Security - keeping someone locked out of a box

evilmonkey

Limp Gawd
I have a dual athlon mp 2ghz that a friend and I are wanting to experiment with, making it a server. Primarily file server but perhaps a domain controller. The issue is it will be hosted at another persons house and quite frankly this person is too nosey/curious. Is there a way to keep them out of the box other than bios password, disabling administrator account? He could easily reset the cmos and use erd commander to get in. I have briefly investigated hardware keys but I haven't found out how to make one, perhaps out of a normal flash drive.

host it at your own house? surely it will be mega bastarding slow if it over a wan?

the place where it will be hosted has fios, also would mess around with remote administration if possible

you can use remote administration if the box is 50cm away from you, your wasting your time hosting a file server over the internet. I had my torrent box on a 100mbit line in a datacenter and it still wasnt fast enough for file serving.
its not just the servers upload rate its your download rate, and the slowness in general of the internet.

thank you for telling me i'm wasting my time :D it's an experiment, and the person i'm trying to keep out does not know but the person who is actually in charge of the house does know and pays for the internet

You can remote into any Windows Server, 2000, XP, and Vista box anywhere. All you need is remote desktop enabled and the IP address to that computer, and remote into it using RDC.

The only difference between remoting into regular Windows and the Servers are regular Windows can only allow one user per session. If you remote into it, it will be locked on-site, but enabled for you remotely.

Windows Server on the other hand will remain unlock everywhere.

The only safest way to keep a person out of your server is to lock it in a closet. Even putting the power button behind a locked door of a steel case won't help because you could still reset thee computer by simply pulling the plug behind it.

But as long as he knows the IP address, he can also remote in using RDC, but he would need to know the password. Just use a hard and long password that makes no sense whatsoever, like #$DFfgsvsEERE@#2342341sdddsad

thank you for telling me i'm wasting my time :D it's an experiment, and the person i'm trying to keep out does not know but the person who is actually in charge of the house does know and pays for the internet

ahh i was under the impression that you wanted to use this as a production file server.

Back