Security software on top of Norton Internet Security 2011?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by V-Chip, May 12, 2011.

1. V-Chip

V-Chip [H]Lite

Just got new Windows 7 64-bit machine and loaded up with Norton Internet Security 2011. Wondering what other security software (antivirus, anti-spyware, etc.) is recommended to supplement this security protection without causing problems or becoming too redundant. Thanks

2. -Jess-

-Jess- Limp Gawd

I don't normally keep up with the statistics about security suites, so I'm not sure how effective/efficient Norton 2011 is. :eek:

But from what I use - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is a pretty nice program to have installed and perform regular scans with.
    Additionally, there were quite a few recommendations for Spybot S&D in the past, may be something you would want to look in to.

Also, the usual (just for a general reminder) - keep your OS patched and updated, keep your general use software updated, scan the files that you download, be wary of rogue software and try to develop safe browsing habits. Nice antivirus software can offer only so much protection. The rest is pretty much up to you.

There are quite a few more that the other members here may want to point out as well ;)

3. Riddlinkidstoner

Riddlinkidstoner [H]ardness Supreme

NIS 2011 should cover all bases.

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

Setup one of the safe DNS services on your router....like OpenDNS, or Norton DNS, or Comodo DNS.