Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

Interesting, that panel is V by one instead of LVDS and its 16 lanes which I think is enough for 3840x2160 @60Hz. Maybe the issue is just with the the controller that takes TMDS and converts to v by one that is the issue.

Actually if I am reading that correctly ti looks like it can take 3840x2160 @ 120Hz if its 74.25 Mhz per lane (x16 1188 Mhz) and that appears to be how its being ran from page 14.

Only timings I see are on page 16 which shows the 'typical' refresh at 120Hz and a whopping 270 Khz horizontal. Combined totals seem to add up:

# field rate 120.00 Hz; hsync: 274.44 kHz; pclk: 1097.75 MHz
Modeline "3840x2160_120.00_rb" 1097.75 3840 3888 3920 4000 2160 2163 2168 2287 +HSync -Vsync

It looks like it doesn't support taking lower resolutions at all so it the scaling must be getting done by other hardware. This might be a better LCD if you could upgrade the internals. I would think this panel would be 60Hz capable with the correct internals for sure.
With the MEMC feature it definitely felt like 60hz+ @ 2160p with film sources. There's multiple levels of the MEMC feature and I wouldn't be surprised if it went up to 120Hz as the highest mode felt like my old 1080p TV set to 120Hz interpolation mode.

Unfortunately it only takes 30hz max as input which I'd guess is also the fault of the MEMC feature. As it's not programmed to handle anything higher. Probably the same reason why it can't do 120Hz @ 1080p either. Running oddball Hz combination (like 70Hz) lead to artifacting/frame skipping with MEMC enabled.

the 55''+ TVs must have "better" internals to be able to do that MEMC mode. Else the other Seiki 4K TVs would have it too.

does anybody want to take a guess about how many months do they think it will take before a new 39" Seiki model that runs 4k at 60 Hertz is available for $400 or less?

does anybody want to take a guess about how many months do they think it will take before a new 39" Seiki model that runs 4k at 60 Hertz is available for $400 or less?
God I wish, unfortunately it does not look like they have any 39"s in their next line up :mad:

If they did I would work overtime down at the local boulevard!

Yeah unfortunately they don't have any 39 inch planned with HDMI 2.0 support. Honestly I think its still going to be a while before we see a budget HDMI 2.0 TV that can be used as a monitor with good 60Hz support.

I ordered the dell 32 inch 4k display just to see if I can put it through its pases as I have seen nobody who has tried. Plan on returning it and just pay the restocking fee if I have to.

Yeah unfortunately they don't have any 39 inch planned with HDMI 2.0 support. Honestly I think its still going to be a while before we see a budget HDMI 2.0 TV that can be used as a monitor with good 60Hz support.

I ordered the dell 32 inch 4k display just to see if I can put it through its pases as I have seen nobody who has tried. Plan on returning it and just pay the restocking fee if I have to.

You could just ask me to test, I have the asus 4k 31.5" and have had it apart :p

You already have my email addr.

I unpacked the 50" firmware, and disassembled the main DvdPlayer process (a mipsel instruction set).

I found where it turns on the scaler at I think 549df0 or somewhere (I don't have the laptop I used on hand, but if you look for a load immediate 3840 near a 2160 in the disassembly, it is the first result). It is clearly checking if the resolution is less than 31.1 hz and exactly 3840x2160, and otherwise makes a call to a global routine which must activate the scaler. The value to modify to raise when the scaler turns on is a 3701 (little endian) there in a hex editor.

I modified the 311 value to 400 and repacked the firmware and loaded it onto both a 39" and 50". I can clock up to 38hz without the scaler turning on, but anything more than 31hz has stuttering with frame skipping. The scaler was definitely disabled at this point and tv said it was doing 38hz, but the stuttering didn't make it any better than 30hz, and the input lag is just as bad. I am guessing the processor just cannot handle higher refresh rates processing full resolution. Maybe if we can find whatever causes all the input lag, disabling that might let it run at higher hz without frame skipping.

I'll probably try getting more into the disassembly and finding string/global function references to find the input lag culprit (some kind of motion interpolation?), though that sounds tedious at best. I was really hoping finding the scaler control would do something useful, though personally I would rather solve the input lag issue than get higher hz.

I unpacked the 50" firmware, and disassembled the main DvdPlayer process (a mipsel instruction set).

I found where it turns on the scaler at I think 549df0 or somewhere (I don't have the laptop I used on hand, but if you look for a load immediate 3840 near a 2160 in the disassembly, it is the first result). It is clearly checking if the resolution is less than 31.1 hz and exactly 3840x2160, and otherwise makes a call to a global routine which must activate the scaler. The value to modify to raise when the scaler turns on is a 3701 (little endian) there in a hex editor.

I modified the 311 value to 400 and repacked the firmware and loaded it onto both a 39" and 50". I can clock up to 38hz without the scaler turning on, but anything more than 31hz has stuttering with frame skipping. The scaler was definitely disabled at this point and tv said it was doing 38hz, but the stuttering didn't make it any better than 30hz, and the input lag is just as bad. I am guessing the processor just cannot handle higher refresh rates processing full resolution. Maybe if we can find whatever causes all the input lag, disabling that might let it run at higher hz without frame skipping.

I'll probably try getting more into the disassembly and finding string/global function references to find the input lag culprit (some kind of motion interpolation?), though that sounds tedious at best. I was really hoping finding the scaler control would do something useful, though personally I would rather solve the input lag issue than get higher hz.

Take a look at the TCON firmware dump that I posted earlier in the thread.

Nice job and thanks. I have a feeling something weird in general is going on with this tv where it has a hard-coded output signal or something instead of converting the TMDS modeline to an LVDS signal based on what the original TMDS input was.

I believe this is why I see judder when I am giving it a 24 hz signal because its still sending a 30Hz signal to the panel or something. Seems to me iff it was sending 24Hz it would not come out so crappy.

I think I have maybe seen the behavior your talking about.. I have a 35Hz mode on my machine and on linux you can change resolutions/modelines with control alt +/- and the nvidia linux drivers can sometimes do it super fast... sometimes so fast especially going through them that I once had the 35Hz mode outputing when the TV still throught it was 30Hz and I swa major lag/frame dropage/tearing but no scaler BS.

Well I actually don't need more rez....I'd like a larger display but I want to keep the same or similar PPI.
A larger display but the same or similar PPI automatically leads to higher resolution (unless you want big black borders around the picture).

A larger display but the same or similar PPI automatically leads to higher resolution (unless you want big black borders around the picture).

In context my statement makes sense. I don't need higher PPI, I want a larger screen at the same PPI (which would obviously lead to higher rez).

In context my statement makes sense. I don't need higher PPI, I want a larger screen at the same PPI (which would obviously lead to higher rez).

Well you can always "rent" the Seiki from amazon and see if its something you can live with. That's what I did and its been the best monitor choice in a long, long time despite the 30hz. I got mine for $270 open box!

Last edited:
Well you can always "rent" the Seiki from amazon and see if its something you can live with. That's what I did and its been the best monitor choice in a long, long time despite the 30hz.

I have to agree with that advice. I bought the 39" last week at $399 with low expectations. I've been primarily using it at 1080p 120hz with the 50" firmware and have been surprisingly impressed. I'm definitely going to keep it.

Just for reference, these are my settings for 1080p/120hz with an Nvidia GTX 660
YMMV

Picture Mode - User
Contrast - 39
Brightness - 58
Sharpness - 0 (doesn't make any difference for me)
Color - 43
DCC - Off
Backlight - 40-60 depending on time of day
Color Mode - Warm
RG - 135
GG - 124
BG - 112
RO - 510
GO - 509
BO - 509

Last edited:
SSD rew or aonybody having 55" Seiki from Sears
Hi, is there any chance you open the rear part of this 55" seiki and make some images of the board, T-con etc? I did this here for seiki 50". It would be VERY HELPFUL! it takes some 20 minutes to assemble it back :)

I run mine at 1440p at 60 Hz. Hackintosh, 10.8.5, 650 Ti, and the patch below. Apparently the patch will not work in 10.9 currently, but that may be resolved with 10.9.2. I run 1440p because, for some reason, it absolutely crawls at 4k/30 Hz. I don't mean lag, but simple things like opening browser tabs takes longer. Works perfectly fine in Windows 7.
https://code.google.com/p/mac-pixel-clock-patch/wiki/Documentation

I flashed the 50 firmware onto my 39 to play with 120 Hz, but found that it caused a lot of blanking behavior. Has anyone else experienced this? It's completely resolved by loading the most recent 39 firmware.

The patch doesn't work on 10.9 because it isn't needed. The pixel clock limitation that the patch fixes doesn't exist in 10.9.

Also, if you are using Chrome when you see the slow tabs, it has an issue with it right now that we are trying to get the Chromium devs to fix. It seems to be the 30hz as the issue and not the resolution. If you drag the slow loading tab onto a secondary 60hz monitor it will instantly load.

Has anyone ordered through Amazon warehouse used? Got a good deal on a 'pristine' condition unit.

I got a used one from amazon warehouse deal for $390 a few weeks ago when they were still asking $600 for new ones, they advertised it as having 1-2 dead pixels but its got more than that, so I bitched an moaned an they gave me $120 back...which brought the cost down to $270. For that price I can live with the dead pixels seeing as how this display has 8,294,395 good pixels lol

Hehe, u know spotting the dead pixels on a 4k is also much harder than spotting the dead pixels on a, say a 24" 1080p panel. They are so tiny (also i sit back a lil too) that they dont bother me as much, i have 2 on mine, in the corners.

Anyways I88, u got a bargain for $270 mate ! :)

You know how much i paid for my panel? Im from aus, bought the unit when it was just released, at 699USD, by the time it made it to my house here in AUS, it cost me $1250 AUD lol. But guess what, Id do it again, cos this monitor is awesome!

I always wanted a large 120hz capable VA/ips panel, cos none of the 120hz TN panel could do justice, and the biggest one they could come up with was 27" in size, only recently Eizo released the 120hz VA panel PC monitor for $650.

On another, anyone got anymore info in release date of official 39" firmware? I hope it fixes the color consistency between different modes.

Wonderful. This is a good first step. I've read randomly through the entire thread, so I might be able to help you out a bit.

1. Input lag. Many posts here claimed that the lag is due to OS-specific settings. In OSX and Windows, Vsync is forced by the desktop window manager. When disabled (aka hacked off, because impossible to disable in registry or driver settings in Windows 8+ or possibly OSX 10.8 even w/pixel clock patch), the responsiveness was much higher.

I don't know about the *nix situation, but I have come across ways to disable vsync in Windows 8+ involving killing explorer, suspending winlogon, killing dwm.exe, and reloading explorer. All metro interfaces (including network management, toasters, and start screen) will be completely killed until reboot (or until winlogon is restarted). However, "reduction" in lag is only relative to the absurd amount currently. If this isn't enough, read on.

2. Frequency cap. My own experiments with 31FPS showed that the display is still outputting at 30fps, skipping the 31st in the cycle every time. Similarly, outputting at 24Hz caused the display to run at 30fps but insert 6 frames into the cycle (this is easy to verify simply by running a FILM video at 24fps and noticing the ridiculous judder during pans). I don't know if 31fps was ever tested with multitool, because I'm highly skeptical of those who claim it is outputting 31 frames in a cycle -- all evidence indicates the cycle is locked to 30fps, come hell or high water. I've tested it myself and found this the case with my system.

And this may be why.
I was experimenting a little bit with the 50" Seiki UHD TV... the RTD2975 in UHD mode is outputting a 120hz FHD image, which is pasted by the Tcon to specific quadrant of the screen, it goes in sequence of LT, RT, LB, RB quadrant.

Does anybody know, why CMI is not mentioning that in their datasheet and their UHD timing table is therefore totally off? Not to mention the secret i2c communication, to switch between FHD and UHD mode.

Perhaps the next logical course of action would then be to raise the RTD2975's 120Hz limit and, proportionately, the rate at which the TCON pastes the quadrants to the screen. Additionally, any increase in framerate under the vsync paradigm will result in a proportional reduction in input latency (Vsync in W8 dwm adds at least 1/[framerate] in latency, not counting buffer flipping vs partial rendering of current framebuffer).

Side notes:
- This also explains why 1440p on these panels is an ugly lie -- the image is scaled down to the maximum the RTD2975 actually supports in non-quadrant mode (1080p), then rendered with whatever upscaling method the pipeline uses (pixel doubling, or crude 2xSAI in native 39" FW...).
- Input lag for the monitor in UHD mode is still a bit higher than 30fps in 1080p (panel scaling). Perhaps this is because the panel introduces another 1/30s of lag while all 4 quadrants are drawn before displaying their contents, introducing yet another 33.3ms of latency on top of the 33.3ms x [1 or 2 VSync frames] + 6-40ms panel response time). Effectively, the UHD image is thus subject two layers of vsync, one at the input stage (frame buffer) and one at the output stage (TCON quadrant buffer)!

Last edited:
Hehe, u know spotting the dead pixels on a 4k is also much harder than spotting the dead pixels on a, say a 24" 1080p panel. They are so tiny (also i sit back a lil too) that they dont bother me as much, i have 2 on mine, in the corners.

Anyways I88, u got a bargain for $270 mate ! :)

You know how much i paid for my panel? Im from aus, bought the unit when it was just released, at 699USD, by the time it made it to my house here in AUS, it cost me $1250 AUD lol. But guess what, Id do it again, cos this monitor is awesome!

I always wanted a large 120hz capable VA/ips panel, cos none of the 120hz TN panel could do justice, and the biggest one they could come up with was 27" in size, only recently Eizo released the 120hz VA panel PC monitor for $650.

On another, anyone got anymore info in release date of official 39" firmware? I hope it fixes the color consistency between different modes.

I had the Eizo 120hz VA and it was pretty cool, but not versatile enough for my needs. Unfortunately you guys down under always get hosed on prices, but at least you have the consolation of living down under ;)

I love the colors on this Seiki, and the 1080p 120hz mode is the absolute best for playing old skool games like HaloCE. Plus 39" 4k is really, really nice for work productivity and multiple window web surfing. Its a display that I will keep in my collection for a long time.

The patch doesn't work on 10.9 because it isn't needed. The pixel clock limitation that the patch fixes doesn't exist in 10.9.

Also, if you are using Chrome when you see the slow tabs, it has an issue with it right now that we are trying to get the Chromium devs to fix. It seems to be the 30hz as the issue and not the resolution. If you drag the slow loading tab onto a secondary 60hz monitor it will instantly load.

It does if one is running an AMD based card.. DOH!

If you want to disable v-sync in windows 7 then just disable Aero, select a basic theme but then you get tearing when watching 4k videos like I did...

Hey Guys, I have read through most of this thread. I'm still having some issues with achieving 1080p 120hz though. I'm wondering if it is because of my hardware. I did upgrade my firmware to the 50" version. That definitely corrected my 3 monitor setup which was bouncing all my icons around when ever the Seiki was powered down. I'm very happy that issue was resolved. The best choice I get in windows is 1920 x 1080 @ 60 hz.
I have a evga gtx 660. (i7 quad/ 16 gb Ram) The seiki is connected through HDMI out on the card to HDMI 1 on the Seiki. I have the other 2 monitors connected through DVI-D and DVI-I with the Display port not used on the 660. I'm wondering if I need to connect through the Display Port with an adapter DP to HDMI? I tried the CRU and only saw 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz and 1440x900 @ 59.887 in Detailed resolutions. Wasn't sure how to tweak that so didn't go any further.

Thanks for all the work so so many of you have done helping people get their monitors just right. Hopefully I can achieve the 120 hz @ 1080 p.

Hey Guys, I have read through most of this thread. I'm still having some issues with achieving 1080p 120hz though. I'm wondering if it is because of my hardware. I did upgrade my firmware to the 50" version. That definitely corrected my 3 monitor setup which was bouncing all my icons around when ever the Seiki was powered down. I'm very happy that issue was resolved. The best choice I get in windows is 1920 x 1080 @ 60 hz.
I have a evga gtx 660. (i7 quad/ 16 gb Ram) The seiki is connected through HDMI out on the card to HDMI 1 on the Seiki. I have the other 2 monitors connected through DVI-D and DVI-I with the Display port not used on the 660. I'm wondering if I need to connect through the Display Port with an adapter DP to HDMI? I tried the CRU and only saw 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz and 1440x900 @ 59.887 in Detailed resolutions. Wasn't sure how to tweak that so didn't go any further.

Thanks for all the work so so many of you have done helping people get their monitors just right. Hopefully I can achieve the 120 hz @ 1080 p.

CRU you will need to add the custom resolution.

But, I think the NVidia control panel has a custom resolution setting so you would not even need to use CRU.

try installing this monitor driver for the seiki display in the device manager:

http://box.houkouonchi.jp/seiki_custom_edid_120_240hz.inf

It should have a 120Hz 1080p mode in it.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I tried the Nvidia control panel, and it seemed to let me customize a 1920x1080p 120Hz choice. I hit "test" and it said it passed, but when I came out of the program it still read 60 Hz. Also, when looking at a game in that reso, it looked pretty bad.

houkouonchi - thank you for that driver, how do i put it to use? Do I copy and paste that to a text file and than use update driver software in device manager and point it to that file?
thanks for the help!

Thanks for the replies guys!

I tried the Nvidia control panel, and it seemed to let me customize a 1920x1080p 120Hz choice. I hit "test" and it said it passed, but when I came out of the program it still read 60 Hz. Also, when looking at a game in that reso, it looked pretty bad.

houkouonchi - thank you for that driver, how do i put it to use? Do I copy and paste that to a text file and than use update driver software in device manager and point it to that file?
thanks for the help!

yes.. just right click and chose 'save as' and save anywhere and from device manager you point it to that file when updating driver for the monitor.

If you got the custom resolution added where form windows you can do 120Hz and the monitor is also saying 120Hz it might be just a matter of something else to get the game running at the right refresh rate.

Update:

Hey Houko, I copied and pasted your file to a text document and then pointed "update device driver" in device mgr to it. I kept getting the message that the best driver for the device was already in. So I removed the Nvidia drivers and all traces of Nvidia video stuff. Now the "vga" default was in, and when I pointed to it again, it gave me the same message....strange. I rebooted windows and put in the default Nvidia drivers from windows (thought that was a bad idea at first actually) and when I went into the Nvidia control panel I was able to customize a 1080p 120Hz resolution. The Seiki was actually reporting that resolution in the top right of the screen. I was really excited as you can imagine. I rebooted the system, and this is where everything went nuts. All 3 monitors stayed black, with the Seiki occasionally blinking the "1920x1080 120Hz" message at the top right. But it stayed black besides that and the 24" Dell to the left and the 20" Samsung to the right of it were black as well, with the Dell having a little strange blurred icon in the middle of the screen that I couldn't make out. (it was like 1 inch by 1inch) After a reboot and nothing changed, i went into safe mode and did a system restore to yesterday morning and I'm back working in the state I was yesterday. I only have a choice of 1920 x 1080 60Hz. I wonder why the whole thing locked up on that when I finally achieved the 120 Hz? Thanks again for your help!

Update:

Hey Houko, I copied and pasted your file to a text document and then pointed "update device driver" in device mgr to it. I kept getting the message that the best driver for the device was already in. So I removed the Nvidia drivers and all traces of Nvidia video stuff. Now the "vga" default was in, and when I pointed to it again, it gave me the same message....strange. I rebooted windows and put in the default Nvidia drivers from windows (thought that was a bad idea at first actually) and when I went into the Nvidia control panel I was able to customize a 1080p 120Hz resolution. The Seiki was actually reporting that resolution in the top right of the screen. I was really excited as you can imagine. I rebooted the system, and this is where everything went nuts. All 3 monitors stayed black, with the Seiki occasionally blinking the "1920x1080 120Hz" message at the top right. But it stayed black besides that and the 24" Dell to the left and the 20" Samsung to the right of it were black as well, with the Dell having a little strange blurred icon in the middle of the screen that I couldn't make out. (it was like 1 inch by 1inch) After a reboot and nothing changed, i went into safe mode and did a system restore to yesterday morning and I'm back working in the state I was yesterday. I only have a choice of 1920 x 1080 60Hz. I wonder why the whole thing locked up on that when I finally achieved the 120 Hz? Thanks again for your help!
Did you try to update monitor drivers or graphics card drivers?
Don't touch nVidia drivers. Go to control panel -> display-> display resolution -> Advanced settings-> display-> Properties -> driver -> update driver -> select the modified monitor .inf -file.
(general idea, I use non-english operating system so I don't recall correct path names).

Last edited:
Update:

Like Demu says it sounds like you're trying to update your video card driver instead of your monitor driver.

Your Seiki should show in Device Mangler as Generic PnP Montor. That's what you want to update using the .inf file

Awesome! Thanks guys, that's exactly what I did. I misread Houko's message as the video drivers. When I get home I will try that and get the video drivers in correctly.

Thanks for the heads up on that issue. Firefox works well enough when Chrome on a second display doesn't cut it.

On the Mac front, I still find myself using 1440p, despite the disadvantages, because the OS has terrible UI scaling features. After some searching I found a terminal command to enable HiDPI modes, which is essentially a flat 2.0 UI scale, but it doesn't work for some applications, leaving text looking worse in 1080p HiDPI than in 1440p. At 2160p, the UI is so small as to be practically unusable. Has anyone found a practical solution?

On another matter, I've found that the display will emit an audible buzz when a) looking at darker websites/images on a scaled resolution and b) when dimming the backlight at all. Does anyone's 39 not do this? I'm in the return window still and would consider swapping it to be able to properly calibrate the color without the buzz, despite having good luck on this panel with pixels and BLB.

Alright! I got Houko's Seiki Monitor drivers in! Thanks for clearing up my issue on that earlier. I went into Nvidia and struggled for a bit, but finally got the custom resolution to take on 1920x1080 120Hz. Things definitely look better. I'm afraid to reboot, as last time I got this far everything went haywire. I'm going to check a game and see how it looks, then I will try a reboot and hopefully return to a working 3 monitor situation.

Yeah mine buzzes too, though not on 4k mode...weird (except if u turn backlight to less than 100). But on 1080p120, it buzzes as u said, when its black background etc. And i have a fanless PC so i can really hear it sometimes hehe, but i overlook this cos the monitor is awesome for what i use it for.

I'm looking to connect this up to my t430s (HD4000 integrated graphics) laptop via displayport when connected to a dock (using this adapter: http://www.microcenter.com/product/422091/UltraAV_DisplayPort_11_to_HDMI_14_Active_Adapter).

People have indicated that they were able to use their HD4000 in their laptop to power this display at 4k @ 30hz with no problems. The dock indicates the display port supports 2560 x 1600 at 60hz. Is there a good way to figure out if this would work at 4k at 30hz? I'd love to make sure before buying.

Hey Guys, just wanted to report that I was able to get 1920x1080 120Hz going finally. It looks greats too, games and text. Thank you so much for the help!

Houko, thank you very much for your monitor driver!

Back