SED displays at Canon. Holy S*****!

Xeero said:
could you imagine how small things would look at that resolution on 30in monitor?

That's why you need an OS that scales size properly for the resolution. Longhorn will do this.

Obi_Kwiet said:
That's why you need an OS that scales size properly for the resolution. Longhorn will do this.

And you would know this how?

And as for the 4000x3000 resolution, what fictional video card are you going to use to drive this resolution. A high resolution picture is nice and all but when it comes at the cost of everyting being 1fps it just wont work.

MaMMa said:
Response times of 1millisecond or EVEN LOWER!!!
Contrast Ratio of up to 100,000:1 !!!
Viewing angles of up to 160 degrees !!!
Can scale up to 50” of HDTV viewable goodness !!!
Blacks can go as low as 0.003 cd/m2 !!!
Maximum Resolutions will be 1,920x1,080 !!!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yeah, I think my monitor can hold off another couple years... ;)

You wouldn't run in such high resolutions, the purpose of them would be scaling lower resolutions without interpolation. If you have a SED monitor that with a native resolution of 6400x4800 for example then you can scale easily to any common resolution of the same aspect ratio.

640x480 would be 10:1 lines, 800x600 being 8:1 1280x960 being 5:1, 1600x1200 being 4:1 and etc. It would work fine with widescreen as well, other than you would end up with some unused pixels being your black bars above and below or in the case the SED is widescreen, right and left.

This would be a god send for anyone who likes to play older games, such as C&C TD/RA in my case, that don't support anything higher than 640x480 and it sucks to play with interpolation or a tiny screen area on any LCD panel currently available.

saber07 said:
This is why I didnt waste $800 on a 24 in. lcd widescreen. Just got the 24in. sony crt to hold me off till these are released.

I actually sold my big LCD for the Sony to do the same thing. I will spend a lot when something is better than this CRT in more than text and sexiness. I even think it's kind of weird how fast CRTs were dropped form production. Do they think EVERYONE cares more about how much space their screens take up then blacks, response time, etc? Oh well, makes em pretty cheap on ebay for me! :p

I'd say it's time they brought out something better.

Leviathan3328 said:
And you would know this how?

And as for the 4000x3000 resolution, what fictional video card are you going to use to drive this resolution. A high resolution picture is nice and all but when it comes at the cost of everyting being 1fps it just wont work.

Yes. I'm talking about running this monitor tomorrow on an OS called Longhorn, which is comprised of what, and only what you have heard about it up until this particular moment.

:rolleyes:

logo29a said:
It does this by creating a very small black hole which actually sucks in the light! :eek:

Yeah, but imagine how HEAVY it would be! :eek:

Well, *I* thought it was funny...

But yeah, SED = sexx0rzz!!!!111one

Ankle said:
A little something else to drool over.

Unlike SED, you can buy one of these right now. It will cost only $49,000 USD. ;)

Heh, interesting. Probably won't ever hit the bigtime, since its just fancy backlighting on an outdated LCD display. (I didn't see any bragging about response times. Probably because they are the same as a typical LCD.)

yeah i've been wanting SEDS for awhile

Prob wont get one for many years tho

/me hugs his 2405fpw

Ruffy said:
yeah i've been wanting SEDS for awhile

Prob wont get one for many years tho

/me hugs his 2405fpw

You could always get SARS instead.

The brightside backlight can be used with any LCD. The $49,000 is because its a prototype.

Once implemented it will be a nice tweak to the design of LCD's.... an LED backlight.

Not bulbs to burn out eventually. Wish they'd hurry.

logo29a said:
Nope, It'll be a CRP...cathode ray Panel. :p
While you're basically correct, I very much doubt that this abbreviation will find much use ;)

There aren't really 50 inch CRTs, so thats a big plus for the home theater crowd. "tube" like picture at 50 in+.... bust out the drool buckets. I hope it's everything they say it is. CRT images are really the best. Plasma is cool, dot pitch is necessarily too big though. (i.e. just less flexibility, you won't see a 40" 1080p plasma) and LCD's and projection sets, don't even need to explain.

This is the supposedly anti reflection filter which in fact produces the opposite effect. It reinforces contrast but tends to reflect objects. In fact it only does that when a light source is placed in front of the monitor. Usually, in the dark for example or if lighting repartition is good we don’t see our reflection.

are we going backward? I hate the reflection from the sun. I can't see anything, w/ LCD, it doesn't reflect as much as the OLED.

The above quote is from page 2 of the canon report.

the brightside (c) display is only a backlight technology. Very cool, but you'll notice they say nothing in their multi page promotion about RESPONCE TIME. That's because the monitor does not at all improve pannel technology. This is cool stuff that could help LCD in the interim before SED wipes it out, but I think it's a long shot.

Back