Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

How'd you get that resolution? I don't see it in sys prefs, and I can't get switchresx to install it.

I'm using the 50 firmware on the 39, no blanking.

I used switchresx, which was a nightmare to get to work. if saving a custom resolution doesn't prompt a reboot message or the custom resolutions don't say something like we tried to load but your monitor couldn't take it after reboot, then you may have to delete either the switchresx preferences file or the file that the custom resolution creates in somewhere like s/l/e/Displays/Overrides, with the most recently created/changed directory being what you created. i believe the files are hidden, so toggling hidden visibility is required. may also need to google those file locations, as I don't recall them exactly. but yeah, deleting the prefs and TV resolution override files can finagle it into working. there are a couple other threads on it elsewhere that can be found googling and were helpful.

Let my correct my tearing video discussion. I had aero disabled. Without aero you have tearing in video or even when moving around windows but the "lag" less and moving windows around you get a rather quick response. With Aero doublebuffering+vsync is done by windows that means no tearing when playing back videos but a noticable lag when quickly moving around windows, its smooth as butter but its a little bit lagging behind.

Sorry if this is exhausting....
I was leaning towards this (I also prefer ATI)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687
Its a HD7770 with 1Gb of ddr5 for $79 after rebate...

Question is about amount of vram...the 7770 is a much faster card than the gt630, and does cost a little more, but the gt630 has 2gb

Which would you pick for the Seiki? Is 2gb a must fir 4k? Do we know which card would perform better at 4k?

HD7770 FTW.

We have ZERO information about 4k video requirements. Presume that any integrated video capable of decent 3d bluray reproduction is also capable of decent 4k reproduction at 30Hz. The roasted duck video has a bitrate of 60Mbps, so be prepared for major requirements on storage reading speed. a dedicated defragmented harddrive is the bare minimum, but using an SSD or RAID0 HDD is a more stable solution. Unlike 1080p video, i don't see high quality 4k being played from cheap USB sticks in the near future, if the video samples told us the truth, there is a massive loss of details when choosing lower bitrates for 4k video.

Sorry if this is exhausting....
I was leaning towards this (I also prefer ATI)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687
Its a HD7770 with 1Gb of ddr5 for $79 after rebate...

Question is about amount of vram...the 7770 is a much faster card than the gt630, and does cost a little more, but the gt630 has 2gb

Which would you pick for the Seiki? Is 2gb a must fir 4k? Do we know which card would perform better at 4k?

The 7750 will run the 39, 50, or the 55" just fine so the 7770 should be fine as well.

I know this from personal experience purchasing a Gigabyte 7750 to push the 39" on my demo machine at work.

HD7770 FTW.

We have ZERO information about 4k video requirements. Presume that any integrated video capable of decent 3d bluray reproduction is also capable of decent 4k reproduction at 30Hz. The roasted duck video has a bitrate of 60Mbps, so be prepared for major requirements on storage reading speed. a dedicated defragmented harddrive is the bare minimum, but using an SSD or RAID0 HDD is a more stable solution. Unlike 1080p video, i don't see high quality 4k being played from cheap USB sticks in the near future, if the video samples told us the truth, there is a massive loss of details when choosing lower bitrates for 4k video.

Its only 60 megabits not 60 mebabytes/sec so HD is not the problem on that but a decent CPU or good GPU decoding...

I mainly went with nvidia for linux support and because I simply prefer nvidia cards for drivers on windows as well.

Let my correct my tearing video discussion. I had aero disabled. Without aero you have tearing in video or even when moving around windows but the "lag" less and moving windows around you get a rather quick response. With Aero doublebuffering+vsync is done by windows that means no tearing when playing back videos but a noticable lag when quickly moving around windows, its smooth as butter but its a little bit lagging behind.

Sorry to hear you're seeing that. That'd get real annoying, real quick to me :(

I don't see it, personally.

Is your personal experience with 1gb 7750?

Yeah. Yeah, it is. Though I was mistaken when I said I got the Gigabyte...Turns out it was the Sapphire 100357LP Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card I got at Amazon for ~$80

Added Pic
81SG6tbgxsL._SX425_.jpg

Seiki VP finally got back to me. They said they are posting firmware updates shortly and he needs to confirm all the functionality first.

Crosses tits in very slim hope that the firmware update is going to allow HDMI 2.0! Did they give any indication of what the firmware update is going to do?

I don't think this will ever happen simply due to limitations of the TCON on the panel and its connections to said TCON.

Seiki VP finally got back to me. They said they are posting firmware updates shortly and he needs to confirm all the functionality first.

Well that's good news, thanks for sharing. I certainly hope that it is an indication that Seiki will continue to support us!

Although it sounds like hdmi 2.0 isn't possible, do we know any route that could ultimately get us to 60hz @4k? For example there was talk earlier in this thread about using dual inputs...could we make a hdmi 2.0 to dual input “y cable" to make these monitors support more? (Admitidly ignorant here- I'm a mechanical engineer!)

Geoking, 4k requirements are very low actually :)

60mpbs is nothing compared to today's flash drives that can do well over 500mpbs (thats roughly 50 megabytes per sec btw). So bitrate is not the issue. The main thing is hardware accelerated decoding, to offload the CPU work onto GPU, which is much more capable of such tasks due to hundreds of processors or pipes working in parallel. So good coding = hardware decoding.

To give u an example, my Galaxy note3 can playback 4k video (and record) using only 5watts of power, thanks to good coding hehe.

Long story short, video will always be very easy on the hardware, since it is not 'realtime'. Unlike a video game which is realtime (needs to instantly respond to your input), that will take alot of horsepower to game at 4k, like at least dual top end cards SLI, and consume over half a kilowatt of power while at it lol.

Wow, good to hear about Seiki getting their act together and porting the 50" firmware over to the 39", long overdue.

Well that's good news, thanks for sharing. I certainly hope that it is an indication that Seiki will continue to support us!

Although it sounds like hdmi 2.0 isn't possible, do we know any route that could ultimately get us to 60hz @4k? For example there was talk earlier in this thread about using dual inputs...could we make a hdmi 2.0 to dual input “y cable" to make these monitors support more? (Admitidly ignorant here- I'm a mechanical engineer!)

A computer sends out a digital signal via DVI/HDMI Via TMDS links. DVI is dual TMDS (transmisions minimized differential signaling) links (well dual-link DVI which most things have) where as HDMI is single link. There are electronics in the display that take this signal from the computer and then convert it to a signal that the actual panel understands (LVDS -- low voltage differential signaling).

The panel is only 4 channel LVDS which is only enough bandwidth for a bit over 30 Hz @ 4k although maybe with OC'ing if the scaler didn't activate you could do quite a bit better but I think 60hz is highly unlikely.

Hi everyone, I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with. I just bought the 55" Seiki 4k exclusive from sears. I've read that the 39" and the 50" can do 120hz natively from the right video card. I have a good PC but I can't get the t.v to run 120hz. It only gets to 77hz. Also this T.V has MEMC (motion smoothing) and with it enabled the T.V has a lot of input lag but even worse is there's screen tearing and flickering constantly.
So my questions are: Did the 39" and 50" have these issues before they got a firmware update? Is it possible for this T.V to get updated through firmware to run 120hz natively? (why? why not? hardware?) Lastly, should I return this 55" and get the 50"?
I play video games a lot from my pc on this T.V so 120hz was something I was looking forward to. Besides that, 4k at 30hz looks really really good. 1080P at 60hz is not very impressive, the colors seem washed out and MEMC isn't working well on it.
Thanks for the help!

SDDrew, unfortunately the 55" version is not very good for PC use. As far as i know, it does not support 120hz input like the 39/50" versions. Also, the motion enhancing feature (frame prediction / interpolation) is only good for videos, not for PC use, as u said, it has alot of input lag. It is not intended to be used for 'real time' applications, ie, u cannot use it to increase your games' fps from 30 to 60fps etc, the in between processing requires time, hence the input lag.

However, if u dont game much, u will still enjoy the 4k30 it has to offer, very good for desktop real estate or viewing photos etc. You would have been better of with the 50" version if u intended on gaming too. I have the 39", and 120hz gaming is a blast! Compared to the crappy TN 120hz panels out there, we get the nice colors, the size, awesome contrast ratio and the ability to switch to 4k30 on demand for other tasks :)

However, if u dont game much, u will still enjoy the 4k30 it has to offer, very good for desktop real estate or viewing photos etc. You would have been better of with the 50" version if u intended on gaming too. I have the 39", and 120hz gaming is a blast! Compared to the crappy TN 120hz panels out there, we get the nice colors, the size, awesome contrast ratio and the ability to switch to 4k30 on demand for other tasks :)

My feelings exactly. I actually think the seiki is an awesome gaming monitor for those who want to run at 1080p and get 120Hz and then just use 4k for everything else.

Hi everyone, I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with. I just bought the 55" Seiki 4k exclusive from sears. I've read that the 39" and the 50" can do 120hz natively from the right video card. I have a good PC but I can't get the t.v to run 120hz. It only gets to 77hz. Also this T.V has MEMC (motion smoothing) and with it enabled the T.V has a lot of input lag but even worse is there's screen tearing and flickering constantly.
So my questions are: Did the 39" and 50" have these issues before they got a firmware update? Is it possible for this T.V to get updated through firmware to run 120hz natively? (why? why not? hardware?) Lastly, should I return this 55" and get the 50"?
I play video games a lot from my pc on this T.V so 120hz was something I was looking forward to. Besides that, 4k at 30hz looks really really good. 1080P at 60hz is not very impressive, the colors seem washed out and MEMC isn't working well on it.
Thanks for the help!

As the other guy said the 55 inch could not do 120Hz when I tested (locally in a sears) and has a lot higher input lag. I would higly suggest returning it and get the 50 inch model if you are still within the return period. The 50 inch is a lot better of a display IMHO. The only thing the 55 has over the 50 inch is MEMC for better 24Hz motion. The 50 inch is physically a lot smaller to boot, smaller bezel and like half as thick.

Yeah houkouonchi, I think this has been my best gaming and allrounder monitor so far. I have had monitors such as Dell 27", Samsung S27A950 (tn 120hz) and LG TV etc etc all in the past, and kept sort of switching between them, cos one was good at something but lacked in other department etc etc. For example, the Samsung S27A was awesome, but was only 23" and the colours and viewing angles bothered me after my Dell 27", which was a nice IPS 1440p display, but lacked the snappy input of the 120hz, then I had my LG led TV 42" for that sit back kind of gaming, which is nice to have, along with its nice colors and contrast. Then came my Seiki, like couple of months ago...it was good, i enjoyed it when it was first released with its 4k n all (but let down cos no 120hz day1), then BAMM, came the 50" firmware and took this monitor (rly its more of a monitor than a TV hehe) to all new heights! Now its an absolute blast, I love play Chivlary medival warfare on it, best gaming experience ever.

About storage reading speeds, the timescape site, that sells a 300GB 4k movie, recommends RAID arrays or SSDs. i will test the roasted duck movie with a low quality SD card and report later. the ideal test scenario would be a film bigger than available memory so we can actually see if the storage solution can really fill the buffer fast enough.

How is this thing for Gaming? Also how does it stack up against the Korean LG IPS panels?

I cannot compare it to the Korean panels but, as far as gaming goes, I've personally put over 500 hours of gaming on my Seiki 50 and Seiki 39, and I am very happy.

About storage reading speeds, the timescape site, that sells a 300GB 4k movie, recommends RAID arrays or SSDs. i will test the roasted duck movie with a low quality SD card and report later. the ideal test scenario would be a film bigger than available memory so we can actually see if the storage solution can really fill the buffer fast enough.

its soo stupid that they force you to pay for it on a HD instead offering a download of it instead. That is the one reason I did not buy that. I was seroiusly considering it...

How is this thing for Gaming? Also how does it stack up against the Korean LG IPS panels?

Better. I was actually using a 27 inch korean IPS (catleap 2B) and pushing 100Hz on it and I upgraded to the 50 inch seiki and now my catleap is collecting dust. There is the 1 frame of input lag that the catleap doesn't have and I am super sensitive to this. For really competitive FPS I run at 240Hz 720p halve that where it is not noticable to me anymore but i would think for 98% of people they wouldn't even be able to notice any input lag at all.

That being said when gaming colors/motion blur/contrast seemed superior to my catleap (especially the contrast). I couldn't be happier gaming on my seiki.

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'm going to return the 55" and get the 50" instead. I just have to have the 120hz feature for gaming. I just hope that after I return the 55" Seiki doesn't release firmware to update the 55" into 120hz native. Oh well I'll just take the gamble. One more question, if I run the 50" on 120hz and watch movies on my dvd drive or streaming online will the movies have the "soap oprah effect"? I like the ability to turn that effect on or off.

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'm going to return the 55" and get the 50" instead. I just have to have the 120hz feature for gaming. I just hope that after I return the 55" Seiki doesn't release firmware to update the 55" into 120hz native. Oh well I'll just take the gamble. One more question, if I run the 50" on 120hz and watch movies on my dvd drive or streaming online will the movies have the "soap oprah effect"? I like the ability to turn that effect on or off.

MEMC does not work on the 50 inch at all. I don't see why a firmware update couldn't fix this in the future though. This is the only advantage the 55 inch has is it supports this feature also referred to as the 'soap oprah effect.'

I actually seriously doubt that 55 inch will ever do 120Hz @ 1080p. Its an AU panel instead of a CMI panel that is in the 39/50 inch so a completely different kind of panel. I dont know the specs but if its TCON does not support taking 1920x1080 @ 120Hz (shutter 3d @ 1080p) then it won't do it, The fact it will do 70Hz not 120Hz does not leave me with a good feeling about its capabilities.

I should have taken a picture but I think I forgot to. Can you tell me the model of the panel listed on the 55 inch in from the service menu? menu + 0000

MEMC does not work on the 50 inch at all. I don't see why a firmware update couldn't fix this in the future though. This is the only advantage the 55 inch has is it supports this feature also referred to as the 'soap oprah effect.'

I actually seriously doubt that 55 inch will ever do 120Hz @ 1080p. Its an AU panel instead of a CMI panel that is in the 39/50 inch so a completely different kind of panel. I dont know the specs but if its TCON does not support taking 1920x1080 @ 120Hz (shutter 3d @ 1080p) then it won't do it, The fact it will do 70Hz not 120Hz does not leave me with a good feeling about its capabilities.

I should have taken a picture but I think I forgot to. Can you tell me the model of the panel listed on the 55 inch in from the service menu? menu + 0000
I took a picture of that menu shortly before returning and getting the 50 inch version.
T550QVD02.0
http://i.imgur.com/fL0SmCM.jpg

I took a picture of that menu shortly before returning and getting the 50 inch version.
T550QVD02.0
http://i.imgur.com/fL0SmCM.jpg

can't find any inf on that panel at all. Could have sworn that the one I tested in in sears a while back started with AU.

EDIT: whups I must have did a O instead of a 0 or something so yeah its AU.... Gonna check out its panel spec sheet.

Interesting, that panel is V by one instead of LVDS and its 16 lanes which I think is enough for 3840x2160 @60Hz. Maybe the issue is just with the the controller that takes TMDS and converts to v by one that is the issue.

Actually if I am reading that correctly ti looks like it can take 3840x2160 @ 120Hz if its 74.25 Mhz per lane (x16 1188 Mhz) and that appears to be how its being ran from page 14.

Only timings I see are on page 16 which shows the 'typical' refresh at 120Hz and a whopping 270 Khz horizontal. Combined totals seem to add up:

# field rate 120.00 Hz; hsync: 274.44 kHz; pclk: 1097.75 MHz
Modeline "3840x2160_120.00_rb" 1097.75 3840 3888 3920 4000 2160 2163 2168 2287 +HSync -Vsync

It looks like it doesn't support taking lower resolutions at all so it the scaling must be getting done by other hardware. This might be a better LCD if you could upgrade the internals. I would think this panel would be 60Hz capable with the correct internals for sure.

So whats the deal with the 39" TV? What are the downsides of me running one over my existing Korean IPS panel?

So whats the deal with the 39" TV? What are the downsides of me running one over my existing Korean IPS panel?

The korean IPS's are usually near zero input lag... the Seiki has one frame so around 9ms-ish at 1080p@120Hz. Most people wouldn't notice it at all but I do, its pretty minor.

Koreap IPS gives you 100-120 Hz @ 2560x1440 on the seiki you will have to run at 1920x1080.

Pretty much the only two things I can think of for pro's with the korean setup over seiki. The seiki is barely more when you get it when its priced at $400 and its significantly bigger (which I prefer).

I have both the 39 and 50 inch models and game on both (39 inch at work, so usually only game after hours).

How would this do for a primary monitor? I currently use a dell 2405FPW set at 1920 x 1200. dont play any games just want a large monitor experience for every day tasks. Should i jump on the 39 inch seiki? go with a 30 inch dell 3007WFP? or wait for something else?

I use the 39" and its great for work and web surfing at 4k. I need to work with two web pages and my report software simultaneously and all of that wont fit on a 30" 1600p. The seiki has replaced my 3x1 portrait setup an i love it....If it did 60hz 4k it would be the GOAT display.

1080p 120hz is awesome when i play Halo CE, but not so impressive with BF4 IMHO

Hey houkouonchi, can our 39" seiki run 720p 240hz? Mine defaults to 60hz when i try. Not that id ever use that mode since 1080p120 is perfect for me, but hey.

Btw, u can have the 'soap oprah effect' on the PC if u want, just google for SVP. Its basically a filter that is used for MPC to play the vids, with interpolated frames to fit to your refresh rate. Be warned though, cos its software accelerated hehe, so your CPU will take a hammering while going from a 1080p60 source to 1080p120 on the seiki, like all my i7 cores maxed spec :) But the results are good.

The korean IPS's are usually near zero input lag... the Seiki has one frame so around 9ms-ish at 1080p@120Hz. Most people wouldn't notice it at all but I do, its pretty minor.

Koreap IPS gives you 100-120 Hz @ 2560x1440 on the seiki you will have to run at 1920x1080.

Pretty much the only two things I can think of for pro's with the korean setup over seiki. The seiki is barely more when you get it when its priced at $400 and its significantly bigger (which I prefer).

I have both the 39 and 50 inch models and game on both (39 inch at work, so usually only game after hours).

So this thing will never be able to do native rez@60Hz then? Seems like it would be silly to buy a monitor that doesn't do everything properly at its native rez. I currently have 3 Korean IPS panels with no scalar, and am looking to slim that down to 1 4K monitor for gaming/center ladscape screen, and 1 Korean IPS panel.

Well I'm going to return the t.v tomorrow. I just wanna double check and make sure that the 55" will never be capable of 120hz even with a firmware update?

Something I've done which is possibly quite clever (or ordinary, or stupid), is to take a VGA cable, with a DVI->VGA connector, and connect that to my Seiki 39", in addition to my HDMI connection.

On my SLI GTX570, using Nvidia drivers, I now have two logical monitors, one of them 3180 * 2160 @ 30Hz, and the other one 1920 * 1080 @ 60Hz.

I can now switch between inputs by choosing HDMI 3 OR VGA on the Seiki remote, and have the relevant display. This makes it possible to play Pokerstars (the client won't do large screen cards, so they're really tiny on the 3840 * 2160 screen). Move the screen half way across the edge of the screen where the 'other' logical screen is, switch to VGA, fully drag the window into the screen and hit Maximize, and you have a fully functional 1920 * 1080 screen with beautifully scaled graphics :)

I did this foolishness to try and stop the 'resolution change' when the monitor is switched off, but sadly, that didn't work (I still get shrunken/reordered screens after powering the monitor back on). Fortunately, I use Stardock Fences 2.0, so my icons don't get jumbled up during these screen resizing events.

So this thing will never be able to do native rez@60Hz then? Seems like it would be silly to buy a monitor that doesn't do everything properly at its native rez. I currently have 3 Korean IPS panels with no scalar, and am looking to slim that down to 1 4K monitor for gaming/center ladscape screen, and 1 Korean IPS panel.

Sounds like your in the market for the 28" 4k 60hz Asus, Lenovo or Samsung TN panel then.

Back