Sega Announces Mysterious "Fog Gaming"

erek

[H]F Junkie
Opinion?

"Sega also announced a new console for Japan, the miniaturized throwback Game Gear Micro. The extremely tiny console will come in four different color options, each with its own set of games. The console will launch on October 6 in Japan, and there's no word on a release in the West. Still, if you've ever wanted OutRun literally in the palm of your hand, this might be your best bet.

GameSpot has officially kicked off Play For All--a celebration of all things gaming. Join us as we bring you the summer's hottest news, previews, interviews, features, and videos, as well as raise money for COVID-19 relief efforts and Black Lives Matter with the help of our friends from around the gaming world. Check out the Play For All schedule for more."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-announces-mysterious-fog-gaming-program-will-/1100-6477989/

Sounds like marketing BS to me. I've seen "fog computing" bandied about for some time now by people trying to make bluetooth and such sound cooler than it is.

Think I would've preferred a rehash of the Nomad vs the Gear.

And, yeah, agree with the others - definitely too small to be playable (at least comfortably.)

Why? Why make this. It is smaller then the original game gear. So stupid.

Why? Why make this. It is smaller then the original game gear. So stupid.

Well it would have to be smaller than the original game gear. Gamegears with the million AAs needed were heavier than bricks and enormous.

What's yours? If you think something is news worthy, it should be worth commenting on rather than your consistent 1-3 word questions with every article and you should be posting your opinion as well if you're actually reading them.

My opinion is that is will probably have a low chance of taking off in Japan and an almost zero chance of taking off in the US, considering the bandwidth needed to stream multiple HD game streams out to the customers and how close in proximity you have to be to the servers/arcades. Streaming games is already becoming a somewhat crowded market as well and yet seems to have a relatively low adoption rate across all platforms. Stadia is probably the most ambitious game streaming service out right now and you see articles of games with empty servers online when people try to match up without cross-play with other platforms. Then there's the whole concern of high risk of losing your game licenses once the streaming service goes belly-up.

Sega is getting weird...
1591366727894.png

Opinion?

"Sega also announced a new console for Japan, the miniaturized throwback Game Gear Micro. The extremely tiny console will come in four different color options, each with its own set of games. The console will launch on October 6 in Japan, and there's no word on a release in the West. Still, if you've ever wanted OutRun literally in the palm of your hand, this might be your best bet.

GameSpot has officially kicked off Play For All--a celebration of all things gaming. Join us as we bring you the summer's hottest news, previews, interviews, features, and videos, as well as raise money for COVID-19 relief efforts and Black Lives Matter with the help of our friends from around the gaming world. Check out the Play For All schedule for more."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-announces-mysterious-fog-gaming-program-will-/1100-6477989/
People already have phones.

Put your games on Application stores and charge a decent price and stay away from pay-to-win models and you win without having to invest in manufacturing hardware.

People already have phones.

Put your games on Application stores and charge a decent price and stay away from pay-to-win models and you win without having to invest in manufacturing hardware.
They're selling these with OG titles.
They can release a 1$ "Arcade App" with Sonic (or whatever), and it's just a skinned Emulator.

Then sell each additional title for a few bucks, and call it a day. There's no Development needed or P2W anything needed.

They're selling these with OG titles.
They can release a 1$ "Arcade App" with Sonic (or whatever), and it's just a skinned Emulator.

Then sell each additional title for a few bucks, and call it a day. There's no Development needed or P2W anything needed.
50 Pounds each.= DOA

I mocked these....and then secretly went to look if Columns III was available on any of them, to make sure I memorized the right color to order......

Sega is still very popular in Japan, and this thing looks like more of a novelty than a serious hardware product.

Back