Seeking Halo or Halo type game advice...

So for some reason, I am itching to play Halo today. Often, FPS games make me nauseous, but for some reason Halo never does. I think it is because of the way it is optimized frame-rate wise for the 360.

If folks could lend me their thoughts, I’d appreciate it. All of the options I am presenting myself with can be accomplished w/ a trip to a local Best Buy, Game Stop, Micro Center or Target.

1. I have a PS3. What game offers the best opportunity for Halo Deathmatch style gameplay w/ least chance of giving me nausea.
2. What is the cheapest model of 360 I can buy that won’t have me kicking myself (ie, is an Arcade model good enough or is it too locked down from future proofing)? I know I am buying for a specific purpose, but one never ones to be locked out of upgrading/accessorizing.
3. Just buy Halo 2 for PC and an Xbox 360 Controller for PC. I have a decent rig (Core i7 2600k/560ti/16gb RAM). I am just wondering if a) anyone is actually playing on here and b) if the framerate is as solidly dialed in as the 360 version.
4. Some other AMAZING PC game that I have not thought of or heard of that offers similar arena/deathmatch play and has populated servers.

I'll try to answer…

First have you tried newer FPS? Games like Uncharted on PS3 even? I know people who get sick from older FPS like Half-Life 2 or FEAR1. These people feel well on newer games. It has something to do with the point of view or something like that.

1)Are there other FPS you've played. Halo is its own thing and I can't think of too many games like it. One of the few games you could load a clip into someone and only drop their shields. Killzone 3 is free MP until you reach a certain rank, just have to download from PSN. Try it out. It’s a bit of CoD, BF and Halo.

2)I would avoid any 360 with the 4GB. It’s just not enough HD space to do much. Everyone I know who does regreted it since 360 HD are so expensive alone. Other than that you should be fine.

3) I haven’t played Halo 2 on PC so can’t really answer. Seems like the cheapest way to go if there is still an online community.

4) Hard for me to answer since I’m a team oriented online gamer. Games like BF3 or TF2 for me.

Thanks man.

Now that you mention it, I have Killzone 2 and I do not think it bothers me. I can snag a copy of KZ3 to try. I have BF3 on PC, but I am such a noob that I get smoked immediately all the time. I used to end up just camping and sniping in BF2.

I will probably just stop and grab a copy of Killzone 3. I also totally forgot about Warsow on the PC. Not only is it free, its a lot of fun and looks like no other game.

** edit I didn't know what you meant by free to play. Will download when I get home! Thanks.

Yeah PSN has just the multiplayer for Killzone 3. It's F2P up till a certain rank. Only $15 if you want to keep playing, it even includes all of the DLC. No single player campaign though. Note KZ2 feel is very different to KZ3.

Shame you missed the Starhawk beta. I loved that game and it comes out next month.

Tribes Ascend is F2P and just came out on PC. TF2 is another free one.

1. killzone 3 is great.... but not really like halo

2. I would avoid a 360 just for halo unless you like having to pay microsoft $ just play games you already own online.

3. No halo 2 on the pc is awful. The netcode is garbage and the fov is actually worse then the console version. You can still play halo 2 on the original xbox with mostly south Americans on XLink Kai: Evolution

4. Highly recommend tribes ascend. Section 8 Prejudice is pretty good but the mulitplayer is dead most of the time. Ps3 version might be more active.

So for some reason, I am itching to play Halo today. Often, FPS games make me nauseous, but for some reason Halo never does. I think it is because of the way it is optimized frame-rate wise for the 360.

How many different FPS games have you tried? There's a lot of things that can cause nausea, I think the most common are low field of view and a swaying camera. For me the worst thing is a swaying camera.

I have tried many FPS, dating back to Killeak on the Ps1.

I don't know what it is about console shooters that does it to me. Halo seemingly is the one that doesn't bother me.

I am going to snag Tribes Ascend and the Killzone 3 multiplayer this morning.

Thanks for all of the input folks.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Halo CE for PC. Is it not sold in stores anymore or something?

I know it's old, but it's still loads of fun and still seems to have a sizable community.

Yes the oem ms harddrive is expensive, but you can get around it. Buy the 4gb version, then refurbished old style 60GB for 35. Watch video on you tube, on how to pop casing off and install in new xbox. Poof!

Hmnm, im not sure its worth getting an xbox for just 3 halo games.

Yes the oem ms harddrive is expensive, but you can get around it. Buy the 4gb version, then refurbished old style 60GB for 35. Watch video on you tube, on how to pop casing off and install in new xbox. Poof!

Hmnm, im not sure its worth getting an xbox for just 3 halo games.

Xbox hard drives have gone down alot. Old, external 120gb are going for around 30-35 bucks at auction on ebay now.

Back