Security Breach Results In Data Sent to Iran

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
A security company in Pittsburgh has discovered that engineering and communications information about Marine One, the US Presidential helicopter, was sent to an IP address in Tehran, Iran. The source, according to the report, was from a defense contractor that had a file sharing program on one of their computers that apparently shared out that file, along with other sensitive items. “Whoops” doesn’t adequately describe this snafu.

"What appears to be a defense contractor in Bethesda, MD had a file sharing program on one of their systems that also contained highly sensitive blueprints for Marine One," Boback said. Tiversa also found sensitive financial information about the cost of the helicopter on that same computer.

lets hope they don't legislate against file sharing apps, since it wasn't its fault. operator error for having installed :rollseye:

Amazing timing for the 'breech', knowing that they were under criticism for buying several helicopters that cost more individually than 'air force one' does. This in essence will seal the deal. More shafting to the masses! YAY!

bearshare ftw...hate that crappy p2p, it'll trick you into sharing your whole hard drive if you let it

The Presidential helicopter? Geez. It would be bad enough to be a normal army unit, let alone the Obamacopter.

Maybe this was a conspiracy by Obama to justify his new 28 helicopters costing $400M each after McCain called him out on it.. LOL. :p

oh noez teh big scary (nonexistant) iranian terrorists might take our freedom copter...whatever shall we do, lets all throw money at the government until we feel safe again....

oh noez teh big scary (nonexistant) iranian terrorists might take our freedom copter...whatever shall we do, lets all throw money at the government until we feel safe again....
I think it justifies more bailouts and an increase in the top marginal tax rate. Might as well throw in another trillion on the budget too.

Sir we've discovered the plans to Marine One... it says if you shoot this exhaust port after traveling along a long narrow trench...

So it just accidentally went to an IP in Iran?

It wasn't specific about 'what 'file sharing' software it was. Technically AIM is a file sharing software and so is any FTP program or even email... it didn't specifically say P2P. Otherwise I think it wouldn't be just Iran that would have it.

As long as this is not for the NEW marine one, otherwise that would be an epic waste of tax payer money as they would be forced to scrap/change the program.

I hope this company gets put out of business.

no big deal... its a friggin helicopter people... you dont need an instruction manual how to destroy one. I say move on. Also how in the world was the government not blocking external connections or how did that get through the firewall??

no big deal... its a friggin helicopter people... you dont need an instruction manual how to destroy one. I say move on. Also how in the world was the government not blocking external connections or how did that get through the firewall??
Actually, what data they obtained may have given them work-arounds for the systems that the current helicopter contains. It very well could give them the information they need in order to carry out a successful attack against it.

Something I cannot understand is why terminals with highly sensitive information on them are allowed to be connected to the internet is beyond me.

Intranets people!

Mistakes like this do not happen if the user terminals are not connected to the internet.

Actually, what data they obtained may have given them work-arounds for the systems that the current helicopter contains. It very well could give them the information they need in order to carry out a successful attack against it.

I can assure you that while there may be some interesting information in those files, there is absolutely nothing that would compromise the AAR/ALE-47 / APR-39 / ALQ-144 SPS/ECM systems installed on the VH-60, its the highly classified (and tightly controlled) software in those systems that makes the magic happen. Interestingly enough the VH-3 which was shown in the video is not the aircraft which had information released. The new Marine 1 helicopter is a derivative of the EH-101 called the VH-71 Kestral.

While it makes bad press, nothing was learned that isn't already known or could be easily obtained.

I'd never go as far as to say a man made system couldn't be compromised.

I can assure you that while there may be some interesting information in those files, there is absolutely nothing that would compromise the AAR/ALE-47 / APR-39 / ALQ-144 SPS/ECM systems installed on the VH-60, its the highly classified (and tightly controlled) software in those systems that makes the magic happen. Interestingly enough the VH-3 which was shown in the video is not the aircraft which had information released. The new Marine 1 helicopter is a derivative of the EH-101 called the VH-71 Kestral.

While it makes bad press, nothing was learned that isn't already known or could be easily obtained.

Cool story. Where'd you get it?

I'd never go as far as to say a man made system couldn't be compromised.

if you understood what those systems are, and taken in the context of what I wrote, "schematics" will not allow a compromise of those systems.

if you understood what those systems are, and taken in the context of what I wrote, "schematics" will not allow a compromise of those systems.
Perhaps you don't understand. I'd never go as far as to say a man made system couldn't be compromised.

Regardless if these prints are the key to bringing down Marine One or not, who the hell does p2p at work?

Perhaps you don't understand. I'd never go as far as to say a man made system couldn't be compromised.

Well no kidding Mr. perfect.

Obviously you are one of those people that would argue with a stop sign out of "principle".

I didn't post my reply to so you could take what I said out of context and try to make a point out of something that wasn't even said in what I wrote. I have a knowledge of these systems because we use them in my chosen profession and understand how they function.

Having the schematics of these systems is no bigger deal than having a schematic of the insides of a PC... its the software that makes it all work together.. software that is kept in a classified safe and is under armed guard when it leaves that safe, and is signed in and out on classified control rosters.

I wouldn't say that a man made system couldn't be compromised

so yes your right.. feel better now??

I guess that's why we pay these contracts huge bucks.... no surprise to me. So much waste in the military contractors it's sick. There's more contractor's in Iraq then there are troops ffs! WTF? and how much money do you think EACH one is making? No wonder the country's financially fucked.

Back to the situation, just how the hell stupid do you have to be to have a file sharing program on the same computer as classified information? That's just beyond dumb.

Who doesn't sleep through OPSEC?

It's not like it's hard to follow. 90+% of it is common sense...though I guess the problem here is lacking that common sense in the first place. :rolleyes:

Loose lips sink ships!

Now it's: File sharers shoot down Presidents!

I think it justifies more bailouts and an increase in the top marginal tax rate. Might as well throw in another trillion on the budget too.

probably right, because now they need to build a new one so we can feel safe 2 trillion dollars later.

cost of helicopter, maybe 2 mil....

Something tells me said person will never be able to work at any job again that requires a security clearance higher than ass kiser

There's no security in obscurity. If the documents put the helicopter in jeopardy in any way, it's the designers who are at fault.

Eh, I know he already replied, but I will say that he's right. I wouldn't go as far to say there are schematics out there, but there is open source data on what kind of defense systems Marine One uses....and if you're a decent engineer, you could have a pretty good alpha mock-up in a month. Making it work, on the other hand.....

But hey, e-peen++++. You just earned yourself another inch!

Back