Security Robot Injures Child At Mall

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently it was "Murderbot Monday" at this mall yesterday. It sounds like a blast! Bring the kids down for a fun day of activities like "robot rampage" and "traumatized and trampled!" Fun for the whole family. :D

The parents of a young boy who got knocked down and run over by a security robot at Stanford Shopping Center want to get the word out to prevent others from getting hurt. They said the machine is dangerous and fear another child will get hurt. Stanford Shopping Center's security robot stands 5' tall and weighs 300 pounds.

Since when do we have security robots that look like they belong in some shitty 50's sci-fi show?

64524135.jpg

These "robots" move pretty slow, you can Google videos of them in action, my bet, the kid was running around and the parents were not close, the kid thought it was cool, ran in front of it or into it getting knocked down to close to the robots wheels for it to notice him and kept going. With how slow they move had the kid been within normal distance from the parents they would have had more than enough time to grab the kid or push the robot over/away.

These "robots" move pretty slow, you can Google videos of them in action, my bet, the kid was running around and the parents were not close, the kid thought it was cool, ran in front of it or into it getting knocked down to close to the robots wheels for it to notice him and kept going. With how slow they move had the kid been within normal distance from the parents they would have had more than enough time to grab the kid or push the robot over/away.

I found a video of a re-creation

This robot needs to be sued. It broke Robot Law #1 and need to stand trial in Robot Court before a jury of its robot peers. I hope the robot judge throws the operators book at him.

Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics"
  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Timmy, get away from the gorilla cage. FU momma I'm going in there. You can't stop me! Lassie come quick Timmy fell into the gorilla cage! This has the markings of another fine example of "lack of parental control?"

On more than a few occasions I've had to take evasive action to keep from mowing down toddlers with my shopping cart at the local Costco.

They run in and out of aisles like little gremlins while their parents do their best to ignore them.

Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics"
  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Yeah, because these are totally like a real thing. :)

His name is Harwin. Not Timmy. Where did Harwin come from anyway? Never heard anyone with that name. Like Erwin in Chinese?

The robots are coming. Obey!

How is this any different than running into traffic? The robot didn't hunt him down, chase him down the store's aisles, then run him over. The kid got in the way of the robot, which didn't have the sensory equipment or programming necessary to figure out how to resolve the situation properly.

How is this any different than running into traffic? The robot didn't hunt him down, chase him down the store's aisles, then run him over. The kid got in the way of the robot, which didn't have the sensory equipment or programming necessary to figure out how to resolve the situation properly.

Exactly! The robot successfully neutralized the rambunctious human. End story. He's lucky they don't use the 'Fullback' model.

Exactly! The robot successfully neutralized the rambunctious human. End story. He's lucky they don't use the 'Fullback' model.
Lol fullback model. That kid would have been plowed through the defensive line store shelf.

The parents of a young boy who got knocked down and run over by a security robot at Stanford Shopping Center want to get the word out to prevent others from getting hurt. They said the machine is dangerous and fear another child will get hurt. Stanford Shopping Center's security robot stands 5' tall and weighs 300 pounds. grossly exaggerate what happened so they can sue for damages and get a big settlement check.
Fixed that for you.

It doesn't look like the robot even moves. All the footage has it in 1 place, and totally immobile. I wonder if it even really does anything......looks pointless, like its just a statue.

It doesn't look like the robot even moves. All the footage has it in 1 place, and totally immobile. I wonder if it even really does anything......looks pointless, like its just a statue.

It looks like a giant suppository.

It would be awesome if that robot had a taser and some pepper spray.

On more than a few occasions I've had to take evasive action to keep from mowing down toddlers with my shopping cart at the local Costco.

They run in and out of aisles like little gremlins while their parents do their best to ignore them.

Do you know how damn hard it is to not just want to punt, knock over, and/or trip these little gremlins when they are running around like that? Every time it happen I want to make the child fall over and get hurt. If your little crotch fruit is going to run around into people while you ignore them then they should be fair game for punishment.

Do you know how damn hard it is to not just want to punt, knock over, and/or trip these little gremlins when they are running around like that? Every time it happen I want to make the child fall over and get hurt. If your little crotch fruit is going to run around into people while you ignore them then they should be fair game for punishment.

I have 4 kids and I'm always on my younger three about that. "Pay attention to where the hell your going! Your lucky they were nice and didn't just run you over!". Drives me nuts when parents let their kids just wander around not paying any attention to where they are.

wtf, these things exist? And it looks like some junk thrown together from the 80s

Reminds me of that Better off Ted episode with the automatic door that could not see black people, except here it's short people.

Back