Security camera system for motel

Lunas

[H]F Junkie
I work at a small motel my boss wants to expand and move the security system into the office the building is about 1000 feet long and made of brick and steel which has made getting the wi-fi system to work right a big pain. He currently has 3 cameras hooked up to an adt system and would like to upgrade it and/or move it from the ex-manager's apt to the office. The building is mostly cinder block making cables rather difficult to run and wireless might not work well there is a rj45 lines running into the office. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any real solutions i could try before i make my recommendations. Or at least point me in the right direction.

What is your budget?
Are you looking for traditional analog cameras? Or IP?
What kind of footage retention are you looking for?
What is your budget?
What is your budget?

I would say the ceilings are a mix of drop down concrete and drywall the building was constructed in the 70s if it helps WI-fi has issues propagating.
Budget 0-1000 max the lower the price the more likely it will be done correctly
As for data retention I would say 7 days minimum no greater than 30.
We would want about 6-8 cameras on the first floor and at least 6 on the upper floor building is about 1000 feet long

1000 feet is well beyond the reach of wifi and you're going to run into UTP cable length issues. You're going to need fibre-optic. Something like one of these. Cinderblock isn't too much of an issue - just drill a hole through it. Fibre will need a conduit, of course.

For $1000 your looking at one of the cheap budget kits, a couple spools of cable, and a ton of bits to drill through the cinderblock.

1k is enough for about 1 1/2 good cameras.

LOL @ the budget

ask your boss if he would rather spend $5000 on something halfways decent or get robbed.

Well currently he has a kit by adt it is 3 of the shittiest cameras i have seen... And we need to relocate it. i have been scratching my head trying to get a kit setup like he has that fits what he wants

he wants us to be able to monitor it from the office
he wants it to record 7or more days at a time
he wants to cover a city block long building 660-900 feet long 2 story rooms on either side 4 hall ways passing from front to back i would say adequate coverage could be done with a total of 16 cameras
8 upstairs 8 on the lower level. I guess putting the dvr in the center of the building then using the internet remote viewing in the office i guess using 2 dvr might be the best to split the building into 2 halfs and each half gets a dvr....

Well currently he has a kit by adt it is 3 of the shittiest cameras i have seen... And we need to relocate it. i have been scratching my head trying to get a kit setup like he has that fits what he wants

he wants us to be able to monitor it from the office
he wants it to record 7or more days at a time
he wants to cover a city block long building 660-900 feet long 2 story rooms on either side 4 hall ways passing from front to back i would say adequate coverage could be done with a total of 16 cameras
8 upstairs 8 on the lower level. I guess putting the dvr in the center of the building then using the internet remote viewing in the office i guess using 2 dvr might be the best to split the building into 2 halfs and each half gets a dvr....

Tell him he forgot a zero in his budget. Even using the cheapest, crappiest cameras off of ebay and the cheapest cat5 you can find, you still won't get 16 cameras setup for $1000.

i was thinking something like this but with longer bnc to bnc lines another solution i was looking at was rj45 ip cameras on our network

we have a wireless network in the building with coverage issues as in some of the rooms despite the ap being well within range of them they have connectivity issues...

humm http://www.securitycameraworld.com/Accessories/VB-202E.asp#

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-CCTV-Pa...748?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ad4dfefc

10 cams for $465....definitely cheap, definitely chinese

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833212005

4 cheap wifi routers $112. run cat5 between 4 wifi routers = 250' runs.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10233&cs_id=1023304&p_id=885&seq=1&format=2

1000' of cat5e $83.24

one old computer loaded up with zoneminder to control them all.

total $660.24 without computer. that leaves you $339.76 to build a computer or upgrade something to run zoneminder on. or if you're lazy like me hire someone to run all that cat5

www.zoneminder.com

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ubnt makes the airvision.

i would be using these over anything else.

1000ft building not a big deal you just need to put switches in place. sure you have a closet every 200 or so feet. that will also cut down on switching costs.

i would put a 4-8 port poe in each location, get the UBNT instant poe, the airvision camera and then hav ea server.

sure these cameras aren't the highest quality but will be better than anything analog and are cheap

If your out of NY, our company can help you, we do this all day, if not heres what you need.

Building #1 (where the 3 cameras are) will need whats called a video encoder. It will take the analog cameras, and convert them to IP which can be read over a network to the DVR. 4 port encoder box is about $670

Building #2 (where DVR needs to be relocated to) will be just that, the DVR. Now I don't know what you have so im going to price this out on the assumption your going new (because the encoder box i mentioned, won't work with anything but the system im proposing). DVR itself would cost about $1,500 with no connections for cameras. It would be an IP only system. If you wanted to hookup some analog cameras then add:

$180 for 4 additional analog cameras
$250 for 8 additional analog cameras (or $600 if you want higher frame rates)
$1100 if you want 16 additional analog cameras

Then you'll need to connect the two buildings together with wifi. We use ubiquiti products so you are looking at about $180 for a pair of antennas. You'll need a clear line of sight to get a good signal although if there are some trees it should work fine, their stuff works pretty well with obstructions.

We do a lot of exactly what you need. We do MANY sites that have 2-3 cameras on one building, but their DVR is in a central place, as long as we can throw antennas on, or the buildings are connected via the internet or on the same lan, we're good.

If you have a dedicated internet connection in each building, you could do it over the internet as well

EDIT: I see now you mentioned one building. You should just hire a professonal, but it'll cost. Brick is nothing, doesnt phase us. We do this day in and day out, but honestly you are looking at REAL costs to just run wires at about $150 per wire run for coax, same price for Cat5, but cat5 requires more expensive cameras. DVR prices are above, you would not need the encoder then.

Last edited:
Back