Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

Sounds like a 60hz hack for this tv is on the way. Please let it be so I want this so bad but can't do the 30hz

And what evidence do you have to say that / where did you hear that?

Ive been following stuff pretty closely and have seen nothing to suggest a 60Hz mod is anywhere close to happening.

Sounds like a 60hz hack for this tv is on the way. Please let it be so I want this so bad but can't do the 30hz

Please do share where? I'm seeing this at $966 @ amazon right now... 60hz would be a deal-maker.

I need a VESA stand that could hold this monitor. The weight is 42.99lbs according to manufacturer website. The Humanscale M8 can only hold 41lbs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, the no DisplayPort thing is frustrating. I would happily pay $200 more for DisplayPort and I know it wouldn't cost them that much to add.

I'm still tempted to get the 39", I spend 99% of my time at the Windows desktop and that's a lot of real estate.

But I'm worried that in 2 months a 39" with DisplayPort will come out and I'll be pissed.

Yeah, the no DisplayPort thing is frustrating. I would happily pay $200 more for DisplayPort and I know it wouldn't cost them that much to add.

I'm still tempted to get the 39", I spend 99% of my time at the Windows desktop and that's a lot of real estate.

But I'm worried that in 2 months a 39" with DisplayPort will come out and I'll be pissed.

A good thing to be worried about. The ASUS is set to come out Q3 so that does mean sometime in the next 3 months.

I think we can say that this has given ASUS pressure to keep the price of their 39" monitor well under $2000. I mean, a big markup is good if you can do quality electronics, 60Hz, and all -- but with the 39" 4K LCD panels at about ~$400 in factory quantities being churned out (and capable of 120Hz refresh given the right electronics), there is plenty of profit in sub-$2000 4K 60Hz monitor.

ASUS needs to make sure that when doing 4K 60Hz, they don't eliminate the ability to do 1080p 120Hz -- that will be a very important feature to keep in any 4K desktop computer monitor, since the panel itself supports it; so the electronics shouldn't be gimped relative to the SEIKI 4K...

And why not, try 240Hz at 1080p? 4K 60Hz = same bandwidth as 1080p 240Hz.
The advantage is flicker-free near-LightBoost-style blur elimination, for those with powerful GPU's playing older games (For sample-and-hold flickerfree displays, you need 400fps@400Hz flickerfree to at least match LightBoost=100% motion resolution, and you need 700fps@700Hz flickerfree, to match LightBoost=10% motion resolution). It would require insane GPU's, but some panels are capable of being driven at 240Hz (for interpolation purposes); so why not natively? As a compromise that eliminates the need for flicker (LightBoost).

Last edited:
I would so pick up the 39 inch if it did 60hz.. Could sit it at the back of my desk since it's almost 3 foot deep and be fine..

So does it do 60hz at 4k? All it says on that link is that it does 120hz.

Hoping it does!

I went by Seiki HQ:

I wonder if this 'Tongfang Global Limited' is their parent company or something... I mainly went there hoping i could demo the 39 inch model but apparently they didn't have it anymore as it was shipped off for an electronics show (CES or computex or something).

Anyway I gave them my card and they said they would call me back if they get it back and I could come in and demo it some time. I was interested in overclocking as well as other things.

I also brought up the dual HDMI 60hz thing. The guy said they actually were looking into if it would be possible for them to implement it and they were interested in doing it if it was feasible. I mentioned I just use it as a monitor as well as several people I know and he said that they are also very aware lots of people are just using them as monitors and that is one of the reasons they were pushing to get the 39 inch model out quick.

I've been following this thread for a while and searching all over the internet and haven't found a clear cut answer. I'm hearing that it is impossible to run at 3840x2160/30hz with a single gtx 580 but for some reason I've heard of cases where if you had them in sli you will be able to achieve this resolution and refresh rate. Is this true? I am really interested in buying the 39" version of this tv and am ok with playing my "non twitch" games at 30hz as long as I can get over 100ppi goodieness on a 40" tv.

I've been following this thread for a while and searching all over the internet and haven't found a clear cut answer. I'm hearing that it is impossible to run at 3840x2160/30hz with a single gtx 580 but for some reason I've heard of cases where if you had them in sli you will be able to achieve this resolution and refresh rate. Is this true? I am really interested in buying the 39" version of this tv and am ok with playing my "non twitch" games at 30hz as long as I can get over 100ppi goodieness on a 40" tv.
I rather run it at 38Hz or higher :p
It is totally possible I run mine of a GTX570.
http://www.overclock.net/products/skyworth-39e780u-uhd-tv/reviews/6071

I went by Seiki HQ:

I wonder if this 'Tongfang Global Limited' is their parent company or something... I mainly went there hoping i could demo the 39 inch model but apparently they didn't have it anymore as it was shipped off for an electronics show (CES or computex or something).

Anyway I gave them my card and they said they would call me back if they get it back and I could come in and demo it some time. I was interested in overclocking as well as other things.

I also brought up the dual HDMI 60hz thing. The guy said they actually were looking into if it would be possible for them to implement it and they were interested in doing it if it was feasible. I mentioned I just use it as a monitor as well as several people I know and he said that they are also very aware lots of people are just using them as monitors and that is one of the reasons they were pushing to get the 39 inch model out quick.

If you go back You should tell them that there are people who'd even buy the upgraded motherboard and replace it themselves if it enabled 60Hz.

I know I would salivate at that prospect even if I had to pay $400 for the board alone.

Just wanted to say FYI, the Asus 39" 4K that was supposed to come out Q3 has been pushed back to "early 2014". Confirmed by Asus rep on Tom's.

Just wanted to say FYI, the Asus 39" 4K that was supposed to come out Q3 has been pushed back to "early 2014". Confirmed by Asus rep on Tom's.

Yeah that was mentioned in the asus 39 inch thread. That really sucks =(.

If you do talk with them, would you consider bringing up the subject of non-PWM backlighting? You can forward them to the TFTCentral article if that is helpful.

Do you notice any problems watching movies at 4k@30hz on the Seiki?

No, but I run linux so YMMV. I have a script that actually changes the display refresh rate on the fly depending on the video I am watching (switches between 23.97 Hz for film/de-telicined tv, 25 Hz for PAL and 30 Hz for NTSC content). It looks awesome and plays very nice. I also use vdpau so pretty much no load on my machine.

I even played 4k content and it looked great although vdpau is not fast enough to decode all the 4k stuff I tried to play. One of the files was 50 FPS 4k at 250 megabits+ bitrate. That one I had to use CPU rendering (and it used 800% cpu usage to play). That file was:

Crowd.Run.2160p.x264-CtrlHD.mkv

335 MB for only 10 seconds of video.

Just to add leaving it at 30Hz works ok too but I do notice the video isnt quite as smooth when I do that when playing film content (i have very little pal stuff) thus the purpose of the script.

Just to add leaving it at 30Hz works ok too but I do notice the video isnt quite as smooth when I do that when playing film content (i have very little pal stuff) thus the purpose of the script.

Alright thanks. I might give it a try and buy one from Amazon. I would prefer the 39" Asus but I don't know if I can wait 6 months...

anyone try and get 3d vision working on this tv yet? I know people were looking into it a few pages back. don't recall any results. unless I missed it. In which case, I'm sorry.:(

anyone try and get 3d vision working on this tv yet? I know people were looking into it a few pages back. don't recall any results. unless I missed it. In which case, I'm sorry.:(

If I had the hardware for it I would try but I don't. 120Hz @ 1920x1080 works well though.

Alright thanks. I might give it a try and buy one from Amazon. I would prefer the 39" Asus but I don't know if I can wait 6 months...

Yeah I am thinking I will probably wait but my dad is probably going to get the 39 inch seiki coming out in a month (you can pre-order it now). I really see the advantage of 60hz and I am willing to pay a few hundred $ premium for the extra refresh $1000ish vs $700ish but if it comes out at like $1500 or something its not worth double for the refresh rate and essentially an identical panel.

I bet they would almost double there sales by just adding 60hz and display port..

I agree. If they got 60hz working either through the usage of dual hdmi ports, I'd totally get one to replace my work monitor. Alternatively, if they added Passive 3D support, I'd be getting one for my living room.

Yeah I am thinking I will probably wait but my dad is probably going to get the 39 inch seiki coming out in a month (you can pre-order it now). I really see the advantage of 60hz and I am willing to pay a few hundred $ premium for the extra refresh $1000ish vs $700ish but if it comes out at like $1500 or something its not worth double for the refresh rate and essentially an identical panel.

True. I could also justify paying up to $1000 for 60Hz and DP but not much more than that. I've frankly never used a 30Hz display, so I don't even know if I would notice any problems that do exist.

Last edited:
True. I could also justify paying up to $1000 for 60Hz and DP but not much more than that. I've frankly never used a 30Hz display, so I don't even know if I would notice any problems that do exist.
I'm using the same panel as the asus one is going to have @40Hz and 30Hz is certainly less fluent than 60 (40 is already quite good)

I have the 39".

FYI, this monitor works well with a Radeon 6870 & Catalyst 13.1 drivers. (I updated drivers to 13.4 and the 4k res stopped being an option and the system defaulted to 1080p. I need to troubleshoot further to understand if this is a driver issue or just a glitch.) I'm guessing the other HD6000 series cards would work as well.

Also, there's lots of chatter about needing 3GB VRAM. I don't see that. Everything seems to be working fine on 1GB VRAM, but I'm running with AA disabled.

Anyone complaining about 30Hz at 4k, the reason to do so would be for lag. Unlike CRTs, a low refresh rate on an LCD panel does not cause eye fatigue.

Considering that people watch 24Hz movies at the theatre and on 30Hz TV (60i=30p), the 30Hz refresh rate is more than adequate for many things. The problem with 30Hz is that when you combine it with user interaction, then the lag becomes significant.

For FPS gaming at 4k on this monitor, VSYNC needs to be disabled or the lag makes it unusable, IMHO.

However, overall, the value here is incredible.
For general use, spreadsheets, CAD, etc, this monitor is fantastic,

If you weren't on ATI/windows I would ask you to see if you can get > 31 Hz off the thing.

I also ordered a 39 inch one as well when amazon was selling it for under $500 but mine hasn't shipped yet =(

Back