Sega Game Gear Mini

Youn

Supreme [H]ardness
2 months and 2 days late in announcing this, but here goes anyways...

game-gear-micro-01_jpg_750x400_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/3/21279021/sega-game-gear-micro-release-date-price-games

the article forgot to mention the enhanced D pad that uses machine learning to anticipate what direction you are actually trying to go. Super cutting edge stuff here from Sega...

I saw this this morning, and was unimpressed. 4 games that you can barely see or control for $50? I'd rather Sega not try to predict where I want to go, and just show me on a larger screen where I actually went.

That being said, I never had a Game Gear (did have a Sega Master System though). I'd probably pick up a Gameboy classic if such a thing ever hit the market.

Yeah, screw that. I am uncomfortable enough playing on my 3DS. Besides, the entire Game Gear library is less than 100MB. I'd rather load it onto my NES or SNES Classic and play these games on my 55" OLED TV. I've been doing that recently with Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games. It really is such a refreshing experience replaying these games on such a glorious display.
I saw this this morning, and was unimpressed. 4 games that you can barely see or control for $50? I'd rather Sega not try to predict where I want to go, and just show me on a larger screen where I actually went.

That being said, I never had a Game Gear (did have a Sega Master System though). I'd probably pick up a Gameboy classic if such a thing ever hit the market.
I already saw a ridiculous looking magnifier for this thing.

I had a Game Gear. Games played surprisingly well on it. The screen was just too damn dim to play anywhere but a dark room. It also chewed through 6 AA batteries like nothing, only getting 45-60 minutes of play time IIRC. I liked that it was actually comfortable to hold and control in my hands unlike almost every other handheld ever made. The form factor of this mini system just screams "no" to me.

its a nostalgia item for sega fans, dont over think it.

the 4 pack i posted comes with it.
36018f497ae61580776e167f7e0eefaf439d4b1639f5ae2fd2.gif

35,500 Yen for that and the 4-pack? That's just a little bit more than 4,980 Yen each. Am I missing something in the product description?

Now, if they would make a full size Game Gear, with new OLED display, micro-switch control buttons, proper battery, (plus extra buttons) with multiple connectivity options, that played everything in Sega's 8-bit through 16-bit (plus CD) library, I might consider that. (or, maybe not because I have multiple ways to play all that anyway) However, it would be more compelling IMO.

That said, the FPGA systems (MiSTer and Mega SG) are the current best ways to play GG games. Enable the LCD filters on a big display, and it's pretty impressive. Not exactly portable, but definitely the best.

In reality, a good multi-pack of GG games for the Switch would probably be the best portable way.

I have an RG350, plays retro games pretty well. Haven't tried Game Gear yet, but Genesis games are basically perfect.

might as well just get a real thing, upgrade the screen and get a flash cart.

It doesn't come with it, but it does look like there is a way to get Atari 2600 games at least.

Back