Seiki 39" 4K resolution HDTV $299 Free Shipping

Just got this.. love it!

Waiting for my 980 to get here to drive it properly. Currently have a 590 and it doesn't have HDMI, and my onboard Intel HD4600, while it can do the resolution has nowhere enough oomph to even really handle the desktop.

Flash the new firmware update. It can be aggravating otherwise.

Just got this.. love it!

Waiting for my 980 to get here to drive it properly. Currently have a 590 and it doesn't have HDMI, and my onboard Intel HD4600, while it can do the resolution has nowhere enough oomph to even really handle the desktop.

Flash the new firmware update. It can be aggravating otherwise.

You could have gotten a $2 DVI to HDMI adapter, or a DVI to HDMI cable. It's all the same digital signal being carried anyway.

But hey, it made a nice excuse to upgrade to a 980. :D

holy shit balls, is this thing any good? input lag?

Reviews are so-so on Amazon, with complaints about using it as a monitor. And of course its 4K 30hz.

Reviews are so-so on Amazon, with complaints about using it as a monitor. And of course its 4K 30hz.

That kills the deal for me. :(

4K 30Hz would be decent for anyone not going to game on it.

holy shit balls, is this thing any good? input lag?

I have one and really like it. I bought it the last time it dipped to $300 and upgraded from my Korean 27". I'll probably hold onto it until 60 Hz 4K is affordable.

First, the good: 4K stretched across 39" is amazing for productivity. 4K 39" = 110 PPI, which is similar to 1440p at 27", but bigger. It's almost as immersive as smaller portrait triple display setups, without as many headaches. 4K video and games look absolutely fantastic. I cannot wait for more 4K and HEVC video because it looks unbelievably good (sample clip).

Drawbacks: 30 Hz is noticeable, but bearable when using the desktop. I find it acceptable for slow paced games like XCOM, The Walking Dead, Divinity: Original Sin, etc, but YMMV. I don't notice the 30 Hz refresh rate at all with video, since the vast majority of content is 29.97 fps or less anyway. I use 1080p/120Hz for any twitchy games. You can also do 720p/240Hz.

Input lag is a separate issue. It's greatly reduced by flashing either the official 50" Seiki firmware or houkouonchi's custom firmware. There's still some, but as the resolution drops, so does input lag.

Last edited:
Will a 6970 drive this at full resolution ? Does it have to be via DP ?

For use as a workstation monitor that's fine though, right ?

Yes.

People say movies look great on this TV. The only games you'll start to see 30hz is FPS and racing games or any games that require very fast movement. For $299 it's hard to beat. For a workstation, I don't see how you can go wrong. ;)

Console gaming should be OK though? Tempting.. been wanting a TV for my room and use on my pc ( also give me a reason to get a ps4).

Console gaming should be OK though? Tempting.. been wanting a TV for my room and use on my pc ( also give me a reason to get a ps4).

Console gaming should be fine, because none of the next gen consoles output 4K, only 1080p.

I've got one, use it as my main monitor, works great, 1080p@60hz and its just like any other around its size/price, but you can go to 4k@30hz on it when you want pixels or 1080p@120hz when you want to game.

guys, this is a 30hz monitor, after using a 60hz monitor I don't think I can ever go back to 30.

I want this. So bad. If only I had a reason or the cash to get it :(

Just wondering, can this thing do 1600p at 60Hz?

Now has $40 mail in rebate.. but the code posted in this thread no longer works.. any more codes?

still up on the air with this. I wonder how soon will the next model 4ks with 60hz will come out..

There is a 2014 updated line of Seiki suppose to launch that were going to be firmware upgradeable to HDMI 2.0 and could "possibly" run 4k@60, but they seem to be delayed. I have the 39" and have the 65" still in box since I'm waiting to move, but I read some fun mods for the 65" I'm dying to try out (like 3D vision).

There is a 2014 updated line of Seiki suppose to launch that were going to be firmware upgradeable to HDMI 2.0 and could "possibly" run 4k@60, but they seem to be delayed. I have the 39" and have the 65" still in box since I'm waiting to move, but I read some fun mods for the 65" I'm dying to try out (like 3D vision).

Link?

http://www.seiki.com/products/seikiPro4k/

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...w-line-of-4k-upscaling-hdmi-products-16326651

Seiki's product page for the 2014 "Pro" series and the CES press release. I can't find a source where it was hinted at that they would be able to support 4k@60hz.

At the show, the company also clarified what makes its new Seiki Pro brand different, explaining that all of its Pro models are designed to be future-proof and fully upgradeable—in particular, you’ll be able to step up to the HDMI 2.0 standard via future firmware updates. The premium 65-inch Seiki Pro 4K HDTV boasts upgraded electronics compared to its lesser sibling, and also flaunts improved 4K video processing and upscaling abilities. The Seiki Pro 65-inch HD TV will be up for grabs by the second quarter of 2014.

Windows detected mine as 3D stereoscopic display and I can with little effort run it already at 120hz @720p, and that is just the older 39".

Windows detected mine as 3D stereoscopic display and I can with little effort run it already at 120hz @720p, and that is just the older 39".

Ah ok, I thought you meant the new Seiki's were going to be 3D Vision compatible. The refresh rate is high enough but I know the 39" can't do it because of the refresh pattern and pixel persistence. There have been a few people who have tried hacking the EDID but AFAIK they didn't get anywhere.

I have this TV. It's a good deal for $299. I paid more for it about a year ago. Don't use it much, but the 4k movies I do have look great on it.

Haven't even tried using it for gaming/general PC use.

Why? It's a TV. Use it for a TV since movies are 24 fps.

That is true,

I was hoping for a TV good enough to serve as a monitor though.

I sit too far away from my TV for 39" to make sense. Probably couldn't even tell the difference between 1080p and 4k at my viewing distance on such a small screen.

These are pretty good for coding and doing similar types of work from what I hear. Not great for much else though, maybe 120hz gaming.

I'm actually looking for something for my next gen consoles personally that doesn't take the space of my 50" plasma and I could possibly set on a desk or wall mount (provided there's VESA mounts). This may do the trick!

It works at 1440p@60hz and is alright for videos/games but its scalar is a bit weird, hard to explain really but text just seems a bit less crisp.

I'm also curious about this. Could you take a pic or something to explain what you're talking about?

Why? It's a TV. Use it for a TV since movies are 24 fps.
Uhhhh, no. Its an LCD, and LCDs still have issues with poor motion handling. You have to get to true 120hz with frame interpolation or quasi-240hz with strobing before you eliminate the inherent problems with LCD technology on high contrast fast action scenes. I can't imagine watching a soccer match at 30hz for example.... *shudder*

Back