Seems like my SSD is bad, need a new IDE 50 pin drive

nickmpower

n00b
About a year ago i bought a Samsung 32gb ssd for my sony Vaio X505. About a month ago i had some problems with data disappearing. For example, while i could still play most of my 17gb music library in itunes only about 4gb would be displayed in windows explorer. I reinstalled windows and now I am having more problems. A couple of times windows has locked up and when i restarted it ran the checkdisk utility and stuff was being repaired for like 10 minutes.

What usually causes these drives to go bad like this?

Also is the Kingspec brand of drives good?

What usually causes these drives to go bad like this?

SSD technology is still pretty new for generalizations but it does sound like your drive is going bad.

Whether it's the drive or drive controller failing....I have no idea.

Does the drive still show full capacity?

If it's only a year old isn't the warranty still valid?

Last edited:
Well i bought it used on ebay because they were so damned expensive new so I doubt i can get a warranty. Plus i had to take one side of the case off so that it would physically fit in my computer but many have done this without any problems. It worked great for about 11 months.

oh and I forgot to add that when I had the first problems with data disappearing I was able to install a second copy of windows and could once again see all of my data. I back it all up then reformatted and installed windows again.

I'd be interested in buying the dying drive on the cheap just to mess with once you replace it. PM me. Good luck finding a replacement.

Well i bought it used on ebay

Warranty is out of the question.

oh and I forgot to add that when I had the first problems with data disappearing I was able to install a second copy of windows and could once again see all of my data. I back it all up then reformatted and installed windows again.

I'm assuming you did a repair install?

Regardless it sounds like it's failing to me.

I'm going to assume this drive will have SMART capabilities that may show something abnormal.

How 'bout posting the drive's model number?

no i just did a second install of windows - dual boot

the model number is MCBOE32G8APR-0XA

I also forgot to add that I have gotten a few blue screen of deaths. when restarted it says that it was related to the harddrive. I am not sure but it seems like the blue screen has mainly happened when i was moving or shifting the computer.

I had my drive formatted NTFS and tried FAT32 this time around

Last edited:
Umm sounds like you are only exploring the software end of things here. First off, I would connect the hard drive to another machine and back up your data. In case you don't know it's under Documents and Setting/YOURNAME(i.e. whatever you named your account) Backup my documents, desktop and favorites.
Now that your data is safe and secure. I looked on the Samsung drive and the only utility I could find is this:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/ES_Tool.html

Since this is DOS based and I don't usually deal with Samsung drives, I don't know if this works for SSDs or not. If this utility does work it should tell you what, if anything, is wrong with the drive. If the drive comes back with no problems my next step would be to see if there is an updated firmware on that drive. BTW that number you posted is the serial number I think, because I copied and pasted it into Samsung's site and it didn't recognize it. If there is an updated firmware for the drive, install it( there should be a guide on Samsung's site)
Then I would wipe and reload the OS on the drive. Then copy your data back that you backed up. See how it performs then.

I'm working on getting that program running but i ran HD tune several times and my max write is 3.6MB/s. yes three point six

Back