Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

I saw the same results with a 7950 with OS X and a 6870 with Windows 8.1. The best way to get this fixed is to Enter a bug at apple (see my post above). It took less than a day to hear back on broken HDMI performance on OS X. With further research, it turns out that Apple is limiting HDMI bandwidth to a 1.0 specification of 165Hz. HDMI was updated to specification 1.3 in 2006, raising the limit to 330Hz. As long as trey can figure out where to change 165 to 330, it should be an easy fix. The same goes for your bug.

While most assume Apple knows about these issues, their quick response and request for more info tells me otherwise.

Unfortunately I can not send a report. It will not let me log in with my AppleID. I would assume a developer account is required?

- Garrett

Maybe some good news on the OS X front.. Apple is asking for more information about issues with OS X drivers on Apple Hardware. I've sent across details from my MacPro with a 7950.

If you have issues with OS X and the Seiki, display please submit a bug to bugreporter.apple.com with the following information:
  • attach a close up picture of the image on the display showing the corruption
  • include a reference to bug: 15841651 - 3840x2160 resolution sent as 1920x2160 to external display
  • attach a hardware report from your system (see below)

To obtain a full System Information Report (ASP, system profile):
1. Select "About This Mac" from the Apple Menu
2. Click the “More Info…” button on the About This Mac window
3. Click “System Report…” on the next About This Mac window
4. Select "Save…" from the File menu (cmd-s)
5. Change the file name and save location as needed
6. Click the "Save" button

[*] include a reference to bug: 15841651 - 3840x2160 resolution sent as 1920x2160 to external display <-- this really sounds like someone is doing it wrong (IE: DVI -> HDMI cable and dual-link DVI is being sent out).

After flashing the 39" model to the 50", has anyone experienced random screen flickering or flashing?

Its been spot on for me. I assume you used it quite a bit with the original 39 inch firmware and didn't have these issues? Avoid the side HDMI (HDMI 3) if that is what you are using.

After flashing the 39" model to the 50", has anyone experienced random screen flickering or flashing?

I had horrendous random screen flashing (going off, rediscovering signal, going off), many times each -minute- when playing games.

After a few games did this to me, I revered to the 39" ROM and those issues disappeared.

What is the reason behind the change in Firmware for everyone?

I"m playing around with mine and I see it will not properly display 120Hz at 1080p. The browser tests from testufo.com all show it as 60 even though I created a custom resolution of 120 through the Nvidia control panel.

Last edited:

I"m playing around with mine and I see it will not properly display 120Hz at 1080p. The browser tests from testufo.com all show it as 60 even though I created a custom resolution of 120 through the Nvidia control panel.

Are you chosing 120 Hz from the display control panel under advanced after switching to 1080p? You can also try my inf for the monitor driver:

http://box.houkouonchi.jp/seiki_custom_edid_120_240hz.inf

For the people getting blanking... Are these with custom timings or is it the same as 1080p with an increased pixel clock? What pixel clock are your mode? And I assume this is over HDMI1/2

I tried the inf but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Here's what I'm doing:

Seiki 4K TV attached to GTX Titan via HDMI 1
(I do have two other 2160p monitors running via Dual link DVI too)

Set 4K to primary and I even shut the other monitors down in Nvidai control panel via the Setup Multiple Displays.

Change Resolution -> Customize:
nESJIq6.png

After it's been applied - the panel itself says everything is 120

but UFO tests all say 60 still

Last edited:

Ok multi-monitor definitely breaks the testufo test.

The browser is obviously detecting the refresh rate wrong. The reason for the firmware is to get true 120Hz. I would suggest instead use the application that can pretty much do the same test:

https://github.com/shurcooL/RefreshRateMultitool

I would run the 6 by 10 grid.bat. You can verify the frame rate via fraps or another utility.

The test gives you an error to remind you to set the monitor to be primary first. But as a "just in case" I did shut the other two down for a few tests too.

I have not updated the firmware yet either, I'll run the multiool test and then change the FW.

Thanks!

yup!, Afterburning showing 120FPS on a 6x10 grid.

So I'm still not clear on the reasoning behind changing the FW - unsure at this point if I should do it or not?

I'll test out some games too and see if I notice the difference.

yup!, Afterburning showing 120FPS on a 6x10 grid.

So I'm still not clear on the reasoning behind changing the FW - unsure at this point if I should do it or not?

I'll test out some games too and see if I notice the difference.

Well I assume if you have the 6x10 grid that you are only seeing every other box light up? It should look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZJjoR1QEuk

Here is what it looks like with the original 39 inch firmware where it drops half the frames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AClZklhqeA

ahhhh now I understand! That is exactly what is happening. Thanks!

going to DL the 50" Fw now from the seiki site and try again. Thank you very much for your help!

ahhhh now I understand! That is exactly what is happening. Thanks!

going to DL the 50" Fw now from the seiki site and try again. Thank you very much for your help!

No problem! It will probably insantly be noicable at the true 120Hz especially if you run a game.

All done - and Yes it was noticeable. It wasn't overpowering, but I'm sitting only about 1 foot from the screen and looking around and around and around in Borderlands 2 almost makes me dizzy. It was quite a euphoric feeling to be drawn into a game like that.

I still need to calibrate it, but as I was messing around with the contrast in the control panel when I put it to 100% this is what I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOxFOmC7haE

Seiki announced 10 different 4K TV:s, including 28" model @$399, and a 32-incher.
No technical information available (but Pro -models will get HDMI 2.0 firmware later).

http://www.seiki.com/company/news/2...uct-Portfolio-brings-more-4K-ULTRA-HD-TVs.php

&#8226;10 4K Ultra HD TV models starting from the PC-friendly 28-inch class screen to the new Seiki Pro&#8482; 85-inch class screen

&#9702;Seiki 28-inch 4K Ultra HD TV (SE28UY04): Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) $399
&#9702;Seiki 32-inch 4K Ultra HD TV (SE32UY04): MAP (TBD)
&#9702;Seiki 39-inch 4K Ultra HD TV (SE39UY04): MAP $599
&#9702;Seiki 50-inch 4K Ultra HD TV (SE50UY04-1): MAP $899
&#9702;Seiki 55-inch 4K Ultra HD TV (SE55UY04): MAP $999
&#9702;Seiki 65-inch 4K Ultra HD TV (SE28UY04): MAP $1,799
&#9702;Seiki Pro 55-inch 4K Ultra HD TV (SE55UY06): MAP $1,299
&#9702;Seiki Pro 58-inch 4K Ultra HD TV (SE58UY06): MAP $1,599
&#9702;Seiki Pro 65-inch 4K Ultra HD TV (SE65UY06): MAP $2,199
&#9702;Seiki Pro 85-inch 4K Ultra HD TV (SE85UY06): MAP $7,999

So in the sizes most likely to be used as monitors and hence that would benefit more from HDMI 2.0 Seiki is not offering HDMI 2.0?

32" is interesting, but what are the chances they'll fix the 1080p 120Hz issue out of the box?

32" is interesting, but what are the chances they'll fix the 1080p 120Hz issue out of the box?

Considering that they have not even realized that the 39" firmware on the site does not do 120Hz, i would say 50%-50% that the new models will have 120Hz working OK out of the box.

As a side note, updating the firmware is a 3 out of 10 difficulty task, certainly within the capabilities of the typical 39" buyer

Has anyone tried a new HDMI 2.0 Cable to see if they could achevie 4K @60Hz since HDMI 1.4a limits it to 4K @30Hz due to bandwidth

Has anyone tried a new HDMI 2.0 Cable to see if they could achevie 4K @60Hz since HDMI 1.4a limits it to 4K @30Hz due to bandwidth
HDMI 2.0 cable = HDMI 1.4a cable.
HDMI 2.0 higher speed doesn't come with the cable but higher TMDS speed .
TDMS throughput raises from 3.4 Gbit/s/channel (1.4a) to to 6 Gbit/s/channel (2.0), but 1.4a certified cables can support 2.0 speed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.0

HDMI 2.0 cable = HDMI 1.4a cable.
HDMI 2.0 higher speed doesn't come with the cable but higher TMDS speed .
TDMS throughput raises from 3.4 Gbit/s/channel (1.4a) to to 6 Gbit/s/channel (2.0), but 1.4a certified cables can support 2.0 speed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.0

HDMI 1.4a

"HDMI 1.4 was released on May 28, 2009, and the first HDMI 1.4 products were available in the second half of 2009.[112][145] HDMI 1.4 increases the maximum resolution to 4K×2K, i.e. 3840×2160 (4K Ultra HD) at 24Hz/25Hz/30Hz or 4096×2160 at 24Hz (which is a resolution used with digital theaters)"

HDMI 2.0

"HDMI 2.0 was released on September 4, 2013.[157]

HDMI 2.0 increases the maximum TMDS per channel throughput from 3.4 Gbit/s to 6 Gbit/s which allows for a maximum total TMDS throughput of 18 Gbit/s.[157][158] This allows HDMI 2.0 to support 4K resolution at 60 frames per second (fps)."

But it was a simple question to see if someone trued it. I also don't see what you wrote in that article

I've asked around and the response I've gotten is that HDMI 2.0 is both a new port and a cable. So a 2.0 cable on an older port would have no impact.

That being said I've not seen anything official

I've asked around and the response I've gotten is that HDMI 2.0 is both a new port and a cable. So a 2.0 cable on an older port would have no impact.

That being said I've not seen anything official

Well I've seen some rumors about Seiki releasing a firmware update to enable 2.0 like a few other company's are doing

Well I've seen some rumors about Seiki releasing a firmware update to enable 2.0 like a few other company's are doing
Yes that is for their new yet to be released Pro line of TVs which will still be limited to 30hz at launch.

But it was a simple question to see if someone trued it. I also don't see what you wrote in that article

Well there is kind of no point. We already know that the TV activates it scaler and everything looks like crap when you try to run it ta >31 Hz so even though we could technically do 40Hz or so via HDMI 1.4 it doesn't work due to the TV so it kind of goes without saying 60Hz won't work, cable or not.

Which is why someone should figure out the location of the limits in the tcon firmware that I posted...

Which is why someone should figure out the location of the limits in the tcon firmware that I posted...

I don't think the >31 Hz issue is with the TCON though is it? AFAIK the skyworth didn't have the same problems as the seiki and was highly overclockable?

Last question. Is it possible to upscale 1080P videos to 4K on a dedicated GPU instead of the TV doing it.

Last question. Is it possible to upscale 1080P videos to 4K on a dedicated GPU instead of the TV doing it.

Yes, if you play video's almost any video player will do its own usually superior upscaling (compared with seiki's own) to 4k as the computer will just be sending it a 4k signal. This is how I watch all my media on my 50 inch seiki.

Also if your willing to lose the refresh rate you can use GPU scaling for 1080p for generic scaling while the computer thinks its displaying 1920x1080 but then its only 30Hz as the TV is still getting a 3840x2160 signal.

Just a heads up on the upscaling - I couldn't tell a difference watching 1080p videos on the 39" Seiki vs my regular 1600p Dell 30" monitor

Just a heads up on the upscaling - I couldn't tell a difference watching 1080p videos on the 39" Seiki vs my regular 1600p Dell 30" monitor

yeah I don't notice a huge difference there but I think I see a big difference watching a 1080p video upscaed to 4k via a media player/gpu on a computer vs sending 1080p to the seiki and letting it upscale to 4k =)

Has anyone been able to find a solution to "things looking different at different modes" scenario?

In my case, on 120hz 1080p, everything looks sweet. On any other mode, eg 4k 30hz or 1080p60 etc, the colors look over saturated, even though its using the same settings as the the 120hz 1080p mode. So if I reconfiguring the settings, then the 120hz 1080p will not look right, and thats my most used mode.

But besides this issue, im really enjoying this monitor more than ever! since the 50" firmware, its been totally awesome with games.

Has anyone been able to find a solution to "things looking different at different modes" scenario?

In my case, on 120hz 1080p, everything looks sweet. On any other mode, eg 4k 30hz or 1080p60 etc, the colors look over saturated, even though its using the same settings as the the 120hz 1080p mode. So if I reconfiguring the settings, then the 120hz 1080p will not look right, and thats my most used mode.

But besides this issue, im really enjoying this monitor more than ever! since the 50" firmware, its been totally awesome with games.
Did you check the color settings under different resolutions?

For me 1080p@120hz has everything set to middle (50) on the user picture mode. Switching to any supported resolution activates the "proper" default color settings.

I just got the 39" model. Flashed to 50" firmware and just WOW. Amazing! I was able to set 2560/1440 @ 120hz. And 1920/1080 @120 hz. UFO tests state 60hz. RefreshrateMulti shows 120hz. Which one is correct?

Back