Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

are you sure the panel is the same? I am starting to have my doubts:
- true the 8th minute of the following video shows that the Skyworth 50E780U 4K HDTV has Chimei Innolux panel
- but if you take a look what is really inside, then the panel looks different from behind:
- compare to the panel from seiki SE50UY04 (Chimenei Innolux V500DK1_LS1)
as shown here or on the last page here

SE50UY04 (Chimenei Innolux V500DK1_LS1)

Skyworth 50E780U ( ??? )

These images are from the 50" models from seiki and skyworth. if someone find the images from the 39" skyworth and compare with teh seiki we can guesstimate if they are compatible, so we can use a skyworth replacement board on our seiki 39".

maarten has uploaded a picture of what i believe is the control board of the skyworth:
900x900px-LL-cfb9738b_IMG_2039.jpeg

the experts could help decide how useful that image is in predicting compatibility with the seiki.

the 39" seiki uses this tcon:
81xwxm-B48L._SL1500_.jpg

Flashed it to my Seiki 39. No problems. There are a few immediate fixes I'm noticing.

Audio no longer makes a popping noise when the TV is turned on. This happened for me with both 39" and 50" (and the -Mod) firmware. I was about a week away from removing the back and snipping the speaker leads.

Regular and Main Menus are no longer .50-75sec laggy.

Mouse lag is reduced at 4k rez. It's still 30hz, but there is definitely a few ms less lag than the all 3 other firmwares. I reflashed both the 39" and the Seiki-mod firmwares just to make sure it's not a placebo thing. It's most noticeable resizing windows.

Pixel clocks greater than 297ish work now. I've got 3840x2160@38hz running w/ a 334mhz clock (scaley as fuck tho).

Thanks for the link, sounds promising. Which one have you tested? The modded_install.img from YungMoni or the update image (ATSC_THTF_SY14343_ST2975C_CMI_V500dk1_P01_20140707.zip) from MasterTactician?

Flashed it to my Seiki 39. No problems. There are a few immediate fixes I'm noticing.

Audio no longer makes a popping noise when the TV is turned on. This happened for me with both 39" and 50" (and the -Mod) firmware. I was about a week away from removing the back and snipping the speaker leads.

Regular and Main Menus are no longer .50-75sec laggy.

Mouse lag is reduced at 4k rez. It's still 30hz, but there is definitely a few ms less lag than the all 3 other firmwares. I reflashed both the 39" and the Seiki-mod firmwares just to make sure it's not a placebo thing. It's most noticeable resizing windows.

Pixel clocks greater than 297ish work now. I've got 3840x2160@38hz running w/ a 334mhz clock (scaley as fuck tho).

Quick question for you, this is the Baseline Ver: 260 firmware right?

Also, is 1080P working at 120Hz automatically (like the custom firmware) or requires CRU to enter that mode?

Afaict the YungMoni firmware doesn't work. I did try flashing it inspite of the 'do not do this!' updated warning, but it just hangs on the blinking red/blue light state. Reset the TV and *scare, scare* didn't work. However, it auto reflashed itself when I put an proper install.img USB stick in (didn't need to do anything, just had it in the port when TV turned on).

Came here with the intent of letting people know about the YungMoni FW in hopes that people might take interest and find some interesting stuff, but it looks like I'm late to that party lol.
I'm trying to find the atsc_thtf_sy14343_st2975c_cmi_v500dk1_p01_20140707.zip but can't track it down. Could somebody provide a link please?

Came here with the intent of letting people know about the YungMoni FW in hopes that people might take interest and find some interesting stuff, but it looks like I'm late to that party lol.
I'm trying to find the atsc_thtf_sy14343_st2975c_cmi_v500dk1_p01_20140707.zip but can't track it down. Could somebody provide a link please?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/tb5rnq

I downloaded it from avsforum, I think, don't remember. Haven't tried it yet. YMMV.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/tb5rnq

I downloaded it from avsforum, I think, don't remember. Haven't tried it yet. YMMV.

Thanks. Input lag seems to be reduced on this one when running 2160p so that's a definite bonus.

After installing this fw and setting my sharpness down on the TV I can definitely deal with this as a work PC at 4k which is awesome.
It's really too bad 1440p doesn't scale better though, because that would be absolutely awesome.

Now we just need somebody to get YungMoni's FW working for us so we can have our bells and whistles.

Also, any word on the upgrade pack for this TV? Did that project just get dropped or...?

I have an SE39UY04 and U28D590 lying around so I took the board from the u28d590 and plugged it into the se39uy04. I got 60hz 4k just fine, only problem is inverted colors (though there are various software solutions it seems to solve this, not sure if there's a different way to connect to fix this.)

I wonder if there's any way to just order these boards from the u28d590 instead of paying the full price of the monitor just for the board.

I think that display panels usually use some kind of low voltage differential signalling ("LVDS") for pixel color data. If so, your hunch that "there is a different way to connect to fix this" is probably correct (by swapping the positive and negative polarity wires for each data line).

I have an SE39UY04 and U28D590 lying around so I took the board from the u28d590 and plugged it into the se39uy04. I got 60hz 4k just fine, only problem is inverted colors (though there are various software solutions it seems to solve this, not sure if there's a different way to connect to fix this.)

I wonder if there's any way to just order these boards from the u28d590 instead of paying the full price of the monitor just for the board.

That is just all sorts of awesome! Has anybody else done more work with this?
So we can get 60hz with a board-swap?

Why aren't people on this?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks. Input lag seems to be reduced on this one when running 2160p so that's a definite bonus.

After installing this fw and setting my sharpness down on the TV I can definitely deal with this as a work PC at 4k which is awesome.
It's really too bad 1440p doesn't scale better though, because that would be absolutely awesome.

Now we just need somebody to get YungMoni's FW working for us so we can have our bells and whistles.

Also, any word on the upgrade pack for this TV? Did that project just get dropped or...?

I did a diff of this 20140707 firmware with the original se50uy04_20130528 firmware, and they are identical when uncompressed (the compression of course being the cause for different file sizes.)

I too tried the tcon swap. Inverted colors are due to one being TN and the other being MVA. the bias levels to the pixels are inverted as well as wrong in other ways.

if you could get the fw from the not-produced vx1 tcon for the 39" and copy it, this would be a workable solution.

The former is the tcon board and the latter is the input board it looks like. You would need both to ultimately get a displayport signal through to the tcon through to the panel, assuming it also includes the cables needed to connect the three together.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I too tried the tcon swap. Inverted colors are due to one being TN and the other being MVA. the bias levels to the pixels are inverted as well as wrong in other ways.

if you could get the fw from the not-produced vx1 tcon for the 39" and copy it, this would be a workable solution.

it seems easier to source the board from the skyworth, which uses the very same panel, avoiding this inverted color issue with the U28D590 board.

it seems easier to source the board from the skyworth, which uses the very same panel, avoiding this inverted color issue with the U28D590 board.

I have the skyworth. same tcon as the seiki

edit: disregard, thought this was the 39" thread

Last edited:
I have the skyworth. same tcon as the seiki

edit: disregard, thought this was the 39" thread

anyway, you mean that the skyworth has the same broken scaling at refresh rates above 31Hz@4k?

maarten reported that the skyworth could do 37-41 hz@4k. was that a 50"?:confused:

I did a diff of this 20140707 firmware with the original se50uy04_20130528 firmware, and they are identical when uncompressed (the compression of course being the cause for different file sizes.)

That's odd. Not only does this firmware reduce input lag, but I now get an upgrading screen to go with the flashing Seiki lights.
Never did that before.

Agree, it definitely changes stuff. The most dramatic change I've seen is the sound no longer pops when the set is turned on.

geok1ng: i believe that martin's 39" may have different scaler then 50"'s. At least my 50" skyworth, while also accepted overclocked to similar numbers input, it came with this scaling-soaping on all modes but stock. Even if i reduced refresh rate, not overclocked.

So is there anybody here who is knowledgeable enough and willing to take up the gauntlet that YungMoni started, and turn his FW into a workable thing?

Unless I'm missing something, his firmware doesn't actually do much outside of some cosmetic changes. Personally, I'm more interested in disabling the scaling.

Unless I'm missing something, his firmware doesn't actually do much outside of some cosmetic changes. Personally, I'm more interested in disabling the scaling.

My thinking was only that YungMoni seemed to have access to a large amount of settings.
I agree, I would much rather disable the scaling than anything else!

Does anybody have experience with the Seiki U-VISION scaling cable? Does it make 1440p on this TV look any better?

i found that changing firmware to http://box.houkouonchi.jp/seiki_firm/install.img fixes my random self-resets. but, strangely this firmware skips frames on my 39". is there a comprehensive list of firmwares for this tv?

For the 39", you have the official Seiki firmwares (May 2013, and two from August 2014), houkouonchi's custom, YungMoni's cosmetic changes, and the official 50" firmwares (newest is this one). It's really hard to say which is the "best" since everyone's TVs seem to respond differently. Houk's firmware has a custom EDID with support for 720p/240hz and 1080p/120hz and he removed some color modes that were causing some people trouble. However, all of the firmwares besides the original 39" should be able to handle hit 1080p/120Hz with CRU.

Last edited:
i redid the test with 19HZ in place of 120hz and voilá: no frameskipping. now it is back to spyderxpress for another round of calibration.

For the 39", you have the official Seiki firmwares (May 2013, and two from August 2014), houkouonchi's custom, YungMoni's cosmetic changes, and the official 50" firmwares (newest is this one). It's really hard to say which is the "best" since everyone's TVs seem to respond differently. Houk's firmware has a custom EDID with support for 720p/240hz and 1080p/120hz and he removed some color modes that were causing some people trouble. However, all of the firmwares besides the original 39" should be able to handle hit 1080p/120Hz with CRU.

I would like to try YungMoni's FW but I don't think anybody has gotten it to work yet.

Edit: A Wild YungMoni Appears!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...nch-4k-uhd-owners-thread-10.html#post29057249

Last edited:

Please could you send me what I need set up on linux machine to get this 3840x2160@38hz ?

I am using Kubuntu 14.04 lts now.

Thank you.

Please could you send me what I need set up on linux machine to get this 3840x2160@38hz ?

I am using Kubuntu 14.04 lts now.

Thank you.

Just a word of warning: I can get my Seiki to 3840x2160@38hz as well, but as pbassjunk stated, it is scaley as fuck; in other words, it looks terrible.
Until somebody like YungMoni makes some headway on the scaling, you really don't want to bother.

Just curious, how much better is 38Hz over 30Hz to make it worth the effort to get it to work? Seems like a marginal improvement at best.

aint no f improvement if it is scaley.
somewhere around 33Hz this TV's scaler goes nuts and picture quality goes downhill. 4k@38Hz is not " better" than 4k@30hz.
actually 4k@38hz looks a lot like 480x320@38Hz, but blurrier.
31Hz was, is, and most likely will be the limit of decent 4k on this TV.

.. or it's FW. I somewhat guess that rather it's FW that decides depending on detected input to tell monitor HW/scaler to do what and how. It's up to to what extent HW can be hacked up (it may even require source for some parts to enable compiling different binaries or to find in source how/what it does) then and to what extent people are familiar with Seiki's firmware inner workings, probably not documented anywhere but for very few seiki engineers.

aint no f improvement if it is scaley.
somewhere around 33Hz this TV's scaler goes nuts and picture quality goes downhill. 4k@38Hz is not " better" than 4k@30hz.
actually 4k@38hz looks a lot like 480x320@38Hz, but blurrier.
31Hz was, is, and most likely will be the limit of decent 4k on this TV.
I suspect he was referring to how much smoother 38hz is over 30hz, to see if it would even be worth attempting to fix the scaling issue.

My answer to that would be, when you are dealing with such low refresh rates, almost anything is a worthwhile improvement!

I suspect he was referring to how much smoother 38hz is over 30hz, to see if it would even be worth attempting to fix the scaling issue.

My answer to that would be, when you are dealing with such low refresh rates, almost anything is a worthwhile improvement!

This

At 38hz the input lag is acceptable. If there was a brute force way to disable the scaler we'd have good looking 4k res w/ tolerable lag.

Back