Seiki Pro SM40UNP 40"/ SM32UNP 30"4K LED Monitors

batmanwcm

Gawd
Thanks for the links infodroid.

This is pretty much the monitor that I've been waiting for. The 40 inch one anyway. I was going to settle on the Philips BDM4065 but that had no US availability.

Retail : $1,000 = WIN

Samsung Vertical Alignment (Super VA) LED panel technology with 3,840 by 2,160 4K Ultra HD resolution
12-bit color processing and 14-bit gamma mode
HDMI 1.4 (HDMI 2.0 in Q2 2015), DisplayPort 1.2 (DisplayPort 1.3 in Q2 2015), MHL 3.0, DVI and VGA standards display connections
Picture-by-picture (x4) and daisy chain mode
USB 3.0 hub (1 upstream and 2 downstream)
VESA-compliant adjustable monitor stand with quick release
8.5ms gray-to-gray pixel response time (40")
9.5ms gray-to-gray pixel response time (32")
6-bit color depth (Definitely a con)

http://www.pcgamer.com/seikis-40-inch-4k-display-is-a-desk-dominating-beauty-for-under-1000/

http://4k.com/news/seiki-releasing-two-new-4k-monitors-ces-2015-5064/

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/seiki-breaks-into-desktop-monitor-market-with-a-pair-of-seiki-pro-branded-4k-ultra-hd-displays-300015324.html

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/seiki-pro-40-inch-32-inch-4k-monitors-are-at-large/#/4

seiki-pro-4k-display-se32unp-se40unp-4-970x646-c.jpg

seiki-pro-4k-display-se32unp-se40unp-5-970x646-c.jpg

seiki-pro-4k-display-se32unp-se40unp-6-970x646-c.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Been very pleased overall with my 39in Seiki for the price I got it at. I ended up using it mostly in 1080P mode after getting tired of switching back and forth for games. Now I can finally enjoy it all the time.

Only thing I'm concerned about with these is the lag compared to the (relatively outstanding) ~20ms total on the Phillips.

Stoked to see this display size becoming a thing in the US finally though.

Only thing I'm concerned about with these is the lag compared to the (relatively outstanding) ~20ms total on the Phillips.

Stoked to see this display size becoming a thing in the US finally though.

I originally wanted the Philips but the fact that it won't be released in the US is a big problem.

I actually thought about buying it through taobao.com since I have family that can read and speak Chinese. The problem is that there is no support if the monitor arrives DOA or with a cluster of dead pixels. The price is awesome on the Philips though. It costs about $700 with the conversion rate of USD to Chinese yuan.

Announcing it with HDMI 2.0 and then not delivering (until a later model) is BS, + alot more expensive than the Philips? what a letdown

I'm one of the biggest proponents for Seiki on the site but if it doesn't ship with HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.3 from the get-go it's friggin useless.

It's kind of weird to announce that hdmi2/dp1.3 won't be available until later, but since they're announcing like that I assume that those are going to be firmware updates?

Agreed why would they wait until later to add HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.3?:confused:

It's kind of weird to announce that hdmi2/dp1.3 won't be available until later, but since they're announcing like that I assume that those are going to be firmware updates?

It's a weird thing indeed to hold off like that considering how critical to 4K for PC usage HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.3 are for proper output.

Really should hold off until those dates arrive and see if they actually add it via firmware or updated models (I really doubt that's what they meant but its confusing).

As a European, didn't really understand why Philipps didn't release their monitor in the U.S. The U.S. is a high-end market that certainly grows faster than we do right now(although individual countries like Ireland, the UK, Sweden, Poland etc grow more or less on par with the U.S.).

And they did release it in Asia, which despite rising wealth, has a much smaller pool of people who can shell out 700 dollars or so with exception to Korea and Japan.

Nevertheless, as previously mentioned, input lag is going to be a big issue on these displays. I've read some reviews on Swedish forums from people who got the Philips 40" monitor and a minority do complain about input lag, so it seems to be those who have very sensitive eyesight, but it's still 15-20%, so it's not negligible.

I originally wanted the Philips but the fact that it won't be released in the US is a big problem.

Is this confirmed? Last I read it was slated for Q1 2015. If this is true, I may have to rethink my tolerance for risk ordering such a big, expensive, niche electronics product from an international vendor with all of the potential DOA return and future warranty issue hassles that this would entail.

Last edited:

I wouldn't assume that. From this page: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx

Can my existing HDMI 1.x devices be upgraded with HDMI 2.0 features?
Currently, there are no provisions for doing such an upgrade. Because of the new enhanced feature set, any such conversion would require hardware and/or firmware upgrades. If there are such conversions, it would come from the manufacturer. Please check with them directly.

So apparently it's possible, but it's definitely not a given.

This. DP1.3 will change nothing for this monitor.

Well technically 1.3 support in conjunction with a DisplayPort output on this thing would allow you to daisy-chain another display to this because there would be more bandwidth available for the second display. But if that port isn't available and this display can already do UHD @ 60 Hz via SST, then there's no benefit to 1.3 that I can see.

Is there any chance of this supporting gsync in the future? It will be perfect if it does.

That was the source I was referring to. The original article has a date newer than that tweet, and the update presumably was posted even later than that, so I'm crossing my fingers that it may yet arrive in the next few weeks.

If that's the case, I'll end up buying either one of these 2 monitors. It just depends on which one ends up being cheaper or better reviewed.

HDMI 1.4 (HDMI 2.0 in Q2 2015), DisplayPort 1.2 (DisplayPort 1.3 in Q2 2015)

What this really means? Inputs are upgradeable?? By software??? By hardware????

My guess is that there will be a "Rev B/2.0" model of this unit or something, which would be unfortunate. Firmware upgrade prospects are shaky at best, and I'd be shocked if this thing were designed to allow a consumer-performed hardware retrofit. I agree that it would be nice if they'd just wait to release the product they clearly want to sell, but I suppose the market for a 40" display is rather small in the first place, and right now all of those people have nowhere to go but Philips, so time may be of the essence. Then again, as mentioned above, DP 1.3 likely serves no useful purpose on this display at all. HDMI 2.0 would since you'd be able to drive it at 60 Hz that way, but unless you need to send a UHD 60 Hz signal to this thing from multiple sources or your source lacks a DisplayPort output and is somehow still better matched to a display rather than a TV, I don't see lack of HDMI 2.0 as a problem either -- in which case Seiki could probably satisfy the majority of their prospective customers with the DP 1.2 / HDMI 1.4 combo.

Yeah very confusing. I haven't seen anyone who's at CES address Seiki about this either.

Just a whole lot of news on gaming laptops. >_>

Just stopped at seiki booth at the Venetian and asked some questions. 40" is 1000 price point, no gsync or free sync, they didn't want to incorporate that cost into it. Displayport 1.2 and HDMI 2.0. Expecting to release middle of the year, they have a 24, 28, 32, and 40 and an ultrawide 34.

I also asked about any chance of a firmware upgrade to the 39" and 55" 4k and they said it wasn't possible.

Damn it it would be perfect if it had gsync or freesync.

Last edited:
Just stopped at seiki booth at the Venetian and asked some questions. 40" is 1000 price point, no gsync or free sync, they didn't want to incorporate that cost into it. Displayport 1.2 and HDMI 2.0. Expecting to release middle of the year, they have a 24, 28, 32, and 40 and an ultrawide 34.

I also asked about any chance of a firmware upgrade to the 39" and 55" 4k and they said it wasn't possible.

Interesting that they are going to come out with an ultrawide 34" as well. Also the release at the middle of the year seems a bit off putting. I was hoping for a Q1 release of the 40".

QUESTIONS: For anyone present at CES (srphoenix) who could ask the Seiki reps (or peek behind the 40in monitor) to see if:

1) Inputs: Is there more than one DP input? (is a 2nd mini DP input present?)
... How many HDMI inputs? (MHL?)
2) PiP: Will this monitor support PiP (Picture-in-Picture, in addition to Picture-By-Picture)
3) Speakers: Are there built-in speakers in the Monitor?
4) VESA Mount: Are there 100x100 VESA mounting holes present? (or 200x200?)
5) USB 3 Ports: Side-mounted USB ports? (or rear/back-mounted?)
6) Power Connector: Is there a standard 3-pin power cord connector on the rear?
... (IEC C14, like on the new Philips 40in)

Also, do the reps have any (gu)estimate of initial (USA) release date?
(I'm also really hoping this 40in Seiki does NOT use the same/similar non-square pixel VA panel that is present on the Philips BDM4065UC)

Many Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately their booth is up in one of the towers and is appointment only so its hard to get info and look at anything. I must have just caught them at a quiet time. I haven't heard anything about do 1.3 and being that their goal really seemed to be to overcome the 30hz mistake I didn't see do 1.3 being mentoined as any sort of priority.

I didn't look at the monitors for more than a couple minutes nor did I check out the rears of any if them but the 40 did have 4 different things going on in each quadrant of the monitor.

Sorry I can't be of more help with the other questions.

thx <srphoenix>,
If Seiki can really deliver on the 12-bit deep color, and (hopefully) not skimp on the basic inputs/features provided with the Philips 40in, this could be the goto monitor upgrade. Let's also hope the release date doesn't get pushed back...

thx <srphoenix>,
If Seiki can really deliver on the 12-bit deep color, and (hopefully) not skimp on the basic inputs/features provided with the Philips 40in, this could be the goto monitor upgrade. Let's also hope the release date doesn't get pushed back...

How valuable is deep color really on a VA panel?
I'm looking to upgrade from a 30" IPS and expecting color stability to be comparatively awful especially from up close, but I don't care since I mostly just want more terminal/IDE window space.

My concerns are more about input latency and what their DP 1.3 plans really mean.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...o-branded-4k-ultra-hd-displays-300015324.html

So when you saw the new monitors to be released - were they glossy or matte os "semigloss"?

How valuable is deep color really on a VA panel?
I'm looking to upgrade from a 30" IPS and expecting color stability to be comparatively awful especially from up close, but I don't care since I mostly just want more terminal/IDE window space.

My concerns are more about input latency and what their DP 1.3 plans really mean.

Yes, deep-color is certainly less critical on a VA panel, but larger monitors also magnify banding effects - so I'd definitely rather have the 12-bit over 8-bit color.

BTW <srphoenix>, did you notice any matte/anti-reflective treatment on the 40in Seiki monitor?

I hope these are more reliable than the 39 inch 4K model. I had 3 of them and all of them have failed on me with no support from Seiki. I really miss having a 4k monitor. Once you go 4K (even at 30Hz) it is hard to go back to lower res.

I hope these are more reliable than the 39 inch 4K model. I had 3 of them and all of them have failed on me with no support from Seiki. I really miss having a 4k monitor. Once you go 4K (even at 30Hz) it is hard to go back to lower res.

I agree. If you drop $1000 on a Dell, at least you know you have some support behind it. With all the issues posted about Seiki support, I would think twice about dropping that kind of cash on a product from this company.

yeah
it's like the AOC U3477PQU, Released in Asia, but not in USA. I too wanted to try the Phillips, and know one guy who bought it from Amazon (It came from China). The poor guy is getting no support from Philips USA, simply because they do not support it here. His monitor fried the first week.
One possible reason Philips do not sell the monitor in the USA, is because their market test elsewhere did poorly, Who knows?.
I have recently tried the BenQ BL3201PH and returned it. I think 32" is still too small for 4k monitors. I had to scale Windows 7 to 150% or else everything was too small. If you look at all the Adobe product line, PS, illustrator etc...their GUI's do not scale alongside windows, so their toolbars become so small in 4k that they are nearly unusable.
I did play far cry 4 on the Benq, and although the picture was very nice, the game was not that smooth at 60hz compared to a 144hz monitor. I run dual titans, and I distinctly felt some resistance at 60hz 4k at "very high".
I do not think The Benq 7ms GTG average refresh rate was fast enough. It may be ok for casual gaming, but as soon as you get into first person shooters, you cannot afford any input lag.
Also think that the internet has lag, so add the two lags together, and you end up with a not so smooth gaming experience.
I may give Seiki a try, but ultimately I want to wait for the Acer IPS 144hz coming in march XB270HU. It is still unclear, if this is a true IPS panel at 144hz.
Finding the correct monitor is not an easy task.

You guys realize that DP 1.2 can give 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz without issue right?

Some people also have PCs that aren't tethered to their monitors. If you want to run a long cable run, some of us have our PCs further away, in a rack or closet to reduce noise/clutter and you need HDMI 2.0 for the higher output voltage for long cable runs.

If you down scale native full screen resolution of 3840x2160 to 1920x1080, it must look horribly blurry?
Its like trying to watch a 1920x1080 music video on a native 4k screen.

Please comment...

Back