Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

Prove it. I got a machines here clean installed with AMD 7950, the latest 14 catalyst,. the latest CRU and the latest firmware on the TV as well the last custom INF. What date is your custom inf? What custom firmware did you put on? the second or the first modifed one?

I can sit at 120hz desktop all day long. However not a single game of any type will run at 1920x1080/120hz. Not. a. single. one. The display/desktop stays at 4k and the games are all forced to full screen at 30hz 1920x1080 scaled. Does not matter if gpu scaling is off or on. Then when you set the desktop to 1080p 120hz, every single game comes up massive or black screen.

This is all on Windows 8.1 64 bit and Windows 7 64bit.

At this point It's been weeks. Had several self proclaimed forum nerds from OCN and AVS forums help out remote screen and over the phone. I even offered money!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got it working like a dream...

I got 120Hz @ 1920x1080p
I got 75Hz @ 2560x1440 / 2560x1400
I got 50Hz @ 3074x1728

I cannot get above 30Hz for 3840x2160 resolution tho I tried 31,32,33,34,35Hz and all terrible scaling.. but the panel does update at 35fps! :p

The TV is in my opinion very good, especially for the price tag...
Now if the guys in this forum are for real about the Circuits Upgrade for 3840x2160 @ 60... for a few hundred.. now that's what will make this tv excite me!
As I understand A new motherboard and TController with a display port input (All hdmi/tv tuner etc will be removed) and replace with new bits to make this screen FULLY 60HZ (Possibly 60+hz) @ 2160p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

back to your issue!

Now speaking of custom resolutions, they scale pretty badly.. but games don't mind it acts as a anti aliasing i guess..

1080p scales BADLY with original Firmware, It will scale 1:2px but must use the 50In Firmware or use the custom Firmware thats floating around.. a custom firmware with added EDID's for 120hz / 240Hz.
It looks great

I found a small issue with the custom firmware's EDID 1920x1080p, It makes my GPU Memory stay at full speed and system power consumption stays higher.. (simple fix is to add the same resolution to CRU but add more timings to blanking etc)

I USED CRU 1.1.1 to create 2 additional resolutions.. as CRU should have the 120Hz 1080p & requires standard 3840x2160@30

I added the other 2 I spoke about above.. 2560x1400 (I feel scale is slightly better than 1440) and 3074x1728

Next a guide to add resolutions to BCD2
1. Run regedit with administrative privileges.
2. Navigate to your 2d Driver file path. The path can be found in CCC under information: software. It should be under hkeylocalmachine/system/controlset001/control/class/ (the last part of the path is specific to each driver version).
3. Click on it and double click the reg file titled "DALNonStandardModesBCD2"
4. Edit this file.

The syntax in the file may seem a little confusing. The first four numbers are for the horizontal resolution, the next four numbers are the vertical resolution. The next eight numbers are for color settings that I am not going to get into. The final two numbers are for refresh rate. Leave the refresh rate 00, as this will make windows search for all driver level added refresh rates.

For example, if I wanted to add 3200x1800 I would type:

32 00 18 00 00 00 00 00 00

Regedit will add another line automatically once all fields are populated.

Some Information Provided by me, Guide written by "salamachaa" on overclock.net

This problem been around for ages... on my old system my fullHD tv use to play games @ 24hz It use to Pi$$ me off so I found out this on my own.

So to play crysis and other games at this resolution @ Hz
Using regedit I added to BCD2 resolutions just under my HIGH HZ resolutions..
eg:

1920x1080 (I added 1920x1076) allows fullscreen gameplay at 120Hz
2560x1400 (I added 2560x1396)
3074x1728 (I added 3074x1724)

As precaution and to give extra help in working properly.........
It might pay to change to your 1920x1080p 120Hz resolution first before jumping to the game.
In CCC I added Profiles with shortcuts eg Ctrl-Alt-Shift 1 = 1080p@30hz / Ctrl-Alt-Shift 2 = 1080p @ 120hz Makes life easy...

then in your game select the resolution 1920x1076 it should play at 120hz.. Fingers Crossed

My Crysis3 and others do :)

So Like I said..

Use the custom firmware spoken about here Or 1080p Looks blurry and Shite!

Make sure "Enable GPU scaling" is disabled in CCC->My Digital Flat Panels

ALSO SOMEWHAT OF A GUIDE HERE My FRIEND "salamachaa"

EDIT:
I dont know if linking to another forum is allowed.. If not.. forgive me and remove the links.. I will copy the information to here if required!

Last edited:
This AMD@120Hz is scalating to a flame war. been there, done that.

For some weird reason using AMd i couldn´t made the TV work at 4k or 1080p120hz using an HDMi cable, but things went smoother once i got an Dp to HDMI active adapter.

not all is green under NVIDIA. under AMD windows "change resolution" box was a fast and easy way to change resolutions, connections and force display detection. using nvidia i lack a reliable way to force detect a new display. this is an issue with the seiki because resume from sleep is broken on this TV. i gave up putting the monitor on standby and use the remote to shut off the tv instead of relying in resume from sleep.

on the other hand NVIDIA works just fine with a plain hdmi cable, setting custom resolutions is more direct and the sRGB mode is selected on the control panel, not hidden under "use display EDID" like AMD.

I can sit at 120hz desktop all day long. However not a single game of any type will run at 1920x1080/120hz. Not. a. single. one. The display/desktop stays at 4k and the games are all forced to full screen at 30hz 1920x1080 scaled. Does not matter if gpu scaling is off or on. Then when you set the desktop to 1080p 120hz, every single game comes up massive or black screen.

This is all on Windows 8.1 64 bit and Windows 7 64bit

I had this problem too (desktop is set to 4k res (with only 2 res set in CRU, 4k@30 and 1080P@120). What I do (as noted by toxsickcity in last post) is set the desktop res to 1080P@120hz via ATI CCC before entering any game and that works for me. My setup is: Win7 64 bit, R9 290x(workaround works on drivers 13.12 up to 14.3 betas), HDMI (rocketfish 8' gaming cable). I do not have the atikmdag Pixel clock patch enabled as that breaks hdcp for me.

I also had intermittent black screen (screen blacks out for a second or 2 every few minutes). Had to use following settings in CRU:
1920x1080
Front Porch: 88,4
Sync Width: 44,5
Back Porch: 148,36
Blanking: 280,45
Total: 2200,1125

Refresh Rate: 119.878
Horizontal: 134.863
Pixel Clock: 296.70

Last edited:
THIS. No flame wars or anything else, just a comprehensive list of trail blazers that went before me. Never EVER have I had such a pain in the ass setup.

Anyone in the market for a used 7950 Windforce 3 AND a MSI Twinfrozr 3 7850? Going to throw these cards away as they are worthless beyond mining.

Im on Nvidia, and to get the games to work at 120hz, I must first set my desktop resolution to 1080p 120hz, then launch the game. If my desktop is set to 4k 30hz, and i launch the game, the game 'defaults' to 1080p60, very odd, but i get by.

This monitor is a rose! its beautiful, but it has thornz. No other gaming monitor in the market will offer this size, colors, CONTRAST, ability to do both 120hz and 4k :) ....so let us not complain.

You forgot to mention main seiki feature - price. Imho that's what sets it apart from rest the most.

As an owner with a Radeon 7870, i can confirm that both 4k30hz and 1080p120hz work just fine, got it working on 99% of games by using CRU, AMD pixel clock patcher, and RadeonPro (this ones sometimes required to force it into 120hz and sometimes to activate double vsync for games capped at 60fps.). I've confirmed it working via frameskipping test on blurbusters as well.

I'm sorry to hear some of you have had a bad experience and couldn't get 120hz to work, i'm not sure what was preventing it from working. : (

After a lot of initial activity, those proposing the 39" upgrade have fallen silent. They are either busy working on the mod or the the silence has a good reason behind it.

After a lot of initial activity, those proposing the 39" upgrade have fallen silent. They are either busy working on the mod or the the silence has a good reason behind it.

I am skeptical that Sinuhet will be able to deliver the enhanced tcon within 2-3 months, but I will re-buy a Seiki 39" / 50" in the unlikely event that he can! Otherwise, I will just wait until HDMI 2.0 becomes standard and pickup a native 60hz 4k 40"-50" HDTV then!

The 39" Version has just gone on sale in the UK under the Bush Brand, @ £699 UK!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/BUSH+39.htm

Looks like it may have a slightly modified mainboard from the spec listing, as it is advertising a Freeview HD Tuner and Freesat Tuner. + Mobile Connectivity.

Will be interesting to see if any Firmware updates become avaialble for this version

Product description / spec

Experience the latest in TV technology with this 39 Inch Ultra HD LED TV. Ultra HD offers four times the resolution of Full HD and the 8.29 million individual pixels gives stunning clarity and colours that will surpass anything you've seen before. As more content becomes available in the near future, you'll be one of the first to see it in its full 4K Ultra HD glory.

Take advantage of the upsclaing HDMI cable that is supplied with this TV, which will show your DVDs and Blu-ray DVDs to almost Ultra HD quality. This 4k Ultra High Definition TV will also be great for gaming and as a computer monitor too!

Television picture quality:

Screen size: 39in (98cm).
Resolution 3840 x 2160 pixels.
Motion rate 120Hz.
Response time 6 milliseconds.
Viewing angle 176/176 degrees.
Connectivity:

1 SCART socket, 1 USB port and 3 HDMI sockets.
PC input socket.
Component video socket.
Composite.
Optical connection.
Headphone socket.
AV socket.
Mobile high-definition link.
Sound quality:

SRS sound system.
Digital features:

Freeview HD and Freesat HD digital tuner.
CI+ slot.
Additional features:

Sleep timer.
Child lock.
Size of TV H53.9, W89.3, D7.2cm.
Weight of TV 21.1kg (unpackaged).
Size of TV with stand: H59.3, W89.3, D20cm.
Weight of TV with stand: 22.6kg.
Suitable for wall mounting.
Energy efficiency information:

Energy efficiency rating: B.
Energy efficiency index (EEI) 0.42.
On mode power consumption 72 watts.
Off mode power consumption 0 watt.
Annual power consumption 105kWh.
Standby power consumption 0.5 watt.
This product contains lead.
Mercury content 1000mg.

I am skeptical that Sinuhet will be able to deliver the enhanced tcon within 2-3 months, but I will re-buy a Seiki 39" / 50" in the unlikely event that he can! Otherwise, I will just wait until HDMI 2.0 becomes standard and pickup a native 60hz 4k 40"-50" HDTV then!

Yeah.. I wouldn't put much stock in it ever happening actually. I certainly don't really think it will... I have heard about a possible future 120Hz 4k option which I can't go into any details about and its actually coming from a source where I will believe it will happen rather than a random guy on the internet I know nothing about =P

Guys
thank you for your inputs regarding my recent questions. We are working on it - currently changing the design of the board, so there may be HDMI 1.4 as well.
- I would say once we have a working prototype I will post a video on youtube and then you can decide if you buy or not.
- For all those talking about HDMI 2.0: please realise it will take a long time until you will have a source of video output with HDMI 2.0 interface (such as graphic card, or blue ray player). In other words it makes no sense to concentrate on it at this moment.
- All those talking about FHD@120 etc. please realise the technical limitations of the chain: video input connector (HDMI/DP) - TV-board with its scaler - video output interface of the TV board (LVDS/Vx1) - T-con (with its chip) - ribbons to glass (2 or 4?). If one part of the chain becomes bottle neck for FHD@120 and/or 4K@30/60 you will never get good/perfect results.

I will update you in about 3-4 weeks when the board is comming.
Sinuhet

Guys
thank you for your inputs regarding my recent questions. We are working on it - currently changing the design of the board, so there may be HDMI 1.4 as well.
- I would say once we have a working prototype I will post a video on youtube and then you can decide if you buy or not.
- For all those talking about HDMI 2.0: please realise it will take a long time until you will have a source of video output with HDMI 2.0 interface (such as graphic card, or blue ray player). In other words it makes no sense to concentrate on it at this moment.
- All those talking about FHD@120 etc. please realise the technical limitations of the chain: video input connector (HDMI/DP) - TV-board with its scaler - video output interface of the TV board (LVDS/Vx1) - T-con (with its chip) - ribbons to glass (2 or 4?). If one part of the chain becomes bottle neck for FHD@120 and/or 4K@30/60 you will never get good/perfect results.

I will update you in about 3-4 weeks when the board is comming.
Sinuhet

Thank you for the update. Good luck with the technical endeavors.

Best,
thomas

Sinuhet: how about not working on extra hdmi 1.4 for custom board, rather on "pass-through" solution to reuse original board & it's inputs with some switch to switch between boards and restarting TV? Imho should be cheaper and all the original fuctionality not far away without disassembling/replacing. Will also enable already usable FHD@120Hz as these TVs support now.

many reasons why this will not work: 4ch LVDS from seiki board to T-con, not good enough realtek scaler on seiki board, etc.
Sinuhet: how about not working on extra hdmi 1.4 for custom board, rather on "pass-through" solution to reuse original board & it's inputs with some switch to switch between boards and restarting TV? Imho should be cheaper and all the original fuctionality not far away without disassembling/replacing. Will also enable already usable FHD@120Hz as these TVs support now.

Avoid this monitor like the plague if you have AMD. Several forums and not a single self proclaimed PC nerd has the skill or the ability to make this monitor work at 120hz gaming @ 1920x1080. Not a single one even breaths a word on how they got it to work other than the same CRU-CCC circle jerk that does not work and never has on 3 machines, 2 operating systems and 2 AMD cards.

Nvidia it works fine.

Moral of the story: Never go Red, EVER.

Look Zykon808,

it's not very productive to rant like a child because something you attempted to do doesn't get the results you want. There's the possibility that you just didn't do the right steps to achieve what many people have already done.

There's also no need to bring up the AMD/Nvidia trash talk, cause this isn't the place for it. It's a thread for Seiki owners who want to get the most out of this monitor. And for what it's worth, I've actually seen more issues with Nvidia cards on threads than AMD.

I've used the CRU method and now I'm using houkouonchi's inf file. They both worked for me on the first try and I'm enjoying my monitor immensely. There's nothing that comes close for the money. I use 4k@30Hz for everyday stuff and 1080P@120hz for gaming. I used to be bothered by the lag, but now that I'm used to it, it doesn't give me grief. I used to game back in the 90's when you had to assume where you were shooting in a FPS cause lag was omnipresent and you just dealt with it.

There are a ton of people who are willing to help you out on this forum, myself included. If you want help, I can try. It's difficult to address this using something like teamviewer, because of reboots and lag, but if you give me the instructions you used, I can try and see where there might have been issues. Throw in that 7950 and I'll promise you I'll get it working...which kinda defeats the purpose eh?

You want proof that it can work at 120Hz @ 1080P? Also can get 240Hz @ 720P. Yes, it works in game too. You're going to have to trust me on that. Don't want to make a video.

CS3NGNA.jpg

X0VpkRK.jpg

nyLlF5J.jpg

Last edited:
Avoid this monitor like the plague if you have AMD. Several forums and not a single self proclaimed PC nerd has the skill or the ability to make this monitor work at 120hz gaming @ 1920x1080. Not a single one even breaths a word on how they got it to work other than the same CRU-CCC circle jerk that does not work and never has on 3 machines, 2 operating systems and 2 AMD cards.

Nvidia it works fine.

Moral of the story: Never go Red, EVER.

I have 120hz working fine with my HD7970 using the custom monitor drivers houkouonchi posted awhile back. I didn't need the CRU app/pixel clock patch at all.

For whatever reason if I'm running at 4k and want to switch back to 120hz 1080p I have to enable and then immediately disable GPU scaling in Catalyst control center (my digital flat panels-> properties). Hit enable apply, disable, apply again. Once I do that the 1080p 120hz option appears in control panel -> screen resolution -> Advanced -> Monitor tab like any other refresh rate. Games work fine at 1080p 120hz, if I hit info on the remote it shows 1920x1080 120Hz.

Another weird thing: Has anyone had any crashes while playing web videos? Like videos on twitter and some video game sites cause my screen to get corrupted then reboot.

Only happens on my Seiki. Go to same videos with other monitors and it's fine.

No pixel patch here or anything. Just CRU and CCC off of HDMI direct.

Since I have everything working perfectly fine right now with my setup on the 39", I'm going to leave it alone. Unless it can do something special that is.

Just checked the Seiki firmware website. What's the difference between the two firmwares btw?

Model # SE39UY04 – 20130827
Model # SE39UY04 – 20130828 With Backlight And color TEMP

Are the just different firmwares for the same TV? One allows backlight and temp control? Confused.

Basically as far as I know this is a Seiki 39" rom file that allows 120hz. The other two on the web page do not allow 120hz. The 50" rom onto the 39" does unofficially.

Of course I could be wrong on this file, I do not know how to rip them apart to see if they are the same or different.

Ive been looking for a way to get 120hz on my 39" without voiding the warranty. Can anyone tell me where to find the ROM, the latest I see on their website is from August 2013.

The 2013 39" version is the latest version available. There is the 50" version which is also 2013. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that there may be a new firmware release "soon". The Seiki site is authoratative.

pulled the trigger, 1080p 120hz VA and 4k option was too good to pass up. Hopefully the old 6950 can handle it...

Yeah, unfortunately you're going to need a new graphics card there, chief.

I had two (modded) 6950s when I got my seiki 50". I was sorely disappointed when 4k wouldn't work.

The spec sheet for the 6950 lists 2560x1600 as the max resolution for every output, and I was unable to hack a solution. I took the new monitor as a good excuse to upgrade the cards and gifted them to my wife who just plays civ5 all day on her 30".

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/6000/6950#2

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Oh well, it was time to upgrade anyway. I was waiting for the high-end Maxwell parts, may just run it at 1080p 120hz and use 4K (HiDPI 1440p) on my Macbook Pro.

Yeah, unfortunately you're going to need a new graphics card there, chief.

I had two (modded) 6950s when I got my seiki 50". I was sorely disappointed when 4k wouldn't work.

The spec sheet for the 6950 lists 2560x1600 as the max resolution for every output, and I was unable to hack a solution. I took the new monitor as a good excuse to upgrade the cards and gifted them to my wife who just plays civ5 all day on her 30".

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/6000/6950#2

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Oh well, it was time to upgrade anyway. I was waiting for the high-end Maxwell parts, may just run it at 1080p 120hz and use 4K (HiDPI 1440p) on my Macbook Pro.

I'm running it on a 6950 (bios of 6970). You can even do it on a 5xxx card. Just run http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

Hello hardforum people!
I been reading this forum for years, but this is apparently my first post.
:D
I just got this TV - to use as a computer monitor, naturally.
I'm something of a "late early adopter", huh?
Anyway, just started messing with it, while I'm waiting for a more capable videocard, I hooked it up @ 1080p and went to the service menu to adjust overscan to 100. Looks alright.
But when I turn the TV off, it resets the overscan to 96.
Is there some way to "save" the settings?

never mind, found the answer in the tread.

But put me down for the 60hz mod.

Last edited:
Just got mine today, and installed it. My Intel HD 4600 automatically switched to 4k / 30hz with no issues. The display real estate is pretty amazing.

My only complaint is that the display is way too bright, even with the backlight set to zero. I tried adjusting the brightness down from 50, but this blows out the colors. Is there any way to make the display any darker? I'm really not concerned about color accuracy, as long as it looks decent. I'll mainly be using it for coding.

edit: It really doesn't seem like the backlight control does anything, is it just a really slight change, or am I doing it wrong?

Last edited:
from memory this tv does not have backlight adjustments default..
on stardard firmware you have backlight in service menu
ie: Menu -> 0000
see backlight in there

otherwise read the last 3-4 pages of this post. and see details about the custom firmwares etc...
I know the seikidigital firmware on website support backlight with normal menu
but custom 50in firmware does not.. I use it in the service menu.

To flash a tv's firmware..
the install file from the firmware zip must be copied to a flash drive and formatted as FAT 32 or FAT 16 one of them..
no other files can be on the flash drive.. only the install file in the root..
goto Menu -> 0000 and see option to flash the firmware...

the instructions on their website are BULL$HIT..

P.S. EDIT..
I dont know for sure, Ive seen problems where using stock firmware.. changing brightness or backlight does nothing.. moving it higher or lower did not adjust brightness until I switched firmwares..

Last edited:
Back