Sega Just Showed Off A Prototype Handheld For The First Time Ever

erek

[H]F Junkie
1609021543489.png

"A nice surprise was that Miyazaki showed off a prototype of the console that has, up until now, never been seen in public. Still retaining the "Venus" codename, the prototype Nomad is rather fetching, and arguably more attractive than the oddly-shaped system we actually got. (What is that slanting top section all about, anyway?)

This year, Sega paid tribute to its most famous handheld console, the Game Gear, by releasing a micro version exclusively in Japan."

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._a_prototype_handheld_for_the_first_time_ever

How about they pay tribute to the Dreamcast and make a second one already because that console was tits.
I remember going to Gamestop on weekends and actually being able to buy games with my allowance because of this system. The huge library of ports on release made it an instant buy when I first heard about it, and they just kept coming until the system went EoL and disappeared.

The Dreamcast got a spiritual successor. It was released by Microsoft, and the console's name was Xbox.

The Dreamcast had two successors, the Naomi and Naomi 2. They weren't home consoles, but did have a direct lineage. The later variants of the Naomi were far more powerful than the original Dreamcast and definitely the original Xbox and even PS2. The Naomi was somewhat of an orphan though, being released when the arcade market started on a steep decline. There were a number of games released on Naomi hardware, but nowhere near what past arcade system boards enjoyed. It was the last really custom arcade system before everyone switched to using bog standard PC hardware.

The Dreamcast had two successors, the Naomi and Naomi 2. They weren't home consoles, but did have a direct lineage. The later variants of the Naomi were far more powerful than the original Dreamcast and definitely the original Xbox and even PS2. The Naomi was somewhat of an orphan though, being released when the arcade market started on a steep decline. There were a number of games released on Naomi hardware, but nowhere near what past arcade system boards enjoyed. It was the last really custom arcade system before everyone switched to using bog standard PC hardware.

Honestly I found the dreamcast to be overated. Sega is never going to make another console. They don't have the money and their is no room for a 3rd console. Majority of sega games the past two decades have been crap. Hell Sega just sold off all their arcades in japan recently.

Reactions: erek
like this
Dreamcast was the right hardware with the wrong software for the USA. It was a polygonal arcade machine emulator......which made total sense in Japan and absolutely no sense in the USA by that point. We'd already begun to move away from that 'short form' arcade gaming mentality into 'long form' gaming in the USA......an arcade perfect port of some fighting game or something like Hydro Thunder was fun....until you realized you could beat the entire game and unlock all its content in like 2 hours. Meanwhile Gran Turismo or Half Life.....or some 3D enabled MechWarrior game or any of the PC games that sucked you in for WEEKS....that was where we, in the USA, were mainly at.

Reactions: erek
like this
How about they pay tribute to the Dreamcast and make a second one already because that console was tits.

Yes that would be awesome however that would probably make Sega go "Tits-up"

I remember going to Gamestop on weekends and actually being able to buy games with my allowance because of this system. The huge library of ports on release made it an instant buy when I first heard about it, and they just kept coming until the system went EoL and disappeared.

I got a Sega as a gift back when I was young this was probably 1991 or so as I had the version 2 the smaller "gimped" version with no volume control & headphone jack. I saved up allowance money and got the Sega CD attachement also the "gimped" version 2 with the top load CD-Rom and not the "cool" drawer load one.

I also remember saving for a Nintendo 64 with allowance money I was pissed when I got home and could not hook it up to my hand me down 19" Samsung Color (yes color) CRT television from 1991

I had a Nomad. That thing was sick. Playing full Genesis games on a handheld.

I had one also that was awesome playing Sonic Spinball on a handheld however it ate batteries like No and boy I was mad as they were not cheap then luckily the AC adapter from the Genesis version 2 was the same specifications and plug type so I used that one but I never had one for the car, I don't know if those were even made as first party (Sega) accessories I do know third party ones did exist though.

Dreamcast was the right hardware with the wrong software for the USA. It was a polygonal arcade machine emulator......which made total sense in Japan and absolutely no sense in the USA by that point. We'd already begun to move away from that 'short form' arcade gaming mentality into 'long form' gaming in the USA......an arcade perfect port of some fighting game or something like Hydro Thunder was fun....until you realized you could beat the entire game and unlock all its content in like 2 hours. Meanwhile Gran Turismo or Half Life.....or some 3D enabled MechWarrior game or any of the PC games that sucked you in for WEEKS....that was where we, in the USA, were mainly at.

There were a lot of arcade games, but there were plenty of other games too. You weren't looking very hard if you couldn't find them.

Phantasy Star Online was the first console MMORPG. Shenmue was easily the most advanced rpg on any system at the time.

There were even a bunch of pc ports. You could play Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 arena 4 player split screen, or online multiplayer, and even with a keyboard and mouse and VGA monitor. You could even play Quake 3 cross platform against pc players.

Half-Life was actually completed and sent out to reviewers but then Sony paid Valve a very large amount of money not to release it.

Honestly I found the dreamcast to be overated. Sega is never going to make another console. They don't have the money and their is no room for a 3rd console. Majority of sega games the past two decades have been crap. Hell Sega just sold off all their arcades in japan recently.

Compared to the extensions of the Genesis and the Saturn, the Dreamcast was a very good console. Both the Genesis addons and the Saturn were a nightmare to develop for with all of their custom processors and weird architecture, which was made worse by buggy SDKs and basically no support for developers. Jon Burton from Travellers' Tales, which made Sonic 3D blast and Sonic R has some quite in depth videos of all of the programming nightmares he had go through to make both games work.

The Dreamcast in comparison was very easy to develop for. To put it into perspective how much of a nightmare it was previously to develop for Sega systems, A fully expanded Genesis had five different CPUs across three completely different architectures, all running at different speeds. There were two 68000s (one at 7.68 MHz and one at 12.5 MHz), two SH2s at 23 MHz and one Z80 at 3.58 MHz, all on the same bus. Then you had four different sound chips of varying PCM, PWM and FM capability and three VDPs, again all sharing the same bus.

The Saturn was no better, and Jon has a great video on it.

I got a Sega as a gift back when I was young this was probably 1991 or so as I had the version 2 the smaller "gimped" version with no volume control & headphone jack. I saved up allowance money and got the Sega CD attachement also the "gimped" version 2 with the top load CD-Rom and not the "cool" drawer load one.

All of the different versions of the Genesis had different issues, but you weren't missing much on the stereo jack with volume control. The volume slider was a constant source of problems because it'd get dirt trapped in the wiper and cause crackling audio or one of the sound channels to drop out. You definitely weren't missing much on the Model 1 Sega CD, the model 2 was far better. Games getting stuck in the drive on the Model 1 was a constant headache due to the eject mechanism failing. The belts also rot, requiring disassembly of the system to fix. I prefer the SCD2 BIOS to the SCD1 because it's less grating on your ears.

I also remember saving for a Nintendo 64 with allowance money I was pissed when I got home and could not hook it up to my hand me down 19" Samsung Color (yes color) CRT television from 1991

That's weird. The N64 had a modular AV plug which had an RF modulator module with the F connector pass through box and composite cables. When I bought mine new in 97, it had both in the box. Did your TV only have RF screws on the back? Most TVs by that time had the F connector standard.

Compared to the extensions of the Genesis and the Saturn, the Dreamcast was a very good console. Both the Genesis addons and the Saturn were a nightmare to develop for with all of their custom processors and weird architecture, which was made worse by buggy SDKs and basically no support for developers. Jon Burton from Travellers' Tales, which made Sonic 3D blast and Sonic R has some quite in depth videos of all of the programming nightmares he had go through to make both games work.

The Dreamcast in comparison was very easy to develop for. To put it into perspective how much of a nightmare it was previously to develop for Sega systems, A fully expanded Genesis had five different CPUs across three completely different architectures, all running at different speeds. There were two 68000s (one at 7.68 MHz and one at 12.5 MHz), two SH2s at 23 MHz and one Z80 at 3.58 MHz, all on the same bus. Then you had four different sound chips of varying PCM, PWM and FM capability and three VDPs, again all sharing the same bus.

The Saturn was no better, and Jon has a great video on it.

All of the different versions of the Genesis had different issues, but you weren't missing much on the stereo jack with volume control. The volume slider was a constant source of problems because it'd get dirt trapped in the wiper and cause crackling audio or one of the sound channels to drop out. You definitely weren't missing much on the Model 1 Sega CD, the model 2 was far better. Games getting stuck in the drive on the Model 1 was a constant headache due to the eject mechanism failing. The belts also rot, requiring disassembly of the system to fix. I prefer the SCD2 BIOS to the SCD1 because it's less grating on your ears.

That's weird. The N64 had a modular AV plug which had an RF modulator module with the F connector pass through box and composite cables. When I bought mine new in 97, it had both in the box. Did your TV only have RF screws on the back? Most TVs by that time had the F connector standard.

I bought mine right near launch in 1996. My TV only had the round coaxial 'F' connector the Nintendo 64 I got only had composite video and stereo audio (Yellow, White, & Red RCA style connectors). My Mother bought me an RF modulator from RadioShack to fix that latter I found out I could of just connected it to my VCR's Yellow & White AV jacks the VCR Was also a hand me down it was a mono one so I got the modulator as I did not know what to do with the 'extra' plug

I bought mine right near launch in 1996. My TV only had the round coaxial 'F' connector the Nintendo 64 I got only had composite video and stereo audio (Yellow, White, & Red RCA style connectors). My Mother bought me an RF modulator from RadioShack to fix that latter I found out I could of just connected it to my VCR's Yellow & White AV jacks the VCR Was also a hand me down it was a mono one so I got the modulator as I did not know what to do with the 'extra' plug
It so weird how back in the day we played on tiny 19" TVs. Now I think 34" UW monitors are on the small side. I will not accept anything less then 65" for a tv either now. I though I was such a baller when I brought a 36" trinitron tv after HS.

There were a lot of arcade games, but there were plenty of other games too. You weren't looking very hard if you couldn't find them.
Phantasy Star Online was the first console MMORPG. Shenmue was easily the most advanced rpg on any system at the time.

There were even a bunch of pc ports. You could play Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 arena 4 player split screen, or online multiplayer, and even with a keyboard and mouse and VGA monitor. You could even play Quake 3 cross platform against pc players.

Half-Life was actually completed and sent out to reviewers but then Sony paid Valve a very large amount of money not to release it.
I never said there were not others, I said Sega marketed its arcade games and they were casual game experiences. It had Unreal Tournament and Quake.....but you couldn't play them effectively on the controller so you had to spend money on, I think, required either a converter or a specific brand of keyboard and mouse right? So more hardware to play 1 game, or 2.
But this is why I said it was a great system, it was, and I disagreed that it was 'over rated' basically........but it was dead before it could find its legs and I don't believe anyone bought one because all I kept seeing being demoed on the thing were the same shallow arcade ports. That shit flew in the 80's and through the mid 90's but by the time this thing came out "arcade ports" were
yesterdays news....but that's what Sega tried to market.

Well that was when Sega was on their top arcade game.

Great titles like Crazy Taxi, Power Stone, Street Fighter III, Marvel Vs Capcom, Ikaruga, etc.

They had other games too, of course, but I agree that was the main draw of the console.

It so weird how back in the day we played on tiny 19" TVs. Now I think 34" UW monitors are on the small side. I will not accept anything less then 65" for a tv either now. I though I was such a baller when I brought a 36" trinitron tv after HS.
Lucky shit! I played on a 9" tv because the 28" in the living-room was for family time with cable and the vcr (you better believe I hooked up the consoles to the 28-er when I played hookey though), haha.

I would have gotten a bigger monitor when my Benq died but my Ikea desk barely had enough room for the Asus MG28UQ I got it has a top shelf hutch kind of thing and I need that due to the fact I live in a 330SQFT apartment and I have way to much stuff so any surface space has stuff on it.
I remember I got a Zenith C27V22 HDTV ready monitor around 2005 or so it had a VGA port however it would not accept standard PC signals I was bummed about that!

Lucky shit! I played on a 9" tv because the 28" in the living-room was for family time with cable and the vcr (you better believe I hooked up the consoles to the 28-er when I played hookey though), haha.

I hope it was at least a color television Lol!

Back