Sega Genesis Mini (aka Mega Drive Mini) Announced

I have a jealousy.

Ordered a Genesis Mini from Amazon last Monday with at least an expectation they would ship on launch day, while hoping for a launch day delivery. Nah, similar scenario to Armenius with delivery on Monday. Said fuck it, went to the Walmart a block from my house and picked one up before work Thursday night for 99 cents cheaper.

Pretty good experience with mine so far, but I'm swishing there were some rubber feet or something on the bottom so it would stop sliding off my coffee table. I also didn't recall how spongy the D-pad was, or how light the controllers were. I'll have to dig out my Genesis 2 (mold damage...) and compare.
That's good feedback.
I've pre-ordered an 8bit do wireless pad (6 buttons YES) to see if that feels better after your review.

Interesting about the mini sliding off the table. I'll make sure to have some little feet stickies ready for it.

Sega does what Nintendont even to this day in my household.

Pretty good experience with mine so far, but I'm wishing there were some rubber feet or something on the bottom so it would stop sliding off my coffee table.

Walmart also has those. Go over to the hardware section where they have screws and brackets, you'll find rubber/felt stick on pads somewhere near there. They usually have both round and square types and sometimes large sheets where you can cut your own.

I use them all the time to replace rotted rubber feet on old cases, UPSes, etc. Sometimes I'll need a larger rubber bumper, which I just use my 3D printer and TPU filament to make one.

I also didn't recall how spongy the D-pad was, or how light the controllers were. I'll have to dig out my Genesis 2 (mold damage...) and compare.

Genesis D pads were always pretty spongy, though as the rubber membranes age and dry rot, they tend to get hard to press and don't register button input properly. I have several controllers with this issue now and i'm looking into trying to find replacement membranes.

Got one of those 8Bitdo M30 Bluetooth Gamepad, in preparation for the Genesis Mini, been using it on my Genesis emulator, it works beautifully, the acid test for me was Street Fighter II - Special Champion Edition, no problems. Hope it works as well on the mini, when it arrives. :)

The official 2-gen 6-button has pretty good D-Pad. Not as good as Nintendo but very usable even for platformers and fighting games. 3 gen is rubbish IIRC, just the like 3rd gen console.

So much easier to archive these mini ones. Way more shelf space.

Attachments

• 4EBE4140-2C17-42E0-B29E-FBA52708A789.jpeg
    4EBE4140-2C17-42E0-B29E-FBA52708A789.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 0
Back