Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

Maybe I see what he is talking about really looking at the pixels I see like the Y and O in your are joined and stuff. if that is what he is talking about .

Although looking at the screen I don't see that although it appears that way in the picture... not sure...

Here's a PNG of what your red-on-black text looks like on my Seiki 39",

Please note I'm using GDI of 125% zoom (Windows 7 pro),

AND my Firefox browser screen is zoomed as well

(I can't read native-font sized text easily, so I magnify with ctrl-scroll, probably 5 levels of Firefox zoom)

seikiredonblack4excession.png

I have the 39'' of this and I'm trying to update the firmware from he service menu but I keep on getting this "No Device Detected: Search Again?" message. 8GB Fat32 USB drive.

I saw a couple other people had this problem also; has anyone figured out a solution?

Here's a PNG of what your red-on-black text looks like on my Seiki 39",

Please note I'm using GDI of 125% zoom (Windows 7 pro),

AND my Firefox browser screen is zoomed as well

(I can't read native-font sized text easily, so I magnify with ctrl-scroll, probably 5 levels of Firefox zoom)

seikiredonblack4excession.png

Hmmmm. Not seeing any issues with Font Rendering and getting a 1:1 clean output on a MacPro with a Gigabyte AMD 7950.

Definitely unzipped; just the install.img file on the fat32 drive. Am I supposed to write the image to the drive rather than move it over? Or unpack the .img file?

I keep on getting "No Device Found" error messages rather than "No File Found" or something; so I think something hardware level is broken.

I picked up the Seiki 39" today. Should be here tomorrow.

I plan to replace my old work monitors, a Samsung SyncMaster 24" (1920x1200) + Dell 20" (1600x1200) with the Seiki even though the Intel HD2500 graphics on my Core i3 3220 won't push it.

I picked up a Radeon 5450 for $30 that "will" push it at 3840x2160@30Hz.

For the work I do at work, reading emails, coding scripts, and stuff like that, the 39 will do nicely while saving power and giving me much more screen real estate to work in.

My 50 inch arrived damaged. So I took this as an opportunity to get the 55 inch sears version due to the 15% Discover cashback (making it cheaper than the 50 inch).

Well that was a mistake.

But here's what I learned:

It uses this panel:
http://www.panelook.com/T550QVD02.0 CELL_AUO_55_CELL_overview_19718.html
Which far as I can tell is the same as the $3000 Sony.

This Seiki uses different internals/firmware than the 50 inch version. And soon as I opened the menu I saw the difference. It looks similar to the 50 inch seiki but the text is more rounded (not in a good way).

The 55 inch has a motion interpolation feature. So you can feed it a 24hz movie and get the "soap opera" effect at full 4K res. However enabling motion interpolation feature on 30hz input source lead to some sort of jumpy frames from time to time. Sort of like tearing/showing a previous frame. I don't even know how to explain. Easiest to see with a game input. I did not see this feature on my 50inch. With this enabled I can see that the panel can truly do 120hz at 4K. If only there was an input for it....

1080P upscalling for Desktop/Video games is much worse than the 50 inch version. Skyrim looked good at 1080p on the 50 incher but looked like total ass on this one. I tried playing around with the Nvidia color setting as well as TV's own but I couldn't get it to look good at 1080p.

Also this TV can not do 120hz at 1080p. Maxes out at 77hz (higher is "not supported"). It also can't do 31hz at 4K. It tried to show it but it's just a mess of color.

Since the panel also had 3 splotches on it (lightens the picture) and I was going to return it. I decided to just for fun try and "upgrade" the firmware to the 50 inch version. Just to see if I could get some features back/finer color adjustment (well technically less features, but more resolution options). Nope did not work. It is definitely different. Does not even see the 50 inch version's firmware.

Very disappointed in this. At 4K res with BD quality movies it actually looked good. Maybe even better than the 50 inch version. But everything else is crap. And it probably didn't look better. It just has worse black levels so there's kinda more detail.

I won't try exchanging it because even if I did get a panel that doesn't have defects it would still have all those other issues due to the firmware. Sad though. Seems like the panel itself should be good.

My 50 inch arrived damaged. So I took this as an opportunity to get the 55 inch sears version due to the 15% Discover cashback (making it cheaper than the 50 inch).

Well that was a mistake.

But here's what I learned:

It uses this panel:
http://www.panelook.com/T550QVD02.0 CELL_AUO_55_CELL_overview_19718.html
Which far as I can tell is the same as the $3000 Sony.

This Seiki uses different internals/firmware than the 50 inch version. And soon as I opened the menu I saw the difference. It looks similar to the 50 inch seiki but the text is more rounded (not in a good way).

The 55 inch has a motion interpolation feature. So you can feed it a 24hz movie and get the "soap opera" effect at full 4K res. However enabling motion interpolation feature on 30hz input source lead to some sort of jumpy frames from time to time. Sort of like tearing/showing a previous frame. I don't even know how to explain. Easiest to see with a game input. I did not see this feature on my 50inch. With this enabled I can see that the panel can truly do 120hz at 4K. If only there was an input for it....

1080P upscalling for Desktop/Video games is much worse than the 50 inch version. Skyrim looked good at 1080p on the 50 incher but looked like total ass on this one. I tried playing around with the Nvidia color setting as well as TV's own but I couldn't get it to look good at 1080p.

Also this TV can not do 120hz at 1080p. Maxes out at 77hz (higher is "not supported"). It also can't do 31hz at 4K. It tried to show it but it's just a mess of color.

Since the panel also had 3 splotches on it (lightens the picture) and I was going to return it. I decided to just for fun try and "upgrade" the firmware to the 50 inch version. Just to see if I could get some features back/finer color adjustment (well technically less features, but more resolution options). Nope did not work. It is definitely different. Does not even see the 50 inch version's firmware.

Very disappointed in this. At 4K res with BD quality movies it actually looked good. Maybe even better than the 50 inch version. But everything else is crap. And it probably didn't look better. It just has worse black levels so there's kinda more detail.

I won't try exchanging it because even if I did get a panel that doesn't have defects it would still have all those other issues due to the firmware. Sad though. Seems like the panel itself should be good.
The panel is 120Hz capable so are the Tcons combined(yes mutliple) but the 16 lanes of VX1 are created by the board and are derived from a high internal LVDS stream big bummer if you ask me.

But we have these kind of tcons hooked up to our panels too but only FPGA's can drive them and Thine only works with people that want such a board made for 1000's of panels.

Now I am wondering. The 50 inch does not have a motion interpolation feature (at least mine did not).
It doesn't officially support 1080p at 120hz either. When I finally got through to support a day or so ago I was told that was not supported and should not be done/voids warranty/will summon Satan.

Yet it is sold as a 120hz set. So how is it a 120hz set then? And what about the 39 inch that doesn't actually do 1080p at 120hz without dropped frames. Does that one come with a motion interpolation feature?

Seems like only the 55 and 60 inch models actually support some sort of official (interpolated) 120hz mode.
With the 60 inch model having a better upscaler to top it off.

One last thing to add, not sure if it was mentioned in this thread before. The TV will "update" to an older firmware without warning. Current TVs come with August 30th (or around so) firmware, but the one on Seiki website is from May.

EDIT:
I saw a different 55inch Seiki at Sears. That one did not look THAT bad (compared to the one I returned). So I just got a really awesome panel I guess.

Last edited:
Well this really sucks.. Someone broke into my house. They stole two laptops (one was my sisters I was fixing), a computer i used as a HTPC box, and both of my TV's (42 inch and 50 inch 4k seiki one) as well as my semi-auto shutgun (with one box of ammo) as well as my Tablet (nexus 7 1920x1080 one). Thank *GOD* they didn't take any of my servers in my rack. I suspect I lucked out on that because they were all screwed in and it would have taken too long to take it all out.

I had camera's streaming to a colo box but i forgot to re-enable it when i was working on my server a few weeks ago. I know exactly when they did it (broad daylight) at 12:50 PM because thats when my internet connection went down.

So they got about $3k worth of stuff but missed the 25k worth of stuff in my rack... Again THANK god. If anyone wants to help me find them look for a used seiki being sold on craigslist or something somewhere in socal... =P

This does really suck.

I was lazy on getting an alarm setup (it was never about the cost) but needless to say all my computer hardware is being moved to my dad's house until I can get one installed as I am worried they might realize the value of the stuff they left behind and hit the place again.

Last edited:
Well this really sucks.. Someone broke into my house. They stole two laptops (one was my sisters I was fixing), a computer i used as a HTPC box, and both of my TV's (42 inch and 50 inch 4k seiki one) as well as my semi-auto shutgun (with one box of ammo) as well as my Tablet (nexus 7 1920x1080 one). Thank *GOD* they didn't take any of my servers in my rack. I suspect I lucked out on that because they were all screwed in and it would have taken too long to take it all out.

I had camera's streaming to a colo box but i forgot to re-enable it when i was working on my server a few weeks ago. I know exactly when they did it (broad daylight) at 12:50 PM because thats when my internet connection went down.

So they got about $3k worth of stuff but missed the 25k worth of stuff in my rack... Again THANK god. If anyone wants to help me find them look for a used seiki being sold on craigslist or something somewhere in socal... =P

This does really suck.

I was lazy on getting an alarm setup (it was never about the cost) but needless to say all my computer hardware is being moved to my dad's house until I can get one installed as I am worried they might realize the value of the stuff they left behind and hit the place again.
That's unfortunate :(.

Do you have insurance that will cover these stolen items?

That's unfortunate :(.

Do you have insurance that will cover these stolen items?

I haven't checked with what my home-owners insurance covers ATM due to the holiday season.

Anyway I bought another 50 inch seiki. Sears had it for only $749 and an additional 10% in rewards via discovercard made it an excellent deal. I picked it up local today at like 3 AM on black friday heh (took advantage of their late hours). I originally paid $1199 when it was like out for <1 week so atleast it was quite a bit cheaper this time around...

It was funny cause the guys totally did not think it would fit in my car (370z) but I had already transported my original one several times and new it would fit just fine.

Anyway while I was at sears I tested the 55 inch. I noticed the 55 inch is a totally different form factor compared to the 39/50.

The 55 inch seemed a lot thicker than the 50 inch which was the first turn off. Buttons were placed differently all 3 HDMI were on the left side.

Anyway I tried giving the 55 inch a 1080p@120Hz signal (I was debating getting that instead of the 50 inch for $100 more). At 1080p@120Hz the display showed 'no support' and did not work at all. This meant it was a no-go for me as the 120Hz @ 1080p is super important to me. I was going to test input lag and stuff too but I didn't care once it didn't do 120Hz @ 1080p.

I tried giving it a < 300 Mhz pixelclock @ 34 Hz >31 Hz. It *really* screwed up the output almost like it was doing some sort of weird interlacing and was all messed up so I don't think it will do >31 Hz either so I personally feel the 50 inch is better. The model was kind of high up and i couldn't look at it dead-on so I am not sure how the scaling compared but I have heard from others the 1080p scaling is even worse on the 55 inch model. Just thought some of you might be curious about that.

The 55 inch seemed a lot thicker than the 50 inch which was the first turn off. Buttons were placed differently all 3 HDMI were on the left side.

Anyway I tried giving the 55 inch a 1080p@120Hz signal (I was debating getting that instead of the 50 inch for $100 more). At 1080p@120Hz the display showed 'no support' and did not work at all. This meant it was a no-go for me as the 120Hz @ 1080p is super important to me. I was going to test input lag and stuff too but I didn't care once it didn't do 120Hz @ 1080p.

I tried giving it a < 300 Mhz pixelclock @ 34 Hz >31 Hz. It *really* screwed up the output almost like it was doing some sort of weird interlacing and was all messed up so I don't think it will do >31 Hz either so I personally feel the 50 inch is better. The model was kind of high up and i couldn't look at it dead-on so I am not sure how the scaling compared but I have heard from others the 1080p scaling is even worse on the 55 inch model. Just thought some of you might be curious about that.

It definitely is different. The back panel of the 55 incher is metal, the stand is 2 part (glass and plastic that screws into the back of the TV). It also runs different software as I mentioned before.

I haven't checked with what my home-owners insurance covers ATM due to the holiday season.

Anyway I bought another 50 inch seiki. Sears had it for only $749 and an additional 10% in rewards via discovercard made it an excellent deal. I picked it up local today at like 3 AM on black friday heh (took advantage of their late hours). I originally paid $1199 when it was like out for <1 week so atleast it was quite a bit cheaper this time around...

It was funny cause the guys totally did not think it would fit in my car (370z) but I had already transported my original one several times and new it would fit just fine.

Anyway while I was at sears I tested the 55 inch. I noticed the 55 inch is a totally different form factor compared to the 39/50.

I just got the 39" connected this morning and I'm trying to get it to display at 3840x2160 via HDMI but I don't seem to have that option in Windows 7. I'm running a Radeon HD5450, which is supposed to work at 2160p according to the reduser forum posts I saw.

nm...I got mine sorted out. :)

Last edited:
120Hz is doable on the 50 inch depending on if it has 2 hidden unused ports the 39 inch might to.
I figured the 39 and 50 inch used the same Tcon well it turns out they do in fact use the same chip but the 50 inch has 4x 81 to panel where the 39 only has half that.
Which is strange considering they have the same amount of pixels and the same refreshable rate.

If I get them working I'll of course make them available.

I hooked up one of my test boards to the CMI 39" 4k with LVDS tcon (2x81pin to panel) and was able to get 1920*1080@120Hz without skipping frames, so I don't know why they increased the data width in the 50" panel. Perhaps longer busses were an issue and they decided to split it up further?

I hooked up one of my test boards to the CMI 39" 4k with LVDS tcon (2x81pin to panel) and was able to get 1920*1080@120Hz without skipping frames, so I don't know why they increased the data width in the 50" panel. Perhaps longer busses were an issue and they decided to split it up further?

Did you try pushing 4k over 30hz?

I get a black screen when attempting 3840*2160@anything.

Need to snoop i2c bus to watch for commands that I might need to replicate.

I know you said this is the CMO panel but its the one that actually came with the seiki 39 inch which I assume you disassembled?

I know you were also interested in the skyworth (from the postings you made on the yahoo T221 group) which I think you said someone was going to get you one in china or something (girlfriend?).

If it is from a seiki 39 inch I really want to let them know. They have been giving me the run-around about 120Hz @ 1080p for a while now and even said they were unable to reproduce the frame droppage when given a 120 Hz signal... I don't know how they couldn't reproduce it... Very obvious...

Thanks for the heads up, filed a price protection claim with Sears. They should refund me some money as the purchase was made less than 14 days ago :D.

Yeah I did as well a couple hours ago. Got an additional $54 off my order. Yay!

Its a pain in the ass on ATI. I was able to get 120Hz @ 1080p or 30Hz @ 3840x2160 but not both working at the same time. Of course this was over DP with an active DP -> HDMI adapter. Maybe you will have better luck over HDMI directly.

You can give my inf (monitor driver) a shot. You have to install via device manager and go to monitors and click 'update driver' and chose location and uncheck show supported hardware.

http://box.houkouonchi.jp/seiki_4k_31hz_307mhz_1080p_120hz.inf

Houkouonchi,
I tried your .inf file unsuccessfully. I have the SE39UY04, using nVidia GeForce GTX 570. After installing and running the I see the SE50UY04 listed _on_ the DVI PC connector (I am on the HDMI connector). Setting this aside for the moment, using NVidia control panel, Creat Custom Resolution, I need some help here. When I set Horizontal Pixels to 3840 and Vertical Lines to 2160, 50Hz (also 30Hz), with Timing left at Automatic. Screen switches to 3840x2160 but the quality of the image is quite trashy. When I try Manual settings for Timing, things get really messed up. Screen goes blank, monitor indicates NOT SUPPORTED, system won't reboot without unplugging the power supply.

Would you have any hints as to get the 39" up and running at 4K. I'd prefer to not have to buy a different video adapter only to find the same problem due to lack of .ini file.

Thanks in advance

Houkouonchi,
I tried your .inf file unsuccessfully. I have the SE39UY04, using nVidia GeForce GTX 570. After installing and running the I see the SE50UY04 listed _on_ the DVI PC connector (I am on the HDMI connector). Setting this aside for the moment, using NVidia control panel, Creat Custom Resolution, I need some help here. When I set Horizontal Pixels to 3840 and Vertical Lines to 2160, 50Hz (also 30Hz), with Timing left at Automatic. Screen switches to 3840x2160 but the quality of the image is quite trashy. When I try Manual settings for Timing, things get really messed up. Screen goes blank, monitor indicates NOT SUPPORTED, system won't reboot without unplugging the power supply.

Would you have any hints as to get the 39" up and running at 4K. I'd prefer to not have to buy a different video adapter only to find the same problem due to lack of .ini file.

Thanks in advance

Honestly the inf is more of an ATI work-around. You usually don't need to do that on nvidia.

The display probably looks trash because the seiki activates its scaler (which atleast on the older ones downscaled to 1080p) when given a signal > 31Hz @ 4k so I would not expect anything more than ~31 Hz when at 4k.

If you want to run 120hz via a custom resolution at 1920x1080 then try these settings:

(1920x1080 display mode at the top, 120hz, progressive)

Manual timings:

horizontal/vertical:
Active Pixels 1920/1080
Front Porch: 88/4
Sync width 44/5
Total Pixels: 2200/1125
(or if it has back porch: 148/36)

Pixelclock should be 297 Mhz (at 120.00 Hz).

It won't get you much on the 39 inch though as it drops half of the frames.. been waiting months for seiki to fix this...

Well, after a false start with a video card that wasn't up-to-snuff for UHD, I put a spare 7750 I had lying on a shelf into my work system and the Seiki 39" looks as good as my 50, save for the random screen blanking that occurs from time to time.

I saw the same thing when I initially got my 50" so I checked the site and there is a Firmware update that I downloaded but have not flashed it yet.

I'm currently using this on my work machine so I'll have to wait until I take it home to flash the firmware.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it for work-type tasks.

I opened a blank Excel spreadsheet in the conference room on our 1080P TV, then opened one on the Seiki to show my co-workers just how many extra columns and rows you can see at a glance...

People at work are now finally starting to understand what the difference between a normal 1080p TV and a 4K TV is, so they're all asking for one to replace their dual monitor setups, lol.

Well, after a false start with a video card that wasn't up-to-snuff for UHD, I put a spare 7750 I had lying on a shelf into my work system and the Seiki 39" looks as good as my 50, save for the random screen blanking that occurs from time to time.

The screen blanking thing is really annoying; Having confirmation like this that it isn't just my set that has the problem, slightly lessens the annoyance. Slightly.

Confirmation also that AMD cards have it happen (I have Nvidia GTX570's, and it happens on both of those cards).

Sigh.

(I read with amusement about your cow-orkers demanding their own 39" displays.)

The screen blanking thing is really annoying; Having confirmation like this that it isn't just my set that has the problem, slightly lessens the annoyance. Slightly.

Confirmation also that AMD cards have it happen (I have Nvidia GTX570's, and it happens on both of those cards).

Sigh.

(I read with amusement about your cow-orkers demanding their own 39" displays.)

You tried a different cable right? I got periodically screen turning off with the cable that came with my 39 inch and then I instead used the one from my 50 inch and that one worked without issues.

I got blanking occasionally when using my laptop, but not with my desktop.
Same Seiki 39", same HDMI cable. It's been a while since I tried it, but originally I concluded it must be something different about the HDMI connector not making a good connection or the video hardware on the laptop (HD7850M/2GB).

In your case, I'd go with houkouonchi's suggestion to try a different cable.
Also try a different HDMI port on the montior if you still get the same.

You tried a different cable right?

I did try a different cable, and almost immediately had an episode where the monitor blanked, and didn't recover, instead stating 'NOT SUPPORT'. I switched back to the supplied cable and no more of those events occurred.

I got periodically screen turning off with the cable that came with my 39 inch and then I instead used the one from my 50 inch and that one worked without issues.

I just got one of my TV system's HDMI cables, and swapped the blue (supplied) one for this quite a lot older cable. I'll see how things pan out, but I sincerely don't hold out much hope that it's simply a cable issue.

EDIT: Replacement HDMI cable seemed to work better for a day, but then BAM, two Blank Screen events within a minute. Sigh. Going to try plugging HDMI into my secondary video card HDMI (Asus GTX570) instead of the primary (Gainward GTX570).

I have moved the connector from HDMI1, back to HDMI3 (the side one) because it's several times easier to get to. Another poster suggested that using HDMI3 was a bad idea.

Last edited:
How low can the Seiki 39" 4k go? It is $426 on Amazon.

I had flickering on my Windows 7 laptop, but not my desktop windows 8. Once I decrease the refresh rate from 30 HZ to 29 Hz, the laptop flickering stopped.

I'm beginning to wonder if there might be a newer model coming out and they are blowing out the old ones?

What I'd love to see is a smaller (maybe 24-27") touchscreen 4k monitor to use with Windows 8.

The Panasonic 32in 4k Touchscreen doesn't appear available in the US although it can be shipped from Japan. Still, the price is outrageous at over $5k.
http://global..com/en/store/nakaden/item/10009128/

Wow just got this email from one of Seiki's VP's. Needless to say I responded calling out some of the BS that was spouted from this email:

XXXXXXX, I personally verified as well while I was with the R&D team in China.

The issue has to do with the availability and current 39” flat-panel technology, in particular 4K. As you know Seiki is the only brand that offers this size. The only panel maker at this size ships with a certain number of chips attached to the panel—this is something we don’t have a lot of control over. That chip number determines the performance of the panel, along with the electronics.

In order for Seiki to deliver true 4K resolution, our team had to sacrifice what we thought was negligible 1080p performance using the available 39” 4K panel technology. While the panel is 120Hz rated and can deliver 1080p at 120Hz performance, it would then sacrifice 4K performance. Our team decided delivering a true 4K display was priority. In the end, it’s the hardware, so this issue can’t be fixed with an updated firmware—we tried hard to see if we can make this happen.

I know this is not the news you were hoping for. We’re also learning every day to make our next generation 4K displays perform better. In fact, you will hear about the fruits of our labor at CES with a completely new line of 4Ks.

Now, I want to thank you for all the time you spent to point out this issue, and I apologize for the delay in getting a proper response to you. Let me know if there is anything I can do from this point that you need.

I brought up the skyworth (same panel) that does do 120Hz and that its spec'd for it (timings in the specsheet of the panel which I attached). I also pointed out that they don't make the panel and that Skyworth even came out with their TV before seiki did. I also brought up the point that if they are not going to fix this how is it not false advertising. A quote from part of my response:

Ok, so if you guys basically are not planning on fixing this issue (which is disappointing) then let me ask you this.

In what situation does this display ever do 120Hz?

It seems to me the display must do one of the following:

1) Natively accept 120hz signal at any resolution, natively display said signal at 120Hz.

2) Upconvert 24.976 FPS (via processing of the video stream to figure out frame duplications) or simply take 23.976 Hz (which should not really require processing) which gets up-converted to 120Hz in order to create smoother motion for film frame-rate video which does not correctly divide into 60 or 30 correctly.

The 39 inch does neither of these two things so how is advertising it at 120Hz not false advertisement? Honestly option 2 is what I originally expected of the display but all things being equal I actually prefer option 1 which was a very pleasant surprise on the 50 inch (which is also a ChiMei Innolex pannel).

Needless to say I was not very happy with their response....

Did I see that someone has v-by-one controller for the 4K television?

I am trying to find a 8 lane V-by-one for the new innolux panels. did I see someone has one?

For further interest, if you want to drive the 50" or the 39" as a desk top monitor you can use the Accel active DP1.2 to HDMI 1.4 adaptor. I have it in my place and it is perfect on a NVIDIA FX card. It is $28 on Amazon.

I wanted to drive the television from a legacy DVI dual link source. I made a dongle which is DVI-DL to HDMI 1.4. I have set the device to 24 bit RGB and I get pixel perfect at 3840x2160 @ 30Hz

Is there a way to enable the custom resolutions and utilize GPU scaling? I have a Radeon 7950 with Windows 7.

The panel scaling is a nightmare with any non-native resolutions (except 1080). Everything gets really blurry.

The 39 inch does neither of these two things so how is advertising it at 120Hz not false advertisement? Honestly option 2 is what I originally expected of the display but all things being equal I actually prefer option 1 which was a very pleasant surprise on the 50 inch (which is also a ChiMei Innolex pannel).

The good news is that they are going to be showing new 4K monitors at CES.
The bad news is that their old monitor is class-action lawsuit material.

Back