Seeking advice and guidance...

fishoil

n00b
I'm currently in a Trade Adjustment program since my job left the states. I'm loving it! Everyone who worked with me now has a great opportunity. Three years of paid college in a high demand field. Not only will they pay for the classes but they will purchase the books, materials, and CERTIFICATIONS if I can prove it will help me land a job.

I went with computer networking. I've always been interested in computers and I have played with them a lot but I'm a long ways from being ready.

On with the question...

What books, websites, certifications do you recommend? Could you think of any sites that would prove they are needed to help with my cause?

So they are sending you to IT learning classes? If thats the case, i would suggest you take a few classes before looking for books and certs. There are simply to many areas that you can go into (VMware, security, switching/routing, web development, sys admin, programming, email)

Best idea would be to get the base knowledge of a few classes, then decide what really excites you and go from there

http://www.techexams.net/forums/

Fantastic site for certs. I use them all the time, some authors post there as well.

Thanks for the site! I'll look into more when I have some free time.

So they are sending you to IT learning classes? If thats the case, i would suggest you take a few classes before looking for books and certs. There are simply to many areas that you can go into (VMware, security, switching/routing, web development, sys admin, programming, email)

Best idea would be to get the base knowledge of a few classes, then decide what really excites you and go from there

I'm going to a local college for now. They have me taking all the pre requirements at the moment. In the fall semester I jump into a few computer related classes. I was hoping to get a list of certs so I could start working on them now, even tho they are paying for a lot of it, it can be a hassle to show/prove that it would greatly help me land a job.

I was hoping to get a list of certs so I could start working on them now, even tho they are paying for a lot of it, it can be a hassle to show/prove that it would greatly help me land a job.

But that all depends on what you want to do.

For instance if you are going into programming having an A+, CCNA, CISSP, and MCITP are going to be useless as you will use none of those skills to write code.

If you are fresh into this you really should wait a while to figure out what you like before spending money on certs. When I first got into the business I was doing linux server admin and cisco networking. I found that wasn't what I liked and now am working with windows environments and enterprise security. I would have never guessed I would have made that transition.

I guess some basic certs would be A+, Net+/CCNA, MCTS Server 2008, and if you can getting dell/hp/ibm hardware certified helps if your trying to get an entry level IT job.

But that all depends on what you want to do.

For instance if you are going into programming having an A+, CCNA, CISSP, and MCITP are going to be useless as you will use none of those skills to write code.

If you are fresh into this you really should wait a while to figure out what you like before spending money on certs. When I first got into the business I was doing linux server admin and cisco networking. I found that wasn't what I liked and now am working with windows environments and enterprise security. I would have never guessed I would have made that transition.

I guess some basic certs would be A+, Net+/CCNA, MCTS Server 2008, and if you can getting dell/hp/ibm hardware certified helps if your trying to get an entry level IT job.

I'm not going for programming. I'm looking more toward network admin, setting up networks, etc.

Back