Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

UPGGRADE about upgrade :)
1. Once we have the solution, we will let it know here first with the way how to sign in.
2. It seems to be much easier to upgrade 50" seiki compare to 39" seiki... The problem is 39" T-con has only 2 ribbons out, compare to 50" T-con having 4...
3. Please realize in both cases you have to replace the T-con, motherboard and the cables between.
Sinuhet

1. Once we have the solution, we will let it know here first with the way how to sign in.
2. It seems to be much easier to upgrade 50" seiki compare to 39" seiki... The problem is 39" T-con has only 2 ribbons out, compare to 50" T-con having 4...
3. Please realize in both cases you have to replace the T-con, motherboard and the cables between.
Sinuhet

But it is exactly the 39" that would benefit most from higher refresh rates.

As long as you can keep your BoM low and margins high, i would rather have a lower cost kit for 48Hz on the 39" that an extremely expensive/hot/hard to cool kit for 60Hz. Bleeding edge electronics passived cooled in confined spaces is scary stuff.

On the other hand, reaching 4k + 72Hz is a hefty incentive for buyers of a DiY kit, even at 4:2:0 color samplings.

That is something to thing about: overcoming the hardware limitations by using color subsampling. as long as the user can still have the full blown 8 bit 30Hz if he needs it, increasing the refresh rate at 4k at the cost of color is a trade off worth it.

When we got the 39" we were planning on using it as a monitor, not as a TV, since 39" is too small for 4k content anyway. So low input lag, no scaling, no YCbCr crap is essential. please try to keep the service menu capability of controlling the backlight and fine tuning of color channels/LUT, The seiki service menu is something we dont't see in monitors 3x the Seiki price.

Sinuhet
Interesting, I thought 2 cables were enough bandwidth for 4k @ 60hz and 4 would only be needed for 4k @ 120hz. Either way I'm in for a kit if I get either. A 50" would be an awesome compromise to my 3x30" setup, especially for the 3840x1080 and 3840x1620 (32:9 and 21:9) I could setup with custom scaling.

I just got the SE55UY04! It is beautiful but if anyone knows good calibration for it, let me know! Also I am seeing some artifacts when playing blu-ray, not a deal breaker cuz it only appears sometimes, but if anyone has any suggestions let me know! Thank you!

But it is exactly the 39" that would benefit most from higher refresh rates.

As long as you can keep your BoM low and margins high, i would rather have a lower cost kit for 48Hz on the 39" that an extremely expensive/hot/hard to cool kit for 60Hz. Bleeding edge electronics passived cooled in confined spaces is scary stuff.

On the other hand, reaching 4k + 72Hz is a hefty incentive for buyers of a DiY kit, even at 4:2:0 color samplings.

That is something to thing about: overcoming the hardware limitations by using color subsampling. as long as the user can still have the full blown 8 bit 30Hz if he needs it, increasing the refresh rate at 4k at the cost of color is a trade off worth it.

When we got the 39" we were planning on using it as a monitor, not as a TV, since 39" is too small for 4k content anyway. So low input lag, no scaling, no YCbCr crap is essential. please try to keep the service menu capability of controlling the backlight and fine tuning of color channels/LUT, The seiki service menu is something we dont't see in monitors 3x the Seiki price.

I am aware that most of you folks have 39" Seiki... the trouble with seiki 39" is it has 2 ribbons from T-con to the glass but seiki 50" has 4 ribbons instead. In other words you can not make one T-con solution for both. That makes it more complicated. Someone has written here that Seiki was one of the most sold TVs on Amazon. Is that true? Would be interesting to know how much they sold...
P.S. It will not be hot.
Sinuhet

I am aware that most of you folks have 39" Seiki... the trouble with seiki 39" is it has 2 ribbons from T-con to the glass but seiki 50" has 4 ribbons instead. In other words you can not make one T-con solution for both. That makes it more complicated. Someone has written here that Seiki was one of the most sold TVs on Amazon. Is that true? Would be interesting to know how much they sold...
P.S. It will not be hot.
Sinuhet

I have both the 39" and the 50" so I'm not really worried about which one you're making it for...but the 39" would be a better candidate because I'm using it as my monitor, ;)

I already moved the 50" Seiki to the livingroom to replace my 46" Samsung. I don't want to have to move it back to the computer room, hahahaha

Interesting, I thought 2 cables were enough bandwidth for 4k @ 60hz and 4 would only be needed for 4k @ 120hz. Either way I'm in for a kit if I get either. A 50" would be an awesome compromise to my 3x30" setup, especially for the 3840x1080 and 3840x1620 (32:9 and 21:9) I could setup with custom scaling.

39" and 50" Seiki have only 4 ch LVDS...

I'll gladly buy the upgrade kit for the 50" as soon as it becomes available. I'm very much looking forward to this! Keep up the great work!

I'm getting progressively more annoyed by the audible buzz that comes from my 39" when either a) the backlight is dimmed below 100 or b) a black or otherwise dark image or website is displayed when not set to native resolution. I'm no engineer, but the common link seems to be when the display isn't blindingly bright. Does anyone else get this and, more importantly, does anyone know of a way to fix this issue?

Also, has anyone cracked one of these open and taken pictures?

P.S. It will not be hot.
Sinuhet

Gettings sales data from Amazon or Seiki will be difficult. Seiki does not provide press release with sales numbers. Trying to assist, I've researched import/exports for Seiki Digital - Diamond Bar CA., USA and Tsinghua Tongfang Company, HK and CN. It appears that information on specific company / product imports requires a paid subscription.

Regarding best selling TV on amazon.. No.

This report shows a samsung 32.
http://www.geekwire.com/2013/amazons-bestselling-products-holiday-season/

This report shows a set from oCosmo
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...rious-company-behind-the-best-selling-tv.aspx

Currently it is ranked on Amazon as #20
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ectronics/172659/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_2_1266092011

At CES:2014, it states less than 60K 4K TV;s were sold in USA in 2013
http://www.tvpredictions.com/4k010614.htm

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Gettings sales data from Amazon or Seiki will be difficult. Seiki does not provide press release with sales numbers. Trying to assist, I've researched import/exports for Seiki Digital - Diamond Bar CA., USA and Tsinghua Tongfang Company, HK and CN. It appears that information on specific company / product imports requires a paid subscription.

Regarding best selling TV on amazon.. No.

This report shows a samsung 32.
http://www.geekwire.com/2013/amazons-bestselling-products-holiday-season/

This report shows a set from oCosmo
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...rious-company-behind-the-best-selling-tv.aspx

Currently it is ranked on Amazon as #20
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ectronics/172659/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_2_1266092011

At CES:2014, it states less than 60K 4K TV;s were sold in USA in 2013
http://www.tvpredictions.com/4k010614.htm

Dear thomaslfessler, thank you, it is very kind of you.
- probably it was/is Nr. 1 4K-TV on Amazon...
- yes some of the data I am familliar with: 60.000 4K-TV sold in USA in 2013, 500.000 4K-TV unit for 2014 is the current prediction
- Could you send me the paid link for import/exports of Seiki Digital? I may pay for it :) Thank you!
Once again thank you for help!
Sinuhet

Not impossible, but it would be extremely expensive.
Plus, it will probably use eDP or iDP, so you will still have restrictions.
evt, Thank you.
I'm not savvy about hardware and I didn't thought it would be so expensive.

I will buy 300 DIY kit for 39 inch.
But I don't have PC with display port or HDMI2.0 now.
I will buy new PC when Geforce8xx are released.

Has anyone solved the issue where on the 39" at 1080p 120hz, the screen will black out every hour to hour and a half?

And I'd be in for a DIY kit for the 39 inch.

Has anyone solved the issue where on the 39" at 1080p 120hz, the screen will black out every hour to hour and a half?

I think most are not having this problem. I don't either. Could be your video card and/or cable. What video card are you using?

I had this problem.

I partially solved it by dropping my 3840 * 2160 frame rate to 29fps. My 1920 * 1080 would still randomly black out every hour or so for a few seconds.

Since switching from Nvidia to Catalyst (Yay for R9 290x) I haven't had any blackouts! And there are no 'tweaks' with my Catalyst drivers, they just seem to work. I know that isn't an answer, but it's all I have to offer.

I had this problem.

I partially solved it by dropping my 3840 * 2160 frame rate to 29fps. My 1920 * 1080 would still randomly black out every hour or so for a few seconds.

Since switching from Nvidia to Catalyst (Yay for R9 290x) I haven't had any blackouts! And there are no 'tweaks' with my Catalyst drivers, they just seem to work. I know that isn't an answer, but it's all I have to offer.

Changing your 3840x2160 settings should not effect your blackouts @ 1080p at all...

What nvidia card were you using that you came from? I know the only nvidia cards that are actually spec'd for 4k/1080p@120hz are the Kepler architecture (mostly higher end gt 600 series and a few of the lower end ones).

After 2 days of pixelfckng i have preliminary results from Spyder4express calibration of a Seiki 39".
J72oqjz.jpg

I am tired of trial and error, so braver souls could improve my results and remove the overcast greens and undercut-ed reds, but 99% of sRGB is definitevely something to write home for a $500 display with a $80 colorimeter. Considering that i am partially color blind:p

For the record, a factory reset showed that out of the box the "normal" color temp achieves 96% of sRGB, with much loss from reds and too much green and blue.

A strange behavior spyder4express increased the minimum brightness necessary to pass black level tests in lagom, The TV has best contrast around brightness 59 so i lost some raw contrast.
the test that showed greatest improvement over manual calibration was white levels, now the last white level- 254 appears over a much greater range of contrast and brightness settings.

I am running at:
Backlight 100
Contrast 43
Brightness 70
Color mode normal
gain red 134
gain green 113
gain blue 123
offset red 569
offset green 471
offset blue 451

There is probably another program or a hack that would allow me to see the white point temperature of this calibration or the raw contrast ratio, but the software included on the spyder4express just informs the color space coverage: 99% sRGB, 70% NTSC, 76% adobe RGB.

I still have no idea how calibrating this tv works, even when people flatout tell me what values to use, it seems like theres some overlapping settings between the modes, hdmi# input, secret menu and user menu's, and they aren't consistent between the different menus.. :/

seems like when i get the color to look decent in 1080p120hz, it suddenly looks all oversaturated in 4k30hz, then when i get it to look right in 4k, it looks very washed out in 120hz..

Yeah the 4k30 and 1080p120 modes uses a different foundation of colors or modes. So we got no choice but to calib for one or the other, trying to get the midway seems very difficult.

Yeah the 4k30 and 1080p120 modes uses a different foundation of colors or modes. So we got no choice but to calib for one or the other, trying to get the midway seems very difficult.

actually you may opt for using an HDMI port for 4k 30hz and another for 1080p120Hz. remember to use different names on control panel or CRU so you can choose correctly when changing resolutions and calibrating.

as a side note, my calibration works OK only when windows applys the ICM color profile that the software created. out of the box my settings would look horrible, except for white point that is very close to perfect as the graph shows.

using quickGamma to read the ICM, i found:
red 1.19
green 1.57
blue 1.23

that should be enough for people using an NVIDIA card and direct HDMI connection, otherwise point me to a file sharing site that you feel confident to use and i will upload my ICM there.

I think most are not having this problem. I don't either. Could be your video card and/or cable. What video card are you using?

Really? It seems like I've seen a number of people in different forums that have it. I assumed it was something to do with a combination of the firmware and 120hz settings, but mine appear to be what everyone else is using.

I'm going to try the modded firmware out to see if that helps.

I am using a hd6850, then the active display port to HDMI adapter and the seiki HDMI cable.

Ahh Geoking, I hadnt thought of that. To use 2 seperate hdmi inputs so TV keeps each colour settings hehe. Although it would be annoying to reach for the remote control each time, it is still somewhat of a solution for now.

Really? It seems like I've seen a number of people in different forums that have it. I assumed it was something to do with a combination of the firmware and 120hz settings, but mine appear to be what everyone else is using.

I'm going to try the modded firmware out to see if that helps.

I am using a hd6850, then the active display port to HDMI adapter and the seiki HDMI cable.

My screen black out in both 3840x2160@24Hz and 1600x900@120Hz mode.
It seems that screen black out more frequently in 3840x2160@24Hz mode after playing game in 1600x900@120Hz.

I'm using 39" with firmware of 50".
And I'm using laptop PC(Clevo w110er) which have Intel HD 4000 and Geforce650M(optimus).
If this problem doen't happan in newer GPU like Geforce7xx or 6xx, buying it is the proper solution.
I googled how to disable Intel GPU, but I found that it is hard wired to display output and output from Nvidia GPU is always sent to display through Intel GPU.

I found that when I play UnrealTournament99 in 3840x2160@24Hz mode, activating Nvidia GPU makes more input lag than activating Intel GPU.
I think that is because color buffer is copied from VRAM in Geforce to main memory and Intel GPU output it.

Furthermore Optimus disables some functions of Nvidia GPU(lightboost, 3DTV, etc), I will avoid optimus when I buy new laptop.

Last edited:
Ok. I know I'm going to get some flame, and I know the hardware is different.. But I'm dying for some frame smoothing on the Seiki 4k.

So has anyone been brave/stupid enough to try the se55uy04 firmware on the 39"/50". Or anyone that's been hacking the firmwares seen if they can enable "memc" for those sets?.

It isn't uncommon for companies to have hardware in TVs but just disable it, especially when you consider they couldn't get 120hz to work on the 39" yet the community simply flashed to 50" to fix it.

If someone can try to enable MEMC by firmware hacking and get it working I'd love you. :)

Ok. I know I'm going to get some flame, and I know the hardware is different.. But I'm dying for some frame smoothing on the Seiki 4k.

So has anyone been brave/stupid enough to try the se55uy04 firmware on the 39"/50". Or anyone that's been hacking the firmwares seen if they can enable "memc" for those sets?.

It isn't uncommon for companies to have hardware in TVs but just disable it, especially when you consider they couldn't get 120hz to work on the 39" yet the community simply flashed to 50" to fix it.

If someone can try to enable MEMC by firmware hacking and get it working I'd love you. :)

Totally not gonna happen.

First there is not a dump of the 55 inch firmware available as seiki has not released an update and I don't know of anyone who has provided a dump.

Two. The 55 inch is a *completely* different type of panel. Like not only is it a different brand (39/50 inch is chimei optometrics and the 55 inch is AU Optimetrics) but the 39/50 inch one are 4 channel LVDS where as the 55 inch is a 16 lane v-by-one. Completely different technology.

Even if a flash was available I would not risk it. I just see no way at all possible that it could work.

Ok, knowing that its different panel hardware, the video processors and stuff could still be the same tight? Motion enhancement isn't done on the panels, so I'm not totally giving up on the idea if someone has a way to create a custom firmware mod for the 50" .

Is there a way for a 55" owner to export their firmware?

So, enjoying my 39", but the windows resizing and moving to the corner of the monitor whne the monitor is turned off is falling into the classification of SUCKS. Is buying an HDMI detective the only solution to this???

I found a thread where folks made a registry adjustment to help:
http:///Nbwo5T

But, it seems like it only keeps the windows from resizing, not from moving to the corner...must...find...fix....

Ok, knowing that its different panel hardware, the video processors and stuff could still be the same tight? Motion enhancement isn't done on the panels, so I'm not totally giving up on the idea if someone has a way to create a custom firmware mod for the 50" .

Is there a way for a 55" owner to export their firmware?
Prior to returning the 55 inch model I tried getting the 50 inch version's firmware to flash but it wouldn't budge at all.

And just by comparing the menus you can tell that they are definitely different. They have a very similar skin but even that isn't the same when comparing the two.

UPGRADE OF 39" and 50" SEIKI TO 4K@60
Hi guys
I have a good message for you. It looks like we will be able to provide "4K@60Hz upgrade" for both 39" and 50" Seikis.
The upgrade should consist of:
- new Tcon board (to be replaced in the display itself)
- input board (1 x DP 1.2 input, no other video inputs)
- necessary cables
- new metalwork which matches connectors present on input board (DP, USB)

This MEANS you will not be able to use Seiki's proprietary board with all its input connectors etc, because it will be physically removed from the TV due to upgrade.

Endpoint:
- true 4K@60Hz via 1 x DP 1.2
- significant reduction in input lag!!!
- you will still get audio coming via DP 1.2 on Seiki's speakers (our board will have audio out connector)
- USB hub to connect keyboard/mouse or other devices
- you will be able to use Seiki's remote control to power on/off the TV
- you will be able to use Seiki's buttons on the side of the TV
- the functionality of Seiki's blue LED should stay the same
- the IR controller commands can be forwarded by USB to your operating system

NOW, a few questions on you:
1. Do you still need any HDMI 1.4 input which is capable only 4K@30Hz? (There are no HDMI 2.0 chips yet available.)
2. Would you go for this solution, even knowing you will loose your Seiki's board with all its inputs (TV, tuner, coaxial, 3 x HDMI 1.4, VGA etc.)?
3. Any other "MUST HAVE" or "NICE TO HAVE" features I have not mentioned?
Sinuhet

Last edited:
Will you be working on the SE55UY04? 55 inch 4k?
Well we know pretty much what is inside for panel, but so far nobody looked really inside... Further we are based in Europe, so we can not buy it from sears in the USA in the moment (unless someone will help us and buy it for us after we send him/her the money!). Would you mind to open it and look inside? I was the first one who did this in summer last time by 50" seiki and the community has benefit from it. I could then tell you very quickly if the upgrade is easy or not (I assume it should be easy because it is Vx1 panel, but what we do not know what motherboard with Vx1 interface is inside...)

Hi guys
I have a good message for you. It looks like we will be able to provide "4K@60Hz upgrade" for both 39" and 50" Seikis.
- necessary cables

This MEANS you will not be able to use Seiki's proprietary board with all its input connectors etc, because it will be physically removed from the TV due to upgrade.

Endpoint:
- you will still get audio coming via DP 1.2 on Seiki's speakers (our board will have audio out connector)

1. Do you still need any HDMI 1.4 input which is capable only 4K@30Hz? (There are no HDMI 2.0 chips yet available.)
2. Would you go for this solution, even knowing you will loose your Seiki's board with all its inputs (TV, tuner, coaxial, 3 x HDMI 1.4, VGA etc.)?
Sinuhet

1. It would be nice because I have a wii u sitting next to my desk, but I have other displays.
2. I would.

Question, will we still be able to use 1080p @ 120Hz over DP?

I would need at least one HDMI 1.4 (or better) connection in addition to the DP1.2 for me to order the kit.

Also I can help purchase it for you guys! I don't mind!

Dear gonhunter that would be really helpful. First please take some pics of inside the 55" Seiki. If possible do an overview image such as I did by 50" here

If you then have a time and know what you are doing, then if you could take a high resolution image of the:
- T-con
- motherboard
- power supply unit
I did something similar by 50" Seiki here

I thank you very much
Sinuhet

P.S. To teardown the seiki is pretty easy. Takes about 20 min max. You have to start with stand first and then the case. The best is to put it on the bed to protect the screen.

Hi guys
- necessary cables

Endpoint:

3. Any other "MUST HAVE" or "NICE TO HAVE" features I have not mentioned?
Sinuhet

DP is all I need, mine is a dedicated monitor as I am sure most here are.

For anyone needing HDMI, why not just get one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Startech-DP2HDMI-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter/dp/B0017K6BDW

Back