Security Robot Suspended After Colliding With a Toddler

HardOCP News

[H] News
That robot that ran over a little kid at a mall earlier this week (here) has been suspended until further notice. The incident is being reviewed and the company CEO has issued an apology. The image below shows the murderbot targeting its next victims.

“Our primary mission is to serve the public’s overall safety, and we take any circumstance that would compromise that mission very seriously,” said William Santana Li, Knightscope’s chief executive. The Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto, Calif., said it is investigating the incident, and has docked its robots until the investigation is complete. The robots also report for duty at Qualcomm Inc., Uber Technologies Inc., and other corporate campuses and sports arenas.

I don't understand how these bots are superior to a network of cameras (which would be cheaper, wouldn't it?) It's not like they can legally apprehend suspects. They seem like an answer to a question no one asked. But maybe I'm not forward-thinking enough.

I don't understand how these bots are superior to a network of cameras (which would be cheaper, wouldn't it?) It's not like they can legally apprehend suspects. They seem like an answer to a question no one asked. But maybe I'm not forward-thinking enough.

They aren't. I really don't know where they are going with this.

High powered laser pointers will take out cameras and I'd imagine this robot too. A cheap 5mW laser pointer will blind a camera. With 2000 mW+ lasers being available for purchase in the $200 range literally destroying the sensor can be done from far away in seconds.

Why one ask, well this is just the testing phase you see. Soon these here robot's will be equip with tazers, control drones that drop nets, throw caltrops and bolo's. This small child was a test too, no one marched or cried fowl in the streets so this is a green light.

As a grown man I often collide with toddlers myself. They wander all over the store and stand right in your path when walking. Why punish the robot over this? Bunch of damn Luddites...

why not both? skynet can't do its job without an army of robot slaves

Suspended until further notice. In other words, You're getting sued and you won't have anymore money to fund this program.

Fucker will probably get paid time off for his suspension and the Internal Affairs investigation.

I have serious doubts that this actually happened, and that this isn't just a case of some dumb bitch trying to cash in via a lawsuit. Witnesses are reporting that the kid ran into the robot, not the other way around.

I almost wonder if there is a guy hiding inside controlling the damn thing......its surely big enough to house someone inside.

Don't worry, the FBI / DOJ will issue the robot the "Clinton Pass" since RobotThugLivesMatters.....

As a grown man I often collide with toddlers myself.
^this. Just last night at Arby's I was assaulted by a tyke wandering around without anyone with him. I'm trying to eat my roasted beast, and there's this little kid swinging a green toy, banging it at my table. Parents nowhere to be found. So after a couple of minutes of trying to get him to stop, finally mommy shows up and apologises for the kid. They didn't even miss him when he wandered off. Rugrats should be on a leash.

So, isn't anyone going to ask where the mommy was when jr was being assaulted by the robot? Or do we have to make the world safe for 16 month olds to go out alone? That's kind of absurd.

So already we are treating robot cops more harshly than normal cops.

It acts as a more visible deterrent compared to cameras. A lot of security has a strong deterrent based component.

It also does have more sensors compared to a typical video security system (such as audio).

Back