Security Robot Suspended After Colliding With a Toddler

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Jul 14, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

That robot that ran over a little kid at a mall earlier this week (here) has been suspended until further notice. The incident is being reviewed and the company CEO has issued an apology. The image below shows the murderbot targeting its next victims.

“Our primary mission is to serve the public’s overall safety, and we take any circumstance that would compromise that mission very seriously,” said William Santana Li, Knightscope’s chief executive. The Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto, Calif., said it is investigating the incident, and has docked its robots until the investigation is complete. The robots also report for duty at Qualcomm Inc., Uber Technologies Inc., and other corporate campuses and sports arenas.

2. Quix

Quix 2[H]4U

I don't understand how these bots are superior to a network of cameras (which would be cheaper, wouldn't it?) It's not like they can legally apprehend suspects. They seem like an answer to a question no one asked. But maybe I'm not forward-thinking enough.

/usr/sbin and Nukester like this.
  3. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

Because cameras cant run over little kids. Duh. ;)

mullet likes this.
  4. Nukester

Nukester [H]ard|Gawd

They aren't. I really don't know where they are going with this.

5. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Won't someone think of the robots!?

6. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

#MeatbagLivesMattter

7. /usr/sbin

/usr/sbin Successfully Trolled by Megalith

High powered laser pointers will take out cameras and I'd imagine this robot too. A cheap 5mW laser pointer will blind a camera. With 2000 mW+ lasers being available for purchase in the $200 range literally destroying the sensor can be done from far away in seconds.

8. AK0tA

AK0tA Gawd

Why one ask, well this is just the testing phase you see. Soon these here robot's will be equip with tazers, control drones that drop nets, throw caltrops and bolo's. This small child was a test too, no one marched or cried fowl in the streets so this is a green light.

9. janas19

janas19 [H]ard|Gawd

As a grown man I often collide with toddlers myself. They wander all over the store and stand right in your path when walking. Why punish the robot over this? Bunch of damn Luddites...

nightfly likes this.
  10. PrincessDie

PrincessDie Gawd

NO DISASSEMBLE!

Wrecked Em likes this.
  11. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

Well as long as it didn't yell "EXTERMINATE" things are all right ;)

tungt88, mullet and VIC-20 like this.
  12. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

why not both? skynet can't do its job without an army of robot slaves

13. wgm3446

wgm3446 Gawd

Suspended until further notice. In other words, You're getting sued and you won't have anymore money to fund this program.

14. otherweeb

otherweeb Gawd

Calling the ACLU as we type. Robot lives matter!

15. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

Fucker will probably get paid time off for his suspension and the Internal Affairs investigation.

Wrecked Em likes this.
  16. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

I have serious doubts that this actually happened, and that this isn't just a case of some dumb bitch trying to cash in via a lawsuit. Witnesses are reporting that the kid ran into the robot, not the other way around.

17. Wrecked Em

Wrecked Em [H]ardness Supreme

#childrenwithstupidnameslivesmatter

18. natos

natos Limp Gawd

I almost wonder if there is a guy hiding inside controlling the damn thing......its surely big enough to house someone inside.

19. Wizard220

Wizard220 Limp Gawd

Don't worry, the FBI / DOJ will issue the robot the "Clinton Pass" since RobotThugLivesMatters.....

20. nightfly

nightfly 2[H]4U

^this. Just last night at Arby's I was assaulted by a tyke wandering around without anyone with him. I'm trying to eat my roasted beast, and there's this little kid swinging a green toy, banging it at my table. Parents nowhere to be found. So after a couple of minutes of trying to get him to stop, finally mommy shows up and apologises for the kid. They didn't even miss him when he wandered off. Rugrats should be on a leash.

So, isn't anyone going to ask where the mommy was when jr was being assaulted by the robot? Or do we have to make the world safe for 16 month olds to go out alone? That's kind of absurd.

janas19 likes this.
  21. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

So already we are treating robot cops more harshly than normal cops.

22. limitedaccess

limitedaccess [H]ardness Supreme

It acts as a more visible deterrent compared to cameras. A lot of security has a strong deterrent based component.

It also does have more sensors compared to a typical video security system (such as audio).