imagine we can run 1080p with 150hz.. needs some tweaking, as I get white blanking

Tweaked!

Larger

also...
engineer menu, 2947
HDMI --> 3D Settings

found 3D settings and allows side by side./ top and bottom but they dont seem to work 100% so I imagine experimentation is required.. and alot of time!! haha

So I have the 50" Seiki TV and was playing Path of Exile last night and the picture looked great at 3840x2160. Just a little blurriness with fast action since the 30hz limitation.

The problem is trying to watch videos. Using VLC media player or youtube the video has random horizontal tears going through it all the time. Doesn't matter if at 1080P or 4K. This makes no sense to me. I know the TV is capable of producing a clear picture. Why can't video files play flawlessly?

Sounds like your video player is not using vsync if you are doing 30Hz @ 4k and getting tearing. I use mplayer2 on linux with vdpau and I never get tearing on anything. I also use mplayer2 (windows build) on my dad's machine running windows with -vo direct3d and I didn't get tearing on that either.

Sounds like your video player is not using vsync if you are doing 30Hz @ 4k and getting tearing. I use mplayer2 on linux with vdpau and I never get tearing on anything. I also use mplayer2 (windows build) on my dad's machine running windows with -vo direct3d and I didn't get tearing on that either.

Alright looks like I got my problem figured out with the tearing. Apparently windows Aero was off or something. So i opened up the command prompt as an administrator and typed this in:

net stop uxsms

net start uxsms

Restarted windows Aero and now i have no tearing while watching video files or youtube video.

How can you guys get 31Hz in 4k? I can only push it up to 300MHz. Anything past that doesn't work.
30Hz for 4k is already 297MHz.

1080 @ 120Hz works however! Even though it's 348.20MHz.
But again, 1440 or anything above can't go over 300MHz.

I just got the se39uy04-1 model, apparently the newer model. Seems good so far, but I can't tell if the firmware I have is newer than any of the other ones or not. It's base 277 I think.

The other weird thing I've been having, is when I hook up my PC it boots up fine. If I unplug the PC and hookup my cable box, my TV is fine. 1080p@60, it passes the toslink audio. Now when I try to hookup both my PC and TV to any two HDMI ports, I get problems. My PC won't come back on if I switch the input, and then if I switch to my cable, I get no sound until I unplug the PC. Seems it doesn't like my cable box and PC hooked up to any 2 HDMI ports.

Could be crappy cables, I am using dollar store HDMI cables and am going to upgrade them today, just wondering if anyone else had any weird HDMI port issues.

I used switchresx, which was a nightmare to get to work. if saving a custom resolution doesn't prompt a reboot message or the custom resolutions don't say something like we tried to load but your monitor couldn't take it after reboot, then you may have to delete either the switchresx preferences file or the file that the custom resolution creates in somewhere like s/l/e/Displays/Overrides, with the most recently created/changed directory being what you created. i believe the files are hidden, so toggling hidden visibility is required. may also need to google those file locations, as I don't recall them exactly. but yeah, deleting the prefs and TV resolution override files can finagle it into working. there are a couple other threads on it elsewhere that can be found googling and were helpful.

Would you be willing to post up your resolution file from switchresx? You can share it here and then we would be abel to download it to test it and see if it would work. Thanks!

I just got the se39uy04-1 model, apparently the newer model. Seems good so far, but I can't tell if the firmware I have is newer than any of the other ones or not. It's base 277 I think.

The other weird thing I've been having, is when I hook up my PC it boots up fine. If I unplug the PC and hookup my cable box, my TV is fine. 1080p@60, it passes the toslink audio. Now when I try to hookup both my PC and TV to any two HDMI ports, I get problems. My PC won't come back on if I switch the input, and then if I switch to my cable, I get no sound until I unplug the PC. Seems it doesn't like my cable box and PC hooked up to any 2 HDMI ports.

Could be crappy cables, I am using dollar store HDMI cables and am going to upgrade them today, just wondering if anyone else had any weird HDMI port issues.

How is the new model? I'm thinking of getting when taxes roll in.

Seems cables made a huge difference. Bought some HDMI high bandwidth 4k capable cables. Colors are better, does 120hz at 1080p, 4k@ 30hz no problem without any firmware changes. Seems the -1 model's firmware is the latest and greatest. Pic look awesome, video is crisp, sound works through Toslink. I'm happy, was on sale for $369 Canadian, which is about $300US right now. All 3 HDMI inputs work fine.

Video through smooth video player at 1080p @ 120hz is soooooo smooth.

EDIT

All testufo.com tests show 120hz for 1080p mode, no frame skipping and full 30fps for 4k. Wonder if I can request this firmware from them, as I don't see it available on their site, but the newer model se39uy04-1 firmware seems to do everything right for the start.

Last edited:
How is the new model? I'm thinking of getting when taxes roll in.

Read my post below. With the stock firmware the new model comes with, I have no blanking issues, 120hz@1080 with no frame skipping, audio works, 4k works fine. I haven't really found an issue yet.

Read my post below. With the stock firmware the new model comes with, I have no blanking issues, 120hz@1080 with no frame skipping, audio works, 4k works fine. I haven't really found an issue yet.

What is your firmware version, month/year, etc.?

I have the newer model as well ($350 shipped. Tiger Direct) and since I have started messing with it I have the 50" firmware flashed on it.

I have video tearing during youtube video playback and movie playback through video players (I am on a Mac). Can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it. Love the picture though!

What is your firmware version, month/year, etc.?

I have the newer model as well ($350 shipped. Tiger Direct) and since I have started messing with it I have the 50" firmware flashed on it.

I have video tearing during youtube video playback and movie playback through video players (I am on a Mac). Can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it. Love the picture though!

Baseline 277
Customer Version Ver 1.0
Order Form SY14395
Board ver ST2975C_R10.4
Panel Info CMI_V390DK1_LS1
Produce Date Sep 3 2014

Did you try before flashing any firmware to see if you had tearing? Might be a Mac driver issue. I have an AMD 7870 and it can do any of the res' after running Pixel Patcher and then CRU to add the 120hz resolution. 4k was picked up fine. I can run Smooth video Project for the smooth motion style video and at 120fps, it looks great. 1080p upscaled to 4k with MadVR looks pretty amazing too.

Last edited:
As the firmware is linux based I asked Seiki for source code (no idea what is gpl and what's not but figured it couldn't hurt).. they responded pound sand.

As the firmware is linux based I asked Seiki for source code (no idea what is gpl and what's not but figured it couldn't hurt).. they responded pound sand.

Pretty sure they only have to provide the source code if they modified it and only for the kernel. There is a good chance they did not even need to change the kernel and also the source of the kernel would not be good for much.

I was looking to purchase a Seiki 50" tv.

Is it true that 1440p even at 60Hz doesn't scale well for gaming and regular desktop use?

Anyone using any higher resolutions in between 1440 and 2160 that does both well?

anyone with intel core i? w/HD4000 get the driver update from 1/8/15 to push 4k!

amazing that my wimpy elitebook can push 4k now!

intel hd4000 driver version: 15.33.32.64.4061

GO PATRIOTS!

I was looking to purchase a Seiki 50" tv.

Is it true that 1440p even at 60Hz doesn't scale well for gaming and regular desktop use?

Anyone using any higher resolutions in between 1440 and 2160 that does both well?
1440 isn't a linear scale on 4k. 1080 is cleanest.

we would appreciate if someone could provide pictures of this new revision internal boards. at the very least trying to guess what changed , and if the changes were for better or worse.

my seiki is in need of board replacement, and i would like to know if the new revision boards are any better than the old ones, available on ebay.

we would appreciate if someone could provide pictures of this new revision internal boards. at the very least trying to guess what changed , and if the changes were for better or worse.

my seiki is in need of board replacement, and i would like to know if the new revision boards are any better than the old ones, available on ebay.

your board fried?

Sorry, not up for opening mine up anytime soon. I know one thing, is that the optical audio out has been changed from a SPDIF to a Toslink.

What the Skyworth 39" does that makes it so much better than the Seiki?

as i am digging the net in search of a reliable board replacement, i finally found high resolution pictures of the Skyworth 39E780U internals.

As said before, the Skyworth uses the same t-con of the Seiki. Also identical led driver boards and panel. these 3 parts are made by chimei innolux.

what the skyworth has different is the input board ( AKA main board), which has 4 samsung memory chips and a card reader; the power board also is completely different.

i can source both the power and the input board, and most likely IR, wi-fi and sound cables/microboards.

what are the chances that Frankenstein build using the panel/t-con and led driver of the Seiki succeeds?

Last edited:
Sorry if this is exhausting....
I was leaning towards this (I also prefer ATI)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687
Its a HD7770 with 1Gb of ddr5 for $79 after rebate...

Question is about amount of vram...the 7770 is a much faster card than the gt630, and does cost a little more, but the gt630 has 2gb

Which would you pick for the Seiki? Is 2gb a must fir 4k? Do we know which card would perform better at 4k?

Without a doubt the radeon!

It has GDDR5 vs the NV's GDDR3

the memory is MUCH faster even with 1GB it would perform better..
but I do like 2 GB so maybe spend a few $ more try get a R7 2xx with a 2GB
Like I said a gddr5 is a must over gddr3

Sorry Peeps.. I read the wrong post as the latest message

Just got my se39uy04-1 and it's not as good (stock) as the last one. I get hitching on the UFOTest @ 120hz. As well as tearing on youtube.

Upgraded the firmware to this one: https://mega.co.nz/#!LFEGFQDY!Mk5B75NEYk3dEMBtJ72Q2xMKl8RJaWB3U6hwc87ojPs

Now everything works out fine! MAKE SURE TO USE THIS FIRMWARE! Stopped my blanking, tearing and overall weirdness of the screen.

What firmware was on the TV when you got it and what firmware is that, that you linked to. My -1 is still stock firmware and seems to be fine.

What's the latest firmware for se50uy04?

Is 1.1 firmware out as an update yet??
Man, I wish someone would organize/index all this info on this tv..

AFAIK, the one I posted works on both. The firmware I had in my -1 was older than this. The one I linked works better than any other firmware I've used.

What firmware was on the TV when you got it and what firmware is that, that you linked to. My -1 is still stock firmware and seems to be fine.

Stock would do weird scanning issues. Like when you watch the UFOtester ufo go back and forth, I would get horizontal plane scan effects. Like vsync tearing but hard to notice unless using UFOTester.

I updated and it behaved.

Stock would do weird scanning issues. Like when you watch the UFOtester ufo go back and forth, I would get horizontal plane scan effects. Like vsync tearing but hard to notice unless using UFOTester.

I updated and it behaved.

Mine is

Baseline 277
Customer Version Ver 1.0
Order Form SY14395
Board ver ST2975C_R10.4
Panel Info CMI_V390DK1_LS1
Produce Date Sep 3 2014

From the looks of the ZIP you linked, it shows a date of 07-07-2014, older than mine. Also, I see SVN 260 in the configuration.xml. If this points to the Baseline version, than again, older than mine. There seems to be no copy of my 277 version From 09-03-2014, so I'm hesitant to update if I can't go back or I have a newer firmware than others.

You can go back, it's easy enough.

The one I'm using has been modified and it's sort of a mix.

Last edited:
You can go back, it's easy enough.

The one I'm using has been modified and it's sort of a mix.

Like I said, my -1 was worse than my original Seiki I got in Q1 '14.

The threads on the other web pages have more detail than this thread does. I think it's on OCN or AVS forums.

I just can't find a copy of the FW I have.

Not sure if this is redundant, but i bought one of these on Amazon recently, was absolutely loving it (it shipped with the 1.1 firmware), Mine is the 50 inch version but i was getting occasional blank screens every few minutes at 120hz@1080p (which is why i bought this panel).

I "downgraded" the firmware to SE50UY04_20130528 and it fixed it immediately. No dropoff in terms of the already stellar input lag at 120hz and no blanking a single time in roughly 3 days.

This screen is absolutely amazing at 120hz and i might just get 2 more to replace my current 39" vizio displays.

Google that firmware number and update to that if you are having issues with your blanking. Theres a WHOLE lot of information out there on these displays and i just wanted a solid place to get my 120hz fully working, and that one did it... Hope this helps a fellow google-fu friend out there in the future.

Yeah, my display is blanking now. Never did with the last 39" I owned with the same firmware. I can't remember how I fixed it, I think it was in the Nvidia panel and I changed the timings slightly.

No blanking on my -1 with the 277 stock firmware it came with. Got it up to 31hz. Anymore and it won't display. Email Seiki to ask them for the 277 firmware, see if they give it to me.

Ok, found a post on another forum. Seems it's something to do with how windows detects HDMI. The consensus was to cover pin 19 of the HDMI cable OR yank out pin 16 on DVI to HDMI adapter.
On DVI
pin16.jpg

on HDMI

You will lose your screen for a few, you go to Nvidia CPL and do 'rigorous' detection of displays. Also have an another display attached so you can see what your doing.

edit: Blanking still happens, but its rare. Maybe once or twice every 8 hours.

Last edited:
try using the highest quality cable imaginable..

I use to get blanking.. but it stopped after getting a FAT hdmi cable of Ebay

make sure you dony over buy in length, if you need 0.8M dont buy a 2M cable...

and use the other firmwares for testing if still happens..

AFAIK, the one I posted works on both. The firmware I had in my -1 was older than this. The one I linked works better than any other firmware I've used.

You're right! This is the best one for 4k for sure, it makes 30hz feel like 50hz, nice!

I changed to that firmware, and somehow now 120hz is gone even tho it's still set in CRU.
With this firmware, it forces 1080p to be under the 300MHz clock just like everything above 1080p. Weird, why can't I get 120hz to work with this firmware?? Max is 103Hz, which is 298.87MHz. :\

How can I go over 300MHz?????? Any resolution
I thought this firmware (ATSC_THTF_SY14343_ST2975C_CMI_V500dk1_P01_20140707) unlocks the clock???

Last edited:
Back