Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300)

I had an IBM T221 IPS Display 3840x2400 running at 31 Hz for over one year without any problems before I upgraded to the Seiki 39' 4k at 30 Hz. I do not game. I use the monitor for work and web browsing mostly. I guess if you game, the 30 Hz refresh rate may bother some users. Do most Xbox 360 or PS3 games run at 30 frames per second, if so I would say mostly users are not bother by the low refresh rate.

I set my Seiki 39" sharpness to Zero which helped a lot with the burry text.

The monitor works very well for programming. You'll need to adjust the pciture settinggs. It is nice with all the extra screen real-estate. The issue is if you are playing fast motion games that you'll notice that scrolling or refresh not to optimal. I personally really like using the Seiki se39uy04 for productivity apps and also watching 4K youtube videos.

This.

I purchased my Seiki to replace my Dell U3011. I needed the extra screen real estate because of the work I do replacing highly macro'd Excel Spreadsheets with a more proper database for crunching numbers for the Navy.

I do a lot of my working at home on the weekends because we just don't have enough people. I can have 3 1920x1080 Excel Spreadsheets open in 1920x1080 windows and have a 4th window open for MS Access 2010 where I convert the spreadsheet macro/VBa code to work in Access.

Then, after the workday is over, I can play Path of Exile for hours on it and it has a great picture. Or, Read [H] in a 1600x2160 window while watching a Youtube video in a 2240x2160 window (roughly 39" diagonal)

Anyone using or can suggest an arm or sturdy stand to 360 rotate this screen ?
thanks

Seiki 39 inch is $519 on amazon again. Best deal i have seen since it was $499 back when I got it. My dad is ordering a second one for home.

BS about capped at 1080p. The lag doesn't bother some people at all and a lot of that comes added with vsync that windows aero causes. If you are willing to disable windows aero then its a lot better. Moot issue for me as i run linux and i run at 3840x2160 95% of the time I use the display (both 39 and 50 inch).

Almost 0 reason to be running 1920x1080@120Hz on the 39 inch display as it can't natively support it. Some video cards seem to have issues getting a stable signal. I know i had that problem with one of the cables that came with one of my monitors but otherwise its been perfectly stable for me.

The lag may not bother 'some' people but it bothers me. Even with Aero switched off, there is noticeable input lag at native res. Because of this and the blurriness caused by the in-between resolutions, I'm stuck at 1080 for now.

You mentioned a possible firmware update to fix the scaling issues. Do you have any more information about that?

I'm happy to report that increasing the 1080 refresh rate to 122Hz stopped the screen blanking issue I was having at 120Hz.

The lag may not bother 'some' people but it bothers me. Even with Aero switched off, there is noticeable input lag at native res. Because of this and the blurriness caused by the in-between resolutions, I'm stuck at 1080 for now.

You mentioned a possible firmware update to fix the scaling issues. Do you have any more information about that?

I'm happy to report that increasing the 1080 refresh rate to 122Hz stopped the screen blanking issue I was having at 120Hz.

I doubt a firmware fix can fix the scaling thing as that is the TCON on the panel which is a ChiMei Innolex thing not a Seiki thing. The firmware fix is for the 39 inch when you run it at 1080p@120Hz it will actually display 120Hz as currently it drops half the frames. If you were having dropouts @ 120Hz I am surprised you even bothered with 120Hz although it probably does decrease the input lag a bit compared with 60Hz.

That being said what timings were you using to do 120Hz? I find it surprising 122 would be stable when 120 was not unless the timings were maybe too tight or possibly pixel clock too low? I used the same timings that the display advertised for 1080p except I ran it at twice the pixel clock (297 Mhz).

Using the CRU by ToastyX. At 122Hz it gives a pixel clock of 290.31MHz

Last edited:
Using the CRU by ToastyX. At 122Hz it gives a pixel clock of 290.31MHz

My 120hz mode is 297 Mhz. I think your timings were too tight which was probably causing the dropouts. Its probably better to be at 120hz rather than 122 so its sync'd with what the panel would actually display (well once the 39 inch actually starts doing 120hz).

My 120hz mode is 297 Mhz. I think your timings were too tight which was probably causing the dropouts. Its probably better to be at 120hz rather than 122 so its sync'd with what the panel would actually display (well once the 39 inch actually starts doing 120hz).

I'm pretty sure I was using the "LCD Standard" timings in the program, but I will double check to make sure. Thanks.

Anyone know if the Intel HD2500 graphics can support 3840x2160 via DP to HDMI adapter?

I want to pick up one of the 39's and the answer to this question is preventing me from ordering.

Anyone know if the Intel HD2500 graphics can support 3840x2160 via DP to HDMI adapter?

I want to pick up one of the 39's and the answer to this question is preventing me from ordering.

I think they max out at 2560x1600.

...there are a few limitations in resolutions and monitor connection types. Theoretically, a desktop system on an Ivy Bridge processor can offer three outs: the first one - a universal out (HDMI, DVI, VGA or DisplayPort) with maximum resolution of 1920x1200, the second one – a DisplayPort, HDMI or DVI with up to 1920x1200 resolution, and the third one – a DisplayPort supporting higher resolutions up to 2560x1600.

I think its very likely to work. I would give it over a 90% likelyhood. DP definitely has the bandwidth so at that point it just comes about support from the videocard as with the right active adapter it will just be seen as a displayport display so it won't have to do anything special.

People/manufacturer's state 2560x1600 as the highest resolution supported simply because that is the highest resolution display that was out at the time that they said that. Usually almost any video card (as long as it has enough video memory, which is probably like a 128 MB or 64 MB requirement at that resolution) can run 3840x2160. Most videocards these days have hardware limits of upwards of 16384x16834 and it just comes to bandwidth of the ports being able to support it and all displayport has enough bandwidth for 4k @ 30Hz.

FYI back in like 2006 I had a geforce gt 6600 AGP (pre PCI-E even). It listed the maximum digital resolution as 1920x1200. It worked fine with 2560x1600 displays as it had two dual-link DVI ports which also even allowed me to run at 3840x2400 on my 22 inch 4k display and could output 3840x2400@60Hz via 2x dual-link DVI. So we are talking a nvidia card from 2006 that could do it. I find it unlikely anything modern would not.

Hey houkouonchi, been following your various threads about this display. Thanks for all the hard work and testing!

I have a Mac Pro 2009 w/ the EVGA GTX 680 Mac edition (only has 1 mini-display port, but has a HDMI port as well). With OSX Mavericks, do you think that I'll be able to use the HDMI port to the 39"-50" Seiki?

I would like to reserve the one MiniDP for my 27" Cinema Display.

Thanks for your help!

Hey houkouonchi, been following your various threads about this display. Thanks for all the hard work and testing!

I have a Mac Pro 2009 w/ the EVGA GTX 680 Mac edition (only has 1 mini-display port, but has a HDMI port as well). With OSX Mavericks, do you think that I'll be able to use the HDMI port to the 39"-50" Seiki?

I would like to reserve the one MiniDP for my 27" Cinema Display.

Thanks for your help!

Yes if you run OS X Mavericks from what I have heard (mostly from people running macbook pro retina's with native HDMI) it should work fine. I don't know if MST works at all on OS X. If you had a problem you with HDMI you could (for sure works on linux/windows) buy a dp 1.2 splitter and drive both the 27 inch cinema display and the seiki off the same DP port. Gforce gtx 600 sereies should be DP 1.2 although the mobile one in my macbook is not but mobile graphics cards are usually different.

Of course I haven't heard of anyone using MST at all on mac os X even just to run two seperate displays. I know it doesn't do the spanning stuff for single displays with MST correctly.

Thank you for the quick reply! I just ordered the Seiki 39" and will report back once I get it hooked up. Love the DP splitter idea. Also, all the Accell DP to HDMI active adapters are on backorder (at the usual places), anyone have any ideas on an alternative? If not, I'll wait for the Accell while I test other things.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas/experience!

Thank you for the quick reply! I just ordered the Seiki 39" and will report back once I get it hooked up. Love the DP splitter idea. Also, all the Accell DP to HDMI active adapters are on backorder (at the usual places), anyone have any ideas on an alternative? If not, I'll wait for the Accell while I test other things.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas/experience!

AFIK Accel is the only one making that adapter. They/Bizlink (Same/joint company) were also the only ones who had a DP -> Dual-Link DVI adapter for quite some time as well. It took a while before any other company was making them (except apple).

You can try other monitors, but after doing some of my own experimenting and researching on the web, my conclusion is that this is not a problem of 30Hz or the monitor, but rather something screwy with windows.

For example, if you set the Seiki at 1080p @ 30Hz, you won't see the same lag you see in 4k.

If you google "Panasonic 4k lag" and read the review for people running windows, you'll see the same complaint of lagginess. GIZMODO say "lag like hell"

What I'm saying is that even if this monitor was 4k @ 120Hz, the lagginess might still be there because it might be something inherent in windows and not much to do with the refresh rate.

If anyone has a PS4 running at 4k, I'd like to hear your comments on whether there is noticeable lag at 4k compared to 1080p.

Last edited:
...post full of fail....

If there's lag, it's more likely to do with graphics drivers; but it could just as easily be in the display controllers, which are new for 4k. One of the Seiki models has issues with skipping odd frames during 120Hz operation at 1080p. Time is needed more than anything, note that Nvidia just posted a driver claiming an increase of up to 50% in SLI at 4k.

Also note that the PS4 doesn't do 4k anything.

If there's lag, it's more likely to do with graphics drivers; but it could just as easily be in the display controllers, which are new for 4k. One of the Seiki models has issues with skipping odd frames during 120Hz operation at 1080p. Time is needed more than anything, note that Nvidia just posted a driver claiming an increase of up to 50% in SLI at 4k.

Also note that the PS4 doesn't do 4k anything.

Thanks for the info on PS4. Shows how little I know about consoles.

In terms of graphics drivers, I've tried video cards from both Nvidia (GTX760) and AMD (HD7950). I've tried various version of drivers. I get the same results, slight lag at 4k, but no lag at 1080p. I've not tried the R290 series yet, but it's on my to-do list.

Also in gaming at 4k, with Vsync off, games are very playable IMO, so either windows defaults to VSYNC on for the desktop or something else is happening.

If it's a driver issue, then it's more likely that it's inherent in windows as it affects both AMD and Nvidia.

Overall though, my opinion is that the monitor was well worth it for me. The extra real-estate has been a huge productivity enabler.

I tried setting my desktop to 30Hz... that didn't last long :). Maybe it's how Windows handles 30Hz, as I found it quite laggy too.

For gaming, 30Hz wouldn't be bad for some games assuming no lag, but my primary game is BF4. That's a no-go there, if you can imagine.

For productivity work, I can definitely see the appeal, especially if it's a secondary monitor used only as a 'results' display. I could see the utility for a good number of productivity and content creation applications for sure.

I tried setting my desktop to 30Hz... that didn't last long :). Maybe it's how Windows handles 30Hz, as I found it quite laggy too.

For gaming, 30Hz wouldn't be bad for some games assuming no lag, but my primary game is BF4. That's a no-go there, if you can imagine.

For productivity work, I can definitely see the appeal, especially if it's a secondary monitor used only as a 'results' display. I could see the utility for a good number of productivity and content creation applications for sure.

IMHO no first-person-shooters are ever acceptable at 30Hz. A game like Command and Conquer: counter-strike; however, is (IMHO). Its amazing the difference that even going from 30 Hz -> 41 Hz is. On my old vp2290b I spent $600 on matrox triple head 2 go adapters as nothing had 4 ports back then and it allowed me to drive the vp2290b off 2x dual link DVI instead of 4x single-link and bumped the refresh rate from 30Hz to 41Hz (60hz input). It literally made the difference between quake being completely unplayable (i sucked compared to normal) vs being somewhat playable I just did a bit worse.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on PS4. Shows how little I know about consoles.

In terms of graphics drivers, I've tried video cards from both Nvidia (GTX760) and AMD (HD7950). I've tried various version of drivers. I get the same results, slight lag at 4k, but no lag at 1080p. I've not tried the R290 series yet, but it's on my to-do list.

Also in gaming at 4k, with Vsync off, games are very playable IMO, so either windows defaults to VSYNC on for the desktop or something else is happening.

If it's a driver issue, then it's more likely that it's inherent in windows as it affects both AMD and Nvidia.

Overall though, my opinion is that the monitor was well worth it for me. The extra real-estate has been a huge productivity enabler.

I know windows does some weird stuff when it comes to Aero (possibly even with it disabled)? I know on atleast ATI cards you have to have like atleast 20-24Hz or things won't render right/wont update and you basically have to disable aero or the machine wont work at all. Basically couldn't get it working when i didn' thave the right active adapter at 17Hz but its ok at 30Hz. Also ok on my T221 at 24 Hz.

Hi all,

Just got my 39" Seiki 4k hooked up to my Mac Pro. Wanted to report on it in case it helps someone with similar specs/plans.

2009 Mac Pro Nehalem 2.26 8-Core
32GB Ram (4GB Sticks DDR3 ECC 1066Mhz)
EVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition
256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (OSX 10.8.5)
250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (Bootcamp Win7)

After haggling with firmware upgrade (and a successful call into customer support on first try!), updated to latest Seiki firmware from website. (version 20130828 With Backlight And color TEMP)

Win7 Bootcamp:
Plugged in monitor to HDMI port on the GTX 680 Mac Edition (using 3rd party HDMI cable I had laying around, not the one shipped w/Seiki). Monitor was immediately recognized at 3840x2160 @ 30hz. Turned off vsync in global Nvidia controls and mouse feels less sluggish. I also have Asus 1080p monitor running off 1 DVI connection at the same time, no problems. Will be hooking up my 27" Cinema Display via MiniDisplay port later today for testing as second/third monitor.

Results: Amazing resolution, needs calibrating (will do that later today). 30hz is wacky, but definitely usable. No blanking, no 4 hour auto-shut off, on nearly six hours straight, no issues. Decided to torture myself with a round of Planetside2 & BF4 in 4k @ 30hz. Ugghhh, but still fun to try (and remarkably beautiful at 4k). Planetside2 gave me 40-60 fps with occlusion/fog shadows off (the motion blur helped smooth the image a bit). BF4 gave me 60-80fps at low, 40-60fps at medium, and 20-30 at high.Ultra was, of course nearly non-functional. Even with good fps, the 30hz thing makes shooters hard. I'll need to set up custom 1080p timings later this week to get that working, the scaler on the Seiki is nasty!

OSX 10.8.5:
Used Tom Horvath's HDMI patch, and rebooted.
http://code.google.com/p/mac-pixel-clock-patch/wiki/Documentation
Hooked the Seiki up via HDMI port of GTX 680 Mac Edition, same HDMI cable as before. Installed SwitchResX and 3048x2160@30hz was recognized as an option under "current resolutions" tab in the SwitchResX Pref Pane. I didn't have to build it from scratch.

Everything seems to be functioning well, no blanking, no weirdness. 4k resolution is beautiful, but needs calibration. 1080p movie rips play well. Downloaded 4k footage & UHD wallpapers look great! Browsing is delightful at this rez.

Real estate in FCP7, Premiere/After Effects/Photoshop CS6, Davinci Resolve 10 is amazing! Video playback looks acceptable for editing/graphics—living with non-accurate color, of course. Video with a lot of motion is susceptible to the 30hz tearing.

Mouse lag in 10.8.5 is similar to Win7 w/vsync on. Will try disabling vsync later today in OS X and see if that helps (a few tutorials online suggest ways of doing it using xcode). Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I will be creating an OS X Maverick's partition later today and testing the HDMI port without Tom's patch. Will update on that and anything else I encounter.

I also ordered an Accell active DP to HDMI adapter, and even though it was back-ordered, I got a shipping confirmation for Friday, so it looks like they're still pumping them out in relatively short order.

Now back to re-reading all the threads on this monitor to make sure I don't miss calibration/timing info going forward! Thank you Tom Horvath for the awesome patch, and houkouonchi for all your testing and sharing of info!

If anyone has any recommendations for me (calibration, timing, vsync stuff, anything!) please let me know as I'd love to get this up and running right! ^_^ Sorry for the long post, hope this info helps/inspires...

UPDATE: (OSX 10.9 Mavericks)
Just got done putting on OSX 10.9. It sees the Seiki 39" automatically 3840x2160 @30hz coming from HDMI port on GTX 680 Mac Edition, no patch or SwitchResX necessary. Mouse lag seems better, but not by much. Haven't had time to try anti-vsync hacks through xcode. Unfortunately CUDA and webdrivers are busted in 10.9, so back to 10.8.5 I go! (OS X 10.9 native Nvidia drivers work fine if you don't need CUDA acceleration in Adobe suite or Resolve).

Last edited:
Excellent report, Jaroch.

I've temporarily disconnected my 30" Crossover (Korean 2560 * 1600 'Dell' clone), and just have my Seiki as my single monitor (shock, horror, I haven't been single-monitor on my home machine since 2002 or so!).

(SLI GTX570, latest Nvidia BIOS, released yesterday, and the one before that for a week or so).

I've still had the occasional black-out, but frequency is down to a few times a day, not many times a day.

I've also written in to Seiki's customer help to see if there are any further BIOS fixes (I already have the August BIOS installed on my monitor) to address the screen-blanking issues; they sent me a case number, and advised they're looking into my ticket, but I hold no great hopes.

When the monitor is solid, it's excellent. 30Hz is a pain in the butt for many games, but when they can't perform, switching to 1920 * 1080 is still a stunningly good experience.

I play Minecraft in native-resolution, it's fine :)

Those of you into Fractals should instantly download xaos, and run it at 15,000 calculations and go zooming around, it's pretty special.

Recent price-drops have really boosted visibility of the Seiki, both in the forums and on Facebook.

Discover card has a price protection benefit and I just made sure they are accepting black friday deals.

So I got this TV from Amazon (free 2 day shipping) with 5% cashback and then I will get it price matched to the sears ad at $750.
Making the final cost of it $712.5. Or actually even lower if they base cashback on amazon's price and not the price after adjustment.
Seems like a good deal to me! :)

Don't have prime but want free 2 day shipping? Perhaps you have an AMEX card. AMEX gives out a free shop runner membership and this TV is on tigerdirect. Buy it with a Discover card and ship it with shop runner and then do price protection to the sears ad (or any lowest price you can find).

Other cards also have price protection but not all of them accept black friday deals.

Last edited:
So over at overclock I found out that possibly newer seiki panels have better scalers (I believe scaling happens at the TCON so i doubt firmware updates would change that, but maybe not...):

http://www.overclock.net/t/1442986/...ying-with-other-custom-stuff/10#post_21239382

Anyway I still think the scaling is not very good but it is atleast not losing half its resolution like mine is. You can see a huge difference between my panel and his and yet again a huge difference (IMHO) comparing to the software scaling vs seiki's.

Discover card has a price protection benefit and I just made sure they are accepting black friday deals.

So I got this TV from Amazon (free 2 day shipping) with 5% cashback and then I will get it price matched to the sears ad at $750.
Making the final cost of it $712.5. Or actually even lower if they base cashback on amazon's price and not the price after adjustment.
Seems like a good deal to me! :)

Don't have prime but want free 2 day shipping? Perhaps you have an AMEX card. AMEX gives out a free shop runner membership and this TV is on tigerdirect. Buy it with a Discover card and ship it with shop runner and then do price protection to the sears ad (or any lowest price you can find).

Other cards also have price protection but not all of them accept black friday deals.

Wow man that is an awesome deal. Near the price the 39 inch retails at. My dad just bought a second 39 inch for home (his third 39 inch seiki now) and I have a 39 + 50 so between us we have 5 seiki's. I definitely want to wait for a 60Hz for the next one I buy but overall I have been very happy. I would just be *THAT* much happier if the 39 inch would do 120Hz its the only thing keeping me back from rating it as being completely awesome.

I just got the 39 inch Version off Amazon. I'm having some trouble getting it to work in either linux (debian testing) or windows xp at full resolution. I have a gtx770 and the windows drivers claim that the display does not support that resolution when I try to set it in the "custom resolutions" panel. Linux refuses to add the modeline, both one calculated with cvt and one taken from the amazon reviews for that display. Help anyone?

Drivers are up to date in both system s of course.

Last edited:
I just got the 39 inch Version off Amazon. I'm having some trouble getting it to work in either linux (debian testing) or windows xp at full resolution. I have a gtx770 and the windows drivers claim that the display does not support that resolution when I try to set it in the "custom resolutions" panel. Linux refuses to add the modeline, both one calculated with cvt and one taken from the amazon reviews for that display. Help anyone?

Drivers are up to date in both system s of course.

You need like atleast 319.23 on linux. Under device section you need:

Option "ModeValidation" "AllowNon60hzmodesDFPModes, NoEDIDDFPMaxSizeCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoMaxSizeCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowNonEdidModes, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidModes"
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "HDMI-0"

And under monitor:

VertRefresh 10 - 250
HorizSync 5 - 200

# 3840x2160@30Hz
Modeline "3840x2160_30" 296.70 3840 4016 4104 4400 2160 2168 2178 2250 +hsync +vsync

# 3840x2160@25Hz
Modeline "3840x2160_25" 297.00 3840 4896 4984 5280 2160 2168 2178 2250 +hsync +vsync

# 3840x2160@24Hz
Modeline "3840x2160_24" 296.75 3840 5116 5204 5500 2160 2168 2178 2250 +hsync +vsync

okay, got it to work on linux. The trick is to set
Option "ModeValidation" "HDMI-0: NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck"

in the device section in xorg.conf. This solves the problem with the incorrectly reported maximum pixel clock in the driver and 4k becomes selectable in nvidia-settings, xrandr and other resolution switching tools.

Still need to figure out windows though. Could this be an xp problem? Seems like everybody else didn't run into problems, but everybody else seems to be on win7 at least.

oops, thanks, apparently my question was answered while I was writing...

I thought maybe it was related to the 65-foot HDMI cable but on windows with a geforce gtx 670 the display was not detected at all on windows (couldn't even extend desktop at all). I had to use the active DP 1.1 -> HDMI 1.4 adapter I have in order to get it working on windows.

Also if they ever fix the >120Hz refresh rate on the 39 inch (or if you wanna verify the issue on yours) Here are the 1080p@120Hz and 720p@240hz modelines:

Modeline "1280x720" 297 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync
Modeline "1920x1080" 297 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync

After playing with this for a while, I'm starting to think I might actually go back to my trusty old dell 30inch. The color reproduction on the Seiki is truly terrible, and I have neither the patience nor the equipment to calibrate it. Plus the 30Hz annoy me a lot more on the desktop than I thought they would, mouse movements feel quite laggy even in Linux.

Plus if I keep this, I will need to buy a much better still camera, the noise on the old one is really visible at 4K... ;)

I agree that the flaws outweigh the advantages for me:

1. 30hz at 4K.
2. Lag is terrible. Firmware update reduced this, but it is still about 40ms.
3. Forced chroma downsampling even in RGB. Colored text is blurry as shit and shimmers.
4. Firmware still not updated for real 120hz at 1080P. Given up hope on this.
5. Upscaling sucks ass, as demonstrated in many pics above. It can't even scale 1080P properly by pixel doubling.
6. Still no proper power-save support. You have to manually power it on from sleep.

These flaws could be overlooked if you are mostly doing static desk work, like word processing or spreadsheets. However for a general purpose monitor, I've moved back to my old trusty Catleap that can overclock to 120hz and still has a decent resolution at 2560x1440. For gaming, I'll be using the 240hz Eizo panel at 1080P.

If anyone wants to get the 39" Seiki for cheap, I'll be listing a used one, no dead pixels, via amazon, as soon as they're done sorting it into inventory.

I agree that the flaws outweigh the advantages for me:

1. 30hz at 4K.
2. Lag is terrible. Firmware update reduced this, but it is still about 40ms.
3. Forced chroma downsampling even in RGB. Colored text is blurry as shit and shimmers.
4. Firmware still not updated for real 120hz at 1080P. Given up hope on this.
5. Upscaling sucks ass, as demonstrated in many pics above. It can't even scale 1080P properly by pixel doubling.
6. Still no proper power-save support. You have to manually power it on from sleep.

These flaws could be overlooked if you are mostly doing static desk work, like word processing or spreadsheets. However for a general purpose monitor, I've moved back to my old trusty Catleap that can overclock to 120hz and still has a decent resolution at 2560x1440. For gaming, I'll be using the 240hz Eizo panel at 1080P.

If anyone wants to get the 39" Seiki for cheap, I'll be listing a used one, no dead pixels, via amazon, as soon as they're done sorting it into inventory.

1/2 I don't really have a problem with for desktop use although it would be nice if its better.

3. No idea what your talking about on that.

4. The VP guy finally said their engineers weren't able to reproduce (WHAT?) and I am still in talks with him. I offered to go down to their HQ and demonstrate in person. Havne't heard back.

5. This works just fine on the 39 inch I use at work. It goes to sleep all the time and when i hit a button on my keyboard it comes out of sleep without any issues. That being said it does take quite a bit longer to come on compared to the other two monitors being its a TV and takes a little while to boot.

Regarding the chroma downsampling problem, I posted pics somewhere in this huge thread, but it's most easily visible looking at red text. Also try moving the window while looking at the red text and you'll see the pixels jittering around due to the chroma downsampling.

Try reading this text on your Seiki and tell me it's not a blurry mess

Regarding the chroma downsampling problem, I posted pics somewhere in this huge thread, but it's most easily visible looking at red text. Also try moving the window while looking at the red text and you'll see the pixels jittering around due to the chroma downsampling.

On my Seiki it's perfect (red on black). Back when I was using my Sony Bravia KDL324000 (32" 1920 * 1080), RED on BLACK was -terrible-, always, and I loved my Sony screen to bits. The Seiki has very nice red-on-black at native resolution, so perhaps your set was faulty?

Looks just fine to me.... But I am running linux so probably different font aliasing than you have.

Here is a PNG of that section on what it looks like on my browser:

seiki_font.png

Physical picture:

Maybe I see what he is talking about really looking at the pixels I see like the Y and O in your are joined and stuff. if that is what he is talking about .

Back