Sega Releases Classic Games Free On Mobile

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Sega has released it's "Sega Forever" service on iOS and Android, making nearly every Sega game available for free. The program is ad-supported, with the option to purchase games for $1.99 to remove them. While there is a limited number of games on the service now, Sega is planning to release more titles bi-weekly.

This is outstanding, mobile games are usually terrible, and here is a lineup of some of the best games of all time coming to the platform. I hope they hurry out with some of the Dreamcast stuff, Crazy Taxi, all the "Virtua" games. I hope they bring Seaman over as well, having a weird fish-monster voiced by Leonard Nimoy asking you personal questions while you're on the toilet would be incredible.

SEGA Forever is a free and growing classic games collection of nearly every SEGA game ever released from every console era – Master System, Genesis/Mega Drive, Dreamcast, and more. Available on iOS and Android mobile devices

I always wonder how X-Men will work on new distribution platforms. There was a point in the game where you had to hard reset the console.

Don't see it anywhere on the iOS App Store.

Releases tomorrow.

I would love to see this on Xbox/PS4/Switch/etc.. I don't like playing games on mobile. Even with a controller, it doesn't feel right.

Don't see it anywhere on the iOS App Store.

It is not a single app release that contains every game. Each game is an individual app. I would have liked it if they released it as a unified app like Atari did with their "Atari's Greatest Hits" app.

Releases tomorrow.

I would love to see this on Xbox/PS4/Switch/etc.. I don't like playing games on mobile. Even with a controller, it doesn't feel right.

Then get the huge Sega collection on ps3. You don't need a ps4 to play these games.

Great idea, people can already use an emulator and rom to play these games so why not make them free with ads with a cheap option to remove the ads and see if you can make some cash from it? I am not being sarcastic here, I do like this idea. Phantasy Star 2 was one of my favorite genisis games. I will pay the 2$ for the legit release if it works well with touch controls.

What a joke it not free if have pay $2 to remove ads from each game.

Then get the huge Sega collection on ps3. You don't need a ps4 to play these games.

I plan on it. I already have them on emulator and many on the original systems. But, I just feel that Sega is missing a huge market with the console owners. I'll download a couple to play, but I won't pay $2 and I probably won't play for very long. I'm probably not the target demographic (not much of a mobile gamer, but huge Sega/retro gaming fan). Put them on the newer consoles, and I'll download them and probably pay for them (again). Especially with new ones coming out monthly.

Less of a thing for me (I can already play them), more of a thing for more profits for Sega (which was the better console in the Genesis/SNES days).

You seriously expect them to give the games away for free?
Hell yes if going say something is free when it not, then it a lie in my book end of story and by time you get paying for all in each game ads you spent $160 that if all 80 come out when you could bought 3 of those AtGames Sega Genesis Classic Game Console that come with 80 classic titles or wait a little long you get the newer ver that come with 85 game called Sega Genesis Flashback and has 720P HD Output + Cartridge games supported.
In fact you can get the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition that come with 130 Game with 720P HD Output

Last edited:
Hell yes if going say something is free when it not, then it a lie in my book end of story and by time you get paying for all in each game ads you spent $160 that if all 80 come out when you could bought 3 of those AtGames Sega Genesis Classic Game Console that come with 80 classic titles or wait a little long you get the newer ver that come with 85 game called Sega Genesis Flashback and has 720P HD Output + Cartridge games supported.
In fact you can get the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition that come with 130 Game with 720P HD Output

You need to chill out.

It is free. You get to play the whole game for free (read: not paying anything). Nothing about that is a lie. You seem to have this mixed up definition that free with ads disqualifies it from being free.

Been playing Sonic 1 on my iPhone and I gotta say it's pretty good. Controls aren't as bad as I thought they would be and in fact they aren't so bad since the aspect ratio has been increased and the button area lands outside the standard 4:3 area.

Last edited:
You need to chill out.

It is free. You get to play the whole game for free (read: not paying anything). Nothing about that is a lie. You seem to have this mixed up definition that free with ads disqualifies it from being free.
Free with out Ads ??.

iAd advertising is just new opportunities to generate more revenue and promote their apps and other.
All other apps that have it have the option remove it for only 0.99 that where it should be anything above this is for them to generate revenue after all it called Catch 22 game.
And to waste the user bandwidth a long with there data cap

Last edited:
How does it work without a controller? Sorry I just need a controller in my hands.

Thank you for know what the Seaman game is...most people when I tell them about the Seaman game just ask if I have a brother...

That game was amazing, and totally ahead of it's time. I literally bought the console for that game. Leonard Nemoy is god.

Tried to download Sonic and get the message "This content is not available in your country yet"

Phantasy Star rpg's will work well with touch screen controls. Maybe use PS4 controller with bluetooth for action games/platformers.

I tried Sonic. Just mobile controls alone it is rather frustrating.

Back