Sega Genesis Mini (aka Mega Drive Mini) Announced

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Having witnessed the success of Nintendo’s mini consoles, Sega is following suit with their own, the Mega Drive/Genesis Mini. The console is being designed by retro gaming company AtGames, which actually tried their hand at a new (but poorly received) version of the Genesis just last year.

In response to a question about the inclusion of a rewind feature, like the one featured in the Flashback console, AtGames said it will let “Sega announce all of the features, but yes, it will have the basics like that.” Asked whether Sonic 3 will be included, AtGames replied that it wouldn’t be included because it “has license issues with the music.”

Hmm Might consider if the price is right just because it is near impossible to get my genesis working on a modern TV.

Nintendo: Makes a mini, treats everyone that wants it like nvidia with gamers vs miners: YAY! Sega: Makes a mini: MEH

Just run emulators. Unless you have an original Genesis like myself, you aren't getting any different of a experience. And my Genesis/32X/SegaCD sits happily in the closet while I run RetroArch to play my old games.

Jesus Christ Sega! Drop the fricking AtGames! They make nothing but garbage, cheaply built clones with poor accuracy and absolutely horrid sound emulation! They have been making the same crap with exactly same flaws many many years in a row with no improvements at all!

It is obvious they have no intentions on making a good products, they just want to rip people off with cheaply built crap.

Jesus Christ Sega! Drop the fricking AtGames! They make nothing but garbage, cheaply built clones with poor accuracy and absolutely horrid sound emulation! They have been making the same crap with exactly same flaws many many years in a row with no improvements at all!

It is obvious they have no intentions on making a good products, they just want to rip people off with cheaply built crap.

Horrid sound...Genesis...start with shit, you might end up with shit :)

I'd rather just stick to Kega Fusion and the roms Sega sells everywhere. Now a better effort would be Sega trying to get more publishers to release sega genesis roms.

Just run emulators. Unless you have an original Genesis like myself, you aren't getting any different of a experience. And my Genesis/32X/SegaCD sits happily in the closet while I run RetroArch to play my old games.

I bought a $20 PSP and loaded all the emulators and games.

I do have a nintendo and sega mega drive but IMO it's just much more easier to use emulators which also features quick save and improved graphics etc. Sega has less "timeless" games for my tastes too. I tend to more often find joy in old Nintendo titles. SNES games are still quite frequently visited. :)

I do have a nintendo and sega mega drive but IMO it's just much more easier to use emulators which also features quick save and improved graphics etc. Sega has less "timeless" games for my tastes too. I tend to more often find joy in old Nintendo titles. SNES games are still quite frequently visited. :)
Same for me, and I exclusively owned a Genesis when I was a kid. There are some really good games on the Genesis, but nothing like Donkey Kong series, Super Metroid, and Zelda. Secret of Mana, MegaMan X series, Final Fantasy 6/3 depending on where you live. Genesis has Sonic series, Vector Man, Streets of Rage, Contra HardCorps, and Toe Jam & Earl. Maybe Beyond Oasis, but really never played it twice. The Genesis did have the better version of EarthWorm Jim, Mickey Mani, and Cool Spot, and I did like their version of Aladdin, but the Sega CD versions were just much better if you wanted the best experience of those games. Especially Mortal Kombat. Super Nintendo did have the better Lion King, but that wasn't a game worth playing Twice.

Super Nintendo did have Doom, but if I'm on my PC I can fire up a much better version of Doom. But yea, the SNES did have far more timeless classics than the Genesis. The Genesis was very focused on Arcade style games, which don't hold up well over time. Essentially you want Genesis for the Sonic games, and you really want that Sega CD ability for that Sonic CD, cause that's a timeless game.

I use my Genesis works on my 65" 4k just fine. What issues are you having?

500 adapters that are old as dirt for one. I didn't say it wasn't working, just that it was nearly impossible..meaning it is a giant pain in the ass. So when considering buying new adapters, I'm weighing the cost of this thing against those. If it is close enough I'll just buy this as the Genesis only really gets pulled out once every couple of years.

I personally collect old consoles, so I have a genesis (3 I suppose), same on the nes/snes (piss yellow top half aged included!) so I'm resisting buying these things as they come out. I do like the increase in retrogaming though. One of these days I'm gonna break down and buy a 3DO and CD-I .

On the contrary, I think Genesis/MD has great sound! There is a certain charm in FM synth produced music, something a sample/midi based (like SNES) cannot capture. Its the same thing with old Soundcards using OPL3 synth versus General Midi.

But even if you do not like synth sounds Atgames still butchers them so bad that even you can hear it. In some games some of the instruments sound like they are out of tune.

Well, to be fair even Sega themselves managed to screw the Genesis sound. The model 1 had a good sound but in model 2 they changed something and sound quality dropped noticeably.

I personally collect old consoles, so I have a genesis (3 I suppose), same on the nes/snes (piss yellow top half aged included!) so I'm resisting buying these things as they come out. I do like the increase in retrogaming though. One of these days I'm gonna break down and buy a 3DO and CD-I .
What you need for your collection is a Neo Geo with some Metal Slug and 500 different fighters and a Jaguar just because!

Well, seeing how Sega's releasing their Classic Collection for the XB1/PS4 with most of these games (and probably more for DLC), I don't see the purpose of this. The difference with Nintendo is, they don't release their games separately, with the exception of the Virtual Console on a console you can't buy anymore.

Uhh.. isn't there already a Genesis mini? Pretty sure I've seen them at Walmart.
There have been several Genesis fake consoles/emulator boxes out in stores. None were made by Sega. This new one is actually made by Sega.

Well, seeing how Sega's releasing their Classic Collection for the XB1/PS4 with most of these games (and probably more for DLC), I don't see the purpose of this. The difference with Nintendo is, they don't release their games separately, with the exception of the Virtual Console on a console you can't buy anymore.

I also think the fact Nintendo is still relevant as a hardware company gives the sales a bolster. There's a "it" factor when hardware is sold by the first party for some people. I hope Sega does well but imho they should release a dreamcast classic. That system was incredible. I loved mine

There have been several Genesis fake consoles/emulator boxes out in stores. None were made by Sega. This new one is actually made by Sega.

Yeah I'm not sure how this is different than what we can already get from AtGames today: https://www.target.com/p/sega-genes...H0c-8e9xgGn_EhF-P-YaApqBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Uhh... I would be hard pressed to believe Sega didn't sanction this, considering the use of their name and images.

Last edited:
No one wants the DC2. They say they do but would flop if released. I don't even know how Sega still in buisness. They have nothing but flop after flop.

Sega isn't a hardware company anymore. They are also not the same company they were back in the 80's/90's. They've lost all of their talent. At this point, I'd guess they were all suits and no more gamers making games. While it's always been about profit for the business, many games were made because they were great games and they wanted the best game they could make, with the profits coming as a result. These days, it's profits first and the game quality very low on the list. Sega, Atari, etc. are all the same like that. Nintendo seems to have a good formula still.

AtGames is shit. I have one of their systems, as well as several Genesis systems. AtGames is a worse emulator than what is freely available for a Raspberry Pi or PC. I'd love a Genesis Mini. I just don't want one from AtGames.

What you need for your collection is a Neo Geo with some Metal Slug and 500 different fighters and a Jaguar just because!
I have a jaguar and the good games (doom/avp/tempest) which local game shops didn't know their value
Neo geo is waaay over priced for me.

Truth is, except for Ristar, Cool Spot, Sonic (that includes Sonic 3D a.k.a. the best one), Streets of Rage, Alien Soldier, Doom Troopers, and a few others, most games sucked. To me, though, the Nintendo situation is even worse but what do I know.

SEGA's real hits were on the arcades. Team Shinobi was something else.

Truth is, except for Ristar, Cool Spot, Sonic (that includes Sonic 3D a.k.a. the best one), Streets of Rage, Alien Soldier, Doom Troopers, and a few others, most games sucked. To me, though, the Nintendo situation is even worse but what do I know.

SEGA's real hits were on the arcades. Team Shinobi was something else.

Sega games were short but well designed. Altered Beast ,The immortal '
Forgotten Worlds 'Strider , TUNDER FORCE most games were PC or Arcade ports but similar and more original than anything the Nintendo switch could hack out today.

I personally have my genesis hooked to my framemeiser and get awesome RGB on a 55 inch 1080p samsung with an Everdrive. No emulation/lag there. RGB is the way to go. Who needs some shitty console from at games. fuck'em.

Well, most of the composers back then didn't have the tech we have now to compose properly on the YM2612 FM synth chip, and some composers just flat out sucked.
However, a few composers, such as Savaged Regime, have completely revamped how to properly compose on the YM2612, and have even improved many older tracks:

^ On that last one, at 1:08... the feels! :D

He has even remixed SNES wave table music to the YM2612 such as Mega Man X:

The new Sega Genesis game Xeno Crisis is also being fully composed by him as well:

Last edited:
Hmm Might consider if the price is right just because it is near impossible to get my genesis working on a modern TV.
This might help a bit with the issues of connecting older equipment to modern TVs:

Back