Sega MegaDrive Synthesizer, Made From A Sega Mega Drive And GEN MDM

I would much rather use my REAL synths than any of these "console" synths.

genesis sounds like trash, save for a few games here and there... sonic, batman and robin, to name a couple...

was just playing OG snes, that sticky/smooth thumpin bass sound I don't think any emulator or console replicated, sony did great on that chip... shame the PS1 seemed to sound more generic clinical GM MIDI-ish...

genesis sounds like trash, save for a few games here and there... sonic, batman and robin, to name a couple...

was just playing OG snes, that sticky/smooth thumpin bass sound I don't think any emulator or console replicated, sony did great on that chip... shame the PS1 seemed to sound more generic clinical GM MIDI-ish...
The synth maybe not that great, but that streaming audio off the CD was kickin'.

I would much rather use my REAL synths than any of these "console" synths.
Well yeah, they cost as much as a console, too. They better be good. lol

In my opinion the Genesis sounded better. Some games sounded better on the SNES while some games were better on Genesis. Earthworm Jim and Cool Spot sounded better on the Genesis than the Super Nintendo, while Lion King sounded better on the SNES. Lion King sounded far better on SNES than on Genesis. Really does depend on the sound artist but the Genesis had 10 channels that could do 44hz while the SNES had 8 channels at 24hz, but the SNES has 8 FM channels while the Genesis has only 6 FM which is probably why Lion King sounded better on the SNES.

yea, no doubt genesis can sound great in the right hands. I kinda prefer it over snes for Lion King (they both sound great) and earthworm jim is certainly mixed better on genesis I'll give it that (sounds like snes version has an unnecessary blanket over it)...

yea, no doubt genesis can sound great in the right hands. I kinda prefer it over snes for Lion King (they both sound great) and earthworm jim is certainly mixed better on genesis I'll give it that (sounds like snes version has an unnecessary blanket over it)...
SNES sounds like it has a blanket because it can only do 24hz sound. I'm really impressed with the Lion King on the SNES because it does make good use of the FM channels, but they could have probably done the same on the Genesis but didn't for some reason? Maybe they needed the FM channels for sound effects?

SNES sounds like it has a blanket because it can only do 24hz sound.
I think you're confusing internal clocks with final sound reproduction. I'm not sure where you read Genesis can do 44.1kHz, maybe you read that as stereo (because 2x22.05kHZ = 44.1kHz) and figured SNES doesn't also do stereo (which it does, it can emulate Dolby Surround even) further, even if a synth can produce a sound above 22kHz it's not like people can hear much beyond that, and it has little to do with sound clarity or mudiness, that's more a mixing thing and using sample rates below 16-bit
I'm really impressed with the Lion King on the SNES because it does make good use of the FM channels
no, SNES uses 22khz/8-bit mono PCM samples. I could extract them from the SPC even. Yea, if the designer does a poor job and doesn't compensate EQ/dynamics for the lower bitrate, then it can sound very muffled. I suspect that's maybe what happened in some cases. It takes a little extra work to make things sound bright on SNES, and it takes a little extra work to make things sound smooth on Genesis's synths, so that's mostly where their differences in sound reproduction differ I think

That guy is awesome. He does basically "sample" his voice though, he can't sing that perfectly live. Still sounds great, wish hee did more

It's not that people can hear much above 20 KHz (generally accepted range for human hearing is between 20 Hz to 20 KHz). It's that if your sampling rate is 44.1 KHz, you are sampling a 20 KHz audio signal no more than just above twice per second. That's a lot of detail lost...

You guys might be interested in learning some basics about digital audio. This video is great but doesn't really get into filtering which is a huge part of genesis/snes outputs (I couldn't find a handy video on that), but it least explains a bit of how the pcm signal reproduction works

I think you're confusing internal clocks with final sound reproduction. I'm not sure where you read Genesis can do 44.1kHz, maybe you read that as stereo (because 2x22.05kHZ = 44.1kHz) and figured SNES doesn't also do stereo (which it does, it can emulate Dolby Surround even) further, even if a synth can produce a sound above 22kHz it's not like people can hear much beyond that, and it has little to do with sound clarity or mudiness, that's more a mixing thing and using sample rates below 16-bit
no, SNES uses 22khz/8-bit mono PCM samples. I could extract them from the SPC even. Yea, if the designer does a poor job and doesn't compensate EQ/dynamics for the lower bitrate, then it can sound very muffled. I suspect that's maybe what happened in some cases. It takes a little extra work to make things sound bright on SNES, and it takes a little extra work to make things sound smooth on Genesis's synths, so that's mostly where their differences in sound reproduction differ I think
I was wrong either way. I know in emulators the default audio frequency is 32000Hz while Genesis emulators default to 44Hz, so I figured that's why SNES games always sound muffled. There is spastic info about what these consoles can do with their audio, like the Genesis YM2612 can do up to 44Hz with its own crystal while the SNES SPC chip internally resamples everything to 32000Hz.

I thought this was cool, Streets of Rage 2 music on the SNES audio hardware. Doesn't sound bad.

Last edited:
Back