Seiki SE42UM 42-Inch 4K Ultra HD 60Hz LED TV (Black) is $279 @Amazon

mmm... i'm finally used to the 30hz of my 39 now....

it only took me like 6 months :(

Woot was selling it via Amazon for $279 this morning. They probably ran out. ir0nw0lf has you covered though it seems. ;)

What type of panel? IPS. PV?

S-MVA most likely, same panel they used in the SE42UGT.

Word is they're pretty much the same TV, the only difference being the streaming features on the GT.

Yes, but is it any good as a Desktop monitor?
I'd say somewhat good. Doesn't do 4:4:4. Might be acceptable depending upon your usage, but definitely not as good as a typical monitor. I used one for a while and stopped using it. I've got a 34" ultra wide right now..

does anyone know if this will be good for photographers? Just need a big monitor to edit photos and would prefer something that looks decent :)

Honestly no, you wouldn't want this for editing photos. With the combination of the panel type, the gamma shift associated with said panel type, and it not offering 4:4:4 chroma it just doesn't make for an accurate setup for image editing. In my opinion you would be better off searching for an IPS (LG panel), PLS (Samsung panel), or AHVA (AUO Panel) - these all have somewhat poorer black levels but have much better color accuracy. Unfortunately that usually means spending a bit more money - there's a reason why these TVs are dirt cheap.

However if you, like some of us here, are more interested in the display's deeper black levels and aren't bothered by the downsides of the panel type (gamma shift) or the lack of 4:4:4 chroma then this display might be right up your alley. This usually means you're more interested in games and video content than 2D desktop usage and color accuracy.

I have the SE42UGT (identical to the SE42UMT except for smart TV features) and I can say without a doubt that it's not suited for photo editing, and I do a fair amount of that kind of work. It's totally worth it to me though because movies and games look pretty great. :D

Back