Sega Cuts Full-Year Profit Estimate By 90 Percent

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Wait, does this mean we’re not getting Dreamcast 2?

In the Entertainment Contents Business - essentially the games division - Sega cited "intensifying" competition within the Japanese market, and the need for longer development lead times as a result. This is likely a reference to the company's relatively barren schedule of new releases, which it claimed has also been altered by delays.

I am more curious by what else do they have besides a game devision. I think their real issue is making shit sonic games that nobody wants to play anymore. So they have no games that people want as all their eggs are in a single blue basket.

I am more curious by what else do they have besides a game devision. I think their real issue is making shit sonic games that nobody wants to play anymore. So they have no games that people want as all their eggs are in a single blue basket.

Arcade machines. It's still games I guess, but more pricey then $20 greatest hits collection on Xbox and Playstation.

Last time i touched / played on a Sega console was UT for the Dreamcast, and you want to talk about a slideshow...

I don't know where it all went wrong with Sega. It's a shame,I actually preferred the MasterSystem and Genesis over their competition,and the Dreamcast was a pretty good system that just didn't have the game support it needed.

The Steambox was original going to be a Sega console but we see how that fell through.

The Steambox was original going to be a Sega console but we see how that fell through.

citation_needed.jpg

I loved the Saturn, was a powerhouse for the 2D fighting games. The playstation couldn't touch it as far as they go.

Marvel vs Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Street Fighters, etc...

I don't know where it all went wrong with Sega. It's a shame,I actually preferred the MasterSystem and Genesis over their competition,and the Dreamcast was a pretty good system that just didn't have the game support it needed.

Sega Saturn didn't do very well, then afterwards they hit some bumps and made some unwise development choices. One of those being that they actually worked on two systems at the same time for awhile trying to decide which would be the actual replacement for the Saturn. Of course two R&D groups means twice the cost. They also lost a lawsuit during this time with 3DFX in regards to the projects.

Nintendo made this same mistake around the same time of thinking two teams was better than one. They had two teams working on virtual reality head sets. The team ran by the creator of the game boy created the virtual boy and had his prototype working before the other team head one working. Which the other team's unit would have cost about the same to make, but had full color displays instead of the red & black that you had with the virtual boy. However they went with the first to get one, if flopped and the poor creator was forced to live out the rest of his life stuck in the basement never allowed to lead another team in designing anything ever again until he died from a car accident.

Had Sega did a little better on the design process from the Saturn to the Dreamcast maybe they wouldn't have been in the hole as much and might have been able to keep going longer.

majority of their revenue is gambling machines, which have sold poorly. crappy mobile games doesn't help their situation either.

Sonic Booms reviews were so bad that even I, someone who absolutely loves Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Generations (But not Sonic Heros, Sonic Unleashed and Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006 which all suck) didn't buy it.Sega needs to spend more time on each game to make sure they're decent and no release so many of them.

The core gameplay mechanics are still good, but they could easily throw everything else out the window. Why not reboot the entire thing and set it in a world full of anthropomophized animals under threat of the robot forces of the evil (alien) Dr. Robotnik? Throw out all the other characters and if people make a big stink about it they can bring Tails back in Sonic Reboot 2 with a NEW VOICE ACTOR (not actress). Also they need to target the series at a family audience, not just little kids. Disney is great at this, putting in stuff for everyone and they've managed to stay relevant.

id buy a dreamcast 2 no doubt if it had continuations of their dreamcast 1 game library.

blue stinger 2, power stone 3, shenmue 3, more dynamite cop games, etc.

make it a console of exclusives. maybe give it a weird custom CPU/GPU that does most stuff just ok, but a few things very very well.

... i cant wish :(

The team ran by the creator of the game boy created the virtual boy and had his prototype working before the other team head one working. Which the other team's unit would have cost about the same to make, but had full color displays instead of the red & black that you had with the virtual boy.

My Virtual Boy does get people engaged though....it's a unique experience that most people have no idea ever existed. It sucks sure, but it's a unique experience that most people at least like trying for 5 minutes. :cool:

From Genesis to Dreamcast to pachinko....

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

They are sitting on a goldmine of IP and they are pachinko-ing their life away.

My Virtual Boy does get people engaged though....it's a unique experience that most people have no idea ever existed. It sucks sure, but it's a unique experience that most people at least like trying for 5 minutes. :cool:

I found the second person alive that owns one!!!!!! ;)

very sad. just a former shell of it's previous self. I remember reading some article probably 15 yrs ago how sega was aiming to become more powerful than ea. Well that didn't happen.

Most of the IP they own has been dragged through shit for so long its worth nothing. What they have done to Sonic alone should warrant the end of their existence as a company. Has any IP ever been so screwed up as much?

Sega is known for biting off more than they can chew, this is a case of having too much in development and running out of money.

Back