Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

Even if Seiki would start producing some kind of HDMI 2.0 kit where will you get a source of 4K@60 from HDMI 2.0 output??? The first company starting producing a proper HDMI 2.0 chip is Silicone Image announcing it a month ago...
The "HDMI 2.0 solution" in the last Sony and Panasonic TVs is a fake basically applying HDMI 2.0 specification on a chip with HDMI 1.4 bandwidth: basically they are sending 4K@60hz but with color degradation/subsampling of 4:2:0.

i am not so sure about future HDMi 2.0 chips allowing pure RGB or 4:4:4 in 10bits or above, because the HDMI spec does NOT include these modes, Under HDMi 2.0, if you want RGB or 4:4:4: you are by spec definition limited at 8bits color modes. That has been the subject of articles. The sony link you provided actually states4k60Hz 4:2:0 8 bits, which, while not fully complaint with HDMI 2.0. is at least a mode unavailable for HDMI 1.4b users.

Last edited:
I dont give a flying fuck about HDMI 2.0, display port is better.

Ditch the idea of HDMI 2.0, bring out whatever components you need to make this monitor 4k@60hz via displayport and I will buy it for $300

I don't think i'd pay for new internal hardware on this TV unless it allowed 4k120hz via DP 1.3. :3

When it gets down to it, if i could choose between 4k60hz and 1080p120hz for gaming, i'd choose 120hz every time because it has less input lag and arguably "looks" better when things are moving, i also think 4k 30hz is plenty enough for watching videos (assuming we can get proper 24hz cadence working correctly). That's not to say 4k60hz is useless, i'm sure it would be very useful for those of you using this for desktop workspace. :3

I wouldn't be paying $300 for an add-on board to get 60Hz at full rez. The Seiki is just too twitchy as is to warrant pouring more money into that particular hole. :)

I wouldn't be paying $300 for an add-on board to get 60Hz at full rez. The Seiki is just too twitchy as is to warrant pouring more money into that particular hole. :)

You are probably right, but as the market asks $3k for 4K 60hz, a DiY kit for the Seiki is only natural.

I think a $300 kit for a 4k60hz desktop is an excellent idea. I would still be running my games at 120hz 1080p, but now the 4k just became alot more usable than just viewing still photos or browsing static websites.

The installing maybe a fun factor for some people, trouble for others, so its a mixed bag. In any case, a proven $300 kit for this monitor is a done deal for at least 30% of the people :) ...and that includes myself hehe.

I know after exactly 1 year from now, i will have a new monitor with hdmi 2.0 pumping 4k60, and possible 120hz as well. But until then, i think this will be a good patch up.

I buy an add-on board, and I don't even have the display. I've been wanting to go 4K for gaming for a while, but I just can stomach throwing down $2281.58 (current price at provantage) for a 31.5" display. Especially when I could buy 3 of the 39"rs with that nifty $300 add-on for about the same price. Which I might do actually, as that's the only real upgrade path I have.

i am not so sure about future HDMi 2.0 chips allowing pure RGB or 4:4:4 in 10bits or above, because the HDMI spec does NOT include these modes, Under HDMi 2.0, if you want RGB or 4:4:4: you are by spec definition limited at 8bits color modes. That has been the subject of articles. The sony link you provided actually states4k60Hz 4:2:0 8 bits, which, while not fully complaint with HDMI 2.0. is at least a mode unavailable for HDMI 1.4b users.

I personally prefer DP 1.2 over any HDMI as well... And I agree HDMI 2.0 is not so great at all (still compare to even DP 1.2).

I don't think i'd pay for new internal hardware on this TV unless it allowed 4k120hz via DP 1.3. :3

When it gets down to it, if i could choose between 4k60hz and 1080p120hz for gaming, i'd choose 120hz every time because it has less input lag and arguably "looks" better when things are moving, i also think 4k 30hz is plenty enough for watching videos (assuming we can get proper 24hz cadence working correctly). That's not to say 4k60hz is useless, i'm sure it would be very useful for those of you using this for desktop workspace. :3

DP 1.3? OK, and where do you get the video signal from? Do you have a graphic card capable of DP 1.3 output?

You are probably right, but as the market asks $3k for 4K 60hz, a DiY kit for the Seiki is only natural.

AND the market asks $3k for 4K@60hz using HDMI 1.4 chips internally. In other words bandwidth stays the same in price of color degradation (color subsampling). The same trick as Sony did with its "HDMI 2.0 upgrade" you could do with Seiki as well, however you would need:
1. Another T-con
2. New firmware on the motherboard who would support HDMI 2.0

OK Guys
I thank you for all your answers regarding the 300 USD upgrade board. We will now concentrate on finishing the project. If any further questions/wishes feel free to post them or send or via a PM on this forum.
Have a nice day
Sinuhet

DP 1.3? OK, and where do you get the video signal from? Do you have a graphic card capable of DP 1.3 output?

Nope, but i hope to have one within a few years, whenever AMD/Nvidia decides to add the spec to their cards.

I know the chips/boards for DP1.3 don't exist yet and wont for quite a while, i just think it'd be pretty awesome to have if/when the tech is available. (until then i can get by with 1080p120hz on my 7870. :3 )

And yeah, i know this is probably too much to ever hope for with this TV, getting something 4k120hz would probably require purchasing a new TV/Monitor.

OK Guys
I thank you for all your answers regarding the 300 USD upgrade board. We will now concentrate on finishing the project. If any further questions/wishes feel free to post them or send or via a PM on this forum.
Have a nice day
Sinuhet

I'd also be up for an upgrade to the Seiki as well. Once you calculate your BOM/FOB costs and initial production run minimums, you could consider a kickstarter campaign to get the $$$ in place.

OK Guys
Have a nice day
Sinuhet

Yes and it looks like you guys will have a monopoly on 39" 4k60hz if you get it going. I asked JJ over at Asus what is going on with their 39" version and it looks like they are not going to make a commercial version for sale :mad: That one they showed at 2013 CES was a tease and nothing more!

Count me in on the 300$ kit too. Modification is no problem for me and if you can get this beast to run @60hz that would be insane!

I know that beggars cannot be choosers.....BUT. If there ever is a way for you guys to put out a TCON that can push 4k 120hz...well then I am scared to think what I would actually do for that lol.

Hello good sirs,

I just purchased Seiki SE50UY04 and I am having issues. I hope one of you will be kind enough to assist me. Currently, I am using it as a monitor. I'm running HDMI out of my 780GTX into HDMI2 on my TV. While 4k works perfectly at 30hz, when I switch to 1080p using Nvidia control panel, everything looks alaised and jagged. The screen position is also off. The other problem is, I only get 60hz at 1080p. I've tried updating firmware, and I've tried setting a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel, no luck. I've read the forums and some of you are using a DP to HDMI adapter. As I understand, it allows for a higher transfer rate? Will this solve my issues? I am not very HDTV savvy. Please help me out and forgive my idiocy and ignorance.

If maybe one of you could provide some kind of step by step guide, I will purchase you a bottle of Teriyaki sauce and have it shipped to your address.

May you be blessed by the sauce,
Teriyaki

Last edited:
It looks like ur getting a scaled image at 1080p, hence the jaggy and aliased look. You need to make sure of the following 2 things: No over scan (both via TV or video drivers), and sharpness set to zero within TV settings.

Not sure about the custom res part, i added a 1920x1080 120hz custom setting and is working fine, but i have the 39" seiki with the 50" firmware, so things may not be the same.

It looks like ur getting a scaled image at 1080p, hence the jaggy and aliased look. You need to make sure of the following 2 things: No over scan (both via TV or video drivers), and sharpness set to zero within TV settings.

Not sure about the custom res part, i added a 1920x1080 120hz custom setting and is working fine, but i have the 39" seiki with the 50" firmware, so things may not be the same.

When scaling is active sharpness doesn't do anything on both the 50 and 39 inch. On the 39 inch; however, scaling is better (IMHO) because its just doing simple pixel doubling.

Guys, I just picked up the 55" that Sears has on sale.
Now the search for the video card.
I'm starting to read this thread, but with 62 pages, it will take a while.

What reasonable video card are you guys using for Win7 64 for non-gaming work?
I'm not looking to spend $300-$600 on a video card.
All I do all day long is basic programming, little 2D AutoCAD (plan review), and usual Outlook, Chrome.
I'm not looking for anything super powerful; just this one display at standard 30Hz, 4K display.

I was thinking of picking up this rather basic XFX R7-260X-CNF4
TIA,
Mario

All I do all day long is basic programming, little 2D AutoCAD (plan review), and usual Outlook, Chrome.
I'm not looking for anything super powerful; just this one display at standard 30Hz, 4K display.

TIA,
Mario

You can get a 7 series Nvidia card for under $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028

May I ask what timeframe you guys are thinking for the 60 Hz upgrade? 1 month, 6 months or wahtever?

I won't be doing any gaming on this screen but the input lag is killing me to the point I'm considering ditching it. Will the $300 upgrade get rid of the input lag at 4k? If so I'm in.

TIA,
Mario

Radeon 7750 will push the TV at 4K for normal use. It's less than $100 at amazon.

I used the 1GB version of the Saphire low-profile card. Was quite pleased with it.

OK Guys
Have a nice day
Sinuhet

Would this be for the 50" only, or will it work with the 39"?

I'd be down for 2 for 39'rs, but just 1 if 50's only.

I buy an add-on board, and I don't even have the display. I've been wanting to go 4K for gaming for a while, but I just can stomach throwing down $2281.58 (current price at provantage) for a 31.5" display. Especially when I could buy 3 of the 39"rs with that nifty $300 add-on for about the same price. Which I might do actually, as that's the only real upgrade path I have.

You'd also have to spend about a grand for a GPU that could play games reasonably well at 4K.

I won't be doing any gaming on this screen but the input lag is killing me to the point I'm considering ditching it. Will the $300 upgrade get rid of the input lag at 4k? If so I'm in.

I'd be in on the Upgrade as well. Where do I sign up?

I don't mind the lag now that I've been using the monitor for 3 months. I went from a BenQ 2410 which has 120hz refresh so I was a little disappointed at first.

I only really experience issues when playing games, but then I cut down to 1080P @ 120hz anyways so no big issue really.

If I had have to use Autocad or Inventor I switch to 2560x1440 @ 72.

You'd also have to spend about a grand for a GPU that could play games reasonably well at 4K.

Meh. I've been running greater than 4K resolutions for ever. First starting with 5400x1920 and then 7680x1600 (or 4800x2560). 2x7970's gives me good enough performance for what I need.

it shouldn't really matter if the resolution is larger than that of a single display it would be even tougher to driver in game. The Seiki's are lower res that those that l88bastard quoted so they should get better fps.

I'm actually kinda surprised that 2 7970s are that capable, but then again without hard fps numbers it's all subjective.

How about to add desktop class GPU, CPU, memory, SSD, etc on the DIY kit?
You use it as computer inside display.
Output from GPU is directly transferred to panel without HDMI or Display port.
It might have very low latency between GPU and Panel.
And it doen't have restrictions come from HDMI or DP specifications.
3840x2160@120Hz may be possible with this board?.
But space inside the display might be too small to put powerfull computer with funs.
So you use display with custom cover or no cover.

Is this idea impossible or useless?

How about to add desktop class GPU, CPU, memory, SSD, etc on the DIY kit?
You use it as computer inside display.
Output from GPU is directly transferred to panel without HDMI or Display port.
It might have very low latency between GPU and Panel.
And it doen't have restrictions come from HDMI or DP specifications.
3840x2160@120Hz may be possible with this board?.
But space inside the display might be too small to put powerfull computer with funs.
So you use display with custom cover or no cover.

Is this idea impossible or useless?

Not impossible, but it would be extremely expensive.
Plus, it will probably use eDP or iDP, so you will still have restrictions.

it shouldn't really matter if the resolution is larger than that of a single display it would be even tougher to driver in game. The Seiki's are lower res that those that l88bastard quoted so they should get better fps.

I'm actually kinda surprised that 2 7970s are that capable, but then again without hard fps numbers it's all subjective.

Also depends on the game. In multiplayer shooters I always want 60 fps or better, so I tend to lower settings until I have that. In single player, It depends on the game again, but I'm usually okay around 45 fps or better.

Back