Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

Thx Gwimmel, ill give that noon program a shot. I had already tried HRC.exe, but it failed to detect 120hz. I have 120hz showing both on my Nvidia panel (custom res) and the windows display settings.

Last edited:
Would yall recommend this a monitor for programming and some light gaming? I'm wondering if my surface pro 2 will have a problem running it...

Has anyone tried to get 3D Vision working with this monitor/tv? I saw some discussion about it earlier in the thread, but no results.

Thanks!

Hi everybody, I got my Seiki 39" two days ago, 2 day delivery from Amazon to Italy is quite amazing :)

I have attached the Seiki to my 670 GTX. On the DVI there is also my 27" from Dell. On the second DVI I had my Eizo 23" but with that one attached Windows seems to be slower less responsive and Aero is not working. So I moved the 23" to the Intel 4000.
Its running fine more or less but I have found 2 "problems".

1) When watching 4k videos especially on youtube I have pretty heavy tearing. I tried to run the 4k only and no other screen on the 670GTX but didnt help. I have some mp4 that seem to run a little bit better but still tearing going on. Enabled adaptive vsync doesnt help very much.
Is this something I gotta live with, is the 670 not fast enough or is there some secrete sauce?

2) When I shut down the Seiki via remote it gets undetected by windows and windows moves all programs and windows around. This doesnt happen with the other monitors on DVI. Is this a driver issue or a Seiki/HDMI one?

Hi everybody, I got my Seiki 39" two days ago, 2 day delivery from Amazon to Italy is quite amazing :)

I have attached the Seiki to my 670 GTX. On the DVI there is also my 27" from Dell. On the second DVI I had my Eizo 23" but with that one attached Windows seems to be slower less responsive and Aero is not working. So I moved the 23" to the Intel 4000.

1) When watching 4k videos especially on youtube I have pretty heavy tearing. I tried to run the 4k only and no other screen on the 670GTX but didnt help. I have some mp4 that seem to run a little bit better but still tearing going on. Enabled adaptive vsync doesnt help very much.
Is this something I gotta live with, is the 670 not fast enough or is there some secrete sauce?

2) When I shut down the Seiki via remote it gets undetected by windows and windows moves all programs and windows around. This doesnt happen with the other monitors on DVI. Is this a driver issue or a Seiki/HDMI one?

1) I heard people got tearing on the 39 inch firmware sometimes at 4k but I never really ran into this myself. I assume your running it at 30Hz? Is it only youtube or do you get it playing other video's as well? Could be a flash plugin issue...

I would try flashing with the 50 inch firmware if you haven't already as that fixes other issues as well.

2) This issue seems to be a lot better when its running the 50 inch firmware but its still not perfect. The only way I know to completely stop this from happening is by buying an HDMI detective which is $70-100. You can also try using the accellcables DP 1.1 -> HDMI 1.4 active adapter as that in combination with the 50 inch firmware might be making the difference. I don't run windows so i never have this issue as linux does not suffer from issues like this but my dad does run windows (with the accel adapter) and he suffered from that issue that almost went away completely after upgrading to the 50 inch firmware.

What CPU do you have? I have a 670 FTW OC'd pretty heavily and I've no issues with youtube @ 4k.

2: My seiki does this too, but I don't use desktop icons so I've no issue with it. You might want to look into stardock fences. It costs but it works pretty well.

What CPU do you have? I have a 670 FTW OC'd pretty heavily and I've no issues with youtube @ 4k.

2: My seiki does this too, but I don't use desktop icons so I've no issue with it. You might want to look into stardock fences. It costs but it works pretty well.

my dad wrote an app to store all the icon locations on his (on multiple monitors). Maybe i can see if he is willing to distribute it.. this was due to all the times icons got fux0rd when eyefinity groups broke when he was running off his VP2290b (3840x2400 via 4x single link DVI).

I would get terrible screen tearing on mine as well using the stock firmware. It would happen no matter what the resolution, refresh, v-synch were set to. Flashing the 50" firmware seems to have resolved it, at least for me.

my dad wrote an app to store all the icon locations on his (on multiple monitors). Maybe i can see if he is willing to distribute it.. this was due to all the times icons got fux0rd when eyefinity groups broke when he was running off his VP2290b (3840x2400 via 4x single link DVI).

This one works well, too.
http://download.cnet.com/DesktopOK/3000-2072_4-10912853.html

Interesting, I flashed the 50 firmware - at least I thought I did, might try it again.
It depends on the movie, but this one here (new gh4 promo) is a perfect example of horribleness :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptjUFr16i3M

2) I dont care about the 3 icons I have on the desktop but I have a application that uses many single windows that are arranged in a certain way. I can't shut down the monitor during lunchbreak cause they all get moved around that's my issue ..

It's the may one. You can verify in the service menu it will list the LCD being a CMO 50 instead of 39 in the model info.

It says Panel Info CMI-V500DK1_LS1

Do you think it is a problem that I have 2 monitors connected to the same graphicscard. As far as I can remember when I tried with the 27" disconnected tearing was the same

It says Panel Info CMI-V500DK1_LS1

Do you think it is a problem that I have 2 monitors connected to the same graphicscard. As far as I can remember when I tried with the 27" disconnected tearing was the same

on linux this would be a problem because the primary video output driver (xv) can only sync to one of your connected displays. I was pretty sure aero could properly deal with this though but I would say this does seem like it would be the most likely culprit.

Although sometimes you do have to reboot before windows really does read the new EDID as I have learned so if you haven't done that after flashing I would give that a try too.

Interesting, I flashed the 50 firmware - at least I thought I did, might try it again.
It depends on the movie, but this one here (new gh4 promo) is a perfect example of horribleness :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptjUFr16i3M

2) I dont care about the 3 icons I have on the desktop but I have a application that uses many single windows that are arranged in a certain way. I can't shut down the monitor during lunchbreak cause they all get moved around that's my issue ..

I should clarify my previous post. I normally use the monitor for desktop and gaming at 1080 (at which I would get considerable tearing).

Viewing the video you posted above at 2160p did cause some flashing at certain transition points, but no tearing. YouTube is horrible though, so I'm downloading some other 4k demos to test further.

Yes, the tearing is only happening when watching 4K movies on 4K fullscreen resolution.
I have some demo mp4 that when watched with movieplayer classic are playing more or less fine.
It depends on the content, a static camera with actors moving is fine but that youtube video with aerial footage where the whole screen/camera moves produces tearing without v-sync and some flickering/bad edges with v-sync.

I thought a 670GTX should be powerful enough to update 4k@30hz .. how is it going to be on a 60Hz full 4K screen?

If you go read the numbers for modern video card performance, even quad titan SLI can have difficulty updating a 4K screen at 30Hz, depending upon the title, and degree of 'ultraness' involved. Go check the charts out.

Ehm, I'm not talking gaming here, just watching a 4K video (on youtube)...

Yes, the tearing is only happening when watching 4K movies on 4K fullscreen resolution.
I have some demo mp4 that when watched with movieplayer classic are playing more or less fine.
It depends on the content, a static camera with actors moving is fine but that youtube video with aerial footage where the whole screen/camera moves produces tearing without v-sync and some flickering/bad edges with v-sync.

I thought a 670GTX should be powerful enough to update 4k@30hz .. how is it going to be on a 60Hz full 4K screen?

What are the specs of your computer? Maybe your CPU is having trouble decoding it fast enough and that is causing tearing? I have a gtx 670 and i have not had any problems playing any 4k content although there is some stuff that is to high of a bit-rate for the video card decoding to work (on linux with vdpau).

Here are some more 4k video's if you wanna test:

http://box.houkouonchi.jp/4k/

I'm running a 3770K @ 4.2ghz so cpu should not be the problem ;)
Can you try that youtube video I posted above?

Oh forget it, it's fu**in Youtube.. I downloaded the video with a download utility and it plays flawless with vlc!

I'm running a 3770K @ 4.2ghz so cpu should not be the problem ;)
Can you try that youtube video I posted above?

The lumiks test file? It kind of looks like crap due to the bit-rate but it plays just fine for me in mplayer. I can't play anything full csreen or higher than 1080p from the browser on linux because of my desktop compositing and lack for uspport from the flash plugin. I was able to download the file and play in mplayer just fine. Here is the raw file:

http://box.houkouonchi.jp/4k/youtube_crap/ルミックスGH4(開発発表)で撮影した4K動画.mp4

You could try it in a different player to see if it makes any difference.

The first clip, the roast duck one, absolutely kills it. Best 4k sample ever. The others are ok, but not as sharp and a lil noisy.

The first clip, the roast duck one, absolutely kills it. Best 4k sample ever. The others are ok, but not as sharp and a lil noisy.

That clip is fantastic. That clip probably represents what will be possible with 4k Blu Ray. But broadcasting and streaming will be similar to the rest of the clips. Netflix has already commented that they intend to use something like a 13-14Mbps stream requirement for 4k content. I can't imagine Cable/Sat/Fiber being more than 20-23Mbps streams at most , probably less with the newest codec.

Still a true 4k Blu Ray at 50+Mbps is just sexual.

Well after reading this entire thread (wow) I wanted to offer thanks to all the hard work that has gone into enhancing the experience with an imperfect product! I recently picked up my 39". Has anyone who has been in contact with Seiki inquired about a new firmware since it was discovered that the 50" firmware is better? It seems like that they could get some credit by just copying the 50" and properly setting the EDID and releasing it? I am honestly worried that Seiki like so many companies do is off looking at the next product to release and forgetting about who got them here!

Also, I am looking for a temporary video card to hold me over until I upgrade my current 3ghz core2duo system... I really want the cheapest card that will run 4k for productivity (ms office). I am not playing games on this box! Would a 1gb hd 7750 cut it well enough? I will probably dump the card in 6 months....

Also, I am looking for a temporary video card to hold me over until I upgrade my current 3ghz core2duo system... I really want the cheapest card that will run 4k for productivity (ms office). I am not playing games on this box! Would a 1gb hd 7750 cut it well enough? I will probably dump the card in 6 months....
I'm in exactly the same boat, and won't be gaming on mine either. I just bought THIS and hope it gets me by for a few months.

That clip is fantastic. That clip probably represents what will be possible with 4k Blu Ray. But broadcasting and streaming will be similar to the rest of the clips. Netflix has already commented that they intend to use something like a 13-14Mbps stream requirement for 4k content. I can't imagine Cable/Sat/Fiber being more than 20-23Mbps streams at most , probably less with the newest codec.

Still a true 4k Blu Ray at 50+Mbps is just sexual.

Yeah that is why I listed the chimei 60 megabit clip first as that one is the best in my opinion as well. Done by the people who make the actual panel in the seiki's =) Well, atleast the 39/50 inch ones.

Well after reading this entire thread (wow) I wanted to offer thanks to all the hard work that has gone into enhancing the experience with an imperfect product! I recently picked up my 39". Has anyone who has been in contact with Seiki inquired about a new firmware since it was discovered that the 50" firmware is better? It seems like that they could get some credit by just copying the 50" and properly setting the EDID and releasing it? I am honestly worried that Seiki like so many companies do is off looking at the next product to release and forgetting about who got them here!

I was doing pretty regular correspondence via email with a VP over at seiki but the guy hasn't responded to any of my like 3 last emails since he first responded after mentioning the 50 inch firmware worked. They can be slow to respond but this has been a bit annoying.

Also the card that white_devil listed is a about the cheapest card I could find that will run the display. Some of the newer GT 630m's that are PCI-E x8 are the newer kepler cards that can properly drive the display without issues (even in linux). I had researched this a few weeks ago when my co-worker got the 39 inch version and just wanted to get the cheapest thing that would work on linux.

Is anyone able to achieve resolutions between 1080p and 2160p at higher than 30hz on a Mac?

I run mine at 1440p at 60 Hz. Hackintosh, 10.8.5, 650 Ti, and the patch below. Apparently the patch will not work in 10.9 currently, but that may be resolved with 10.9.2. I run 1440p because, for some reason, it absolutely crawls at 4k/30 Hz. I don't mean lag, but simple things like opening browser tabs takes longer. Works perfectly fine in Windows 7.
https://code.google.com/p/mac-pixel-clock-patch/wiki/Documentation

I flashed the 50 firmware onto my 39 to play with 120 Hz, but found that it caused a lot of blanking behavior. Has anyone else experienced this? It's completely resolved by loading the most recent 39 firmware.

I run mine at 1440p at 60 Hz. Hackintosh, 10.8.5, 650 Ti, and the patch below. Apparently the patch will not work in 10.9 currently, but that may be resolved with 10.9.2. I run 1440p because, for some reason, it absolutely crawls at 4k/30 Hz. I don't mean lag, but simple things like opening browser tabs takes longer. Works perfectly fine in Windows 7.
https://code.google.com/p/mac-pixel-clock-patch/wiki/Documentation

I flashed the 50 firmware onto my 39 to play with 120 Hz, but found that it caused a lot of blanking behavior. Has anyone else experienced this? It's completely resolved by loading the most recent 39 firmware.

How'd you get that resolution? I don't see it in sys prefs, and I can't get switchresx to install it.

I'm using the 50 firmware on the 39, no blanking.

Also the card that white_devil listed is a about the cheapest card I could find that will run the display. Some of the newer GT 630m's that are PCI-E x8 are the newer kepler cards that can properly drive the display without issues (even in linux). I had researched this a few weeks ago when my co-worker got the 39 inch version and just wanted to get the cheapest thing that would work on linux.

Sorry if this is exhausting....
I was leaning towards this (I also prefer ATI)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687
Its a HD7770 with 1Gb of ddr5 for $79 after rebate...

Question is about amount of vram...the 7770 is a much faster card than the gt630, and does cost a little more, but the gt630 has 2gb

Which would you pick for the Seiki? Is 2gb a must fir 4k? Do we know which card would perform better at 4k?

Back