Sega Saturn style controller for your PC and VIP access to PlaySEGA for 3 months $20!

RangerXML

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.segashiro.com/2009/09/14/playsega-vip-controller-is-a-classic/

This is a [H]ot deal if I have ever seen one. Don't quote me on the quality of the controller yet, they ship Oct. 9th and PlaySEGA is still in beta, but if the controller is quality I'll be picking up a second. PlaySEGA is a Java powered browser emulator from Sega to play classic SEGA games on your PC. While you don't need a to pick up the PlaySEGA controller and VIP access to play the games, this is a chance to pick up arguably one of the best designed game pads of all time. Not to mention with the Steam Street Fighter IV deal this is pure awesomeness. The VIP access is $4.95 a month and you can buy the controller for $12.95 +$4.95 shipping or buy 3 months VIP and get the controller for only $4.95 shipping so $19.90 total. VIP lets you play and edit, make and share original Sonic levels for an all new original game, you can still play the custom levels without VIP member ship.

PURE WIN ALL AROUND!!!

As I said, I only got the one controller, check it out and if it is as good as the original I'll be just buying a second one. Why in the heck hasn't Nintendo been doing this!

I wouldn't be surprised if these controllers are the same ones they currently sell on ebay. If they are, then they are perfect reproductions of the original saturn pad.

Hmm, the pad by itself can be had for a little less on Ebay... Has anyone tried PlaySEGA? And does anyone else but me remember the abomination that was the US version of the Saturn controller? :p (this is the Japanese version which was later sold here IIRC, but not originally packed w/the Saturn)

Hmm, the pad by itself can be had for a little less on Ebay... Has anyone tried PlaySEGA? And does anyone else but me remember the abomination that was the US version of the Saturn controller? :p (this is the Japanese version which was later sold here IIRC, but not originally packed w/the Saturn)

Yeah oddly that first stick disappeared pretty quick. I still have all mine including the Nights Into Dreams stick.

The original US version had the same button layout but it was bigger in every way, like someone decided all US gamers had huge NBA man-hands or something, heh... D-pad was a lil' more wiggly and less useful for fighting games too. I faintly remember Nights Into Dreams... The pad that came with that was even more humongous wasn't it? Like a big saucer or something, with the analog stick tacked on and the analog trigger buttons I think? Was good for racing games from what i remember tho.

Anyone have a clue why the prices for the controller seem to be all over the place on Ebay? Even from the same seller, same exact controller, you see a listing for $6, $6.99, $9, $11, and $16... Same description and everything, all with the option to Buy It Now, hrm.

Anyone have a clue why the prices for the controller seem to be all over the place on Ebay? Even from the same seller, same exact controller, you see a listing for $6, $6.99, $9, $11, and $16... Same description and everything, all with the option to Buy It Now, hrm.

Check the shipping price and verify its USB. I bought one day before yesterday and 14.99 with free shipping was the best 'buy it now price' at the time.

Ahh, I just noticed that... They all come out to $20+ anyway after shipping, the cheaper it is the more S&H they tack unto it, heh. Gonna have to dig and see if I find one for $14.99 w/ free S&H like ya did...

Hrm, I still have my working sega saturn... The controllers don't look like that... Well sorta... They're much more... square.
That and I prefer the playstation gamepad any day of the week....

This, is the original Sega Saturn controller. I got this controller with my Saturn on launch day.
SO, WTF is this thing you guys are claiming is a Saturn controller, that isn't?
saturn.jpg

The controller you linked looks much more like a genesis controller, to me.

This, is the original Sega Saturn controller. I got this controller with my Saturn on launch day.
saturn.jpg

That has been answered a couple times over in this very thread, there are different versions of the controller. The one you get from PlaySEGA is the original Japanese version of the Sega Saturn controller.

SEGAblack13.jpg

090914-playsega.jpg

This, is the original Sega Saturn controller. I got this controller with my Saturn on launch day. SO, WTF is this thing you guys are claiming is a Saturn controller, that isn't? The controller you linked looks much more like a genesis controller, to me.

I alluded to that on like the 7th post... You have the US version of the controller, later on the Japenese version (that PlaySEGA sells you, and that's all over Ebay) was sold stateside and was even included with the US Saturn at one point I think (replacing the original chunk US version). I actually bought it for my Saturn at EBX so I'm 100% positive of this, search Wikipedia if you don't believe us tho. Either way, the Jap version is much more comfortable unless you have beefy hands.

I think I'm gonna pay the $21 for one of the gray ones on Ebay, I might take advantage of this deal too as well... So I can get two controllers altogether. :D The white/light ones seem like they'd look like crap after a couple of weeks. :p

I want to jump on this for the pad but there are too many reports of broken dpads on these. It seems with the release of SF4 they took shortcuts to meet demand and the quality of the controllers just aren't that great anymore. With that being said is PlaySega an official venture of Sega? If it's just another company from China/Hong Kong then I think I'll pass.

saturn.jpg

that was replaced in later revisions of the hardware. a lot of people didn't like it so they brought over the japanese controller which is the controller in the thread.

Ah, I see. I always hated the Saturn controller. As others said, it's too large, and blocky... I remember after playing the corners would hurt my palms and my left thumb would be sore from the weird d-pad.

Yeah oddly that first stick disappeared pretty quick. I still have all mine including the Nights Into Dreams stick.

I have all 3. Generally I used the nights into dreams controller. Really liked it for some reason.

I keep seeing sega push these old genesis games. What they really need to do is get a good emulator going for the saturn games. I'd love to be able to play a bunch of them without dragging the system out be it on the computer or on something like xbox live arcade. I mean you have Nights, Die Hard Arcade, Burning rangers, Panzer Dragoon 1, 2, and saga, etc. You also have the old school virtual on games which I think are better then the new ones.

I'd also like to see sega break out the few good games that came out on the sega cd and 32x. Hell some of the bad ones would be a good throw back as well.

Yeah the weird indents or wedges on that d-pad are just ass (the old US one).

What was that side-scrolling brawler game for the Saturn where you could play it with up to 4 people... It had a lot of fighting moves/combos (well, more than the average 2D brawler) and the animations were awesome, I think the camera panned in/out a lot as you flew thru the air, etc. Setting was sort of medieval, I remember that game very very fondly... Never got a chance to play it much w/friends since we always gamed elsewhere and stuck to the PS/N64. Man the name escapes me, I'm gonna have to dig it up. There were a whole bunch of characters too (again, unusual for a brawler).

That mech fighting game was pretty cool too (they sold the arcade-replica joysticks and all)... Forgot the name too, ffs I'm getting old.

What was that side-scrolling brawler game for the Saturn where you could play it with up to 4 people... It had a lot of fighting moves/combos (well, more than the average 2D brawler) and the animations were awesome, I think the camera panned in/out a lot as you flew thru the air, etc. Setting was sort of medieval, I remember that game very very fondly... Never got a chance to play it much w/friends since we always gamed elsewhere and stuck to the PS/N64. Man the name escapes me, I'm gonna have to dig it up. There were a whole bunch of characters too (again, unusual for a brawler).

That mech fighting game was pretty cool too (they sold the arcade-replica joysticks and all)... Forgot the name too, ffs I'm getting old.

The game you're asking about was called "Guardian Heroes."
Best game of its type still.

The NiGHTS controller eventually morphed into the Dreamcast controller (minus 2 face buttons).

Yep - Japanese Saturn controller > American Saturn controller.
SoA did NOTHING right with that system. NOTHING.
They should have reached out to Treasure, Capcom, and SNK and released all of those imports over here. The Saturn was floundering meanwhile X-Men vs. Street Fighter was HUGE in the arcades and what did any non-import buying US console gamer get? A shoddy POS Playstation port. As soon as I found out XvS was coming out, I had a region switch installed in my Saturn and I started importing everything I could. Radiant Silvergun, Silhouette Mirage, Guardian Heroes, XvS, Marvel vs SF, SF Zero collection, Zero 3 ("Alpha" in the US), all the KoF titles, Samurai Showdown 3+4, Last Blade II, Groove on Fight, etc. etc.

Saturn gets such a horrible rap in the US....if any of those doubters had a chunk of the imports, they would be singing a different tune.

OT I think that controller is close, but not right. The d-pad looks jank to me, I don't like it. Looks too small.

Sega CD (Mortal Kombat CD, the definitive version), Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast, great systems never given the chances that they should of been.

I played X-men vs SF on my Saturn using one of those cartridges that allowed you to play Japanese games w/o any mods... But man was it a PITA! I think it was due to a special RAM cartridge that XvsSF used, obviously you couldn't have both cartridges plugged in simultaneously, so I had to go thru a fairly epic cartridge switcheroo process to get the game to boot up, then I could play for hours, heh. When I got my Dreamcast I had a mod chip put in immediately (it was ghetto soldered by a friend, took a couple of tries :p ).

The game you're asking about was called "Guardian Heroes."
Best game of its type still.

Hell yes that was it! Thanks... What a generic name, no wonder I forgot it. Looking at some Youtube clips of the game, it definitely looks like ass now, lol (helloooo pixel-town), but I bet it's still very fun. Wonder if it's available on Gametap or as a ROM somewhere... I've never messed around w/Saturn emulators (there's gotta be some I imagine?), just SNES.

Yeah, the japan version of the controller is literially "The best controller that's ever made" Like Ocolet would say"The best handgun that's ever made" I reemember import Xmen vs street fighter, Xmen ver marvel, dark stalker 3 and Radiant silvergun. Some people in hk also created some kind of cart that is both import cart and the 4mb ram cart in one. Along with the best controller ever gnme, it was gaming heaven and I would argue that Radiant Silvergun is one of the best 2d shooter.

I sold my SS a year or so ago for like $400, I literally had everything I wanted except: Radiant Silvergun and Burning Rangers :( Sad panda.

I'll look into this deal!

When I got my Dreamcast I had a mod chip put in immediately (it was ghetto soldered by a friend, took a couple of tries :p ).
they made a chip for the dreamcast? my dc plays burned isos without any issue. you can even play straight up copies (e.g. using regular/simple cd copy programs) using a bootdisc.

Wonder if it's available on Gametap or as a ROM somewhere... I've never messed around w/Saturn emulators (there's gotta be some I imagine?), just SNES.
i believe it was ported to the gameboy advance. saturn emulators are reasonably well along. see:

http://ssftribute.emuunlim.com/faq.php

Last edited:
they made a chip for the dreamcast? my dc plays burned isos without any issue. you can even play straight up copies (e.g. using regular/simple cd copy programs) using a bootdisc.

Yea there was at least one and it was a pain in the ass to install from what I remember. At least compaired to the ps1 and saturn mod chips. It came out before the boot disk. I installed one for a friend and was pissed because like 2 weeks later the boot disk came out. I think at the time he had 1 import game(the mod chip only allowed imports, not pirate games).

Man I forgot how big the USDM Sega Saturn controller was before they bought over the JDM version.

Which reminds me Xbox went through the same thing. You would think companies would learn but I guess not.

Even the original US Saturn controller is pretty awesome. Wish I could get one for the xbox360 :( Or the Wii for that matter.

Yea there was at least one and it was a pain in the ass to install from what I remember. At least compaired to the ps1 and saturn mod chips. It came out before the boot disk. I installed one for a friend and was pissed because like 2 weeks later the boot disk came out. I think at the time he had 1 import game(the mod chip only allowed imports, not pirate games).

That was pretty much my story as well, heh. I got it for one of the Marvel vs Capcom games (I forget which), that I actually bought straight up at EBX (no clue how/why they were selling imports) but I had to go buy the chip at some shop about an hour from home, and it was a PITA to install it. I think I only had like three Dreamcast games, I got it as a HS graduation present and didn't take it with me to college so it just sorta languished. I had that import, Crazy Taxi, and uhh... I forget, I could've played those two all summer long tho, heh. I think my StarCraft addition was still pretty strong back then tho, so I didn't even put that much playtime into it.

the sf4 fightpad for 360/pc is a good sega saturn style controller
I love the feel of the 6 body buttons, very responsive, can press two buttons at once with one finger and the d-pad has me pulling off tekken moves with ease that were trouble doing with psx/ps2 controller
*counts days til Tekken 6*

Back