Segway Inventor Throwing In The Towel?

HardOCP News

[H] News
While the Segway is cool and all, it hasn’t really sold very well which has lead the inventor of the revolutionary two-wheeled device thinking about throwing in the towel. Maybe if they didn’t cost as much as a used car, more people would buy them.

Stubborn, delusionally optimistic, creative, fearless, flexible and focused are some of the ways psychologists and business people describe the personality of an entrepreneur. Surprisingly, another word is ignorant.

If the Segway had been more reasonable priced such as in the $1200-$1500 range, I bet it would have gained more attention and been more successful.

lulz, we took 2 wheels and the seat off a wheelchair. Now gives us $10,000 for it111!

I really wouldnt pay more than $200 for that thing. I always thought it was kinda stupid. I mean wtf do you do if it rains or snows. Pretty useless to most people, only a toy for people who have money to burn imo.

Yeah, I agree that its priced way too high. Just because its unique, doesn't meant it will sell at any price. Price have to be practical too, especially with something that's new

I really wouldnt pay more than $200 for that thing. I always thought it was kinda stupid. I mean wtf do you do if it rains or snows. Pretty useless to most people, only a toy for people who have money to burn imo.

meh... you never used one. ;-)

I thought the same thing, but when TCWO moved and we arranged the warehouse across the back of our building instead of side by side with the administrative offices, which was better for more efficient order fullfilment and shipping, we realized that walking through the warehouse to have a quick look at items was quite a hassle. We left a Segway parked outside the door that went from the offices to the warehouse.

And at Disney World, they use a Segway to direct pedestrian traffic getting on the tram in the parking lot. No way someone would want to do that job on foot for any extended period of time.

And they're often used by security in malls where security personnel constantly have to pace back and forth across the length of a mall to keep an eye on houligans.

And just at CES I saw a handicapped guy using one to get around the convention center floor. WAY easier than navigating a wheelchair.

Fact of the matter is, Segway is a fantastic device with a VERY large niche market, but NOBODY can afford the damn thing. It's just way too expensive. I'd rather see the price come down then see it discontinued altogether.

I love this quote:

"Entrepreneurs tend to have a singular weakness that allows them to do things without checking their conscience," Zaleznik said. "Juvenile delinquents act and then try to sort things out afterward. I think entrepreneurs have this tendency."

Made me laugh because I know this mentality and sometimes I exhibit it. Basically, order to be an Entrepreneur you have to able to ask Venture Capitalists for their money to spend it on the pipe dream you think you can create and hope they will benefit from, but in the end, most of the time, you burn through it like kindling and worry about the consequences later.

I immediately read the thread title as "Dean Kamen Throwing In The Towel?" because I have personally met that guy and shook his hand once. Honestly, I hope he doesn't quit the project. While it may not be the most practical invention every, the Segway is just too cool to go away.

Moreover, despite the high price, isn't it still relatively popular within the security industry? I see these in use by security in parks, malls, conferences, and various events throughout the year.

I think Dean needs to focus on brining the price down rather than discontinuing the product alltogether.

The only reason it sold as many as it did was due to the hype, I mean seriously.... "This will revolutionize the way we plan cities" {before it came out} riiiiiiiiight

I immediately read the thread title as "Dean Kamen Throwing In The Towel?" because I have personally met that guy and shook his hand once. Honestly, I hope he doesn't quit the project. While it may not be the most practical invention every, the Segway is just too cool to go away.

Moreover, despite the high price, isn't it still relatively popular within the security industry? I see these in use by security in parks, malls, conferences, and various events throughout the year.

I think Dean needs to focus on brining the price down rather than discontinuing the product alltogether.

I've met Dean as well. He's a good guy and a good engineer. However, his problem is, is that he uses premium components in such limited quantities that his economies of scale only justify the higher costs of his products. You would see the price drop if he actually sold more, but he hasn't and the reason he hasn't is because the demand just isn't there. I mean let's be honest about the Segway. It uses 5 inertial gyropscopes via software to keep it upright and balanced. Those types of sensors and other internals are just damn expensive to use.

And at Disney World, they use a Segway to direct pedestrian traffic getting on the tram in the parking lot. No way someone would want to do that job on foot for any extended period of time.

And they're often used by security in malls where security personnel constantly have to pace back and forth across the length of a mall to keep an eye on houligans.

Thats odd, I was at Disney World back in Aug and I never once seen anyone on a segway. Although maybe I was at the wrong areas. I took the tram between a few parks and the bus between the resort and the parks.

Never seem one at any mall near me either.

I actually don't think I have ever seen one in person.

"...it hasn’t really sold very well which has lead the inventor of the ..."

should read

"...it hasn’t really sold very well which has led the inventor of the ..."

It cracks me up when the security staff here at my work go zipping around on them, complete with helmets.

It's even funnier when they topple over on the damn things trying to get in and out of the doors, making the helmets seem like a really good idea. :D

You generally use your legs to move or you sit on your arse and let something else move you, there is no real middle ground.

Reread the article.

Dean isn't saying he's quitting building Segways. He's in an article talking about the martyr mentality of some inventors and entreprenuers and how tough it is for someone like that to quit an obviously failing project.

The cops here in Chicago are always on them here in the Business district. They have huge off-road tires on them, and they are awesome.

If the Segway had been more reasonable priced such as in the $1200-$1500 range, I bet it would have gained more attention and been more successful.

Well it's not only the price, but city ordinance has hindered their successes too. In Chicago AFAIK you cannot ride a Segway in public unless you're with a licensed tour group or if you're a police officer or security guard.

Great work fact-checking the article. considering it's clear you didn't even read the thing.

It has nothing to do with Dean throwing in the towel. It glosses the psychology of the entrepreneur and interviews several other guys about what it's like to work on a project that isn't working right.

it's unfortunate how much these things cost. i'm somewhat glad they are so expensive because people really need to get out and walk once in a while...

even though they are expensive, many cities use them. if any city workers use them where you live, then your tax money is being used to pay for these overpriced wheels. your tax is increased so they can pay for these damn things.

a lot of "security" people use them around here, and when they shut them off they lay them up against people's cars. most of the people I see using these things are so fat they really should be walking anyway.

segway-police-unit-china.jpg

Maybe they should try selling them to the Chinese Infantry?

Seriously, the SUPERHYPE surrounding the Segway was larger than any pitch Ron Popeil could muster for the Showtime Rotisserie! I remeber chatrooms were full of talk about "Ginger" and how it will transform transportation as we know it, how cities would be built around it. Some said it would be a cheap flying car, others thought it would be a time machine or teleportation device based on the hype.
Its a Hoveraround for crisake!

Problem: Why buy one of these thing for 1.5K when you could get a electric scooter for $200?

Back