Seiki SE42UGT - 42" 4K 60hz - Hhgregg - $221.61 shipped!

People are saying this TV is good for gaming, but isn't 24ms input lag really high?

People are saying this TV is good for gaming, but isn't 24ms input lag really high?

Maybe not a "pro gamer", but it should be fine for the vast majority of us "casual gamers" (I define casual as being not a pro or someone who doesn't make 10ms or less a priority in their life).

Here's a nice article about input lag (and how it's tested):

TFTcentral's input lag testing guide

Using their classification, this TV goes under their "Class 2", which they define as "moderate lag, but should be fine for many gamers". Seems about right.

If you need further clarification about the difference between input lag, response rate, and refresh time, just check out their monitor reviews.

Maybe not a "pro gamer", but it should be fine for the vast majority of us "casual gamers" (I define casual as being not a pro or someone who doesn't make 10ms or less a priority in their life).

Here's a nice article about input lag (and how it's tested):

TFTcentral's input lag testing guide

Using their classification, this TV goes under their "Class 2", which they define as "moderate lag, but should be fine for many gamers". Seems about right.

If you need further clarification about the difference between input lag, response rate, and refresh time, just check out their monitor reviews.

I say 35ms MAX for play-able response time on a tv.

Anything after that and you will see horrible ghosting. IMO anyway.

I say 35ms MAX for play-able response time on a tv.

Anything after that and you will see horrible ghosting. IMO anyway.

Ooooh lord....

Input lag and pixel response time are two completely different things.

Not really, in fact that's on the low side for a TV.

While a display that's made specifically for use as a PC monitor will generally have input lag under 20ms (not counting displays marketed towards enthusiasts andf gamers), most TVs hover in the 50 - 120ms range due to the additional logic added for image processing (auto contrast, noise reduction, motion enhancement, etc). While a decent TV will alllow you to turn most of that processing off the input lag is still typically more than a dedicated purpose made monitor, usually 20 - 50ms which is fine for console gamers.

I'm still not completely sold on the 24ms figure quoted in the OP for the SE42UGT. I wish I had an old CRT laying around to get a real measurement for everyone.

Last edited:
Have had the TV for about a week. Using it with my NVIDIA Shield TV with an HDMI 2.0 cable for 4k 60Hz greatness. I've also used the Gamestream with no problems at all. Typical network lag but the TV is fine and definitely playable for slower paced games. Using the moonlight android app I will have to try the 4K 60FPS option soon. I have to say for the money this is a great value.

I don't know if any problems will arise in the future but for now I'm loving the TV.

I also believe this TV has a built in scaler if I'm not mistaken. I ran it in 1080P 60Hz via the NVIDIA shield and the picture was almost as clear as running it in 4k 60Hz natively.

I also believe this TV has a built in scaler if I'm not mistaken. I ran it in 1080P 60Hz via the NVIDIA shield and the picture was almost as clear as running it in 4k 60Hz natively.

Yep. If it didn't, non-native resolutions either wouldn't show at all or wouldn't be scaled to fit the screen. Pretty much all TVs are going to have a scaler.

I received the replacement TV today. It looked fine appeared brand new and unopened. All original plastic. I turned it on it started up but the left side of the screen was bad. Huge distortion filled 60% of the screen on the left side. The glass is fine but something behind it is broken. UPS will pick up on Monday. I spoke with HHGregg again. No surprise. No replacement this time and to be honest I'm worn out fighting about it. This has not been a good experience.

I can't get mine to work do 4k@60hz. The screen had green lines and drops the image.

It doesn't work for my PC or Shield TV, both work with my Samsung 6400 series.

I can't get mine to work do 4k@60hz. The screen had green lines and drops the image.

Try a different HDMI cable.

I've used 3 different cables, different inputs, and made sure they were all set to 2.0 and not 1.4. I'll be returning it tomorrow.

Definitely sounds like you had bad luck on it, especially if even power-cycling on/off your system doesn't work (last-ditch thing to do).

Years ago we bought my son an LG 47" LCD TV. After we got it I was looking at specs and it said the response time was 8ms which people were saying was too high for gaming. Is the 24ms listed for this TV different? Are we talking about 2 different things?

Thought only displayport did 60hz and HDMI was 30hz.

HDMI 2.0 supports 4k@60Hz (or, to be technical, 3840x2160 @ 60Hz -- just do a Google search).

For this TV, if you don't have a HDMI 2.0 port on your video card (like me), you get an DP 1.2-HDMI 2.0 UHD active adapter (I'm using the Club3D one) and use a 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 cable with it, and make sure that this TV is set to HDMI 2.0 mode. No tricks or secrets. :p

I ran it in 1080P 60Hz via the NVIDIA shield and the picture was almost as clear as running it in 4k 60Hz natively.

It does have a built in scaler, but it can be really quirky sometimes when using it with a PC.

I've switched to 1080p (or 720p) many times and it will not scale, ie the non-scaled image will be in the center of the screen. Using the scaling setting in the 'System' menu (or the aspect ratio button on the remote) and cycling through the settings back to 'Just Scan' seems to set things right though and the built in scaler is actually quite nice.

Come to think of it, you'd think 'Just Scan' wouldn't enable the built in scaler at all. *shrug*

My replacement TV got delivered today and just got it setup. Appears to be flawless so far!

I will say when I first changed my Shield to 4k 60Hz the TV did flicker a few times but its been perfectly fine ever since.

Been playing a few hours of Dying Light with the Shield controller and the input lag is really low @ 1080P 60Hz. Not bad at all very playable.

If anyone cares this is my setup for lowest input lag using the Shield TV. I have my Shield TV plugged into my TV with an HDMI 2.0 cable. I also have another 20ft HDMI 1.4 cable plugged into my GTX 780. I launch the game from the moonlight Android app on the Shield. It's basically the same thing as game stream except more reliable and you can play audio through the local PC. This is important because when I play Dying Light on my TV, I switch to the GTX 780 input so I don't have to deal with input lag over the network. Even though my Shield is wired the lag is still noticeable.

Only thing I have to do is make sure I switch my default audio device to the HDMI on the NVIDIA card before I play and its good. Great lag free experience with good ol' lazy bed gaming except I have the full power of my PC.

Try unplugging all your hdmi connections and doing a factory reset in the service menu. Mine was going to green lines/green screen on all inputs after watching youtube videos and it seems to have fixed it.

Try unplugging all your hdmi connections and doing a factory reset in the service menu. Mine was going to green lines/green screen on all inputs after watching youtube videos and it seems to have fixed it.

I went ahead and returned it getting a samsung 40un6500. The picture is much better, and it works. It was twice as much with the sales they have now, but worth it imo.

Back when I was going through 4K-TV-as-monitor hell, I tried a JU6500 and found it was far too blurry to use for first person games, but desktop and strategy were great. If you find that's the case for you too (I hope not) most agree that the JU7100 is your best step up, and is much quicker in terms of response time. I think Kyle has a JU7100?

Personally, I gave up and got a Dell U3415W, but ultrawide is not everyone's taste and it was even /more/ expensive.

Back