Seiki SE42UGT - 42" 4K 60hz - Hhgregg - $221.61 shipped!

has it been confirmed that these wont do 4:4:4?

Yes.

Although they report via EDID that they'll accept a signal with 4:4:4 chroma, the display controller logic is converting any 4:4:4 chroma signal back to 4:2:2 before it's sent to the panel. It's looking more and more like this was purposefully done to further separate this model from their professional lineup... I say this based on observation of public response from Seiki on various venues.

Maybe Seiki will cave and release a firmware that allows full 4:4:4 chroma sometime in the future.
Maybe some enterprising coder / hacker will figure out how to enable 4:4:4 chroma on the set's current firmware.

Who knows. $250 is still a killer deal even with the reduced chroma capability.

What do you use 2 TVs for at once?

Research and writing. Trading - charts and platform (ToS + IBKR). The possibilities are endless.

Another forum I saw an individual with two or three of the Seiki 39" for professional writing. He needed a lot of different documents open at once and it turns out it is a lot easier to do it with more real estate vice alt-tabing.

Yes.

Although they report via EDID that they'll accept a signal with 4:4:4 chroma, the display controller logic is converting any 4:4:4 chroma signal back to 4:2:2 before it's sent to the panel. It's looking more and more like this was purposefully done to further separate this model from their professional lineup... I say this based on observation of public response from Seiki on various venues.

Maybe Seiki will cave and release a firmware that allows full 4:4:4 chroma sometime in the future.
Maybe some enterprising coder / hacker will figure out how to enable 4:4:4 chroma on the set's current firmware.

Who knows. $250 is still a killer deal even with the reduced chroma capability.

My thoughts exactly. That's why I figured pretty quick that this was going to be the next budget platform after the 39" retires. It's pretty versatile thus far.

42 is a bit small for my taste. The 55 inch is like 400 bucks. Anyone familiar with the 55? Any good?

I've been debating on this but the non-4:4:4 chroma would likely drive me insane.

Still a great deal for those that could live without 4:4:4 chroma.

I've been debating on this but the non-4:4:4 chroma would likely drive me insane.

Still a great deal for those that could live without 4:4:4 chroma.

thats pretty mush where im at. its a hell of a deal, but i sit in front of it reading text for probably 5-6hrs a day. if i cant get clean and clear text, its going to drive me insane.

suppose ill have to keep waitng for a sale on that 40" ju7500. and CES is next week, maybe theyll have something new on the horizon thats worth waiting for.

What do you use 2 TVs for at once?

There are a plethora of reasons as to why you would. The better questions is why wouldn't you?

Writing, trading, and research are all reasons why I use 2-3 monitors. For gaming, which sadly I don't do a lot of anymore, also benefits from a multi monitor set up, entertainment, I normally have a couple different football or sporting events going on at the same time, and for a wow factor as well.

Thanks but what everyone is asking for is a close/macro shot of the last two rows.

Here ya go...
tqbfjotld.jpg

Also, here's a super close one of a pure white screen for RGB panel confirmation...
panel.jpg

Unfortunately, looks like mine has a spec of dust or something in the screen almost perfectly smack dab in the middle. Fuck me.

HHGregg website seems to have some bogus phone number on file for me. When I called them to ask why my TV hadn't shipped, they said that my transaction was denied because of the wrong phone number. They said that they tried to call me with the number on file. When I asked the CSR to look at my account and explain why the number on my account is different from the order form she had no explanation. Why didn't they use the number on file for my account? No explanation. Also I never got my 10% off coupon. I asked for them to send it again and still nothing.

I'll take this as a sign of divine intervention. :)

Definitely displaying 4:2:2 according to Paria's picture, but I'm still quite encouraged by it being a real RGB (or RBG in this case) panel and not a RGBW.

Mine should be arriving tomorrow and I'm excited to compare it to this LG 43UF6430 that has an IPS RGBW panel. After spending a month with this LG I've discovered two things:

1. The extra white subpixel does obnoxious things to the contrast and white balance when you're trying to use it with a PC. It eventually leads to a feeling of just never getting things tuned quite right.
2. The pixel staggering that LG does to try and compensate for the extra white subpixel does even worse things for text than a traditional RGB panel with reduced chroma. It's almost like a hardware sub-pixel font rendering, but not in a good way. And it affects ALL text, not just certain color combinations like with 4:2:2 chroma.

I figure that even with 4:2:2 chroma the Seiki should be a stellar set in comparison. Really, how often are you going to be looking at 1 pixel thick red text on a blue background or vice versa? Yes, I'm aware that certain other color combinations are affected to a much lesser extent, but even so......

I'm actually more worried about panel quality, build quality, and hardware reliability. Just from a cursory parts scan on previous Seiki models I'm seeing that they share an alarming number of components with Funai and their associated rebrands (RCA, Emerson, Polaroid, Coby, Westinghouse, APEX, Element.... *shudder*) - I may want to check out a SquareTrade warranty or something.

Definitely displaying 4:2:2 according to Paria's picture, but I'm still quite encouraged by it being a real RGB (or RBG in this case) panel and not a RGBW.

Mine should be arriving tomorrow and I'm excited to compare it to this LG 43UF6430 that has an IPS RGBW panel. After spending a month with this LG I've discovered two things:

1. The extra white subpixel does obnoxious things to the contrast and white balance when you're trying to use it with a PC. It eventually leads to a feeling of just never getting things tuned quite right.
2. The pixel staggering that LG does to try and compensate for the extra white subpixel does even worse things for text than a traditional RGB panel with reduced chroma. It's almost like a hardware sub-pixel font rendering, but not in a good way. And it affects ALL text, not just certain color combinations like with 4:2:2 chroma.

I figure that even with 4:2:2 chroma the Seiki should be a stellar set in comparison. Really, how often are you going to be looking at 1 pixel thick red text on a blue background or vice versa? Yes, I'm aware that certain other color combinations are affected to a much lesser extent, but even so......

I'm actually more worried about panel quality, build quality, and hardware reliability. Just from a cursory parts scan on previous Seiki models I'm seeing that they share an alarming number of components with Funai and their associated rebrands (RCA, Emerson, Polaroid, Coby, Westinghouse, APEX, Element.... *shudder*) - I may want to check out a SquareTrade warranty or something.

Build quality on mine was actually quite nice. No dead pixels or dust anywhere on the screen either.

Just from a cursory parts scan on previous Seiki models I'm seeing that they share an alarming number of components with Funai and their associated rebrands (RCA, Emerson, Polaroid, Coby, Westinghouse, APEX, Element.... *shudder*) - I may want to check out a SquareTrade warranty or something.

Seiki Digital is owned by Tsinghua Tongfang CN, they also make TVs for Element, Westinghouse and some other marketing brands, but not all you listed. It uses the boards made by CN companies.
For this TV, FCCID: 2ACWISE42UMT

Funai Japan seems to be a separate brand franchise. However, lower end brands tend to either fail within 1st year covered by factory warranty, or after 3--5 years of use depending on daily workload, so not certain that the extended warranty will do any good. Some monitor flickering can happen with non-certified lower quality HDMI cables, and doesn't constitute developing monitor failure or defect.

Looks like they just raised the price on this to 279.00. The fact that they also never sent my signup coupon makes it a dealbreaker :(

Looks like they just raised the price on this to 279.00. The fact that they also never sent my signup coupon makes it a dealbreaker :(

You have to call their online orders number for your 10% off coupon. Make sure that you get the person's name as the dummies will send it to them but not you. The CSR called me today with my 10% off coupon.

Anybody else find that the Tint adjustment in the regular display menu is grayed out and changing the one in the service menu doesn't do anything. Weird.

Anybody else find that the Tint adjustment in the regular display menu is grayed out and changing the one in the service menu doesn't do anything. Weird.

If you're connected via HDMI and in PC mode I wouldn't expect it to do anything, most displays will lock out tint adjustments when used that way. A lot of them will lock out color adjustments and picture 'enhancements' as well.

i had one for 2 weeks, after 2 weeks it started doing this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r29bKjAWwy4&feature=youtu.be

would you try another one?

It it actually powering off and on in that video, or is it just flashing...

Checked all the usual stuff? Power cable, tried a different HDMI cable, etc, etc?

Someone has to get the bad ones I suppose.... I'd definitely try an exchange.

.....aaaand I'm definitely reconsidering that SquareTrade warranty for mine thanks to your post. :D

It it actually powering off and on in that video, or is it just flashing...

Checked all the usual stuff? Power cable, tried a different HDMI cable, etc, etc?

Someone has to get the bad ones I suppose.... I'd definitely try an exchange.

.....aaaand I'm definitely reconsidering that SquareTrade warranty for mine thanks to your post. :D

it wasn't powering off, i guess cell phone wasn't fast enough to change between the dark and light cycle.

this started about 2 weeks after buying the TV, and usually started 1-2 hours when TV was on.

what it was doing was:
normal picture
colorful snow/static
black
normal picture
colorful snow/static
black
etc....

tried 3 different sources, bought 4 different hdmi cables all 2.0 certified.

this started about 2 weeks after buying the TV, and usually started 1-2 hours when TV was on.
tried 3 different sources, bought 4 different hdmi cables all 2.0 certified.

Without proper diag it was premature to ship it back. It may hint of overheating issue. Does it do the same with other sources, when playing TV channels?

What's your PC GPU model & settings, Windows and Media Player resolution, scaling & up-conversion settings, TV scaling and mode settings? Did you measure GPU chip temperature with GPU tools, also CPU and GPU loads at playback, is hardware acceleration On? Also try to place the TV and PC far from heat sources like a sunny window or heating radiator.

Send it back for a replacement. You got a dud! Sorry dude...

So far the TV is holding up just fine. I don't have an DP hub so I'm suffering on 30hz until I figure something out here. The primary monitor is going to get an active DP to HDMI 2.0 conversion but the secondary will stay 30hz. I only read on the secondary anyways so no big deal.

Seiki TV are JUNK..

Why thank you for providing a descriptive and detailed insight into your first hand and extensive experience with this brand of TV. I sure wish I had the benefit of your sage advice before I made this purchase! Honestly, you are so good at this you should do product reviews for a website or something!

Ahem.... now honestly, I'm not expecting much. I'm sure it's no more junk than everything else out there. 90% of the TV market is rebadged black plastic crap filled with generic components designed with corner cutting as a priority. The last two brands you can buy and expect a modicum of build quality and longevity are Samsung and LG, and to be honest LG is headed further and further south every year. Everything else is a crap shoot...

But really, c'mon. If you're going to inject shit like that into a thread at least take the time to back it up with .... something. :p

I ordered two of these as tv's for family members. The first one came yesterday but apparently had been clipped by a careless forklift operator - the screen was shattered. The second is now up and running. The picture is fine but as it is only 1080i directv signal that doesn't mean much. Unfortunately the best video card I currently have available is a 650 ti so I'm not going to be able to test 4k much, wireless connection was simple. The streaming services seem to work fine but we won't be using them. The built-in sound quality is less than spectacular but the volume range is odd; 10% is about as high as is comfortable. I'll try testing it out on my desktop when I get an HDMI 2.0 cable.

I ordered two of these as tv's for family members. The first one came yesterday but apparently had been clipped by a careless forklift operator - the screen was shattered. The second is now up and running. The picture is fine but as it is only 1080i directv signal that doesn't mean much. Unfortunately the best video card I currently have available is a 650 ti so I'm not going to be able to test 4k much, wireless connection was simple. The streaming services seem to work fine but we won't be using them. The built-in sound quality is less than spectacular but the volume range is odd; 10% is about as high as is comfortable. I'll try testing it out on my desktop when I get an HDMI 2.0 cable.

You should be able to test 4k, just not at 60hz, no?

Sucks about the first set... my box has a little hole in it and I'm hoping someone didn't stab it or something and break the screen. Won't have time to check it out until tomorrow....

I hooked this up at to the 650ti as a test. My observations from a very short check.

4k images looked good at 4k resolution.
Oddly windows 8.1 still detects native resolution for the monitor as 1920x1080.
Both chrome and firefox seem to scale unexpectedly when moving between the 1920x1200 monitor and the 4k monitor. Instead of maintaining the same window size the window is proportionally enlarged/shrunk when moving windows between the two. I don't know if this is because of the monitor, the os or the browsers.
Scaling down the the text size within the browser window resulted in blurred text. I only tried white on black and black on white. I didn't really mess around with that enough to see if it was fixable.
I'll check a bit more when the second one and hdmi2.0 cables arrive.
My primary video card burned out a month back (I've had bad luck with MSI Branded video cards The only two I've owned both went bad shortly after warranty expiration) and I'd hoped to put off buying a new one until Pascal comes along so no real game tests are likely.

Both chrome and firefox seem to scale unexpectedly when moving between the 1920x1200 monitor and the 4k monitor. Instead of maintaining the same window size the window is proportionally enlarged/shrunk when moving windows between the two. I don't know if this is because of the monitor, the os or the browsers.

It should be keeping the windows the same size pixel-wise and as a factor of the display scaling. The windows will be a different size because the monitors have a different DPI and/or scaling factor.

Burnt out Video Cards:
AMD's latest drivers for their cards has this auto fan control nonsense. My card was burning hot and then I read that it won't kick on the fans until 60*C! The fans don't kick on until 35% which tells me that they are doing PWM fan control vice DC. Mine is set at 50% manual fan control right now. I'm sure fans not running is "quieter" but I barely notice the GPU fans. I'm positive that running the card at 50-60idle with no fan is not doing wonders for the life expectancy of the card.

The TV:
The DVI-D port on my video card is not HDCP certified so when I did DVI-D to HDMI my setup is now non-HDCP compliant. Amazon Prime no longer streams HD video to my setup. I'm sure if I take off my DVI-D connection my setup will be once again HDCP compliant. The HDMI ports are HDCP certified but the DVI-D port on the TV might also be incompatible for HDCP. Just make sure you do a a straight HDMI to HDMI connection. I think a DP->HDMI setup might also be deemed HDCP non-compliant as well. This HDCP nonsense is irritating.

Burnt out Video Cards:
AMD's latest drivers for their cards has this auto fan control nonsense. My card was burning hot and then I read that it won't kick on the fans until 60*C! The fans don't kick on until 35% which tells me that they are doing PWM fan control vice DC. Mine is set at 50% manual fan control right now. I'm sure fans not running is "quieter" but I barely notice the GPU fans. I'm positive that running the card at 50-60idle with no fan is not doing wonders for the life expectancy of the card.

Meh, 60C is no big deal.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just waiting on the Club3D active adapter now -- supposedly coming in tomorrow. Hoping for the best!

Back