Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

1) I don't need a HDMI input.
2) I'm ready to go with this solution ASAP.
3) Don't need anything else as I only use this as a computer monitor.

That's a passive adapter and it changes a DP output to a hdmi output. The question is about having the display have an hdmi input.
that is true. 2 problems:
1. one way adapter DP to HDMI
2. Supports PC resolutions up to 1920x1200 and HDTV resolutions up to 1080p

What you would need is:
1. Adapter HDMI 1.4 to DP 1.2
2. Supporting 4K@30hz
So far I know, it does not exist... Correct me if I am wrong, please.

So, enjoying my 39", but the windows resizing and moving to the corner of the monitor whne the monitor is turned off is falling into the classification of SUCKS. Is buying an HDMI detective the only solution to this???

I found a thread where folks made a registry adjustment to help:
http:///Nbwo5T

But, it seems like it only keeps the windows from resizing, not from moving to the corner...must...find...fix....

I heard about someone covering up pin 19 or something on the HDMI cable to stop this as well but honestly if going to that extreme I think I would just buy an HDMI detective.

DP only is fine (i will finally get to use mine for something other than an adapter) Plus i wouldn't want to make it any more expensive than it needs to be.

I have PS3/PS4/2nd PC running via a 3 to 1 HDMI selector box, which then passes via a Live Gamer Portable capture card, then finally to my 39" Seiki HDMI port.

So it would be really good if I could have just 1 HDMI input for this. If not, its not the end of the world as Im sure i can get another input selector between that and my main PC input.

So, enjoying my 39", but the windows resizing and moving to the corner of the monitor whne the monitor is turned off is falling into the classification of SUCKS. Is buying an HDMI detective the only solution to this???

I found a thread where folks made a registry adjustment to help:
http:///Nbwo5T

But, it seems like it only keeps the windows from resizing, not from moving to the corner...must...find...fix....

I got Autosizer. I tought it to autosize my browser and my email program, and assigned a hot-key to 'resize now'.

When my Seiki monitor switches back on, and the windows are all scrunched up and in the wrong position, I press the HotKey combination (CTRL-8 in my case) and Autosizer rectifies the problem immediately.

If you have other programs/apps you want in a particular location/size on the screen, Autosizer is pretty well the go-to tool. It's free and takes no resources.

This really fixes the problem.

1. Do you still need any HDMI 1.4 input which is capable only 4K@30Hz? (There are no HDMI 2.0 chips yet available.)
2. Would you go for this solution, even knowing you will loose your Seiki's board with all its inputs (TV, tuner, coaxial, 3 x HDMI 1.4, VGA etc.)?
3. Any other "MUST HAVE" or "NICE TO HAVE" features I have not mentioned?
Sinuhet

1) No.
2) Yes.
3) MUST HAVE: 120Hz @ 1080p

1) No.
2) Yes.
3) MUST HAVE: 120Hz @ 1080p

1) no
2) Yes, but can I swap the Seiki board back? Sorry if this has already been answered.
3) Also must have 120hz @ 1080P

I would be a go for this solution as soon as it's ready.

UPGRADE OF 39" and 50" SEIKI TO 4K@60
NOW, a few questions on you:
1. Do you still need any HDMI 1.4 input which is capable only 4K@30Hz? (There are no HDMI 2.0 chips yet available.)
2. Would you go for this solution, even knowing you will loose your Seiki's board with all its inputs (TV, tuner, coaxial, 3 x HDMI 1.4, VGA etc.)?
Sinuhet
(Seiki 39)
1. Would like to but can live without
2. Yes
3. 120Hz@1080 is still nice to have. I would like to have 4K@60Hz as Displayport SST mode (but MST is ok is the new Tcon doesn't support 4K@60Hz in SST mode). Would be very nice if scaling to lower resolutions (2560x1440, 1920x1080) is supported.

Last edited:
1) no
2) Yes, but can I swap the Seiki board back? Sorry if this has already been answered.
3) Also must have 120hz @ 1080P

I would be a go for this solution as soon as it's ready.

YES, you can swap the Seiki board back if you swap the original T-con with cables between as well.

Hi guys
I have a good message for you. It looks like we will be able to provide "4K@60Hz upgrade" for both 39" and 50" Seikis.
The upgrade should consist of:
- new Tcon board (to be replaced in the display itself)
- input board (1 x DP 1.2 input, no other video inputs)
- necessary cables
- new metalwork which matches connectors present on input board (DP, USB)

This MEANS you will not be able to use Seiki's proprietary board with all its input connectors etc, because it will be physically removed from the TV due to upgrade.

Endpoint:
- true 4K@60Hz via 1 x DP 1.2
- significant reduction in input lag!!!
- you will still get audio coming via DP 1.2 on Seiki's speakers (our board will have audio out connector)
- USB hub to connect keyboard/mouse or other devices
- you will be able to use Seiki's remote control to power on/off the TV
- you will be able to use Seiki's buttons on the side of the TV
- the functionality of Seiki's blue LED should stay the same
- the IR controller commands can be forwarded by USB to your operating system

Sinuhet

I have the 50" and the 39" so my answers will appear for both like -- "Yes - Yes" or "No - No"

1 -- Yes - Yes (so that I can connect my BluRay Players. I have 1 for each TV)
2 -- Yes - No (I'd upgrade the 50" and see how it works out, then I'd consider buying another kit for the 39" Seiki)
3 -- As long as I still have a Audio Out connector on the TV, I'm satisfied.

Will the remote still work for the menu to adjust settings like sharpness etc?

and my answers

yes,yes, don't care

I heard about someone covering up pin 19 or something on the HDMI cable to stop this as well but honestly if going to that extreme I think I would just buy an HDMI detective.

The HDMI Detective is definitely the right way to go (I use one on my steambox for audio over AMD HDMI). If you don't want to spring for one yet I would recommend using a 90-deg HDMI adapter, cracking it open, and snipping the wire relating to the pin you are trying to block. I found that much easier to pull off than putting tape inside the end of the HDMI plug. It worked for me on my HTPC.

Note: all of my experience is at 1920x1080.

I have a 50 inch and would definitely take the upgrade. DP only is fine with me as I only have computer hooked up.

thanks

FYI, it looks like the slow loading behavior in Chrome at 4k/30Hz has been fixed in Canary for a few days.

Has anyone taken a look at the 10.9.3 beta? Supposedly has native 4k HiDPI support.

I also wonder if it's possible to make DP 1.2 MST>HDMI 2.0 converter. Imho should be simpler to make then full TV control board. So far never heard of such made or of plans to make such, and while it will be usable only with Seiki Pro line (and after their firmware upgrade to gain HDMI2 support), not first UY04 models .. but will enable UHD60p for many current ones and much much more future one 2nd gen UHD TVs made by all the vendors but Panasonic, which is only one making UHD TVs with native DP port. As bonus DP>HDMI2 converter will leave all the TV functions intact & will be much simpler to use/connect then replacing board within TV.

Hi all, newcomer here :)

No Seiki yet, but Sinuhet's board will be a godsend.

For the questions :
1. yes, but very optional (i would use it to connect a second Seiki to my graphic card's HDMI out ... only one displayport)
2. yes
3. would a 48hz mode be possible? (for smooth playback of 24fps movies in 4K mode), or is the panel limited to 120 "only"?

3. would a 48hz mode be possible? (for smooth playback of 24fps movies in 4K mode), or is the panel limited to 120 "only"?

120 is a multiple of 24, so it should handle that rate without issue.

120 is a multiple of 24, so it should handle that rate without issue.
understood :) but with the new adapter, 4k60hz is max, iirc. so we have the usual 60hz/24fps problem. thats why i asked for 48 fps support. i'd take 72hz too :)

1) 1 input is all that's needed! HDMI can die
2) Imma buy it the second you let me
3) 1080p@120hz and 4k@60hz are the only two resolution/refresh combo's I care about.

Hi guys
I have a good message for you. It looks like we will be able to provide "4K@60Hz ...
Who is we?
>- USB hub to connect keyboard/mouse or other devices
Nice!
What about dpms power saving modes? Will that work?

Neither did I, but not all of us have triple titans to support AAA gaming @2160p. :)

And I'd like to game higher than 1080p with somewhat decent scaling.

Neither did I, but not all of us have triple titans to support AAA gaming @2160p. :)

And I'd like to game higher than 1080p with somewhat decent scaling.

That's what GPU scaling is for. Letting the GPU handle scaling also makes the display hardware and firmware less complicated.

Sinuhet

1. No
2. Yes
3. 120hz 1080p is a must.

Hey guys, had my Seiki working great on my Nvidia system, however now I got it attached to a AMD 7950 system. Couple of questions:

How on earth do you keep it at true 1080p 120hz and not that 4k 1080p stuck at 30hz?

All my games now switch to 1080p but display shows 4k 30hz in info. How to make it work?

Tried searching this thread but way to huge.

Thanks!

Sinuhet

1. I don't need HDMI.
Anyway, I need to buy new PC to get 4k@60hz.
I hope there will be a laptop with DP1.2 without Optimus and lighter than 2.3kg.
2. Yes
3. 1920x1080@120hz and 2560x1440@>=75Hz without scaling would be nice.

I hope your upgrade board will be able to ship to Japan.

Weren't best results when scaling to whole pixels.., as in FHD (1:2) in UHD case? With all the other resolutions on LCDs i expect at non native resolutions washed out image unlike on CRTs, even if board/scaler accepts such input.

Yeah but people are getting better results on the Sony 4ks. I was wondering is people had been able to do tv (not GPU) scaling for 2880x1620 to be able to get 60hz.

It's about half the number of pixels (vs. Uhd) so 60hz is theoretically possible and it might scale better than 2560x1440.

Yeah but people are getting better results on the Sony 4ks. I was wondering is people had been able to do tv (not GPU) scaling for 2880x1620 to be able to get 60hz.

It's about half the number of pixels (vs. Uhd) so 60hz is theoretically possible and it might scale better than 2560x1440.
Yes, you can create 2880x1620@60 Hz custom resolution (I have GTX780).
But, see the (lack of) quality.
QjHA6Be.jpg

Back