Security cameras and HDMI degradation

amrogers3

Gawd
Hi guys, I am not sure where exactly to post this question, if this sub forum is incorrect, let me know and I will repost.

I have a security camera NVR (recorder) with 2 HDMI and 1 VGA. I am trying to pipe video to 3 TVs. I would like to pipe audio as well but that won't be possible with VGA so that leaves 2 HDMIs and 3 TVs. Also VGA is so big, it is going to be hard to run through attic and down walls.

The runs for each TV are around 42', 20', and 20'.

I have read there is signal degradation in HDMI after 25'. I am trying to stay at 4K. What is the best way to pipe video/audio to the 3 TVs?

This is for a home install so I dont have $$$$ to spend on top tier equipment. Any helpful suggestions from you guys would be much appreciated? Is this possible or am I SoL?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Dragon!

I also see Monoprice has an optical version. What is your opinion on the two, active vs optical?

Need a HDMI splitter since I have 3 TVs and only 2 HDMIs. You used any of the Monoprice splitters or recommend something else?
havent used optical so not sure. yeah youll need a splitter, monoprice is fine.

I think I have some previous version of those monoprice cables. They work okay. I've had them not 'sync' on certain sources/displays.

Monoprice stuff can be really great value, just keep in mind that if you want this to 'just work' day-in and day-out, you may want to go with another brand like cable matters, tripplite, etc.

Also, if you cat5 cable accessible by the televisions, a distribution system like this one might make more sense:
https://www.cablematters.com/c-140-distribution-boxes.aspx

No matter what you get, I'd avoid buying it amazon or any other 'marketplace' site that can potentially have fakes. You want the real deal for this to work.

Slike SamriD's reply, I'd go for extenders, rather than cables.
Do note that you're probably not going to use Cat5e but rather Cat6 and above. They are also not network devices so you're not going to be able to plug them into switches etc.
Other than that, the few I've used have been fine, you'll need power at both ends but that's not a problem either.
besides monoprice.com I've also bought from parts-express.com. I've never tired the wireless ones. I also believe it's possible to use ones that only work in pairs after an HDMI splitter but check the docs and parts-express has support you can ask.

Sorry, I meant to reply yesterday. I haven't actually bough CAT5 or 6 from monoprice, however I would consider them when purchasing. It's one of those things that are bought enough by people in the know so, their reviews should be fairly on the spot. The only thing I did see was there was some stuff called Cat7 that wasn't 1000mhz rated and I thought it had to be in order to be Cat7 but I've not looked into it that much.

Back