Sega Drops A Huge Hint About ‘Phantasy Star Online 2’ Open Beta Plans

erek

[H]F Junkie
Does this matter for anyone on here? Could be pretty sweet!

"What I can tell you is that for an 8-year old game, it still looks and runs like a dream on both PC and Xbox One X, and it’s absolutely one of the best MMO Action RPGs you could sink your time into. With the added bonus of it being completely free to play. No progression or content is locked away, and I’ve spent at least 50 hours on the Japanese PSO2 server without even considering spending real-world money.

At any rate, it looks like the wait is almost over and I’ll keep you posted on all the major PSO2 NA news coming from Sega."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...hantasy-star-online-2-open-beta/#dbc603d73813

I'll for sure check it out, was a huge fan of the original PSO (on my beloved Dreamcast). What makes this even better is that my town will have fiber optic by then; I've been mostly avoiding multiplayer games due to lag/slow rural internet.

I'll for sure check it out, was a huge fan of the original PSO (on my beloved Dreamcast). What makes this even better is that my town will have fiber optic by then; I've been mostly avoiding multiplayer games due to lag/slow rural internet.

you still got that dreamcast or what?

When sega killed off offline only versions of phantasy star, I didn't mourn it for long. But killing off Shining Force in the same console generation just told me that sega had zero fucks s to give.

It took them another decade to rebirth that series

Reactions: erek
like this
I played PSO2 when the English translation "patch" was released for the Japanese version , gosh, seems like that was forever ago now. I'll probably check it out on release in the US.

Certainly it'll be the same experience but in English. There's no way the Cash Shop will be made more prominent nor certain features, items, content, or progression altered in any way. Only a jaded cynic would think Sega wants to increase profits.

I'll be trying out when released. I wasn't a fan of the original PS series but I did like PSO on the DC.

When I broke my leg I basically played PSO for 3 months straight. Loved that game, and looking forward to this one.

MS is paying for it. People have been demanding this come west since it released and I believe its still fairly popular in Japan.

Ah Microsoft, that explains it. Not sure how much of a demand would still be there, 8yrs after the release. I feel like this is a niche product, like final fantasy online is still going on but probably most players are not in the US

Ah Microsoft, that explains it. Not sure how much of a demand would still be there, 8yrs after the release. I feel like this is a niche product, like final fantasy online is still going on but probably most players are not in the US
Not to side track but if you're talking about FF14, about half of the active players (~320k) are from the US as of july of last year accoring to XIVCensus.

Not to side track but if you're talking about FF14, about half of the active players (~320k) are from the US as of july of last year accoring to XIVCensus.

Except that number is low. There are millions of players now and probably more and more with a US focus.

Except that number is low. There are millions of players now and probably more and more with a US focus.
Maybe millions but not concuren users. FFXIV is a game you sub for month and do all the content then unsub for at least 6 months for the next patch. Only the weebos keep their sub going.

Maybe millions but not concuren users. FFXIV is a game you sub for month and do all the content then unsub for at least 6 months for the next patch. Only the weebos keep their sub going.

Uhh surre quick Google says there are 18 million weebs playing that game. I should make a persistent game for weebs then I could make billions.

Uhh surre quick Google says there are 18 million weebs playing that game. I should make a persistent game for weebs then I could make billions.
Total characters mad since 2.0 came out. There no way in hell there 18 million people playing it. SE potato servers wouldn't be able to handle it. SE isn't known to be honest with their numbers.

Total characters mad since 2.0 came out. There no way in hell there 18 million people playing it. SE potato servers wouldn't be able to handle it. SE isn't known to be honest with their numbers.

So only your made up numbers count?

Here is a source you can use... but I bet they are false too because you don't like them?

https://mmo-population.com/r/ffxiv

Not everything you read on reddit is true. ;)

Same, PSO was the first and only "MMO" type game I've ever played still to this day. Loved my Dreamcast on dial-up internet at the time, hah. I played a few other games online a lot on DC at the time and it worked surprisingly well over dial-up connection, even on racing games I played at the time.

Once PSO died on DC, I got PSO 1&2 on Gamecube and planned on getting the modem adapter for it so I could get back into it. But I couldn't find that modem adapter for sale anywhere at the time and I was just a kid that couldn't easily go online and order stuff like that either. I've since seen mods and private servers for the original PSO on DC that are apparently still active today, but I haven't cared enough to dig my DC out of storage in order to hack it and get it back online for it.

Time to dust off the dreamcast that is packed somewhere and get existed again like a kid.

Back